Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Aren't they both HTTP servers that conform to the Servlet spec that all the web frameworks use? Why does it matter which one you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is JBoss? I never figured that one out. I thought it was just a server or something, and then one day in the hall I ran into the lead UI designer for JBoss. So I'm just confused about what it is.

jboss AS is/was a j2ee implementation and app server, like websphere or weblogic.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
OK. Why does it have a UI that needs designing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

i'm trying to convince my boss to replace tomcat with glassfish because i find myself pulling more and more j2ee ri libs into my projects and it seems a little silly to keep going down the path of essentially building our own j2ee app server instead of just using one off the shelf

glassfish is probably dead. oracle owns three or four j2ee implementations, so gf has never been stategic the way it was for sun. glassfish support contracts are no longer sold. the open source project is likely to go under.

edit: bundling random j2ee libs fir use w/ tomcat or your own jetty aint the worst thing you could do

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 5, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK. Why does it have a UI that needs designing

admin panels

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What do you admin in the panel? It's just an HTTP server, right?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Aren't they both HTTP servers that conform to the Servlet spec that all the web frameworks use? Why does it matter which one you use?

yes.

every app server complies with the servlet spec, but they add more stuff. ferinstance, clustering and load balancing.

w/ tomcat, a dumb serlet container, i can go from a WAR file to a working listener on 8080. w/ websphere, i can upload a WAR and have WS configure a load blanced HA pool of listeners

(you probably dont really need or want any of this)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

i never really "got" j2ee like what was that all about

j2ee is a collection of JSRs. JSRs are like RFCs for java. ex: HttpServlets are defined in a JSR. So a J2ee server is a server that contains implementations of every JSR specified by that j2ee version. No one anywhere on the planet has ever needed every jsr in j2ee. ever.

jboss server (and websphere, etc...) is a j2ee implementation (meaning it has implementations of all those jsrs). the first thing you learn about jboss is that the standard configuration should never be used and you should strip out all the components you aren't using. the second thing you learn is to not use jboss.

tomcat and jetty are both servlet containers. servlet containers are a subset of j2ee and contain only what is needed to host servlets. you can pack a war and deploy it to the container and it will unpack and deploy and run it. it makes your servlet/war independent of the underlying container. both tomcat and jetty have simple standalone packages and both can be embedded into a larger application (ex: jboss uses tomcat). pretty much everyone uses servlet containers and probably 90% of people using jboss are using it from the built in tomcat instance and some included-by-default libs that the devs don't realize belong in their application and not the runtime. So use tomcat or jetty and either grab the packages from the official webzones or use maven to get the embedded instances automatically. don't ever use a tomcat from a package manager cause those packages are always hosed up by people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

jboss server (and websphere, etc...) is a j2ee implementation (meaning it has implementations of all those jsrs). the first thing you learn about jboss is that the standard configuration should never be used and you should strip out all the components you aren't using. the second thing you learn is to not use jboss.

[...]

pretty much everyone uses servlet containers and probably 90% of people using jboss are using it from the built in tomcat instance and some included-by-default libs that the devs don't realize belong in their application and not the runtime. So use tomcat or jetty and either grab the packages from the official webzones or use maven to get the embedded instances automatically.

shaggar was right

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
who cares, heil hitler, smoke weed every day

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr Dog posted:

Which of these is clearer?

var x = new Dictionary(false, true);

or

var x = new Dictionary(SortOrder.ASCENDING, DictionaryComparison.CASE_INSENSITIVE);

?

(to give a particularly contrived example)

x = Dictionary(sort_ascending=True, case_insensitive=True)

posting from two weeks ago

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

j2ee is a collection of JSRs. JSRs are like RFCs for java. ex: HttpServlets are defined in a JSR. So a J2ee server is a server that contains implementations of every JSR specified by that j2ee version. No one anywhere on the planet has ever needed every jsr in j2ee. ever.

tomcat and jetty are both servlet containers. servlet containers are a subset of j2ee and contain only what is needed to host servlets. you can pack a war and deploy it to the container and it will unpack and deploy and run it. it makes your servlet/war independent of the underlying container. both tomcat and jetty have simple standalone packages and both can be embedded into a larger application (ex: jboss uses tomcat). pretty much everyone uses servlet containers and probably 90% of people using jboss are using it from the built in tomcat instance and some included-by-default libs that the devs don't realize belong in their application and not the runtime. So use tomcat or jetty and either grab the packages from the official webzones or use maven to get the embedded instances automatically. don't ever use a tomcat from a package manager cause those packages are always hosed up by people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

write once, run anywhere

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
write once, run away

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Soricidus posted:

write once, run away

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Damiya posted:

But how do I optimize a play framework app running on heroku which only has 1 gig of memory.

platform as a service 1gb tyool 2014 :(

OTOH: Heroku offers ephemeral instances (they get rebooted every 24h or so?) and you use many of them. This is more or less cool for the stateless web tier part of things, and I'm kind of amazed people need multiple gigabytes of memory for that. That all depends on how many requests a second and the kind of work you expect to do on each instance I guess.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Damiya posted:

But how do I optimize a play framework app running on heroku which only has 1 gig of memory.

platform as a service 1gb tyool 2014 :(

kinda wondering what you need 1gb for, luxury

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Rails people used to require like 500mb for one or two requests at a time and it made me angry, I'm just hoping Play is kind of nicer than this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"platform as a service" is the new name for "shared hosting", right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zombywuf posted:

write once, run anywhere

lol

you have to try really, really hard to write platform specific java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

"platform as a service" is the new name for "shared hosting", right?

no. shared hosting is "heres a vm have fun janitoring it." paas is "heres an application server, deploy ur app on it and don't worry about whats underneath it"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

OTOH: Heroku offers ephemeral instances (they get rebooted every 24h or so?) and you use many of them. This is more or less cool for the stateless web tier part of things, and I'm kind of amazed people need multiple gigabytes of memory for that. That all depends on how many requests a second and the kind of work you expect to do on each instance I guess.

lol @ heroku

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought Heroku was a PaaS.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heroku is a bad paas cause it tries to run every platform at once with the worlds worst load balancing system ever imagined. or atleast that was the case a year or so ago.

if you want a real paas use azure or elastic beanstalk

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
But don't you get full VMs on Azure / Heroku? I didn't think they had an app server.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

write once, run away

sometimes i miss consulting

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
A bpmPaaS is a cloud-based platform to build, run, and manage business process applications that automate workflows and business processes within and across organizations. This platform can run on a public or private cloud.

Mobile PaaS is a set of services designed to simplify and accelerate development of enterprise applications that must support mobile device clients, like push notification, data encryption, and data synchronization.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Good to see that data encryption is a mobile-only feature.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
bpmPaaS is the most enterprise thing I've heard in all 20 years of my existence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

But don't you get full VMs on Azure / Heroku? I didn't think they had an app server.

azure and amazon provide everything. base vms, base vms with preconfigured popular app servers like tomcat, and platform as a service containers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heroku was a gross as hell mess last I saw but idk, maybe they've become untraded or maybe the retardation was limited to their ruby stuff

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ah, so they're both an IaaS and a PaaS. Is the app server on Azure / Heroku custom-developed? What kinds of apps does it support? Is there a standard protocol for communication between apps and their app servers?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shaggar posted:

heroku was a gross as hell mess last I saw but idk, maybe they've become untraded or maybe the retardation was limited to their ruby stuff

shaggar... wrote ruby??

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on azure its a custom .net container. you install some templates in vs for each component type that can run in the container and then you can also run the code locally in a local instance of the container. it works pretty easy. then you can just deploy it right to azure when ur ready. the components are wrappers around traditional .net projects like mvc web app projects or webapi web service projects, but then there are also azure specific projects that let you do stuff like data persistence or whatever.

for elastic beanstalk they do kind of the same thing for tomcat I guess. I've only ever read about it, never used it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeetable posted:

shaggar... wrote ruby??

lol no. I read the thread about how terrible rapegenius's ruby performance was on heroku that uncovered how incredibly awful their hosting system was.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

rapegenius

Get out.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Suspicious Dish posted:

bpmPaaS is the most enterprise thing I've heard in all 20 years of my existence.

I hope Red Hat makes money off of enterprise OpenShift, because poo poo like this legitimately scares people away from OpenShift Online.

FIHGT W HUBBY
Aug 16, 2009

Shaggar posted:

lol no. I read the thread about how terrible rapegenius's ruby performance was on heroku that uncovered how incredibly awful their hosting system was.

It's cool that heroku hosed up their load balancing specifically to accommodate nodejs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

if the bpm is business process management then yeah

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

more like dICK posted:

I hope Red Hat makes money off of enterprise OpenShift, because poo poo like this legitimately scares people away from OpenShift Online.

We have a product called CloudForms. What do you think it does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i use azures paas and it suits my needs very well. super easy to use. i right-click an mvc project in vs and hit deploy to azure or w/e and now my site is at goatfartbutt.azurewebsites.net. if i feel like putting in another 30 seconds of effort, now its at mydomain.mobi