Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I rewatched McHale's speech, and then Colbert, followed by Meyers', Kimmel's, and Conan's. Then McHale's one more time. I think Joel's had an edge that none of those had, and I liked it. It wasn't polite, it was him doing the Soup but for Washington DC and I thought that was great.

I'm not even a huge McHale fan, I don't have cable and I only watched the first three seasons of Community before getting bored as hell. It just had an honesty to it, it didn't feel neutered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

The most I'd want is them to make very sure that there isn't a gold fringe on the courtroom's flag when they get hauled in.

Two flags next to each other, one with fringe and one without.

Every day, swap which one is closer to the judge.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

OwlBot 2000 posted:

No, but that's what conservatives think will happen. They believe it is second only to 9/11 in significance and will be shocked and utterly lost when they realize that, once again, nobody cares. I know DnD gets accused of being an echo chamber but the amount of talking point coordination between Fox, Drudge and right-wing radio is both impressive and hilarious, but it gives people the ability to know what Republicans will say before they even open their mouths.

Considering the strategy they've backed themselves into, I don't think hyping Benghazi is a bad play at the moment, even if it is a cynical and short-term play. It's one of those stories you can just make motions at and people's minds fill in the blanks with what they want to think happened.

Not something you'd want to pull out during a presidential debate (lol Romney), but a decent enough plan for a turn-out based midterm election considering what they have to work with right now.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's the same thing they did with Clinton: keep throwing poo poo until something sticks. The Obama Administration has been remarkably clean so coming up with scandals has been surprisingly difficult. Since Obama scandals have to do double duty serving as both red meat and dog whistles (similar, but slightly different concepts) the absence of them has been all the more frustrating. But Benghazi is a perfect fusion of all the right wing talking points. You've got dead Americans, a nice Carter comparison, Muslims, weak on foreign policy, Africa . . . there is just so much there. The fact that there is no "there there" is simply unbelievable given that all the other pieces are there. So just keep on beating that drum!

But while Benghazi is the most recent one, it's not like it is novel. ACORN and Fast & Furious were the big talking points before it. Equally vacuous but served their target demographics well.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeaaaahhh not gonna happen, though.

The "game plan" is "make drat sure nobody ever says Obama and Hillary did a better job in Libya than Bush did in Iraq."

Well, until Obama and Hillary decide to invade Libya with 1/3 of the force the military recommends on completely false pretenses and then keep 100,000+ U.S. soldiers there for a loving decade spending multiple trillions of dollars only to crawl home having accomplished nothing whatsoever except killing hundreds and hundreds of thousands of innocent people, killing 4000+ Americans, maiming and mutilating tens of thousands more Americans, bankrupting the loving country, and squandering any and all goodwill and moral authority the United States could ever claim to have that's going to be a pretty easy claim to prove.

Just in case anyone forgot what a horrendous shitshow that whole thing was with the current "Bush is rehabilitated!" talking point.

How long do you think it will take before they start claiming Iraq was the Democrats' fault?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My next band will be called "Ben Ghazi and the Dog Whistles."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JonathonSpectre posted:

How long do you think it will take before they start claiming Iraq was the Democrats' fault?

Since like 1998?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeaaaahhh not gonna happen, though.

The "game plan" is "make drat sure nobody ever says Obama and Hillary did a better job in Libya than Bush did in Iraq."
This. I can't be stated enough how much it burns their asses that (under Obama:argh:) we helped institute a regime change in Libya with zero American troops sent in, zero American lives lost, and in the space of eight months. The comparison of Libya to Iraq and Afghanistan writes itself, and foreign policy is the one thing Republicans like to pretend they're still better than the Democrats on, and Libya completely destroys that delusion.

So they have to flog Benghazi, because otherwise Libya becomes another success* under Obama where Bush failed, and they can't have that.

*I realize that Libya has had quite a few problems rebuilding so calling it a "success" is a slight stretch, but that's not a very good attack angle for Republicans either given that:
1. It was a loving civil war; painful rebuilding is basically the guaranteed outcome no matter what.
2. We're still loving rebuilding Afghanistan, and it's probably going to fall apart when we leave anyway.
3. Iraq, again.
4. The Libyans asked for our (and NATO's) help, we didn't just go in half-cocked with no plan afterward.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 5, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really want to see someone on Fox ask "which was worse, Benghazi or Iraq?"

I know it'll never happen because they wouldn't even view Iraq as mistake.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's their game plan exactly? Keep up this idiotic speculation all the way until the election or what?

Yes. Keep in mind that Ken Starr was made a special prosecutor because of the whole Whitewater thing and eventually turned up the scandal that Clinton lied about while under oath, leading to his impeachment.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I really want to see someone on Fox ask "which was worse, Benghazi or Iraq?"

I know it'll never happen because they wouldn't even view Iraq as mistake.

It would be interesting for someone with way too much time on their hands to compare the amount of time Fox has spend covering Benghazi to, say, the myth of Iraqi WMDs.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If they dredge up 10 'scandals' in the like of Benghazi and the IRS bullshit they get a free real one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I reeeeeeally want to know what is going on in Wolf Blitzer's head when McHale is riffing on CNN. Such a great protracted camera shot of Wolf during the whole thing.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Boon posted:

I reeeeeeally want to know what is going on in Wolf Blitzer's head when McHale is riffing on CNN. Such a great protracted camera shot of Wolf during the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTgvRGwzWg

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
"Wow, it's like I'm famous!"

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

comes along bort posted:

In which Jane Harman greatly upsets Brit Hume by accurately placing #BENGHAZI on the right wing conspiracy continuum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymb61kORfk

Brit Hume's voice sounds uncannily similar to Billy West's Nixon impression.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Brit Hume's voice sounds uncannily similar to Billy West's Nixon impression.

What happened? I could have sworn that Brit Hume was less partisan hack and more straight journalist. Was I wrong this entire time or did he recently switch to the hack side?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Good Citizen posted:

Not something you'd want to pull out during a presidential debate (lol Romney), but a decent enough plan for a turn-out based midterm election considering what they have to work with right now.

It is literally all they have right now so that's what they're going all-in on. It's hilarious because the slowly shrinking nutjob base is the only group of people that believes it or gives a poo poo.

And if Obama manages to be successful with raising the minimum wage it won't matter if there really is something to Benghazi (and yes I know there isn't), and if Hillary runs it will be a complete obliteration of any Republican opponent.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What happened? I could have sworn that Brit Hume was less partisan hack and more straight journalist. Was I wrong this entire time or did he recently switch to the hack side?

Hasn't he always reserved the right to toe the party line when it's an all hands on deck talking point? 75% real journalist still looks great by comparison to, say, The Five.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah I think it's more like Brit Hume likes his job and doesn't want to lose it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Boon posted:

Knowing him? Very little. :wow:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Staying a good journalist while working at a place like Fox is a lot like staying a virgin while working at the Bunny Ranch: theoretically possible, but not exactly part of the job description.

The place you work shifts your worldview. Hume's surrounded by propaganda 24/7 so of course what he thinks is "reasonable" is going to reflect that. It's yet more Bubble Effect.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Hume is as bad as most of the rest of them. Sometimes Chris Wallace or Shep Smith will decide to remember they are human for a few minutes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Knowing him? Very little. :wow:

Is Wolf Blitzer actually a real name? It just seems so... perfect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skaboomizzy posted:

Hume is as bad as most of the rest of them. Sometimes Chris Wallace or Shep Smith will decide to remember they are human for a few minutes.
Didn't Shep Smith just start talking about True Blood instead of Benghazi once?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

DemeaninDemon posted:

If they dredge up 10 'scandals' in the like of Benghazi and the IRS bullshit they get a free real one.

I guess the NSA counts, so they have proof of concept, but it's not one the GOP leadership wants to run on. Healthcare.gov also counts, but has been largely fixed and replaced with the 8 million signed up talking point.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 5, 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

skaboomizzy posted:

There's a reason you don't see shep around as much. He's said some stuff that sounds like it didn't come from the mouth of a withered dracolich, which makes arch Dracolich, Ailes, shudder in his coffin.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rexicon1 posted:

There's a reason you don't see shep around as much. He's said some stuff that sounds like it didn't come from the mouth of a withered dracolich, which makes arch Dracolich, Ailes, shudder in his coffin.
You don't see Shep around as much because he reportedly wanted to come out as gay and, shockingly, Fox News brass really didn't like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Two Finger posted:

Is Wolf Blitzer actually a real name? It just seems so... perfect.

It's no Howitzer Explosionguy, that's for sure.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

I am shocked, shocked that they would even consider something like that.

Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!

Shbobdb posted:

But Benghazi is a perfect fusion of all the right wing talking points. You've got dead Americans, a nice Carter comparison, Muslims, weak on foreign policy, Africa . . . there is just so much there. The fact that there is no "there there" is simply unbelievable given that all the other pieces are there. So just keep on beating that drum!

This is a good point, and worth keeping in mind when conservatives insist that there just has to be something going on with Benghazi. The thing is, it isn't actually very unreasonable IF one already believes that Obama is a secret Muslim/Muslim sympathizer, that Obama in particular and Democrats in general (because Carter) are weak on defense because they don't care about the lives of American soldiers. If these things were straightforwardly true, Benghazi would seem quite fishy. For example, if Clive Bundy and his buddies attacked some government facility and Fox News instead initially attributed the attack to, I donno, illegal immigrant youth playing the knockout game, we might suspect something was going on that at least starts to shade into a media conspiracy/coverup, and it would probably be pretty hard to shake that impression.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My first two thoughts when reading that was:
1. Anderson Cooper was less obvious.
2. I bet there's Shep/Cooper fiction out there

Stupid internet has ruined my mind.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh man, this is a hilarious thing to wake up to on a Monday: Bloomberg apoloxplaining Toyota moving to Texas.

The loving 3rd line mentions Texas' "cheap suburban housing and good public schools". Later in the article, the public schools are described as "excellent".

The article name is Toyota moved to Texas for traditions not taxes.

This is a joke, right?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I'm sure, given the way public schools are funded, that it's possible for Texas to absolutely tank national rankings and still have a few good districts where the top quintile types live.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

The article name is Toyota moved to Texas for traditions not taxes.

This is a joke, right?

Toyota ain't Toolin' up in Texas for Taxes - Says Texans Workin', Not twerkin'

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I think conservatives are hammering Benghazi because it's one of the few foreign relations failures that they believe Obama/the dems had options in.

They can hammer Obama on Syria and the red line but they know Americans still have war fatigue so dems would just respond with "Well what did you want us to do? Put boots on the ground?" And that basically ends that conversation, even though it legitimately shouldn't especially given the context of the Russia/Ukraine dance.

In Benghazi, American lives were lost essentially due to gov't incompetence coupled with CIA dealings we didn't want disclosed (this is my brief understanding of the issue). It, like the 2008 financial crisis, is both no one's fault and everyone's fault. The ensuing "cover-up"/fishing for explanations, in the context of the IRS scandal, seems to start putting dots out there conveniently aligned for government shadow doings.

The problem is that the GOP seems to be getting some response and therefore is beating a dead horse until their base gets tired of it, but there are many other decent criticisms of Obama's foreign policy... Namely Russia/Europe and his pivot to Asia which boils down to "hey man mind if we build a base here? Cool thx". Obama has also been strangely silent/reluctant to mention what's going on in Africa, specifically Nigeria and the CAR. This administration has focused on diplomacy which is all well and good until half of your allies realize you're spying on them and your neutral/enemy states realize you won't actually do anything to stop their disputes/landgrabs with neighbors. The Economist had a decent article on the decline of America's projected hard power in the world related to these issues.

I'm new to the thread so I apologize if I'm just repeating dribble but thought I might pitch my $0.02. I think Benghazi is a legitimate talking point if you include context and foreign events that have happened since.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

btw you missed a golden opportunity to coin the term 'taxplaining'

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Has this New York Magazine article been posted here yet, about Lara Logan's incredible gently caress-up?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Not content to just castrate Washington Fat Cats, conservative lt. colonel farm mom and now apparently some biker's old lady Joni Ernst promises to shoot Obamacare right in its stupid face if elected senator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mG9fNOZp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Amergin posted:

I think conservatives are hammering Benghazi because it's one of the few foreign relations failures that they believe Obama/the dems had options in.

They can hammer Obama on Syria and the red line but they know Americans still have war fatigue so dems would just respond with "Well what did you want us to do? Put boots on the ground?" And that basically ends that conversation, even though it legitimately shouldn't especially given the context of the Russia/Ukraine dance.

In Benghazi, American lives were lost essentially due to gov't incompetence coupled with CIA dealings we didn't want disclosed (this is my brief understanding of the issue). It, like the 2008 financial crisis, is both no one's fault and everyone's fault. The ensuing "cover-up"/fishing for explanations, in the context of the IRS scandal, seems to start putting dots out there conveniently aligned for government shadow doings.

The problem is that the GOP seems to be getting some response and therefore is beating a dead horse until their base gets tired of it, but there are many other decent criticisms of Obama's foreign policy... Namely Russia/Europe and his pivot to Asia which boils down to "hey man mind if we build a base here? Cool thx". Obama has also been strangely silent/reluctant to mention what's going on in Africa, specifically Nigeria and the CAR. This administration has focused on diplomacy which is all well and good until half of your allies realize you're spying on them and your neutral/enemy states realize you won't actually do anything to stop their disputes/landgrabs with neighbors. The Economist had a decent article on the decline of America's projected hard power in the world related to these issues.

I'm new to the thread so I apologize if I'm just repeating dribble but thought I might pitch my $0.02. I think Benghazi is a legitimate talking point if you include context and foreign events that have happened since.

You can't say that including context makes it a talking point when you ignore the context of what's happened since. There has been investigation after investigation that has basically said that, at most, the buck stops at the State Department and not Obama's administration.

Committee after committee has come back with nothing that Obama could have done differently and that's pissing off Republicans. As I understand it, the only reason that this new email is even a thing is that Republicans didn't request this particular dude's emails, the administration didn't release it, it got out, and Issa and crew are now screaming cover-up because Obama's been slow-playing their three ring circus.

Live were lost, and it's tragic, but aside from some questionable actions at the State Department when an attack wasn't expected, there's nothing to see.

• Locked thread