Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

pksage posted:

I had the exact same experience on my very first T4 today. I'm DRG, I didn't know anything going in except "kill Knights first because you're melee DPS", and we had no problems whatsoever. Pretty sure everyone was ilvl 90 or so, though.

Also the bugs in T4 are totally FF12 mimics, and I heard the knights/soldiers are from FF13?

Yeah, all the robots are from FF13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Algid posted:

Crafting, the recipes are lvl30, but I you need to be lvl50 to read the master recipe books.

So is that just that non crafters can't have it, or just that for whatever reason there are NONE in the auction house today?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Feenix posted:

So is that just that non crafters can't have it, or just that for whatever reason there are NONE in the auction house today?
Ask in the fc, there should be someone that can make it (me for example).

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Rei_ posted:

hahaha, were you in that with me? We had like, this newbie Paladin who kept INSISTING on tanking even though I had him outgeared and I'd always be the last one standing in each fight. People kept running off the edge, no one was dodging poo poo, and the one time I said I'd tank I was so pissed off at that point I forgot to pop Defiance until Titan landed the first punch.

Amazingly, it was a different group that sounds pretty similar. I was the main tank as PLD with an average ilvl of 86, and the other PLD was one of the first timers (who begged me to MT). Several people ran off the edge, the OT kept getting knocked off, and the WHM got hit by every single weight of the land - ALL of them. On our first attempt with 50% echo, three of the DPS died before the heart even came out, so we couldn't get the heart down in time. With 50% echo. The next two attempts still could not succeed. Yes, all three tries at 50% echo were failures. :psyduck:

That shitshow was followed by a CT that took three tries to down bone dragon and couldn't get past atomos. After the fourth attempt there, the vote abandon passed.

:negative:

seorin fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 5, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Was the other Paladins name Kevin

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Rei_ posted:

It's weird being OT during some of these fights because your job is basically to helplessly watch the trainwreck happen.

and/or get blasted off the side of the arena :sweatdrop:

Though off-tanking in Thornmarch is sooooo fun, easily the best Primal fight I've done so far.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Algid posted:

The require less accuracy from the rear, you should be gearing for flank accuracy since you want to land heavy thrust. You probably want to be on the flank because heavy thrust wears off sooner than disembowel, doesn't really matter as long as you can keep your (de)buffs and DoTs up.

Ideally, though, you can place yourself right on the point on the targeting circle where the thinnest bit meets the side bit. That way, you take one step to the side, and you're hitting the flank, or take two steps back the other way, and hit the back.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you ever stop moving as a DRG then you obviously didn't read the player handbook.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I guess the bulk of new PS4 players are hitting 50 now because I can't really explain otherwise why roulettes have been so uniquely terrible the past few days

wisdomHNOX posted:

I am considering returning to this game after an extended break (I played shortly into the paid sub period). Is PBC on Excalibur still the place to be?

Unless PBC vanished into the mists like Brigadoon between today and the last time I edited the groups section of the OP, I do believe it is the most active guild, yes

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 5, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So um, I've bought the digital game through amazon, but after a few minutes of updating the green bar got stuck and all the pertinent information dissapeared. It looks like this. What should I do?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

So um, I've bought the digital game through amazon, but after a few minutes of updating the green bar got stuck and all the pertinent information dissapeared. It looks like this. What should I do?

The launcher gives up every now and then, close it and restart. It picks back up where it left off.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I've had patches that I had to download 50 MB at a time. The launcher can be a real bitch if it doesn't like your network setup for some reason.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thank you for the responses. While the drat game updates I created and linked my account at ffgoons.com, and I'm reading some begginer guides while I wait. I played FFXI a long time ago, and now that I have a lot of spare time in my hands I fugured Im gonna give this pony another ride.

I was a Ranger and Samurai in FFXI, but this time I think I'm going to go the White Mage route. It just seems easier to get in a party and stuff, since I remember last time they were in very high demand.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Chairman posted:

I guess the bulk of new PS4 players are hitting 50 now because I can't really explain otherwise why roulettes have been so uniquely terrible the past few days

I had a dragoon in DF the other day in Lost City who had a mix of i55 AF and i90 AF and they weren't that good, and realized that this is the new normal.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Thank you for the responses. While the drat game updates I created and linked my account at ffgoons.com, and I'm reading some begginer guides while I wait. I played FFXI a long time ago, and now that I have a lot of spare time in my hands I fugured Im gonna give this pony another ride.

I was a Ranger and Samurai in FFXI, but this time I think I'm going to go the White Mage route. It just seems easier to get in a party and stuff, since I remember last time they were in very high demand.

This isn't like FFXI, there's really no "high demand" jobs. The job you choose defines your "role" in a party (either 4-man or 8-man) and the Duty Finder puts you with other people to round out the party to run content. Tanks usually get the fastest queues, followed by healers, but since 2.2 I've noticed that my Monk gets faster queues than my healer so there's that.

Just play what you find fun and you will get plenty of groups.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is very little content in the game where you need specific classes. Generally speaking, a tank is a tank, a DPS is a DPS, and a healer is a healer. There are some cases, of course, that need more specialization. For the most part, though, just do what you want, and it will work.

And now that the echo is present, a lot of those use cases have spread more thinly. Prior to the coil echo, T4 needed a paladin MT and war OT. I MTed it on my war a few times yesterday without any issue because I have almost 11000 life with the echo and food.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Celador posted:

This isn't like FFXI, there's really no "high demand" jobs. The job you choose defines your "role" in a party (either 4-man or 8-man) and the Duty Finder puts you with other people to round out the party to run content. Tanks usually get the fastest queues, followed by healers, but since 2.2 I've noticed that my Monk gets faster queues than my healer so there's that.

Just play what you find fun and you will get plenty of groups.

This man speaks true. You can play a falafel tank and do perfectly fine. Or a balkan healer or whatever you wish, as long as you have fun!

Squidgy
May 22, 2010
Scholars are in high demand, actually. Most 8-man party setups call for 1WHM/1SCH, or even 2SCH sometimes because scholars are like really really good and I'm almost certain that white mages outnumber scholars by a good amount.

Getting to 30 Arcanist for the job crystal is the hard part though, because you are forced to act as a DPS for 15 levels of dungeons but the trade off is that you'll likely be better off at level 50 because white mages are scum and they suck and nobody likes them.

Also everyone seems to want to mislead you into long DPS queues under the guise of fun, but thankfully you can easily change your mind once you've seen through their lies.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
That makes me realize another thing that FFXI vets need to realize when starting XIV: choose your race based on appearance and not starting stats. The racial stats in this game are minimal and have literally no effect on your ability to play any of the classes/jobs in this game, especially at 50.

With that said, the best race based on appearance/animations is Lalafell. Luckily SE gives you an item to change your race once you have paid for a month of subscription in case you made the mistake of not rolling Lalafell at the start.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Don't be swayed by the lies, the master race is obviously highmander.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
PF Titan EX, took three parties but we managed to kill it. I have come to the conclusion, which I already suspected, that all Paladins are horrible tanks. Every wipe was by the Paladin. Three different Paladins.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Best race is Miqo'te, duh

Though I want a lalafell monk because a tiny dude punching everything to death and dunking on fools is pretty :3:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Dragon Kick from a Lalafell is indeed the best thing ever in this game.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Squidgy posted:

Scholars are in high demand, actually. Most 8-man party setups call for 1WHM/1SCH, or even 2SCH sometimes because scholars are like really really good and I'm almost certain that white mages outnumber scholars by a good amount.

Getting to 30 Arcanist for the job crystal is the hard part though, because you are forced to act as a DPS for 15 levels of dungeons but the trade off is that you'll likely be better off at level 50 because white mages are scum and they suck and nobody likes them.

Also everyone seems to want to mislead you into long DPS queues under the guise of fun, but thankfully you can easily change your mind once you've seen through their lies.

So... start as an arcanist and then specialize into scholar? Whats the main difference between a scholar and a white mage?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So... start as an arcanist and then specialize into scholar? Whats the main difference between a scholar and a white mage?

Have you ever played WoW? If so, a Scholar is basically a Discipline Priest with a pet that helps them out, whereas White Mage is a Holy Priest.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Scholar is more about mitigation and putting invisible HP shields on their target, whereas White Mage is your huge direct-heal guy. They complement each other nicely when you have one of each in an 8-man group, and either is perfectly fine for 4-man content.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Scholars do preventative healing with shields that block as much damage as they heal (or more, if they crit). They also have a pet, who can split the healing duties with them (either double-heal the same target or heal different targets), and who can provide buffs. Their big heal is percentage-of-HP, and somewhat spammable. In lower-risk situations they can also DoT up a bunch of enemies.

White mages do straight up direct healing with no shielding effect, though they also get a stoneskin spell which blocks damage as a percentage of the target's HP (MP- and time-inefficient so more often used between fights or when anticipating a predictable big hit). They also get some HoTs. Their big heal restores the target to full HP, but has a long cooldown. In lower-risk situations they can do moderate single-target damage or heavy (but MP-expensive) AoE damage (Holy).

They synergize quite well with each other, and for almost all situations the ideal is to have one of each. WHM + WHM also works pretty decently, since direct-healing throughput can handle a lot of situations. The problem with SCH + SCH is mostly that multiple scholars' shields don't stack with each other, so you're missing out on a lot of the potential benefit.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kyrosiris posted:

Have you ever played WoW? If so, a Scholar is basically a Discipline Priest with a pet that helps them out, whereas White Mage is a Holy Priest.

No, never had a chance to play WoW. It looks like ACN is the same as SMN in FFXI, right? With Carbuncle as your first summon and everything.

e: let me know if these questions are better suited for somewhere else or if you think I'm clogging up your thread with noob poo poo. I really appreciate the help. I'm reading the SCH thread in ffgoons now.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Arcanist, oddly enough, has more in common with Warlocks from WoW than it does with Summoners from FFXI. Their main attacks are damage over time spells and they have a pet to act as an additional DoT or a tank.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Arcanist: basic pet-and-DOTs class, can choose between a damage pet and a tanking pet, gets a simple heal and raise

Summoner: builds on Arcanist with more DOTs and more tools for manipulating them
Scholar: replaces pets with two healing-focused pets, all job-specific tools are heals, buffs and damage mitigation

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just went to start the game on PS4 and where I usually put my log-in info, it says "An error has occurred, please try again later."

What do I do?

:(

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 5, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

RCarr posted:

Just went to start the game on PS4 and where I usually put my log-in info, it says "An error has occurred, please try again later."

What do I do?

:(

Try again later?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Will report back later.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

RCarr posted:

Will report back later.

Keep us posted.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Tremors posted:

Don't be swayed by the lies, the master race is obviously highmander.

Just out of curiosity, what top is that?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Chairman posted:

I swear to god it almost feels like I'm being an rear end in a top hat about it, but I just get these like, DPS players sometimes who do not loving talk, like ever, and spend the entire instance running ahead, DYING and then running ahead of us again. Over and over. You try to explain that there are ways to rush an instance, but for the most part pulling has to be done in a controlled manner and at a pace that the healer can keep up with. They don't pay attention to marks, they just wail away on sleeping targets, draw aggro so many times on last-mark targets I'm running out of MP and TP trying to keep everything under control. And I'm sitting there like, oh my god, I'm carrying a ten year old through this dungeon. Oh gently caress. Call of Duty has come to MMOs because there are no games on PS4.

Dungeon ends, DPS player says 'bad tank' and then quits. Two commends from the other players. Like

:sigh:

And I wish poo poo like this was uncommon, but I had a healer LAST night who was jumping circles around me while i was fighting mobs with frontal AOE cones. I can't MOVE because if I switch the positioning the BLM is in the way.

It would be ENTIRELY different if they communicated. If they just said 'I'm just a kid and/or I'm new to this' it'd be whatever. I love showing people how to play these games, and how early-to-mid content works.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 5, 2014

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Orfeo posted:

Just out of curiosity, what top is that?

Hempen Undershirt. It only looks like that on highlander men.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Rei_ posted:

And I wish poo poo like this was uncommon, but I had a healer LAST night who was jumping circles around me while i was fighting mobs with frontal AOE cones.

I don't understand the healers who, in dungeons where not much healing is required, get bored enough to jump around but never decide to start DPSing and speed the run up. It's kind of aggravating.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Rei_ posted:

I swear to god it almost feels like I'm being an rear end in a top hat about it, but I just get these like, DPS players sometimes who do not loving talk, like ever, and spend the entire instance running ahead, DYING and then running ahead of us again. Over and over. You try to explain that there are ways to rush an instance, but for the most part pulling has to be done in a controlled manner and at a pace that the healer can keep up with. They don't pay attention to marks, they just wail away on sleeping targets, draw aggro so many times on last-mark targets I'm running out of MP and TP trying to keep everything under control. And I'm sitting there like, oh my god, I'm carrying a ten year old through this dungeon. Oh gently caress. Call of Duty has come to MMOs because there are no games on PS4.

Dungeon ends, DPS player says 'bad tank' and then quits. Two commends from the other players. Like

:sigh:

And I wish poo poo like this was uncommon, but I had a healer LAST night who was jumping circles around me while i was fighting mobs with frontal AOE cones. I can't MOVE because if I switch the positioning the BLM is in the way.

It would be ENTIRELY different if they communicated. If they just said 'I'm just a kid and/or I'm new to this' it'd be whatever. I love showing people how to play these games, and how early-to-mid content works.

This really is my biggest complaint with the latest batch of new players: they don't understand or refuse to be patient enough for "let the tank pull" or "do X and Y to beat the boss" and end up making a hash of otherwise easy instances.

Not quite 50 content, but it was impossible for me to get Qarn done for my animus weapon this weekend because of silent, impatient PS4 players who were just oblivious to everything and making the same mistake over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Tremors posted:

Hempen Undershirt. It only looks like that on highlander men.

Dammit. I need something equally revealing for a Roegadyn male, but the swimsuit tops are too covering.

• Locked thread