Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

fuseshock posted:

I'm arriving in London for the first time early morning on Thursday, the 9th, and leaving on the 14th. With the tube strikes going on, are the main lines around central London pretty much affected/shut down? And does anyone have any suggestions on alternative transport? I'll be staying right next to the St. Pancras station (having originally booked there because I thought it was a good to access all the tube lines :()

You can find customer advice here: http://tfl.gov.uk/modes/tube/travel-advice-for-tube-customers

The important thing is probably this bit:

quote:

Buses, DLR, London Overground, Tramlink, National Rail and River services will all be operating normally but will be busy. There will be many extra buses operating.
More importantly, however, the strike is supposed to end on Thursday, so for most other days you should be fine. That said, you'll be able to do most of your travelling by bus. They are also cheaper and some of them are actually quite lovely: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Routemaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Joose Caboose posted:

Anyone have any Prague hostel recommendations? I know earlier in the thread I saw someone suggest Hostel One Home which looks really nice. Wanted to get a few options to look up and discuss with my fellow traveler so any recommendations beyond that one are appreciated.

Well, at the end of the month I'll be able to post my thoughts on the Czech Inn. Right now, all I know is that it's well-reviewed on Tripadvisor and it has the worst sort of pun for a name, which appeals to me since my stated purpose of visiting the Czech Republic is to czech it out :v:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fuseshock posted:

I'm arriving in London for the first time early morning on Thursday, the 9th, and leaving on the 14th. With the tube strikes going on, are the main lines around central London pretty much affected/shut down? And does anyone have any suggestions on alternative transport? I'll be staying right next to the St. Pancras station (having originally booked there because I thought it was a good to access all the tube lines :()

The buses are actually pretty fun to take in London (as a tourist) and are considerably cheaper too. On the downside, their routes are harder to figure out / locate / transfer, and they only work well for short-to-medium distances.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

fuseshock posted:

As Hollow Talk said, the currently planned strikes should be over by Friday morning.

TFL travel update posted:

Tube services will be affected from around 21:30 on Monday 5 May and throughout the whole of Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 May.

On all strike days, including Thursday, first trains will be from about 07:00 and last trains will be earlier than usual. Some stations will be closed, although we had 80% of stations open this week. Services will not return to normal until Friday morning.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Thanks everyone. Also somehow I keep getting confused on dates but I'm arriving on the 9th which is a Friday :downs:.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm headed to southern Italy for ~10 days next week and don't have too much planned besides flying into Rome and out of Naples. I've spent about two weeks in Rome as a tourist in the past 5 years, so I'm not looking for anything there, but very up for suggestions of anything else in southern Italy, as I've never been there before. Obviously Pompeii is a must, but the rest is up in the air. Is Paestum worth going to if you've already been around Greece? How is Capri and the other islands in the area if it's too cold to be particularly nice? (Looks like it will be about 18 and partly cloudy in Rome when I get in, which isn't cold but isn't beach weather either.) I lived for a year with a guy from Agropoli who always raved about the area, but then what Italian doesn't love their home region.

We have a car so driving to the countryside is fine, and preferable even. Mainly I'm wondering is there anything between Rome and Naples worth stopping at? Or is there anything inland in that part of Italy worth visiting? I've seen plenty of sphagetti Westerns, which I guess were filmed around there. Mainly interested in interesting landscapes, uniquely southern Italian sites, Roman/Greek stuff, nice apartment-hotels, and nice restaurants.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Kylaer posted:

Well, at the end of the month I'll be able to post my thoughts on the Czech Inn. Right now, all I know is that it's well-reviewed on Tripadvisor and it has the worst sort of pun for a name, which appeals to me since my stated purpose of visiting the Czech Republic is to czech it out :v:

I stayed at the Czech Inn about 7 years ago and it was nice. There is a hostel bar that was fine. The rooms were also nice. I remember that the bathroom was super modern and big... like something you'd see in a nicer hotel. I think the hostel was located a little bit aways from the center of the city but there is a tram stop super close.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm going on an unexpected trip to London in a couple weeks. It'll be my first time there, and I'm staying for 6 days. Being my first time, I'm totally fine with doing a whole lot of touristy things. My questions are:

-Which of the popular London sights should I group together to see in the same day / how much time should I budget for them?
-Any suggestions for less touristy things to do with any remaining time I might have?

Thanks!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

TheEye posted:

-Which of the popular London sights should I group together to see in the same day / how much time should I budget for them?
Most of the big ones you don't expect to spend much time at (that is, places like the houses of parliament, rather than museums or anything else you might expect to spend multiple hours in) can be grouped quite nicely together. A day (or most of one) would be quite enough to cover the big sights without feeling rushed or being an uncomfortably long walk.

quote:

-Any suggestions for less touristy things to do with any remaining time I might have?
What are you interested in?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum (decorative arts and design), Royal Albert Hall, and the Albert Memorial (in Kensington Gardens) make sense as a day.

Get one of the ferries down the river and head for Greenwich: Cutty Sark, The Painted Hall and Chapel in the The Royal Naval College (not one of the better known sights, but will be familiar to anyone who watched the London episodes of Bones.), The National Maritime Museum & Queens House, The Royal Observatory, Rangers House and maybe the Greenwich market area. (there is also the Fan Museum if you want something off the usual trail).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

(there is also the Fan Museum if you want something off the usual trail)
I'm a bit disappointed it's not electric ones, like I initially thought. I was seriously all geared up to spend an hour looking at almost identical household appliances just to be able to say I did ("ah, the first example of an oscillating one, fascinating"). A museum of folding fans just makes too much drat sense.

I'm going to London in a few weeks as well, probably about time I started planning what the hell to do there! I also have six days, and I've been once before but that was more than a decade ago (let me tell you, September of 2001 was just the best time for that sort of thing). I can take or leave the usual touristy stuff, mostly I'm into music, comics, video games and exotic food. And I guess if there's a museum for technical curiosities as per above, I'm game as well. (Is there such a thing as a museum of electronic music?) Science Museum looks good!

What I've planned so far is:
- British Library, both a behind the scenes tour and the big comics exhibition they have at the moment
- Heart of Gaming (which seems to be bang in in the sort of area where I'd place several police stations if this was Sim City, tell me I'll make it in and out alright)
- British Museum
- try and get into a QI recording
- "theatre or comedy show or something maybe?"

e: Centre for Computing History in Cambridge, is that worth the trip?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 5, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I too was bitterly disappointed when I googled the Fan Museum's website. I've just found a Telegraph article on 50 unusual museums in London. Number 2, the 'Cartoon Musuem' sounds like it might be of interest to you.

The Science Musuem is one of my favourite places in London. You can stand looking at Stephenson's Rocket then turn around on the spot and look at the Apollo 10 command module. That pretty much bookends the entire history of powered transport. (There's also the Imperial War Museum or the London Transport Museum if you want more cars, planes, tanks,..)

edit: Read this discussion (the posts by both maitaitom and BigRuss) on how to get Two-for-one offers at a lot of London's attractions (our museums are free, other places aren't) by buying a certain type of travel ticket.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 5, 2014

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

My Lovely Horse posted:

- "theatre or comedy show or something maybe?"

My CS host got us free tickets to here: http://www.99clubcomedy.com/home.html

He said he had to check the web site off and on throughout the day at work. The comedians were English and middling to good; I would recommend it.

edit: Not that ten pounds is breaking the bank for an evening's entertainment

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Pablo Bluth posted:

(There's also the Imperial War Museum or the London Transport Museum if you want more cars, planes, tanks,..)

Isn't the IWM still closed?

TheEye posted:

I'm going on an unexpected trip to London in a couple weeks. It'll be my first time there, and I'm staying for 6 days.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm going to London in a few weeks as well, probably about time I started planning what the hell to do there! I also have six days...

Are both of you going alone? If not there is an easy way to get 2 for 1 vouchers for lots of attractions.

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 5, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

elwood posted:

Isn't the IWM still closed?
Yes. Until mid-July. Scratch that from the list.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Going with my girlfriend.

Theatre, we were in New York last year and didn't manage to see Book of Mormon, I guess we could shoot for that again ooor we go see Mark Heap and Robert Webb. Decisions!

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 5, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Two final questions: does anyone have any hostel recommendations in Berlin and Krakow? I'm meant to be staying with my friend: but I want a backup plan just in case she gets another flatmate before I arrive... I'm going to look on a bunch of review sites, but I figured that I'd ask in the thread since I'm more likely to trust recommendations from a person from SA than someone on some random website. I'm eligible for a free Scottish Youth Hostel membership since I'm a student: but I'm willing to check out independents if it is cheap and would be a better experience!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So, Naples or southern Italy? Anyone been there? Any particular recommendations?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Visit Pompeii, but most of all Herculaneum if you go to Naples. Both are less than an hour away and very much worth it.

Also, there two underground excursions in Naples itself that I really enjoyed. A lot of houses were built using stones carved from the rock below, leaving the holes for storage, wine cellars, waterways, etc. During WW2 people lived there for years and whole city blocks are connected. You will find an underground church, decorated living rooms, tons of graffiti about the lives they led and many other interesting things. The website doesn't look like much and the guide only speaks Italian, but there might be a nice student who wants to help you out during the tour. Even without understanding a word I can really recommend it for the sights. Be warned it can get very cramped and the hallways are not well maintained. Expect open wiring, fungus, damp spots, dangerous stairs, etc.

http://www.lanapolisotterranea.it/home_ing.htm

This second one is the Bourbon Tunnel, which is now filled with vintage cars and rubble from smashed fascist monuments. Big open hallways, proper lighting, not claustrophobic at all. They use part of it as a parking garage, you will enter at the other side and walk towards it. Because of this it has received a lot of funding and there are proper stairs, normal lighting, etc. It doesn't really provide information on the lives of people down there during WW2 or anything, but the rusty Italian cars give and rows of Vespas give it a decaying museum-like atmosphere. You can also go on a raft through a flooded part of the tunnel, but everyone I asked said it was expensive and very disappointing so we passed.

Website seems to be down
http://www.tunnelborbonico.info/

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Saladman posted:

So, Naples or southern Italy? Anyone been there? Any particular recommendations?

You said you're going to Pompeii which is good. I recommend going there first and spending half a day to 3/4 of a day there and then on the way back to Naples stop at Torre Annunziata to see the Villa Poppaea and then stop at Ercolano and visit Herculaneum. It's better to go there after Pompeii because it's much smaller and you'll need more energy for Pompeii. If you're slow walkers then plan a full day for Pompeii, but I went around the whole place in 5-6 hours and saw everything. Get there right when it opens if you can because I was the only person there for about half an hour and it was surreal.

The day after you visit the archaeological sites, head over to the National Archaeological Museum which was one of the best museums I visited in Europe. It has the original mosaics from Pompeii that were recovered, great sculptures, and a great section called the Secret Cabinent which is a collection of erotic material found in Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Castel Nuovo is a pretty nice castle as well that doubles as an art museum. Also, don't forget to eat all the pizza. Every day you should be eating pizza in Naples. The best pizza I've ever had, and I wouldn't doubt it being the best in the world.

I haven't been to the Amalfi Coast, but if you have the time and a vehicle you should definitely go there as well. Also, I haven't been Paestum, but if it's anything like Agrigento I would definitely see that too. The Greek ruins in Italy are amazing, and incredibly well-preserved (which from a glance at Paestum seems to be the case).

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

elwood posted:

Are both of you going alone? If not there is an easy way to get 2 for 1 vouchers for lots of attractions.

I'm also not going alone, or rather I'm meeting someone there. But since you mention it, what's the easy way, or do you just show up and buy it for two? On that note, is the London Pass worth it? It looks like quite a lot of the top attractions are free, but the pass seems to cover most of the others. I suppose it could be a good deal if we can actually make it to several of the ones listed in the span of a day or two.

Regarding the subway, it looks like a 7 day travelcard is what we'd need. I'm not too sure about the zones and whatnot... I mean, it seems like almost everything is in 1 or 2, but then we might also do Windsor Castle (4) and obviously we'll need to go to/from Heathrow (6). But it seems like a waste to get a 1-6 card just for the airport.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

MagicCube posted:

You said you're going to Pompeii which is good. I recommend going there first and spending half a day to 3/4 of a day there and then on the way back to Naples stop at Torre Annunziata to see the Villa Poppaea and then stop at Ercolano and visit Herculaneum. It's better to go there after Pompeii because it's much smaller and you'll need more energy for Pompeii. If you're slow walkers then plan a full day for Pompeii, but I went around the whole place in 5-6 hours and saw everything. Get there right when it opens if you can because I was the only person there for about half an hour and it was surreal.

The day after you visit the archaeological sites, head over to the National Archaeological Museum which was one of the best museums I visited in Europe. It has the original mosaics from Pompeii that were recovered, great sculptures, and a great section called the Secret Cabinent which is a collection of erotic material found in Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Castel Nuovo is a pretty nice castle as well that doubles as an art museum. Also, don't forget to eat all the pizza. Every day you should be eating pizza in Naples. The best pizza I've ever had, and I wouldn't doubt it being the best in the world.

I haven't been to the Amalfi Coast, but if you have the time and a vehicle you should definitely go there as well. Also, I haven't been Paestum, but if it's anything like Agrigento I would definitely see that too. The Greek ruins in Italy are amazing, and incredibly well-preserved (which from a glance at Paestum seems to be the case).

This is all good advice. If you're not spending time in Rome, you'll have plenty of time for all of the above, likely with days to spare. Definitely visit Amalfi; you have the time and a car so there's no reason not to. From my research for my trip last year, I didn't see much else to do in Naples besides the above, so I wouldn't plan to spend a whole lot of time there. I skipped Sorrento and Capri so I can't speak to them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Windsor Castle isn't in zone 4 last time I checked. It's slightly further out of London than Heathrow. It's an entirely reasonable day-trip but you'll need to jump on an overland train to do so.

The 2-for-1 option for certain attractions requires you to print off attraction-specific coupons from here in advance. When you arrive at London you need to buy a 7 day travel card. It must be the orange paper version sold by National Rail so you need to visit a train station kiosk (Not the Oyster card or the pink paper travelcard sold from the Underground. Don't buy from Heathrow or on-line). Then when you get to a particular attraction, give them the relevant coupon you printed off before you left.

As to the cheapest method, I think that's only something that can be figured out by deciding what you'd like to visit and throwing the options in to a spreadsheet. But some quick maths:

Two LondonPass with travel (zones 1-6) for 6 days = £310. No attraction entry fees.
Two LondonPass without travel, two 7-day travel cards bought separately (zones 1-2) = £263. No attraction entry fees.
Two 7 Day Travel Card (zones 1-2) = £63. Approx £15-20 per attraction for both using 2-for-1 coupons. £20 on tube tickets to/from Heathrow.

The LondonPass with travel certainly isn't worth it. Buying the non-travel version, you'd have to visit about 10 paid attractions to make LondonPass cost effective, which strikes me as unlikely.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 6, 2014

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Windsor Castle isn't in zone 4 last time I checked. It's slightly further out of London than Heathrow. It's an entirely reasonable day-trip but you'll need to jump on an overland train to do so.

The 2-for-1 option for certain attractions requires you to print off attraction-specific coupons from here in advance. When you arrive at London you need to buy a 7 day travel card. It must be the orange paper version sold by National Rail so you need to visit a train station kiosk (Not the Oyster card or the pink paper travelcard sold from the Underground. Don't buy from Heathrow or on-line). Then when you get to a particular attraction, give them the relevant coupon you printed off before you left.

As to the cheapest method, I think that's only something that can be figured out by deciding what you'd like to visit and throwing the options in to a spreadsheet.

Ah, you're right. It's strangely difficult to find the right Windsor Castle with just Google Maps.

Helpful link, thanks. edit: I found this link also very helpful in understanding the details.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 6, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MagicCube posted:

on the way back to Naples stop at Torre Annunziata to see the Villa Poppaea and then stop at Ercolano and visit Herculaneum. It's better to go there after Pompeii because it's much smaller and you'll need more energy for Pompeii. If you're slow walkers then plan a full day for Pompeii, but I went around the whole place in 5-6 hours and saw everything. Get there right when it opens if you can because I was the only person there for about half an hour and it was surreal.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I was surprised at how hard it is to find decent suggestions for Naples online. Hardly anything in southern Italy is UNESCO, and it looks like most tourists posting online spend 2 days in the area to go to Anacapri and Pompeii and then go to Rome.

Only other question: I have 7 nights and I'm planning to stay in the Naples area the whole time, would you suggest staying in one place (e.g. Amalfi coast) and driving a lot, or would it be better to spend like ~3 days in Naples area and ~3 days down in Sorrento / Salerno area? Google Maps says it's only about a 45 minute drive each way, but maybe I'd hate that after a couple times; I imagine traffic is pretty bad there, not that I'd drive at 8-10am or 4-7 pm.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

TheEye posted:

I'm also not going alone, or rather I'm meeting someone there. But since you mention it, what's the easy way, or do you just show up and buy it for two? On that note, is the London Pass worth it? It looks like quite a lot of the top attractions are free, but the pass seems to cover most of the others. I suppose it could be a good deal if we can actually make it to several of the ones listed in the span of a day or two.
Many of them are close enough to each other that you could, but realistically you'd want to spend some time at most of these places, so fitting more than a couple of them in one day might be difficult. I suppose the pass might be worth it if you want to tour every castle, palace and church you can find and intend to somehow fit in botanical gardens and a trip to the zoo, but it seems to me that most people would be better served simply paying for entrance to the ones they want to visit

quote:

Regarding the subway, it looks like a 7 day travelcard is what we'd need. I'm not too sure about the zones and whatnot... I mean, it seems like almost everything is in 1 or 2, but then we might also do Windsor Castle (4) and obviously we'll need to go to/from Heathrow (6). But it seems like a waste to get a 1-6 card just for the airport.
Windsor isn't reachable by tube anyway (it's close to London, but not quite that close), but it's something like 30 minutes and 10£ from London by National Rail. Get the zone 1 or 1/2 travel card. The difference in price between a zone 1-2 travelcard and a zones 1-6 travelcard is larger than the price of train tickets from and to the airport (except for Heathrow Express, but that saves like 10 minutes compared to Connect).

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Pablo Bluth posted:

The 2-for-1 option for certain attractions requires you to print off attraction-specific coupons from here in advance. When you arrive at London you need to buy a 7 day travel card.

For others who are going to london, you don't need a 7 day travel card, you just have to have a train ticket printed on national rail paper for the day you want to visit the tower/tower bridge or what have you.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Saladman posted:

Only other question: I have 7 nights and I'm planning to stay in the Naples area the whole time, would you suggest staying in one place (e.g. Amalfi coast) and driving a lot, or would it be better to spend like ~3 days in Naples area and ~3 days down in Sorrento / Salerno area? Google Maps says it's only about a 45 minute drive each way, but maybe I'd hate that after a couple times; I imagine traffic is pretty bad there, not that I'd drive at 8-10am or 4-7 pm.

The second option seems best. Even with the car I wouldn't think it smart to use it to drive to Pompeii, or make trips everyday with it. I didn't drive in Naples, but from what I saw I wouldn't want to if I could help it. I'm not sure if you're used to driving in crazy places, but Naples (and Sicily) were absurd. Nobody follows lanes, everyone weaves in and out with no signalling, and just general craziness. I'd avoid driving in Naples as much as possible and go for the second option of splitting time between Naples and the coast. Despite it's size, Naples is extremely walk-able and the architecture is nice too.

I feel like Naples is very underrated because a lot of people just use it as a base to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and don't spend too much time in the city itself. It has a very untouristy and gritty feel, which was a nice change after Venice, Rome, etc.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MagicCube posted:

The second option seems best. Even with the car I wouldn't think it smart to use it to drive to Pompeii, or make trips everyday with it. I didn't drive in Naples, but from what I saw I wouldn't want to if I could help it. I'm not sure if you're used to driving in crazy places, but Naples (and Sicily) were absurd. Nobody follows lanes, everyone weaves in and out with no signalling, and just general craziness. I'd avoid driving in Naples as much as possible and go for the second option of splitting time between Naples and the coast. Despite it's size, Naples is extremely walk-able and the architecture is nice too.

I feel like Naples is very underrated because a lot of people just use it as a base to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and don't spend too much time in the city itself. It has a very untouristy and gritty feel, which was a nice change after Venice, Rome, etc.

Thanks. Was leaning towards doing that, but now will just book it like so. Should be no problem driving in southern Italy, I can't imagine it's that any worse than Marrakech, Amman, or Genova, although I do go crazy in stop-and-go traffic (driving in Rome got my blood pressure up worse than anywhere else).

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Going to Geneva this saturday for two weeks. I'm looking at Rail Passes, they seem awfully expensive and you can only use them a few days a month. What is your suggestion?

Edit: herpderp, read the OP you goof.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 7, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kommando posted:

Going to Geneva this saturday for two weeks. I'm looking at Rail Passes, they seem awfully expensive and you can only use them a few days a month. What is your suggestion?

Edit: herpderp, read the OP you goof.

What do you want to do? Unfortunately there is basically no way to get savings in Switzerland on the rail (buying 2 months in advance is same as buying 2 seconds before the train leaves). The only thing you can do is buy a demi tarif (1/2 card), which is one year of validity for something like 170 CHF. Unfortunately, CFF hates tourists so there's no shorter term than 1 year. But, the 170 CHF will pay for itself incredibly quickly, even doing a single tour around Switzerland (GVA --> Bern --> Basel --> Zurich --> St Gallen --> Ticino --> Geneva) the 1/2 card will save well over 170 CHF. If you go to the Jungfraujoch, it saves ~100 CHF on that single (~1.5 hour) train ride alone.

If you're over 25, you might consider renting a car instead. If you're traveling with someone else also, definitely get a car and never bother looking at trains once you've left Geneva.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Well we're hanging with my GFs mum for a WHO conference so we have a solid 4 day block in Geneva for the conference outside that, free explore. So we're basing out of Geneva. But we dont have really any solid plans. Maybe visit germany, maybe italy, definitely france, probably more of switzerland.

We're 30, her mum is nearly 60. we've got international driving permits. I'd like to see CERN and some UN stuff, mountains, the Black Forest area if ive got time. We're there for two weeks.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 7, 2014

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

So apparently I need to bring my own passport-size photo in order to buy a 7 day travelcard from the railways. :wtf:

Luckily I have a spare left over from last year, so I have all my coupons printed and am ready to go.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 8, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheEye posted:

So apparently I need to bring my own passport-size photo in order to buy a 7 day travelcard from the railways. :wtf:

Luckily I have a spare left over from last year, so I have all my coupons printed and am ready to go.

Make sure it's not a UK-sized passport photo you need.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

HookShot posted:

Make sure it's not a UK-sized passport photo you need.

:what:

Of course it couldn't be that easy.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kommando posted:

Well we're hanging with my GFs mum for a WHO conference so we have a solid 4 day block in Geneva for the conference outside that, free explore. So we're basing out of Geneva. But we dont have really any solid plans. Maybe visit germany, maybe italy, definitely france, probably more of switzerland.

We're 30, her mum is nearly 60. we've got international driving permits. I'd like to see CERN and some UN stuff, mountains, the Black Forest area if ive got time. We're there for two weeks.

100% rent a car then, since it will be 2 or 3 of you. If you rent in France it will probably be cheaper, though you'd have to make sure it has the Swiss highway vignette on it (40 CHF extra if it doesn't). Trains are way more expensive than renting a car, and parking is easy in most of Switzerland (not in Geneva though). Autoroutes are crazy expensive in France and fairly expensive in Italy, as in you can expect to pay as much in tolls as you pay in gas.

Just bring your normal license. International Driving Permits are unnecessary and not legally valid without your regular license anyway. I have a IDP but have literally never used it, even in countries where it is "required". I have never been to a country where an IDP was even useful (and have never shown it), and I travel a lot and almost always rent a car. The IDPs might be more useful if your permit is in an "unusual" language, i.e. not English, French, or Spanish.

If you want to see CERN, book now. You can't just show up for a tour, it has to be booked 2+ weeks in advance, often more.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

TheEye posted:

One museum that hadn't been mentioned is the Modern Tate gallery, I thought it was spectacular and spent a whole afternoon there.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

bionictom posted:

One museum that hadn't been mentioned is the Modern Tate gallery, I thought it was spectacular and spent a whole afternoon there.
That's a good suggestion! The Tate Modern is probably my favourite museum in London, the building alone is stunning, and they usually have good exhibitions. If you happen to go there on a nice day, the walk there along the riverside is actually quite nice, either coming from Waterloo or from London Bridge (via the Borough Market), instead of simply coming over the river via the Wobbly Millennium Bridge.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Saladman posted:

100% rent a car then, since it will be 2 or 3 of you. If you rent in France it will probably be cheaper, though you'd have to make sure it has the Swiss highway vignette on it (40 CHF extra if it doesn't). Trains are way more expensive than renting a car, and parking is easy in most of Switzerland (not in Geneva though). Autoroutes are crazy expensive in France and fairly expensive in Italy, as in you can expect to pay as much in tolls as you pay in gas.

Just bring your normal license. International Driving Permits are unnecessary and not legally valid without your regular license anyway. I have a IDP but have literally never used it, even in countries where it is "required". I have never been to a country where an IDP was even useful (and have never shown it), and I travel a lot and almost always rent a car. The IDPs might be more useful if your permit is in an "unusual" language, i.e. not English, French, or Spanish.

If you want to see CERN, book now. You can't just show up for a tour, it has to be booked 2+ weeks in advance, often more.

Thanks for the advice, i'll be bringing my actual drivers license too.
planes to Berlin seem to be $150AU return, so we might go visit my family there.

CERN is booked up till august :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

bionictom posted:

Hollow Talk posted:

That's a good suggestion! The Tate Modern is probably my favourite museum in London, the building alone is stunning, and they usually have good exhibitions. If you happen to go there on a nice day, the walk there along the riverside is actually quite nice, either coming from Waterloo or from London Bridge (via the Borough Market), instead of simply coming over the river via the Wobbly Millennium Bridge.

Yep, I think that's on the list. We developed a pretty nice itinerary over the last couple days, should be a fun trip.