Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

lordfrikk posted:

You can run straight from the bonfire that's after the Prowling Magus without getting hit, and pretty fast, too, even though it looks like a trek.

Yeah, the only enemy that's really a pain in the rear end to simply scoot by at maximum speed is the spider hollow by the ladder in the temple area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I wanted to make a dual Butcher's Knife gimmick build, but holy poo poo, that thing weights 22 units. That's more than the Gyrm Great Hammer which is a literal anvil strapped to the end of a pole.

And it's not even an Ultra-Greatsword.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are they units? I call them kilos.

I have absolutely no idea, I just call them units because it's general enough.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 5, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I wanted to make a dual Butcher's Knife gimmick build, but holy poo poo, that thing weights 22 units. That's more than the Gyrm Great Hammer which is a literal anvil strapped to the end of a pole.

And it's not even an Ultra-Greatsword.

Are they units? I call them kilos.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
They're probably equivalent to pounds. Most of the "real" weapons fit pretty well according to that model, being somewhere around 3-6 pounds. Even things like the largest Zweihanders weren't much more than about 10, nevermind 12 pounds. Something like 12 kilos would be insane, not that it is a realistic Zwei.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kiggles posted:

They're probably equivalent to pounds. Most of the "real" weapons fit pretty well according to that model, being somewhere around 3-6 pounds. Even things like the largest Zweihanders weren't much more than about 10, nevermind 12 pounds. Something like 12 kilos would be insane, not that it is a realistic Zwei.

And then, like mentioned, you have the Gyrm Great Hammer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls doesn't take place in real life so it probably doesn't refer to any form of weight measurement that actually exists.

"Oh man if all my gear combined weighs over 50 bajoobles I suddenly won't be able to roll as well. poo poo."

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
So I discovered something in Lost Bastille. Doing a running jump onto the barrel at the top of the stars above McDuff's workshop will fling you in the air down the stairs. Almost used it to get behind a guy and sneak up on him while invading, but I was laughing too hard and accidentally attacked. He heard my whips, and I think he killed me in the end.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Dammit all. I wanted dual scimitars (specifically because I like how they looked in comparison to falchions) and I got a metric TON the first time I went through No Man's Wharf. But, I sold all but one off to Gavlan. Now I go back there with ring and Jester hat and everything and none of these drat vikings will just give me a friggin' scimitar dammit.

Oh well. Least I did lots of productive bellbroing. Or not so productive. I'm sure one particular host was entertained when both phantoms showed up wearing desert sorceress skirts. :wiggle:

So, what bugs me still about PvP is the lag that causes weapons to seemingly have WAY more reach than they should. It's doubly irritating when I actually got into a few fights where everything was smooth, and seeing how cool it feels to narrowly dodge an attack -- makes the fight way more tense and fun. I wonder, if this is something that they can ever fix, or if we're pretty much always going to be at the mercy of our own connections to the DS2 server.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Metanaut posted:

Is there seriously not a bonfire anywhere near Freja? :arghfist: (I know the two which are almost on top of each other)

Warp to the one after magus, you can get to the 2nd area easily, and everything's pretty easy to kill on the way down except for the spiders that are hidden in the webs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it possible to get matching shields like those 2 fucks in the Undead Crypts? I got one of their shields and a gimmicky double shield build with them seems sorta fun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vintersorg posted:

Is it possible to get matching shields like those 2 fucks in the Undead Crypts? I got one of their shields and a gimmicky double shield build with them seems sorta fun.

Yep, you can get both of their shields from them.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
How much of a difference does Vitality make?

I really wanna fashion souls it up, but with just a light helm on, i'm at 45%. I've been basically naked the whole game through.

I do use 3 weapons (Halberd, Uchi, Dragonrider bow) so that's where most of my weight comes from.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've never really had any issue with VIT being around 15 or so. Unless you're trying to 40% roll in Havel's or something, only use as much as you're comfortable with. Other stuff's more important.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
Is there any particular reason that the region lock setting does nothing? I'm routinely getting matched against Europeans and Russians as a NA player.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

I really wanna fashion souls it up, but with just a light helm on, i'm at 45%. I've been basically naked the whole game through.

I do use 3 weapons (Halberd, Uchi, Dragonrider bow) so that's where most of my weight comes from.

VIT is as good as you need it to be and depends entirely on how light you want to remain. I personally try to stay around 50%, but some characters I'll hang around 70%. The big deal, to me, is dodge distance. If I'm below about 20% the long rolls gently caress me up. Less of an issue, but a big one in PvP is stamina regen, and I don't feel like I can attack and defend hanging close to 70%.

If you're trying to equip a lot of weapons, get some VIT, if not a lot. You CAN simply go no armor, but bristling with big weapons. If you don't like that, then get the VIT. Equip load bonus effects will have a greater effect with more VIT, so you can hit a bit of a threshold where all of a sudden it seems like you can't even get over 70% equipload when wearing something like 3rd dragoncrest ring and soldier's ring+2.

tl:dr Get VIT retroactively. Find what you want to equip. Decide what equipload % you want to get at. Level VIT accordingly.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 5, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Mazed posted:

Dammit all. I wanted dual scimitars (specifically because I like how they looked in comparison to falchions) and I got a metric TON the first time I went through No Man's Wharf. But, I sold all but one off to Gavlan. Now I go back there with ring and Jester hat and everything and none of these drat vikings will just give me a friggin' scimitar dammit.

Did you get the scimitar from the treasure stash in the bastille? From the first bonfire past the boat you took from the wharf, you can trigger the elevator to go down and dash out of it so you can ride the top of it. Should lead to a scimitar and a repair powder.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Fast roll isn't super important so long as you stay under 70% and get your AGI to 100.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's basically categorically better than the Bastard Sword or Claymore while having the same moveset. A straight upgrade, no point in using any of the other ones once you have it.

This isn't quite true unless I am forgetting something. The claymores strong attack is a thrust which I found to be absurdly useful against pretty much everything, give it a shot.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Did you get the scimitar from the treasure stash in the bastille? From the first bonfire past the boat you took from the wharf, you can trigger the elevator to go down and dash out of it so you can ride the top of it. Should lead to a scimitar and a repair powder.

I did, go figure.

Though this is a very good tip anyway and this playthrough was the first time I noticed that hidden stash.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I miss the "I'm in trouble - please recommend this message!" and "The true Dark Souls begins here" messages immensely :(

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey From: It's not nice that when I enter the Ruin sentinels area for the first time you drop me right next to one of them and I'm immediately crushed by a gigantic hammer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Red Mundus posted:

Interesting, doing a no shield, dodge-everything run and I just noticed that all the hollows in the FotG pivot while attacking even while you are rolling. No other enemy does this in the game that I'm aware of, not even bosses.

I know enemies will pivot while attacking when you're trying to circle behind them like in DS1 but dodging usually limits or stops pivoting. Not so for those hollows.

Pretty sure the fat hammer dudes in Harvest Valley do this for their big frontal smash attack as well as the giant mace knights in the Dragon Shrine. It's pretty awful!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Oh, So giants just have anuses for faces.

I thought the last giant looked like he did because he was a zombie and someone caved in his skull.

THINGS THAT NEED TO BE THINGS: When the looking glass knight summons a dude, instead of him quietly popping in from the side he should totally just ram through the knights shield like those mirrors in Alida's keep.

Unarmed or Caestus parry attacks should be an elbow-drop, Backstabs should be a piledriver, powerstance running attack should be Zangeif's double lariat.

Petrified players should leave a roll-throughable statue instead of a blood puddle.

They seriously need to get rid of that stupid loving side room in doors of pharros where the enemy can camp in perfect safety till the timer wears off.

Bring back dragon transformation instead of 'turn your armor into cool looking but actually pretty useless armor you can't remove'

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Just finished my first run of the game, and now I'm looking to respec into some sort of magic dude. I've never played a magic character in a souls game, so I have no idea what I'm doing here. Can anyone recommend a Hex build? I'm SL 154, so I got quite a lot of points to work with, and I haven't entered NG+ yet, so I can go find any gear or whatever, I just don't really know where to begin!

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I started off as a swordsman and currently have 16 dex and 20 str. Would I be in trouble if I wanted to move more towards a cleric/knight build? I was thinking sword/board and some miracles. I'm only level 18. I am guessing that I didn't waste any stat points because there must be some decent weapons with stat requirements higher than 20/16. Would I be better off rerolling as a knight or cleric, or it shouldn't matter?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Unarmed or Caestus parry attacks should be an elbow-drop, Backstabs should be a piledriver, powerstance running attack should be Zangeif's double lariat.

God, if only.

Though the backstab should actually be a German suplex.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mazed posted:

God, if only.

Though the backstab should actually be a German suplex.

A good idea.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Powerstance regular fists should also be a thing anyone can do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Scags posted:

I started off as a swordsman and currently have 16 dex and 20 str. Would I be in trouble if I wanted to move more towards a cleric/knight build? I was thinking sword/board and some miracles. I'm only level 18. I am guessing that I didn't waste any stat points because there must be some decent weapons with stat requirements higher than 20/16. Would I be better off rerolling as a knight or cleric, or it shouldn't matter?

You can do whatever you want. There's no gimped builds, unless you do something silly like ATT while never using spells. And even then, I would just recommend pyromancy.

And you can restat yourself up to six times per game using a consumable, so go semi-crazy.

e: My current run is a dex heavy build (I started as a swordsman), but I ended up with a classic sword and board build anyway. Just instead of a greatsword, I have a rapier.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

THINGS THAT NEED TO BE THINGS: When the looking glass knight summons a dude, instead of him quietly popping in from the side he should totally just ram through the knights shield like those mirrors in Alida's keep.

What, like this?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So after a long run of dragon dueling on the iron bridge, I noticed I had 80 dragon scales so I figure I might as well try playing the brotherhood of blood for duels, that shouldn't be so different, right?

First summon, I end up in a 1vs3 against several white phantoms
Second, another 1vs3
Then a 1vs2
Then a 1vs1 where the host ran and used estus 10 or so times while I'm disallowed the use of any healing items, despite it not being an invasion.
Then a infinite HP hacker
Several more 1vs3 fights where the white phantoms are disguised.
1vs2 where they both start chaos storm as I'm being summoned in.
Then another infinite HP hacker, this one I managed to dunk into the lava.
Then the SAME infinite HP hacker, only this time he got a white phantom mage to help him, because infinite HP wasn't enough the last time.
Occasional dark spirit duel setup by one guy standing off to the side and summoning.
Then finally a 1vs3 where I made the mage host panic dodge into a lava pit while his phantoms wail on me.

Why doesn't the red soapstone work like the dragon remnants?
Was hoping to maybe get a rank in the brotherhood, but everytime I get summoned into a 1vs3 and lose that sets me back 1 win, ended up losing twice as much compared to dragon duels because I can't use healing items or have a guaranteed 1vs1.

I guess I just won't bother with iron bridge duels with red soapstone.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Mazed posted:

I did, go figure.

Though this is a very good tip anyway and this playthrough was the first time I noticed that hidden stash.

Phooey. What's your soul level, then? I could pass you my scimitar. None of my characters use dex so far, so its yours if we're in range. Hit me up at my steam profile.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fashion souls dump?

Fashion souls dump!

I really hope I don't get banned for usin' GeDoSato/DSFix2!

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Red soapstone is poo poo doesn't count toward BoB rank anway. The duel statues are enforced 1v1 with estus allowed for both, but it seems to have very loose matchmaking so be prepared to fight dudes in full havel dual wielding great hammers and throwing sunlight spears. Red Eye Orb invasions are counted separate from duels, so you can use duels to get those without worrying about losing points.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ice Fist posted:

Hey From: It's not nice that when I enter the Ruin sentinels area for the first time you drop me right next to one of them and I'm immediately crushed by a gigantic hammer.

From aren't nice people.

I was on my second try through the memory with the draenglic captain who gives you a helmet to make you leave him alone. My first visit had ended abruptly in a giant clusterfuck, so I ignored the captain and reached for the door intending to rush through. The door was suddenly gone. It shattered just like my lifebar as the first giant on the level decided it was one-shot o'clock. :smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haha goddamn Covetous Demon you even more of a busta' than I thought:

Weakness: Above the arena are pots with undead in them. Break them with a projectile and the corpses will drop. The Covetous Demon will completely ignore you and focus on eating the corpses. While eating, he takes less damage, but will not aggro on you at all. You need to use heavy bolts/iron arrows for this. Wood just won't cut it.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
What is the PC death count up to?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Holy poo poo the Royal Rat Authority is ridiculous as gently caress. Finding out that he was optional was more ridiculous.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
People do seem to like ganking on red soapstone summons much more than in DS1 but it doesn't really matter much since there is literally no penalty for losing. Just consider them a good oppoturnity to practise fighting multiple opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Holy poo poo, awesome.

It never did that for me, they just spawned off to the side like 'myeh'