Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm still waiting on anything solid to support that Nameless Usurper is Licia :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope in the next souls game you can do this for every boss fight. I mean, you're allowed to bring help, why can't the boss?

I also miss the mechanics like the Old Monk. It would be cool to have another Old Monk like fight, but one that always evens the odds. If you bring two players into it, it summons two more guys on the other side, too.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Dark souls disconnects me from the server at random intervals, ranging from 2 minutes to an hour. It's too much of a hassle to keep restarting for pvp. Any advice?

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

bewilderment posted:

There's no penalty for leaving a covenant, no matter how you do it.
What's so difficult in Harvest Valley?

It was kicking my rear end because I was going for every item. I'll just take your advice. I'm still stuck at the Sentinel guys, but after those, it was a nice change of pace to beat the crap out of the Skeleton Lords. It's good to know the next boss is also not bad.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
The shrine is pretty easy to pass if you have the Rebel's Greatshield. It has 90% resist to all non-physical damages, and with a few upgrades can be even better. You can take the soul arrows on the shield and then kill the casters in a couple of hits. Rinse and repeat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sydin posted:

I also miss the mechanics like the Old Monk. It would be cool to have another Old Monk like fight, but one that always evens the odds. If you bring two players into it, it summons two more guys on the other side, too.

In my one LGK fight it summoned me and two npcs against a guy and his phantom. I was only able to get the phantom though. The fun thing about it is they can see when you're coming in, so basically they have a chance to just blow you away, and if they don't take it, you punish them. I got about six fights in, 1 I died before the loading finished, 1 was that fight, I won two of them, then two more were guys just way above my level and they obliterated me instantly. It kind of dried up after that, but I'll have to try again later. Next time I'll bring some heal spells. :getin:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sydin posted:

Mirror-knight like fights, bosses with adds, etc. here's what you do:

1. Have a unique method of being summoned for these things that is impossible to intercept (an item, entering a certain room, etc.)
2. Put players in a queue to be summoned to one of many worlds
3. While in queue, put them in a free for all deathmatch with other players in queue :black101:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 5, 2014

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Why do so many people hate the smelter demon? After he killed me the first time with his WoG blast it was pretty obvious how to meele him down

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm still waiting on anything solid to support that Nameless Usurper is Licia :colbert:

If you murder that NPC, the Nameless Usurper stops spawning.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Ha ha ha, it's even funnier if you just spawn a bunch of helpers before the train of arbiters start loading in. You can just see them look at your pack of dudes and say ohhhh fuuuuuck. I don't even like summoning help normally.

Single handedly making sure those people never get their covenant maxed.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Mystic Mongol posted:

If you murder that NPC, the Nameless Usurper stops spawning.

Also, they have the same exact model.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Today I discovered that hitting those weird, big trees in the misty area in the Shaded Ruins makes them groan at you. It's really creepy. So, naturally, from now on whenever I invade there I'm going to hit those a few times until I find the host, while occasionally dropping a "HELLO" woodcarving.

It's all about intimidation, you see.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

BlackFrost posted:

Today I discovered that hitting those weird, big trees in the misty area in the Shaded Ruins makes them groan at you. It's really creepy. So, naturally, from now on whenever I invade there I'm going to hit those a few times until I find the host, while occasionally dropping a "HELLO" woodcarving.

It's all about intimidation, you see.

Apparently they attract enemies to you? I'm not sure.

I got to Bell Covenant level 2, which is all I really cared about so I don't have to "try-hard" it anymore for rewards. Blue Sentinels 0 simply for the Boltstone sales. Heirs to the Sun 3 for the Sun Sword and Sunlight Spear. Any other Covenants have interesting/worthwhile loot before I join covenants just for the fun of things? Like the ratbros I guess.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

argondamn posted:

You just have to do a lot of grinding. Losses don't effect Blue Sentinel pvp, or I would never have gotten rank 1.

Hmm I thought the wiki said blue sentinel losses count against your total. Is that only for duels? I kinda want that rank 2 reward but losses would suck for grinding +150. Blue bro'ing a host in need can't count against? How about using the cracked blue eye orbs?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

pmchem posted:

I don't even know what Poke is. I'm not interested in cheat tools / save game editors and hope all hackers die in a fire of VAC.
You've got four options, really.

1) Pocket the souls. It's not you who cheated!

2) Ditch the souls. Have a hosed SM and fight stronger opponents until you hit 18 million souls.

3) Cheat, but show some restraint. Don't actually help yourself to titanite, just lower your SM to the original level, fixing the damage.

4) Restart. I bet there's a fun new build you want to try anyway!

Personally I think 3 is the best option.

As for the full havel test, quick status report: Still not VAC banned, still match making me with a pair of lowbies. I think I'll switch to white soap stone to test this instead of bell-broing, I feel really really bad doing double trident thrusts into someone who's attacks do 2% health to full Havel. Time to set SM to 300K, then hang out outside of the Ruin Sentinals with two shields and the red eye ring.

Also: If you defeat the Mirror Knight and not the add, do you get bonus souls for defeating the add? If not, that might also be a fun place to screw around without actually ruining anyone's day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Artificer posted:

Apparently they attract enemies to you? I'm not sure.

I got to Bell Covenant level 2, which is all I really cared about so I don't have to "try-hard" it anymore for rewards. Blue Sentinels 0 simply for the Boltstone sales. Heirs to the Sun 3 for the Sun Sword and Sunlight Spear. Any other Covenants have interesting/worthwhile loot before I join covenants just for the fun of things? Like the ratbros I guess.

Ratbros get you a ton of easy lockstones as well a ring that keeps enemies from aggro-ing on you unless they have direct line of sight. It may also prevent players from staying locked on to you in PVP without LOS but I'm not sure.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ratbros get you a ton of easy lockstones as well a ring that keeps enemies from aggro-ing on you unless they have direct line of sight. It may also prevent players from staying locked on to you in PVP without LOS but I'm not sure.

Okay, cool. :) I probably plan on shifting between the Red Sign Soapstone, Belbros, and Ratbros for my PvP needs anyways. Any other covenants/rewards of note?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
You know what, I actually miss something about GFWL, and that's the ability to easily message people you just played with/against. I've killed the exact same arbiter 6 times in a row now. If this was DS1 then I'd have some beautiful hate-mail to share with the thread right now, and everyone is worse off because of its absence.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Interesting, doing a no shield, dodge-everything run and I just noticed that all the hollows in the FotG pivot while attacking even while you are rolling. No other enemy does this in the game that I'm aware of, not even bosses.

I know enemies will pivot while attacking when you're trying to circle behind them like in DS1 but dodging usually limits or stops pivoting. Not so for those hollows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Jesus christ the Dark Souls community finds a way to suck the fun out of anything.

Decided to try Mirror Knight one more time. When I actually managed to get into fights, every single one had a guy in full Havel's tanking the boss while two phantoms killed me. They were in zero danger since the guy in Havel's was rendering the boss completely harmless and I never got a chance to do anything between dodging sorcery and the phantom chasing me. This happened every single time. When that didn't happen, I was just being summoned into worlds with people camping the spawns or invaded by people dual wielding Avelyns.

Sucks that because I hosed up my soul memory this bad this character doesn't stand a chance against these optimized pvp builds. Do you get sin for mirror knight fights? If not I could try loving around with it on my sunbro since he's not at 3M sm.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 5, 2014

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
Gang bang in the bell tower is real tonight, blowing through my collection or red orbs and killing scrubs trying to prevent me.
Lv 143 3.1mil SM

Nezkar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 5, 2014

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

You know what, I actually miss something about GFWL, and that's the ability to easily message people you just played with/against. I've killed the exact same arbiter 6 times in a row now. If this was DS1 then I'd have some beautiful hate-mail to share with the thread right now, and everyone is worse off because of its absence.

Ratbros would have so much hatemail. It is indeed sad.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

King of Solomon posted:

You're thinking of Knight Kirk, I'm pretty sure. Lautrec just kills the Firelink keeper then runs off to Anor Londo. You do need to use a similar invasion item to find him, though.

Actually I misworded that. The character in question is like Lautrec, BUT instead of going after important NPCs they go after you.

Though it's too bad you never got to actually meet Kirk in person. Though I envision his personality being along the lines of Creighton the Wanderer, who we do get the distinct pleasure of interacting with. :v:

Oh yeah, speaking of Creighton, there was accent talk earlier. What's that accent Gilligan's got going?

Because I could just listen to it all day long. :allears:

Bobnumerotres posted:

I would say they're dressed the part, but then again, players love to cosplay too. It could just be an admirer.

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ the Dark Souls community finds a way to suck the fun out of anything.

Resign yourself to this for Looking Glass summons and just do what that guy does the whole time.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 5, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Results from 200,000 souls worth of chariot necro kills in full item find gear:
amber herbs: 5
black hollow mage robe: 2
black hollow mage hood: 2
lizard staff: 0
conclusion: gently caress you DS2

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Interesting, doing a no shield, dodge-everything run and I just noticed that all the hollows in the FotG pivot while attacking even while you are rolling. No other enemy does this in the game that I'm aware of, not even bosses.

I know enemies will pivot while attacking when you're trying to circle behind them like in DS1 but dodging usually limits or stops pivoting. Not so for those hollows.

There's another enemy in FotG that pivots to face you and it's both infuriating and hilarious.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Think I'll have to start a new melee guy soon. While lightning spears are great the last 1/3 maybe even 1/2 of the game was kind of a cake walk, especially the bosses...pretty much summon a couple of guys and throw spears until death while ignoring most, if not all of the mechanics.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

pmchem posted:

Hmm I thought the wiki said blue sentinel losses count against your total. Is that only for duels? I kinda want that rank 2 reward but losses would suck for grinding +150. Blue bro'ing a host in need can't count against? How about using the cracked blue eye orbs?

I didn't do like a real test or anything, but I did duels and invasions and probably won as much as I lost and had around 50 tokens and 50 cracked blue eye orbs before I started. The Blood Covenant I know you can lose points in, but I don't think you can lose points in the Blue Sentinels.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Yep, resign yourself to the fact that you aren't getting a decent sorcery staff til you're balls deep in the endgame. The Sunset Staff the hex dude gives you when you hit 20 int/faith will be your best bet forever unless you find a faintstone and waste it on a +10 archdrake staff.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

I just learned power stancing a warped sword has a unique moveset that cyclones around, has anyone been playing around with it? I'm wondering what would be good to pair it with

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

dis astranagant posted:

The Sunset Staff the hex dude gives you when you hit 20 int/faith will be your best bet forever....

Gosh darn it, I keep on forgetting NPCs will hold back on the goods. I need to go talk to a couple people with my wizard.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Finished my blindrun! I found a lot of bosses:

...and not so many keys. :(

I wont even comment on that final boss or the walk, but the Throne bosses sure were giving me one hell of a rough time. I just couldn't dodge all their attacks and get a hit in, if I did I wouldn't have enough stamina left to dodge attacks from the other. Green blossom wasn't helping any because I don't recover stamina while rolling anyways. Perhaps because of the tedium of the walk I grew tired of the whole ordeal and just wanted to be done with them by any means necessary (other than summoning.) I burned through a number of rare consumables, and finally reached a breaking point where I decided to try killing them with throwing knives. So I equipped a shield and started cheesing when I happened to block a 3 attack combo... fully, with an unupgraded greatshield. :stonk:

I hadn't tried blocking attacks from bosses before. I had no idea you could so easily tank attacks from bosses by simply blocking them. Certainly made the fight a breeze, unlike rolling where that brief delay before stamina recovers was killing me.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

BoonyPC posted:

Think I'll have to start a new melee guy soon. While lightning spears are great the last 1/3 maybe even 1/2 of the game was kind of a cake walk, especially the bosses...pretty much summon a couple of guys and throw spears until death while ignoring most, if not all of the mechanics.

WELCOME TO MAGIC

It's why I'm really glad clerics have a ton of viable non-attack spells. Group Support Cleric is nuts this time around, so you can be a holy spellcaster and actually matter without just smashing through everything with attack spells.

I'm actually really bummed Emit Force isn't the big AoE orb. That thing was a blast to try and use.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

turtlecrunch posted:

I hate to tell you this but nobody is gonna give you sympathy because you're a WoW reject sperging out about MY STAFF. Just move on and stop whining about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

laplace posted:

Also, they have the same exact model.

Also they both use the Idol's Chime.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh wow fall control spell is amazing for jumping down the Majula hole. You don't even take damage.

--

What is a good weapon that is both a catalyst and a chime and where do I get it?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also they both use the Idol's Chime.

Wait, Nameless Usurper actually uses a chime? I've never seen them do anything but try to slash me to ribbons with a butter knife.

keyframe posted:

What is a good weapon that is both a catalyst and a chime and where do I get it?

Black Witch's Staff. Drops from the ladies in the Undead Crypt.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My friend and I are doing a dumb FF7 roleplay run through. Im Cloud with my big dumb greatsword and he's Sephiroth with his katana. Pretty silly. We go to kill the gargoyles and get invaded by none other than a dude named Aeris who runs around casting miracles and stuff at me. We end up on the ground level and then all of a sudden my friend drops down on him and kills him with a falling attack. I laughed pretty hard.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

BobbyK posted:

My friend and I are doing a dumb FF7 roleplay run through. Im Cloud with my big dumb greatsword and he's Sephiroth with his katana. Pretty silly. We go to kill the gargoyles and get invaded by none other than a dude named Aeris who runs around casting miracles and stuff at me. We end up on the ground level and then all of a sudden my friend drops down on him and kills him with a falling attack. I laughed pretty hard.

That is just magical :allears:

I've heard a few stories about similar things happening, lots of GoT-named characters and such. Also a lot of Shreks...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have unfortunate and distressing news of great import to share.

The Barrel will not let you equip it on your character.

Please, a moment of silence while we contemplate what could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

I have unfortunate and distressing news of great import to share.

The Barrel will not let you equip it on your character.

Please, a moment of silence while we contemplate what could have been.

There is an item that lets you do this and scare other players off ledges