Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

thetzar posted:

I'm really confused (delighted, but confused) by this. How was this done with a firmware patch? Have I been blaming EVF hardware for what's been software lag all along?
The main cause of lag isn't just the EVF unit itself but all of the stuff that has to happen to feed the picture in to the EVF. The sensor has to collect the photons, read the charge and convert it to digital, feed it to a CPU that does the maths to make it look right, before it even reaches the EVF. Each stage, even it small itself, can soon add up (throw in delays as the data is transferred from one subsystem to the next). The Fuji engineers have evidently sat down and really optimised each stage, or come up with smarter ways to use the hardware.

A while back Canon released a firmware upgrade for the 7D that increased the buffer behaviour for raws from 15 to 25 before slowdown. Clearly they couldn't make the buffer physically larger or make the CF hardware write quicker, but by optimising the code they got the hardware to clear the buffer quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

I recently spent a month in Japan and I saw a pristine Nex 5 in a used camera shop for next to nothing. I was looking for an old Nex as a backup body so I nabbed it. I picked up that Sigma 19mm for a good deal too and it's been a great walk-around combo. I'm sure the lens would be even better on a more modern body like the 6.

Except the menus are stuck in Japanese-only forever :sigh: Had to buy a used 5 at a store in Kobe last winter when my 3's shutter bit the dust in the middle of a trip.

(I know, not really a big deal with a cheap backup body, just venting really)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Except the menus are stuck in Japanese-only forever :sigh: Had to buy a used 5 at a store in Kobe last winter when my 3's shutter bit the dust in the middle of a trip.

(I know, not really a big deal with a cheap backup body, just venting really)

Yeah, it's a weird decision. Luckily I can read most of the menus and can figure out the kanji I don't know. Good practice anyway. These old NEX menus are horrible in any language.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Picking up a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI this weekend for $100. :snoop:

I haven't used the fuji lenses ever since I started shooting MF lenses on my XT-1.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

keyframe posted:

Picking up a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI this weekend for $100. :snoop:

I haven't used the fuji lenses ever since I started shooting MF lenses on my XT-1.

Nice, I have used my 105mm on the Xpro a few times and it owns.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 1, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I just got my Nikon->Fuji adapter today. What lenses should I be on the lookout for?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Geektox posted:

I just got my Nikon->Fuji adapter today. What lenses should I be on the lookout for?

Frankly the only thing I consider worth buying to adapt is the 105mm f/2.5 (or F/1.8) and probably the 180mm AI. Anything else decent is either huge, expensive, or has a better version available from Fuji. The 105m is nice because it's reasonably fast, relatively small and sharp wide open.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

grack posted:

Fuji X owner - 18mm F2 Yay or Nay? I have the option to get it for a reasonable price.

18mm on the 18-55 is better wide than the 18mm prime. You lose a stop. No one cares about missing that stop. Do whatever you want.

Geektox posted:

The 105 2.5 is a sleeper junk looking lens with pro glass elements inside, get one. 50mm F2 AI if you lack a 50mm. The 20mm 2.8 is great wide open from my experience.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Just picked up an E-PM2 on ebay for 199. It's their deal of the day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-E-P...=item461ecc9ea2

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just got my GX7, this thing has no "soul" whatsoever (wasn't expecting that) but it's a hell of a tool. The 20 1.7 is like getting handed a big bottle of water in the desert after living with the 14 2.5. Still jealous of you Fuji dudes, if an X-Pro 2 drops I don't know if I'll be able to control myself.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

d0s posted:

Just got my GX7, this thing has no "soul" whatsoever (wasn't expecting that) but it's a hell of a tool. The 20 1.7 is like getting handed a big bottle of water in the desert after living with the 14 2.5. Still jealous of you Fuji dudes, if an X-Pro 2 drops I don't know if I'll be able to control myself.

By no soul you meant it has too much beginner interface holding you back?

Is the EVF good at least?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Fuji:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hGIYiWXq2s

Panasonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8rtBUt8dRI

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

whatever7 posted:

By no soul you meant it has too much beginner interface holding you back?

Is the EVF good at least?

It was kind of a joke, it's interface is excellent, absolutely none of the sort of thing I see when I mess with NEX cameras in the store. I'm just referring to the design which is just typical Panasonic, leaning more towards "anonymous Japanese consumer electronics" than "classic camera". I'm OK with this, it's performance is fantastic (for u43), but I don't think the tactile experience would compare to a Fuji, or a rangefinder digital like an R-D1 or Leica M-whatever. I would like an X100 style OVF and dedicated shutter speed/aperture controls instead of a mode dial, but the camera handles these functions well enough to where it's very much a "want" rather then a "need". Tradeoffs and compromise.

I'm very happy with it, it fixes everything I didn't like about my GX-1 which was mainly ergonomic. They moved the lens off to the left which allows space for a nice big grip, so I don't fell like I'm using a Monster Hunter claw to grip the thing. There's an integrated EVF and an extra wheel around the shutter which is a huge plus.

EDIT: And the 15mm lens being released soon is gonna have an aperture ring, hallelujah.

EDIT2: The EVF is great, a bit annoying to use with glasses but functionally perfect.

Some test shots:

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 1, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Totally unrelated, but is that a rPi? What's that purple swirly doohickey in the bottom right corner? What do you use it for?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Geektox posted:

Totally unrelated, but is that a rPi? What's that purple swirly doohickey in the bottom right corner? What do you use it for?

Yeah, it's an rpi, I use it to run Risc OS, specifically to play Acorn Archimedes games natively. It's a fun project if you're into old games and the Archimedes had some neat stuff.

The swirly thing is a PiGlow, which is just a board with some very bright colored lights you can control with your pi using simple code for mood lighting or whatever.

EDIT: You gave me an idea for an indoor/available light test shot, here's my old computer gear handheld with the GX7. ISO 640

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 2, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

8th-snype posted:

Frankly the only thing I consider worth buying to adapt is the 105mm f/2.5 (or F/1.8) and probably the 180mm AI. Anything else decent is either huge, expensive, or has a better version available from Fuji. The 105m is nice because it's reasonably fast, relatively small and sharp wide open.

I disagree. I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 and the 24mm 2.8 and they are both small and absolutely amazing lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

I disagree. I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 and the 24mm 2.8 and they are both small and absolutely amazing lenses.

After XF lens price come down slightly, I see very little reason to shoot manual. I used to have a whole bunch of manual for, 28mm, 50mm 55mm, 105mm etc I sold all of them (except a 28/2.8 I keep it on the FM2n)

Look a 24mm 2.8 lens from any mount, will cost you more than $200, some times more. A 20mm manual lens is in the same ball park and MF ultra wide lens has alot more distortion than modern lens. With a Fuji 18mm for $300 and 27mm for $200, I just don't see reason to play with the MF lens anymore personally.

I used to have a major hard on for the AIS 50/1.2, which you can still buy new for 700 from B&H. Nowadays, I rather wait for the new Fuji X-deal and get the 56/1.2 for around the same price. Sure its not a FF lens, but big freaking deal. My FF complex has slowly waned now that Fuji can offer APSC option in almost every classic focal length.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 2, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

keyframe posted:

I have owned several Nikon 50mm f/1.4s and a 24mm f/2.8. I would call them adequate not amazing. There's no reason to go out of your way to buy those specific lenses.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What mounts work well with the X-E1? I'm looking to get some affordable old glass.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I like Minolta MD lenses a lot, and they can get pretty cheap since no modern camera natively uses them, Canon FD is the same way. Pentax and Nikon are also good, but tend to be more expensive since they still work on current cameras. It never hurts to just go on ebay and see what's cheap, since adapters are only $15 or so.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hey SoundMonkey remember how I said weeks ago that I'd review the fisheye for you? Well here ya go :toot:

The lens juts out from the front a bit more than the 15mm body cap lens. See below:

15mm f/8

9mm f/8

Overall it doesn't have much of the "fisheye" effect compared to what I was expecting. A few examples from a recent Hawai'i trip are below. Obviously you'll only want to use this in good light but it does that surprisingly well. These are .jpgs right out of the camera.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Overall I like it a lot, especially given it's only ~$100 USD, weighs nothing and plenty easy to toss in the bag. Obviously it won't do much for you in low light, but it's really hard to argue with a $100 lens that basically doesn't weigh anything.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 3, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whats the cheapest m43 body that support time lapse / continous shooting so I can use this fish eye to shoot road trip time lapse video?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, has anyone used a Fuji for studio work? I don't want to put money towards an SLR camera when I feel like doing portraits and such.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Whats the cheapest m43 body that support time lapse / continous shooting so I can use this fish eye to shoot road trip time lapse video?

Just pick up a GoPro. No mirror there.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cru Jones posted:

Just pick up a GoPro. No mirror there.

For the price of GoPro, I can get a used GM1 and a 9mm fisheye lens. You can't compare the camera with a cellphone sized sensor to the sensor of a m43 camera. Even a $150 Canon s110 with hacked firmware can beat the crap out of gopro.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Elderbean posted:

Also, has anyone used a Fuji for studio work? I don't want to put money towards an SLR camera when I feel like doing portraits and such.
http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1 is worth keeping an eye on to see who is using Fuji stuff to shoot. http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/ is Fuji Marketing's attempt to document notable photographers using their systems. Between those two you should find some studio work.

One that comes to mind is Damien Lovegrove / prophotonut.com.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Pablo Bluth posted:

http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1 is worth keeping an eye on to see who is using Fuji stuff to shoot. http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/ is Fuji Marketing's attempt to document notable photographers using their systems. Between those two you should find some studio work.

One that comes to mind is Damien Lovegrove / prophotonut.com.

adding https://www.nathanelson.com to that list.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

DJExile posted:

Overall it doesn't have much of the "fisheye" effect compared to what I was expecting.

I think that's just because you don't have any close objects in the foreground in these pictures.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

Gf3+ triggertrap or some other cheap remote. I can't think of any that support it internally though.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Gf3+ triggertrap or some other cheap remote. I can't think of any that support it internally though.

According to my google-fu, E-PL1 has a video diorama mode which can shoot 15x fast video with no audio (so 2 second internal time lapse). But for the life of me I can't find how long can a battery last. Also GM1 can shoot it internally at 1080p which is best for now. Ideally Fuji should make the next XM1 support it internally. I think I will stick with a hack S110 for now.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

whatever7 posted:

According to my google-fu, E-PL1 has a video diorama mode which can shoot 15x fast video with no audio (so 2 second internal time lapse). But for the life of me I can't find how long can a battery last. Also GM1 can shoot it internally at 1080p which is best for now. Ideally Fuji should make the next XM1 support it internally. I think I will stick with a hack S110 for now.

I have an EPL1, I found that feature accidentally as it's not really explained anywhere, its more like if you use diorama mode it is so slow that it ends up being time lapse. I did a 30 minute recording and it used a fairly big % of the battery. I wouldn't count on more than 90 minutes.

edit - if anyone in japan wants it I am selling it for $100.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

For the price of GoPro, I can get a used GM1 and a 9mm fisheye lens. You can't compare the camera with a cellphone sized sensor to the sensor of a m43 camera. Even a $150 Canon s110 with hacked firmware can beat the crap out of gopro.

Perhaps, but asking about riding around in the car and GoPros have a whole ecosystem of mounts and hardware that just work. And not every one wants to hack firmware and jury rig solutions.

Used GoPro, windshield mount and car charger cord and your good to go. Plus being able to control from your smartphone and change settings without unmounting is nice

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Apparently the $1800 leica t standard zoom needs a shitload of software corrections so you don't even get exceptional glass.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Malcolm XML posted:

Apparently the $1800 leica t standard zoom needs a shitload of software corrections so you don't even get exceptional glass.

I made the mistake of commenting on the Steve Huff post about this, and then got like 5,000 emails within an hour because it subscribed me. (people care a lot about defending Leica apparently)

People who argue the T lenses are worth the price, allude to M lenses and their high resale value and great optics. The problem is that I feel they are connected, I don't want to buy an M lens, but I understand the awesome glass design is part of why they are expensive (along with the red dot of course). If a lens has horrible optical design (and that is some crazy distortion on the zoom, like 18-350mm Tamron level poo poo) it cannot justify a high price because all it has is the red dot.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 5, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I made the mistake of commenting on the Steve Huff post about this, and then got like 5,000 emails within an hour because it subscribed me. (people care a lot about defending Leica apparently)

People who argue the T lenses are worth the price, allude to M lenses and their high resale value and great optics. The problem is that I feel they are connected, I don't want to buy an M lens, but I understand the awesome glass design is part of why they are expensive (along with the red dot of course). If a lens has horrible optical design (and that is some crazy distortion on the zoom, like 18-350mm Tamron level poo poo) it cannot justify a high price because all it has is the red dot.

I think the Leica M cameras and lenses are awesome and really wish I could afford an M-E and 35mm Summicron, but I feel like just about everything they put out that's not related to the M system is just kinda "boutique" stuff that's for people with more money than sense or taste and the people buying that stuff don't really give a poo poo about the details and just want a status symbol. I like to think it subsidizes their rangefinder products but what what those cost I'm not really sure either.

If Leica made a cheaper M system rangefinder like a modern Epson R-D1 with an APS-C sensor and the classic ergonomics at a $1000-1500 price point I think it would be an enormous hit and big moneymaker but they probably feel that would cheapen the brand or something, which is kind of sad as I think putting out stuff like the T or the rebadged Pansonics cheapens it more than a budget M camera ever would.

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 12, 2014

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

d0s posted:

I think the Leica M cameras and lenses are awesome and really wish I could afford an M-E and 35mm Summicron, but I feel like just about everything they put out that's not related to the M system is just kinda "boutique" stuff that's for people with more money than sense or taste and the people buying that stuff don't really give a poo poo about the details and just want a status symbol. I like to think it subsides their rangefinder products but what what those cost I'm not really sure either.

If Leica made a cheaper M system rangefinder like a modern Epson R-D1 with an APS-C sensor and the classic ergonomics at a $1000-1500 price point I think it would be an enormous hit and big moneymaker but they probably feel that would cheapen the brand or something, which is kind of sad as I think putting out stuff like the T or the rebadged Pansonics cheapens it more than a budget M camera ever would.

The 35mm Summicron is not a great lens: it suffers from focus shift, which is pretty unacceptable for a $3k prime. As popular as the M may be within it's niche, I don't think it stands a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding with the general consumer, whose aims tend to be taking baby pictures. Bearing that in mind, it wouldn't matter if there were an affordable M, because people would start comparing specs. No autofocus at $1500? pass. I get the feeling that Leica probably makes good money off of their S range, which is used by professionals in studios, and they will likely have success with their new cine lines. Outside of that, I tend to think they make money by doing contract work for other industries. The other thing to remember is that their current owner and CEO is almost an angel investor in the company.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

As popular as the M may be within it's niche, I don't think it stands a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding with the general consumer, whose aims tend to be taking baby pictures. Bearing that in mind, it wouldn't matter if there were an affordable M, because people would start comparing specs. No autofocus at $1500? pass.

Again, we already went through this with the Epson R-D1, which has reached cult-camera status because there is quite a lot of demand for a digital rangefinder and not a lot of options in the sub-$2000 pricerange.

Believe it or not there actually are quite a lot of people who use manual-focus glass in various forms (adapted manual-focus SLR glass, rangefinders, etc). There's three general types people fall into: people who want to shoot good, cheap glass, people who want to do the photo entirely on their own, and people who don't want to trust autofocus. The first group are cheap, the second group generally enjoy the process of composing and shooting manually. The third group is a big overlap with the second but also includes people who shoot in tougher conditions that can confuse autofocus (macro, low light, etc) or want to use tricks like zone-focus that often can't be done on autofocus systems.

It's not a niche that can support sales volumes like a consumer DSLR, but it's certainly enough to support moderate production particularly if the camera is decent. I think a lot of the Fuji X-series sales are capitalizing on pent-up demand for a digital rangefinder. They're probably the competition at this point. On the other hand, letting Cosina (maker of the Bessa cameras) throw a rangefinder on your MILC makes you a very distinctive product, and there's no reason you can't still offer a lot of the features that make Fuji nice (eg digital split-prism).

The CEO may be an "angel investor" but Leica's product line is pretty comical these days. It's just using the red dot and other trappings of the Leica brand to extract as much money as possible from rich idiots. At least back when they made film cameras they were honestly good cameras (if extremely expensive). Nowadays it's just rebadged Panasonic and Sony crap, much like Hasselblad. Even Leica's "premium" products like the M9 are about as serious a photographic tool as the Sigma DSLRs with their Foveon sensors and $7000 price tag (i.e. not at all).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 5, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got to play with an X-E2 (without the 0.005s EVF firmware update). I'd really like to see the EVF with the firmware update, without it it felt a tad sluggish when panning quickly and there was some tearing. The X-E2 form factor felt awesome but I had a couple of niggles. One, the tripod thread is off-axis and two, it didn't seem like there was a way to map ISO to a button+dial like you can on the lesser nikons (meaning u have to go into the X-E2's menus for ISO). AF seemed responsive but I didn't really get to put it through its paces. I really dig the placement of the EVF. Being able to put my eye to the viewfinder without smudging my nose all over the LCD is an appreciated improvement over DSLRs.

What is the deal with the off-axis tripod thread? I have a panoramic tripod head so it sort of puts me off. The X-T1 has an ISO dial so I guess that's where the good ISO controls are.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Was the RD1 really such a big deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Dren posted:

I got to play with an X-E2 (without the 0.005s EVF firmware update). I'd really like to see the EVF with the firmware update, without it it felt a tad sluggish when panning quickly and there was some tearing. The X-E2 form factor felt awesome but I had a couple of niggles. One, the tripod thread is off-axis and two, it didn't seem like there was a way to map ISO to a button+dial like you can on the lesser nikons (meaning u have to go into the X-E2's menus for ISO). AF seemed responsive but I didn't really get to put it through its paces. I really dig the placement of the EVF. Being able to put my eye to the viewfinder without smudging my nose all over the LCD is an appreciated improvement over DSLRs.

What is the deal with the off-axis tripod thread? I have a panoramic tripod head so it sort of puts me off. The X-T1 has an ISO dial so I guess that's where the good ISO controls are.

The ISO dial thing is overblown. You look through the viewfinder or at the back screen with the fn button held down, and it will pull up an ISO selection menu. If not by default, you can configure it to do so.