Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Seaside Loafer posted:

Mature student information request. After ive done my exams at the end of the month can I sign on for the summer break? I'll be looking for some temp job obviously but if I cant get one am I allowed or am I still officially employed sort of.
You're a student until you've graduated, I believe, so you probably can't sign on. (I'm currently royally hosed by a similar situation. :smith:) OTOH they might make an exception if you are going to be looking for full time work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Kegluneq posted:

You're a student until you've graduated, I believe, so you probably can't sign on. (I'm currently royally hosed by a similar situation. :smith:) OTOH they might make an exception if you are going to be looking for full time work.
Ok, thanks i'll make a note of your username and if I find anything else out i'll let you know.

a var of piss
Nov 16, 2013

Seaside Loafer posted:

Mature student information request. After ive done my exams at the end of the month can I sign on for the summer break? I'll be looking for some temp job obviously but if I cant get one am I allowed or am I still officially employed sort of.

You will most likely not qualify. If you are a lone parent or receiving payment for a disability then you might qualify. You would be best to check with your local citizen's advice for information on how to sort things out. Your university and the govt may also award funding depending on your student circumstances and you should talk to the student support office on campus for guidance.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Yep, ta, will do.

e: The bugger of it is that there are plently of temp shelf stacking things round here which would do me fine but ive got a criminal record which causes problems with shops etc. Never bothered the software jobs (15 years worth), they didnt even check but with shops they always do. Got a caution for a weapon and a few tickets for shoplifting, this was all a bloody long time ago, im a good boy now but they show up on the CRB check and it kinda rules you out of anything that runs a check. Might have to resort to call center, ah well it will only be for a couple of months.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 5, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Another day, another arrest for things said on Twitter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-27282910

quote:

A man has admitted posting abusive Twitter messages about the murder of school teacher Ann Maguire.

Robert Riley, from Port Talbot, South Wales, appeared before magistrates in Leeds where he admitted sending a message of a grossly offensive, abusive or malicious character.

This is the second arrest for offensive messages posted to the #annmaguire hashtag.

I worry about how prosecution for "just" causing offence is now becoming the norm. Obviously when you get into racist/sexist/etc abuse, or direct threats and harassment, then I think yes, the Plod should be involved (and yet they almost never do, possibly because they'd never be able to get anything else done ever). However in this case while what he (is alleged to have) posted, while offensive, is not in any way menacing. Simply being offensive shouldn't result in possible imprisonment - that's a precedent that every single poster here should worry about, particularly people who celebrate the death of elderly women on national television...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What's he supposed to have posted? I wasn't sure whether it was something along the lines of "ha ha she got what she deserved" or if he was posting the kid's name online.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I worry about how prosecution for "just" causing offence is now becoming the norm.

Yes, but if you read past the Ann Maguire hook, you will see

Sandra White, prosecuting posted:

Riley had posted a number of offensive tweets, only some of which related to Mrs Maguire's murder.

And he has some community order already, so it's not quite as simple as "arresting him for saying nasty things about that poor dead teacher".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Umiapik posted:

What's he supposed to have posted? I wasn't sure whether it was something along the lines of "ha ha she got what she deserved" or if he was posting the kid's name online.

Googling his name will get what he (is alleged to have) posted - I'm leery enough of contempt of court not to repost it directly.

schadenfraud posted:

Yes, but if you read past the Ann Maguire hook, you will see

And he has some community order already, so it's not quite as simple as "arresting him for saying nasty things about that poor dead teacher".

Yeah, but he was arrested by South Yorkshire Police specifically for the Maguire tweet.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They got Al Capone for tax evasion. Just saying.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Another day, another arrest for things said on Twitter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-27282910

This is the second arrest for offensive messages posted to the #annmaguire hashtag.

I worry about how prosecution for "just" causing offence is now becoming the norm. Obviously when you get into racist/sexist/etc abuse, or direct threats and harassment, then I think yes, the Plod should be involved (and yet they almost never do, possibly because they'd never be able to get anything else done ever). However in this case while what he (is alleged to have) posted, while offensive, is not in any way menacing. Simply being offensive shouldn't result in possible imprisonment - that's a precedent that every single poster here should worry about, particularly people who celebrate the death of elderly women on national television...

Wait wait... what was that last bit again?

To be honest I was lucky the reporter didn't ask for my name or I'd have probably been splashed across the Mail front page like that Scottish primary school teacher was.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ddraig posted:

They got Al Capone for tax evasion. Just saying.

Tax evasion is money laundering though. That's still a big thing on the list of crimes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The day I make the list of History's Greatest Monsters is the day I know I've made it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Brovine posted:

Just in case you thought Jamie Oliver was in any way a decent person:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/13/jamie-oliver-praises-ukip_n_3264693.html

I know the article's old but I do love how he thinks UKIP of all people will support his healthy eating crusade. They'll turn around and tell him to jog on because we don't need any nanny state interference.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

He probably thinks they're 'mixing it up a bit' and 'keeping it fresh' - like when you throw pasta into the air from behind your back instead of just putting it in the pot, except 9 times out of 10 you end up making a mess of the kitchen :iiaca:

He probably enjoys their approach to tax though, and they'll probably let him keep his immigrant workers since they're Doing A Job No Brit Is Willing To Do, so he'd be quids in.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

My big problem with UKIP and all their supporters I've come into contact with is their constant relation of themselves with the phantom 'other guy' who is oppressing their views by 'slinging mud' at them. For some reason the specific phrase 'mud slinging' comes up a lot, like they were all told the right words to use in a meeting or something.

I want you to tell me what you believe and back it up with good facts or reasoning. I don't particularly care that you aren't racist or that just as many people in other parties have racist views. Stop talking about political elitism! What do you stand for?!

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
In my experience the more someone feels the need to assure others that they aren't bigoted, the more they generally are.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

murphyslaw posted:

In my experience the more someone feels the need to assure others that they aren't bigoted, the more they generally are.

the old "I'm not racist, but..." formula.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah as a general rule if you have to say you're not racist, you probably are.

I think my favourite instance of racist weaseling was Nick Griffin on question time when he said he was strictly only involved with 'an almost entirely nonviolent chapter of the KKK'

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ddraig posted:

Yeah as a general rule if you have to say you're not racist, you probably are.

I think my favourite instance of racist weaseling was Nick Griffin on question time when he said he was strictly only involved with 'an almost entirely nonviolent chapter of the KKK'

Farage is on QT this week, apparently. :/ Couple of days of more of their prospects showing themselves up in public, with any luck.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

the old "I'm not racist, but..." formula.

Even better is farage doing the whole "but but but we can't be racist, I have black friends candidates!" recently.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
UKIP's "small & medium business spokesperson" is Pakistani, his website is an absolute delight

http://www.amjadbashir.co.uk

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tdrules posted:

UKIP's "small & medium business spokesperson" is Pakistani, his website is an absolute delight

quote:

As the son of immigrants, I was able to form my own business in the days when there were plenty of jobs. But things have changed, we now have to seriously restrict immigration to all but those that add value to our country.

a.k.a, FYGM.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That was a view echoed on Nick Robinson's 'tour of people who are anti-EU for some reason'. Magically everyone he interviewed was anti-immigration, even immigrants themselves who said that exact same line. It was ok when we did it, Britain needed us to work (there was no unemployment then y'see), but now there's just no room!

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

tdrules posted:

I like the part where he says "The EU are unelected" while running to be an MEP.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pulling up the ladder. Not really a surprise, unpleasant people come from all over.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Zero hours for all, or else

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

tdrules posted:

Yes, the number one worst thing about the EU is the Working Time Directive: which limits the working hours of an employee to 48 hours a week unless they opt out.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Hbomberguy posted:

My big problem with UKIP and all their supporters I've come into contact with is their constant relation of themselves with the phantom 'other guy' who is oppressing their views by 'slinging mud' at them. For some reason the specific phrase 'mud slinging' comes up a lot, like they were all told the right words to use in a meeting or something.

Given what they've been getting in the mail lately, mud-slinging is probably a mild euphemism! I wouldn't call it an elitist conspiracy but nonetheless I don't think it's controversial to say that there's an organised crowd who are dedicated to harassing UKIP over and above other parties.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 5, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

kapparomeo posted:

Given what they've been getting in the mail lately, mud-slinging is probably a mild euphemism! I wouldn't call it an elitist conspiracy but nonetheless I don't think it's controversial to say that there's an organised crowd who are dedicated to harassing UKIP over and above other parties.

That's not what mud-slinging means though

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I honestly would not be at all surprised if they repealed the minimum wage in the name of 'being competitive' or some shite.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

kapparomeo posted:

poor ukip, if only people could stop exposing their councillors/prospective elected ministers when they said racist/homophobic/ablist/xenophobic poo poo!

drat, its almost like some people have a problem with a hugely bigoted party with strong links to the BNP and other fringe nazi scum, including the literal blackshirts of "britain first"! HOW DARE THEY

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

I honestly would not be at all surprised if they repealed the minimum wage in the name of 'being competitive' or some shite.

They can't repeal the minimum wage officially, so instead I imagine they'll pull some other poo poo like extending apprenticeships to people up to the age of 35.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

poor ukip, if only people could stop exposing their councillors/prospective elected ministers when they said racist/homophobic/ablist/xenophobic poo poo!

Apparently, the candidate who was ditched for making those comments about Lenny Henry is - in addition to being racist - a misogynist and all-round 'vile person' according to someone who's had the misfortune of knowing him a while.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

kingturnip posted:

Apparently, the candidate who was ditched for making those comments about Lenny Henry is - in addition to being racist - a misogynist and all-round 'vile person' according to someone who's had the misfortune of knowing him a while.

Wow, look up "surprised" on the dulux colour chart, and douse me in it

You can borrow one from a ukip member, everything past magnolia is crossed out though

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Chocolate Teapot posted:

They can't repeal the minimum wage officially, so instead I imagine they'll pull some other poo poo like extending apprenticeships to people up to the age of 35.

Is there something (Euro directive?) that actually blocks government from doing this? Or do you mean can't as in it would be political suicide?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Is there something (Euro directive?) that actually blocks government from doing this? Or do you mean can't as in it would be political suicide?

I'm probably remembering incorrectly truth be told. Once upon a time I'd have said political suicide, but we're in an age where they could legalise mass executions of the poor for no reason and the LashLightnings of the country would be in there like a flash.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I was just going off the principle that a parliament cannot bind its successors - so if the government really wanted to get rid of the minimum wage, and had a majority of MPs, they absolutely could.

Of course as you've said, why would they when there are so many ways around it?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Didn't they already rabble rouse about dropping the minimum wage in the tabloids (standard water testing device) a few times before quietly dropping it?

**edit fucks sake that was bad english

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 6, 2014

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

HortonNash posted:

I guess I'm personally lucky in that because I have a condition that qualifies I have a medical exemption from prescription charges, otherwise it would probably cost a lot. My main prescription is a controlled substance though, so no online pharmacy for me if I didn't have the exemption. The other stuff, dressings and catheters are actually insanely expensive privately. I'm not entirely sure how the manufacturers justify the silly price of catheters.

The price of pharmaceuticals and drugs continues to amaze me. Take for example paracetamol. Cheapest are tablets you swallow, next most expensive is intravenous paracetamol ( in a large glass vial with a handy doo-dad you can use to hang it from a drip stand ) and the most expensive form of paracetamol is suppositories.

I cannot see how this works. Surely making a tablet and suppository should be a similar price- the inert base used for both must be a similar price. Unless glycerol is amazingly expensive. Surely manufacturing IV drugs with the glass involved and the more stringent needs for sterility would result in a higher price than something you could literally shove up your arse. But it does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Guardian posted:

Land Registry privatisation plans revealed in leaked document

Former chief land registrar and unions express concern about possibility of private firms having a say in granting of land rights

The Land Registry is headed towards privatisation, in a move which will give private firms a say in the granting of land rights, according to leaked minutes from a meeting of its board members.

Former executives from the body, that registers the ownership of land and property in England and Wales, say that a sell-off "beggars belief" because it will allow the private sector to adjudicate on what can be conflicting interests between sellers, buyers, lenders and neighbours.

Documents seen by the Guardian show that far from still considering public ownership of the 150-year-old body as a viable option – as ministers publicly claim – senior civil servants are deciding between a joint venture between the government and a private company, or letting a private company run it as a so-called Govco.

Michael Fallon, the business minister responsible, had stated that options would be put out for a public consultation before any decision was made – and this would include the option of retaining the Land Registry as an executive agency of government.

Conservative ministers are in favour of a joint venture, sources say. But the Guardian understands that Vince Cable, the business secretary, will block Tory moves towards a joint venture as he argues that the government must keep tighter control of any potential private sector partners.

The disclosures follow criticism over the Royal Mail sell-offand fears that the coalition is in a rush to privatise a number of assets.

Minutes show that civil servants believe the government could raise £1.225bn from entering a deal with a joint venture company, marginally higher than the £1.1bn GovCo evaluation and that the registry's board has appointed their head of legal services as a company secretary for a new venture but have not yet announced it.

John Manthorpe, the former chief land registrar, said that the minutes appeared to show that the board was going ahead with a policy of privatisation.

"Appointing a company secretary gives the game away that the consultation may be a sham. I am not aware of any government department having a company secretary. The registry board are thinking in company terms already.

"It is clear that the management board, which has negligible experience and understanding of land registration and its important role, are solely fixed on the privatisation of this important state asset without any regard to the practical, financial or legal consequences for the citizen and business," he said.

He said the government had recognised that the statutory powers of the Chief Land Registrar (CLR) could not be passed to the private sector and has therefore proposed a small "Office of the Chief Land Registrar", passing the major operational work where the legal decisions are made regarding land rights on every property transaction in England and Wales to a private company.

The minutes, on 10 pages of A4, were recorded at a four-hour board meeting on 25 March, days after an initial consultation on a new service delivery company had been closed.

The meeting was held in a hotel in Selsdon Park Hotel in Croydon, south London, away from Rregistry staff.

Ed Lester, its chief executive and former head of the Student Loans Company, whose tax arrangements were criticised for being paid through a service company, was also present.

Under the heading "business strategy", the board appeared to discuss a KPMG presentation on the possibility of a private sector partner. The minutes record how the capital return would be under three blocks and note that "NPV [net present value] equalling £1.225bn, marginally higher than the £1.1bn GovCO valuation".

The minutes also note that under option two – the joint venture company – there may be "insufficient risk transfer to the PSP [private sector partner]" as well as a "significant risk of industrial action."

But nowhere in the minutes does the board consider the possibility of keeping the body as an executive agency of government.

On 9 April, Fallon told parliament: "The proposals in the consultation on the introduction of a Land Registry service delivery company are being considered against the option of remaining as is, and no decisions will be taken until all responses have been considered."

Minutes show that the board congratulated legal corporate head Mike Westott Rudd for becoming company secretary at the registry, a new post created by the board. They show that Lester travelled with a colleague to Norway, a trip which cost more than £1,000, to meet representatives of Infoland, which is state-owned but is moving into a privatisation process. The minutes record that "it is possible that it could be easily transportable to the UK and we could use it to replace our portal".

Downing Street has expressed an interest in future Land Registry deals, the minutes show. "Norway are keen for us to global partner them. They are interested in Bangladesh, who have approached them, and No 10 want us to go to Tanzania", they disclose.

The Land Registry has a monopoly in the homeowner market as all property buyers have to use its services.

It made a surplus of £98.7m in 2012-13, up from £86.1m the previous year, while revenue slipped by 3% to £347m.

Critics have pointed out that when the original January consultation document was published, the government had not consulted the registry's principal professional customers: the Law Society, representing conveyancers, and the Council of Mortgage Lenders, representing banks and building societies.

Staff at the Land Registry are expected to announce a two-day strike over the potential privatisation after managers failed to give assurances over compulsory redundancies or office closures.

Mark Serwotka, the head of PCS union, said: "We are very concerned that, despite clear opposition from staff, lawyers and other professionals, the government is lining up the Land Registry for privatisation for purely political reasons."

A spokesman for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills said a decision would be made shortly on whether to privatise the registry and that all options remained under consideration.

"The company secretary role is in connection with the existing Land Registry board. It is a newly created position in order to meet recognised best practice on board governance.

"For years, Land Registry's remit has included sharing knowledge and expertise with other countries to develop effective land administration systems and processes," the spokesman said. "Ed Lester's visit to Norway was in relation to their digital property portal and has nothing to do with considerations around commercial models."

• Locked thread