Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Winter Stormer posted:

Yeah.

I mean, like the image says, you didn't see Republican condemnation of Bush over these attacks, but you didn't hear much of any from the Democrats either, because they were more concerned with security + intelligence failures like 9/11 and Iraqi WMDs than stories like "citizens of [place 99% of Americans can't find on a map] kill their countrymen while attempting to attack America". It's much the same reason that Republicans haven't added complaints about the 2013 Afghanistan consulate attack to their repertoire.

Eh, I don't disagree w your point. I'm just sick of the Benghazi bullshit is all. It's like a loving pack of hounds. The oldest dog barks at one person and then all the younger ones start barking at him too, and they call that politics. For a lot of the podunk conservatives out there it could be anything, no matter how stupid, that the right wing propagandists tell them to bark at, and they'll be putting up lawn signs next to the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Republicans posted:

Ask him if he would let you record him doing a Levin rant.
Please do this, hearing the actual Master Shake doing a Levin rant would be completely loving hilarious.

On parent-chat, I'm starting to realize how lucky I am, both of my parents are pretty left-wing Democrats. My dad's got a little bit of that old-school "Rap music sucks, it's not even music!:argh:" mindset, but that's usually followed by nostalgia for 70's rock music and Jimi Hendrix, so who knows.:v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Rockism: mankind's greatest sin.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Spacedad posted:

Your mother is yet another idiot continuing the legacy of racism in this country against hispanics that dates back to our country literally kicking hispanic US citizens out of the country by the hundreds of thousands because racist white people wanted their poo poo. Mexico is what it is today because of how horribly the US treated its own lawful citizens.

There's like this almost genetic compulsion among racist anglos in the US to want to consider all hispanic people as potential deportations to mexico. It'd be clownish and laughable if that racism weren't so destructive of so many people's lives. The lives and families that have been destroyed - along with futures and potential contributions to society lost - by that racism towards hispanics is incalculable.

Is there anywhere I can read about that? That sounds astoundingly horrible.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
So, I caught a :freep:er on Imgur today:

When MARSHAL (that's how he spelled it before editing) LAW I will use my BATTLE RIFLE and GLADIUS KNIFE (modeled after the PAX ROMAN MILITARUM GLADIUS SWORD OF ROMAN ANTIQUITY) against The Military.

"OH my GOD" -Terrible Web Comics Thread

I love these creeps and how they think one pig sticker is magically more effective than another pig sticker. There were some people who thought I was a conspiracy theorist for making rational observations, just imagine if they knew what real lunatics are like. Such as the person that originally posted that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
People that fetishize weapons and fantasize about killing other Americans are a special kind of disturbing. Why can't they be into whips and chains, like the rest of us good folk?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, I caught a :freep:er on Imgur today:

When MARSHAL (that's how he spelled it before editing) LAW I will use my BATTLE RIFLE and GLADIUS KNIFE (modeled after the PAX ROMAN MILITARUM GLADIUS SWORD OF ROMAN ANTIQUITY) against The Military.

"OH my GOD" -Terrible Web Comics Thread

I love these creeps and how they think one pig sticker is magically more effective than another pig sticker. There were some people who thought I was a conspiracy theorist for making rational observations, just imagine if they knew what real lunatics are like. Such as the person that originally posted that.

What's a neckbeard sword gonna do against a drone?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

As the drone strike comes in, he will raise his sword towards the drone and in that moment the drone operator will know fear, for he knows a man with a sword, hundreds or thousands of miles away about to be hit by a bomb, means him harm.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sir Tonk posted:

People that fetishize weapons and fantasize about killing other Americans are a special kind of disturbing. Why can't they be into whips and chains, like the rest of us good folk?

You can do all of it at once, you know.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhYJgDdCu4

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:cripes:

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I once got into a debate with a group of prepers and asked this question.

The response was, "Well, I'll shoot down any drone that I see." When I mentioned that an average drone flies tens of times higher than any accessible rifle can shoot, and even if they had a gun that could reach, it'd be near impossible to hit a moving target from that far away, the smarter guy there said, "Well, they have to land for fuel sometime, so we'll just follow it and see where it refuels and take it down on the ground."

The others claimed that it'd be easy to shoot a moving drone down because they're really good shots.

That's the kind of people prepers are. They're willing to load up on guns and fantasies, but don't bother doing the least amount of research on the poo poo they think they'll be fighting against.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I once got into a debate with a group of prepers and asked this question.

The response was, "Well, I'll shoot down any drone that I see." When I mentioned that an average drone flies tens of times higher than any accessible rifle can shoot, and even if they had a gun that could reach, it'd be near impossible to hit a moving target from that far away, the smarter guy there said, "Well, they have to land for fuel sometime, so we'll just follow it and see where it refuels and take it down on the ground."

The others claimed that it'd be easy to shoot a moving drone down because they're really good shots.

That's the kind of people prepers are. They're willing to load up on guns and fantasies, but don't bother doing the least amount of research on the poo poo they think they'll be fighting against.

This is so incredibly delusional. The drone would shoot a missile at these nutjobs instead of just flying around waiting for them to follow it. And even if they followed it, it would land at a loving military base where they would get shot or arrested or something.

The people who think they could shoot it down with a sniper rifle are the best though. That's precious. :laugh:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

The people who think they could shoot it down with a sniper rifle are the best though. That's precious. :laugh:

Oh yeah??! Well Jason Bourne did it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C54qMw41_kI

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm generally put in the prepper category. I got a backpack in case I have to abandon my home, a pack to get me home, water filtration, and basic cooking and sanitization equipment.

I live in earthquake country, just north of Seattle. I don't own a single gun. I loving hate them.

I don't know a single person that has an earthquake kit. Therefore I am a prepper in their minds. I hate it.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 5, 2014

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Is there anywhere I can read about that? That sounds astoundingly horrible.

I'm assuming he's referring to the Mexican-American War.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is so incredibly delusional. The drone would shoot a missile at these nutjobs instead of just flying around waiting for them to follow it. And even if they followed it, it would land at a loving military base where they would get shot or arrested or something.

I'm imagining one of them in an old-timey open cockpit biplane wielding a really big pool skimmer. :allears:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kenzie posted:

Oh yeah??! Well Jason Bourne did it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C54qMw41_kI

This is so loving dumb (and highlights this gun wank so much)
The drone flies at 50,000 feet.
You're sniper rifle has a range of 1,800 yards.
The drone shoots you dead with from over 44,000 feet beyond the range of your gun.

Besides, everyone knows all you need is an umbrella.

EDIT:
This movie owns. It's amazing just how many people think that it, like the book, is playing it straight. :allears:

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 5, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

7thBatallion posted:

I'm generally put in the prepper category. I got a backpack in case I have to abandon my home, a pack to get me home, water filtration, and basic cooking and sanitization equipment.

There's a term for people like you:
"Responsible Adult"

If your preparations are roughly in line with CDC recommendations, you shouldn't worry.
http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm also gonna throw out that you should do a weekend out camping or something with your gear if you haven't done that at least once. Once I was out camping and pumped a purifier too hard and blew out a filter cartridge. Another time we kinda gunked one up pumping too close to shore, it sucked in some silt. We had spares in both cases, but if you really did need to use it you don't want to gently caress up irreplaceable consumables from not knowing common failure modes. You also don't want to realize that you forgot something important either (toilet paper), or generally not know what to do with your gear, and an emergency is not a good time to be figuring that out.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 5, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The response was, "Well, I'll shoot down any drone that I see."

The overlap in this thread and the political cartoons thread is sublime. There was a story arc involving a group of friends shooting down an :obama:bama drone with some kind of traced GIS .22 rifle (the author knows nothing about anything and lives on welfare in a mobile home despite decrying Poors and Lucky Duckies).

There were no repercussions, of course. A drone was shot down and no one cared because, you know.

7thBatallion posted:

I don't know a single person that has an earthquake kit. Therefore I am a prepper in their minds. I hate it.

I'm as averse to killing animals as the next rational person but a .22 rifle would be a sound investment. I don't know what WA gun laws are like, but it's relatively difficult to kill a person with a .22 but they are easy to use, cheap, and well suited for hunting small game. Washington is full of lush forests, it could come in handy. Not that you'd have to spend so long tenting in the woods that you'd run out of canned beans, but hey.

And I second the practice run. Camping is really fun, very romantic if you are dating someone into the out doors, (the stories I have about starting a fire with practically nothing and the effect it had on her, oh my) and why the hell not. Just like when packing for a business trip and finding out how impractical your compartment choices or annoyingly hard to find the shaver is, a dry run is very educational.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 5, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I dont see another rightwing thread anymore, so I guess this can go here for (predictable) comedy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/03/anti-gay-nc-gop-candidate-outed-as-former-female-impersonator-miss-mona-sinclair/

quote:

Anti-gay NC GOP candidate outed as former female impersonator ‘Miss Mona Sinclair’

A GOP candidate for North Carolina State Senate — who supports the state’s ban on same-sex marriage — has been revealed as a former female impersonator and drag show emcee by the co-owner of the club where he once worked.

Steve Wiles, 34, of Kernersville, NC, worked at Club Odyssey until 2010 under the name ‘Mona Sinclair,’ former club owner Randy Duggins told the Winston-Salem Journal.

According to Duggins, Wiles was a frequent patron in the late 1990s at his nightclub where gay, lesbian and straight clientele gathered for weekly shows featuring female impersonators. Around 2001 and 2002, Wiles began working for Duggins as the show director and performance booker, while emceeing the show as Miss Mona Sinclair.

“He is Mona Sinclair,” Duggins said, referring to Wiles’ female persona.

In multiple interviews about his past Wiles has alternately denied and confirmed his history.

“That’s not me,” Wiles said three weeks ago, referring to questions about Mona Sinclair.

This week, Wiles’ campaign website, Facebook page and Twitter account were shuttered.

Speaking with Business Insider, Wiles opened up about his former career saying, “… it just was not something that I wanted to continue.”

“I think that everyone has their own choices to make and I’m fine with everyone making their own. For me, from a religious standpoint, just for my life, for me, it just was not something that I wanted to continue,” Wiles said of his career as a female impersonator. “Of course it was an embarrassment, but you know, you move on. You live life, and you change, and you make yourself what you want yourself to be. And that’s where I am now.”

When asked if he was gay, Wiles replied: “No, no, I really wont make any comments on that.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

it's relatively difficult to kill a person with a .22

I think I know what you are trying to say but this is a dangerous mindset. Many people are killed with rimfires every year. A .22 LR bullet will kill you super, super dead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand this. Like, I get that there are people who live their whole lives in a bubble of evangelical churches who never associate with anyone poor, black, or gay and they attribute all those things to moral failings through a mixture of ignorance and crushing lack of empathy. I get that.

But how can someone be active in the gay community, be a drag performer, have friends and coworkers and (let's be honest) lovers from that community, then just turn around and say "gently caress it, all my friends, gently caress them. They don't deserve rights."
:psyduck:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

7thBatallion posted:

I live in earthquake country, just north of Seattle. I don't own a single gun. I loving hate them.

There's a huge difference between this and ":foxnews: BUY GOLD FROM SHITLORDE CAPITAL BECAUSE THE DOLLAR IS GOING TO DIE AND GOLD WILL BE THE ONLY THING OF VALUE." Being prepared for a natural disaster that has a likelihood of occurring is a good idea. Speaking of gold scam ads I have a relative who fell for one and is enraged that all they received was a paper claiming ownership of one thing of gold is some vault somewhere. According to them its okay because the free markets are dieing from over-regulation and that gold will be sent when it happens. I don't like seeing this happen but, I have no idea how to get through that haze of paranoia and anger.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand this. Like, I get that there are people who live their whole lives in a bubble of evangelical churches who never associate with anyone poor, black, or gay and they attribute all those things to moral failings through a mixture of ignorance and crushing lack of empathy. I get that.

But how can someone be active in the gay community, be a drag performer, have friends and coworkers and (let's be honest) lovers from that community, then just turn around and say "gently caress it, all my friends, gently caress them. They don't deserve rights."

"I found Jesus and accepted him as my Lord and Personal Savior"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

SedanChair posted:

I think I know what you are trying to say but this is a dangerous mindset. Many people are killed with rimfires every year. A .22 LR bullet will kill you super, super dead.

Well, he isn't wrong that .22 is relatively less lethal than bullets that are bigger/faster/specifically designed to kill humans, but yeah. I doubt anybody in this thread is impressionable enough to think that there are any "safe" calibers of bullet, but it's not like a .22 can't pierce a human skull or rib cage.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"Every bad thing I have ever done, and will ever do, has been washed from my unclean soul. Now, let's get down to business..."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No. It's a disservice to Christianity to imply that it's in any way compatible with the Republican Party. There are plenty of people who find Jesus and don't turn on their former communities and do everything they can to keep them unequal by law.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

7thBatallion posted:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a term for people like you:
"Responsible Adult"
"Preppers" are the guys who are prepared for the full-out collapse of the Government, a Chinese invasion, the coming race war, the Mayan 2012 apocalypse, really, just pick an apocalypse scenario that's gotta be coming any day now.

The difference between you and a "prepper" is that you're prepared for a natural disaster, which has a reasonable chance of actually happening, especially since you said you live in earthquake country. Also, your plan is to survive until (Governmental!) relief can be sent in and eventually get back to your normal life. That idea is complete anathema to "preppers".

I'll be blunt, I've never understood the "prepper" mindset, because I wouldn't want to survive an apocalypse that has no chance of a return to "normal life". You can rebuild after an earthquake, but not after the things these guys fantasize about happening.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No. It's a disservice to Christianity to imply that it's in any way compatible with the Republican Party. There are plenty of people who find Jesus and don't turn on their former communities and do everything they can to keep them unequal by law.

Are you saying that's its not a common theme in these people?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Trying to reconcile two at-odds lifestyles is my guess. You sometimes see it land the other way, too. People go ultra hardline "true believer" to kill the persona they once held.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

"For me, from a religious standpoint, just for my life, for me, it just was not something that I wanted to continue,"

Unless i'm going nuts, its pretty plain he had a come to Jesus moment and has since reversed his opinions in order to fit in with his religious beliefs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are you saying that's its not a common theme in these people?
No it is, I just don't think Christianity is to blame.

I guess just in general I can understand why people who were sheltered their whole lives believe all the lies Republicans tell about gays, but I can't understand why someone who would know that gay people aren't all child molesters trying to destroy marriage would buy into the bullshit.

It does happen a lot though. My dad was a big man-whore in the 60's but now that he's born again, these young ladies today need to keep their legs shut and contraception is only for holy married couples like him & my mom.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I personally think the specific nature of the slate being wiped clean when you are born again very much appeals to the kind of people who are living in shame and feel what they are doing is wrong. Homosexuals who never quite reconcile their nature with society would be prime targets for that brand of Christianity.

The same thing happens with musicians and entertainers, who live lives of debauchery and then go "ok im out" and become extremely conservative. Look at Dave Mustaine from megadeth who has becomes such a nutso that he brings a pastor on tour with him to keep him close to Jesus.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I guess, I just don't get the part where you actively try to harm your former friends. But anyway...actually since this thread dipped into parent-chat over the weekend, my sister visited me recently and told me some stories about our increasingly Rightwing-Media-obsessed father.

Apparently he told her she needed to stay abstinent and not rely on any kind of birth control because if her boyfriend of two years fears she might break up with him, he'll sabotage her pills to get her pregnant so she'll be forced to stay with him. Let's all just think about the prospects of this scheme for one second...

...drat it is a flawless plan. Egg-jacking bros! :argh:

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't like seeing this happen but, I have no idea how to get through that haze of paranoia and anger.

You never will, so don't bother.

What I don't get is, why gold? I mean, gold to the average person is worthless if they can't sell it for actual money, so in the event of the economy completely collapsing, wouldn't it be smarter to have something everyone needs, like toilet paper or something?

Also, I just picture these people strolling into a Walgreens to pick up their old people medication, and paying by scraping off a few slivers of gold from a gold brick with a potato peeler.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

VitalSigns posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Biff Rockgroin posted:

What I don't get is, why gold? I mean, gold to the average person is worthless if they can't sell it for actual money, so in the event of the economy completely collapsing, wouldn't it be smarter to have something everyone needs, like toilet paper or something?

Prosaic minds become obsessed with commodities. It also sometimes happens to very smart people who are in the commodities business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

This is so loving dumb (and highlights this gun wank so much)
The drone flies at 50,000 feet.
You're sniper rifle has a range of 1,800 yards.
The drone shoots you dead with from over 44,000 feet beyond the range of your gun.

Besides, everyone knows all you need is an umbrella.

While your ability to quote wikipedia is great, you should pay a little more attention to what exactly it is that you're quoting.

The drone featured in that particular scene of the movie is not an MQ-9 Reaper, it's an MQ-1 Predator, the Reaper's older brother.

Also, while these aircraft are capable of flight at 50,000 MSL (or Mean Sea Level/distance above sea level) operations are generally conducted at 10,000 AGL (Above Ground Level/Actual Ground level) due to the camera's in the payload not actually being able to pick out targets on thermal beyond 10,000', actual mission profiles are usually much lower due to thermal or IR footage being one of the most often used and best method for identifying/finding targets.

Example: Just because your car is capable of topping out the needle at 120MPH doesn't mean you have to go that fast all the time.

Re-watch the video and note the downswept rear stabilizing wings -vs- the Reaper's upswept wings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-1_Predator

I'm not debating a shooter's ability to hit a moving drone at any altitude. Even the best marksmen in the world would be hard pressed to pull off such a feat more than once in their lifetime (and likely with a metric gently caress-ton of luck) but the drone inaccuracies I have to point out.

However, there are other ways to handle a drone in flight. You only need about $80 worth of parts from radio shack and a laptop to handle most drones. Iran's got it down.

E: For clarity/exampls.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2014