Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Operant posted:

Holy poo poo the Royal Rat Authority is ridiculous as gently caress.

Bring a greatshield and he becomes a super-tense but satisfying fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I killed the rat authority after giving up and coming back later with firestorm to kill all the dogs in one cast.

gently caress those dogs.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah without those rats poisoning you the fight is pretty easy to sword and board. Still was pretty nuts though, which was nice after Drainglaic and Amana just being frustrating, boring areas with bosses that were simply pitiful by comparison.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I'm 90% certain the answer is no, but is there any way for this guy to reach me? He tried throwing magic urns or something but I block most of the damage (and he missed most of them so :v:)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Can someone post some :words: on how to do well in duels/PVP in general? I'm running a dual Katana build, which has worked well so far, but now that I'm getting into the higher soul memories, I'm hitting some walls that I can't seem to break. I'm not sure whether what they're using is too good, or what I'm doing isn't good enough.

Namely, hexers are the biggest thing that I can't seem to stop. I can roll through their spells fine, but I have no way to punish them once I get close because they'll immediately roll after each cast. I tried using a shortbow to attempt to poison one of them, but the poison never caught, and I couldn't really hang at a range. Obviously Greater Resonant Soul needs a nerf, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to punish these guys? I don't want to just throw my hands up and say "Well, that's hexes."

Halberds, Caestuses (Caesti?), and pretty much anything with a thrust attack seems to hit me no matter where I move or roll. I feel like there's something that I'm missing here. Am I relying too much on rolling? Should I start learning how to parry? Do I need to break out a shield and go sword and board instead? I'd have to switch to another weapon entirely in that case. I can post a video of some duels later tonight when I get home.

My current stat build: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3300321172133209701/8D7876DC69FF088A9193385DE2B627F1BB2D2B28/

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Question about mundane. Will it confer the scaling bonus to all elements on the weapon at the same rate? For example, Heide Knight Sword: will it receive the same bonus to physical and lightning?

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

JAssassin posted:

Can someone post some :words: on how to do well in duels/PVP in general? I'm running a dual Katana build, which has worked well so far, but now that I'm getting into the higher soul memories, I'm hitting some walls that I can't seem to break. I'm not sure whether what they're using is too good, or what I'm doing isn't good enough.

Namely, hexers are the biggest thing that I can't seem to stop. I can roll through their spells fine, but I have no way to punish them once I get close because they'll immediately roll after each cast. I tried using a shortbow to attempt to poison one of them, but the poison never caught, and I couldn't really hang at a range. Obviously Greater Resonant Soul needs a nerf, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to punish these guys? I don't want to just throw my hands up and say "Well, that's hexes."

Halberds, Caestuses (Caesti?), and pretty much anything with a thrust attack seems to hit me no matter where I move or roll. I feel like there's something that I'm missing here. Am I relying too much on rolling? Should I start learning how to parry? Do I need to break out a shield and go sword and board instead? I'd have to switch to another weapon entirely in that case. I can post a video of some duels later tonight when I get home.

My current stat build: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3300321172133209701/8D7876DC69FF088A9193385DE2B627F1BB2D2B28/

In my experience, the sprint-R1 Katana attack doesn't care about rolls, it will follow right the way through most of the time.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I'm a ~~~qt sorceress babe~~~

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dreggon posted:

I'm 90% certain the answer is no, but is there any way for this guy to reach me? He tried throwing magic urns or something but I block most of the damage (and he missed most of them so :v:)

Probably not, I assume that's Brighstone Cove Tseldora which is kind of dumb invasion-wise because there's no way to backtrack from the bottom of the level and it's entirely possible to end up there while the host is out of reach above.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JAssassin posted:

On that note - tell me how to fight as hexxer. Everyone just dodges my spells and my +10 dark mace aint gonna do too much poo poo to these people.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

JAssassin posted:

You know they are going to roll, so let them. Dodge toward them through their spell, hold the button, let them roll, and use your katana sprinting attack punish them on the next roll. If they roll twice, then next time, keep sprinting into them until they roll twice. Continue as many times as necessary until they run out of stamina. Fighting casters is a joke unless they have some sort of strategy for punishing people who roll into them through spells. Hexers in my experience do not have said strategies.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I have a question as a hexer, too. I've been using the sunset staff for both hexes and sorceries, and thats been fine, but now that I have infusions unlocked I'm worried that going dark with the staff will make my sorcery suffer too much. What's a good sorcery staff that isn't the end-game one found right before the final stretch of the game?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I have a question as a hexer, too. I've been using the sunset staff for both hexes and sorceries, and thats been fine, but now that I have infusions unlocked I'm worried that going dark with the staff will make my sorcery suffer too much. What's a good sorcery staff that isn't the end-game one found right before the final stretch of the game?

Assuming you haven't hit the second half of the game yet, you only really have two options:
Archdrake Staff - Buy it from the hex vendor on the way to copse for 4k souls - leans towards magic instead of dark, B magic scaling
Lizard Staff - Farm it from the casters in Undead Purgatory (yes, during the boss fight - good news, they never despawn!) - even magic/dark but A magic scaling

The next upgrade is the Staff of Amana which is a drop from casters in the Shrine, which is the best until you hit Dragon Shrine and can get a pure-sorcery staff that's better.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 5, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
How does poison work in this game?

Specifically, once I poison someone and they begin taking damage, what happens when I hit them with more poison? Does it extend the length of the poison? More damage? Or nothing at all?

A poisoned ricard's rapier is hilarious in PvP. If you manage to hit them R2, they'll probably be poisoned and they always start running away, where you poke them more. I don't know if I should switch to a different weapon to do more damage, or keep poking them with more poison though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Renegret posted:

Specifically, once I poison someone and they begin taking damage, what happens when I hit them with more poison? Does it extend the length of the poison? More damage? Or nothing at all?

A poisoned ricard's rapier is hilarious in PvP. If you manage to hit them R2, they'll probably be poisoned and they always start running away, where you poke them more. I don't know if I should switch to a different weapon to do more damage, or keep poking them with more poison though.

Nothing happens if you hit a poisoned person with more poison. When I used a poison Ricard's Rapier, I always switched to a non-poison weapon to deal more damage to them after the poison set in.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Renegret posted:

I personally perfer the spotted whip, so much that I asthetic'd and got two just so I could power stance, It's loving fun using the spider silk and the spotted, Lower your sheild? Get punished, Raise it? Stabbin' right through that poo poo. Roll away? More poison whip, the thing hits from the next area code.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

On that note - tell me how to fight as hexxer. Everyone just dodges my spells and my +10 dark mace aint gonna do too much poo poo to these people.

Cast resonant weapon on that mace and enjoy doing double the damage that a strength build would do.

Also put a curved sword in an offhand slot. Someone upthread said they had a huge parry window, and indeed they do. Completely trivializes people with daggers and similar fast weapons.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Since it's bugging me, does anyone else see that the Pursuer is totally a parody of the US Dark Souls 1 cover?

An super stocky knight armor guy one handing an ultra greatsword with that pose:

Plus the weapon backpack he's got for whatever reason is totally reminiscent of player characters.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Wow, I just cleared out the Gulch, minus beating the boss, and went to the pit in Majus. Now I don't know if I should use the sunset staff, or the witchtree branch, or wait for something else. I haven't upgraded anything yet, because I haven't wanted to waste titanite. Any suggestions?

Edit: I just noticed that a similar question was asked above; assuming I want to use my staff mainly for sorcery, but also want GSR, I take it I shouldn't be upgrading yet at all?

Edit 2: Did I read about something that could act as both a stave and a chime at once? I'd like to use spells/hexes/miracles, but I'm really slow at switching between them during battle. I had actually thought that was the witchtree branch, but apparently it can't do that.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 5, 2014

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Wanna see what it looks like when homeboy doesn't know he's walking into the Smelter Demon fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wwFRNyRaw&t=85s

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Renegret posted:

Depends on your build. I run dual daggers, one poison infused, the other normal, so when I get poison I just let it tick, and keep myself at a safe, but 'engaged' distance. This forces them to either go offensive, in which case I just backstep a bit using my stamina for defense, letting the poison handle my offense. If they try to run, I should be close enough to let my normal dagger backstab damage nearly ohko most people from full health, the poison just helps give me the opportunity. Wins by poison:crits are probably 50:50, so neither is more or less effective than the other, but they definitely compliment eachother.

I just have to watch out for jesters/gowers. Haven't decided how I'll handle them, but I may resort to consumables. I'll have to look into it whenever anyone actually uses the drat things. So far haven't actually encountered ANY, which I've found peculiar, if however extremely fortunate.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You can stack 'toxin' and poison too, they're apparently two different status effects for some loving reason instead of just "poisoned" and "more poisoned"

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Motherfucker posted:

You can stack 'toxin' and poison too, they're apparently two different status effects for some loving reason

What's the difference? :raise:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kaldaris posted:

What's the difference? :raise:

Toxin hurts more and stacks with poison.

Theoretically for maximum DOTS one could stack bleed, poison and toxin

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Fereydun posted:

Since it's bugging me, does anyone else see that the Pursuer is totally a parody of the US Dark Souls 1 cover?

Not really, no. Their similarities end at "are holding a sword and shield". I was under the impression that the cover art is depicting a guy walking (from behind), not someone doing a pose. The weapon backpack is supposed to be weapons the Pursuer has taken from Hollows he's hunted/killed, not a meta-commentary on "lol you can carry 50 swords!".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Motherfucker posted:

You can stack 'toxin' and poison too, they're apparently two different status effects for some loving reason instead of just "poisoned" and "more poisoned"
It made more sense in DS1 where poison was way, way less dangerous than toxic or even regular poison in DS2. Now that it basically chews through your health no matter what, I don't really see the point of having both either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So does agility not do anything to improve your roll past 100?

Motherfucker posted:

Holy poo poo, awesome.

It never did that for me, they just spawned off to the side like 'myeh'

That's because he only does that when he spawns NPCs; you got actual human invaders in your fight! I don't know why human players don't crash out of the mirror, but it probably has to do with loading issues. Everytime I got loaded into the Mirror Knight fight my character would be running up against a wall, so there are probably a bunch of issues with being summoned mid battle.

Cardiovorax posted:

It made more sense in DS1 where poison was way, way less dangerous than toxic or even regular poison in DS2. Now that it basically chews through your health no matter what, I don't really see the point of having both either.

Yeah is there even anything that actually causes toxic damage? I would assume toxic mist does but that's a player spell. I can't recall anytime I got hit with toxic by an enemy.

VVV Trophies

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 5, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I do have to wonder why the pursuer carries so many loving axes and junk.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

That's because he only does that when he spawns NPCs; you got actual human invaders in your fight! I don't know why human players don't crash out of the mirror, but it probably has to do with loading issues. Everytime I got loaded into the Mirror Knight fight my character would be running up against a wall, so there are probably a bunch of issues with being summoned mid battle.

Agility caps at 120 for iframes from what I've heard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fereydun posted:

An super stocky knight armor guy one handing an ultra greatsword with that pose:

Plus the weapon backpack he's got for whatever reason is totally reminiscent of player characters.

According to a wiki the devs mentioned that he's also an Armored Core reference. Particularly in how a helicopter giant crow drops him off, then he poses and starts to hover.

quote:

Hexers in my experience do not have said strategies.

As a spellcaster, in pvp I'm generally hosed if the other guy has an idea of what spells I'll use and knows how to dodge them, and a fire longsword or morningstar won't outdamage their greatswords or melee builds. Great Resonant Soul can only get you so far until they dodge to the left. Fire whip helps until they get enough poise to not get stunned long enough to get their attack in. It's actually really nicely balanced in that they're high damage spells, but easy to figure out. You need to be clever with them. For some reason though I can't manage to dodge homing soulmass myself, even though everyone else acan.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 5, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah is there even anything that actually causes toxic damage? I would assume toxic mist does but that's a player spell. I can't recall anytime I got hit with toxic by an enemy.

VVV Trophies

toxic mist does indeed, I think a few of the trashmobs later on also do miniscule toxic damage.

Also: when the pursuer curses you, he goes all black eyed and smokey. Is this in some way tied to his range attack I've only ever been hit with once?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Here is a serious tip:

Looking to level up Sunbro ASAP? Tired of waiting as long as 2-3 minutes for a summon in front of Covetous Demon or Myrtha? Don't want to deal with the constant host deaths at Smelter Demon?

Backtrack just a little bit to the Skeleton Kings. Assuming you've killed the 2 cave necromancers, it's an easy stroll from Undead Lockup and you get summoned INSTANTLY. I went from 3 sunlight medals to 30 in 2 hours...it's the first time I've just sat in front of one boss that many times, but I've found the instant summoning to be consistent at that boss across several different characters at various levels in NG and NG+. People ALWAYS want a summon there. The only thing you have to watch out for is the situation where the host doesn't realize that killing all three of the Skeleton Kings at once is not an optimal strategy.

Here is a serious question:

I've seen it posted that Bellboys can get summoned from anywhere, as long as they are wearing the ring...however, I've only been summoned when standing at the servants' quarters bonfire or the room below it, and I've never seen the covenant sign in the upper left HUD so much as flicker anywhere else in the game. Do people actually really get summoned FROM anywhere? Standing around that bonfire just waiting has gotten pretty tedious.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Internet Kraken posted:

The rats at the Doors of Pharros do toxic.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

You can stack 'toxin' and poison too, they're apparently two different status effects for some loving reason
It is for that reason, especially PvE. Poison is pretty good alone in either, but stacked and the damage ticks really fast. You're pretty much looking at half of most bosses' health in about 1 minute, and in PvP, poison them, let them heal, and toxin them. Push to pressure with more poison build-up, if no poisoning them again. Once you get he effects stacked, they're basically hosed. Not a bad counter for gowers/jesters on a poison build. I'm just not sure how to help get toxin to "stick". Are there any other sources, other than toxic mist?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Here is a serious question:

I've seen it posted that Bellboys can get summoned from anywhere, as long as they are wearing the ring...however, I've only been summoned when standing at the servants' quarters bonfire or the room below it, and I've never seen the covenant sign in the upper left HUD so much as flicker anywhere else in the game. Do people actually really get summoned FROM anywhere? Standing around that bonfire just waiting has gotten pretty tedious.

I got summoned once in Forest of Fallen Giants and Heide's. It seems to prefer people in the Lost Bastille though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You can get summoned from almost anywhere, yes. Whether or not you actually will get summoned is another story.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I wish there was a way to see how much status effect build up I've done on someone. I have duel bleeding manikin claws (the only difference it made was changing the dex scaling from c to d, so I'm not too worried about it) and I can lay into people but somehow they never get bleed effected.

On the other hand, its super loving effective at mind games because people will try to stay away while the bar is up, and it lets be be supper aggro to feed into their fear.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Backtrack just a little bit to the Skeleton Kings. Assuming you've killed the 2 cave necromancers, it's an easy stroll from Undead Lockup and you get summoned INSTANTLY. I went from 3 sunlight medals to 30 in 2 hours.

I was doing this earlier, too. I got 9 medals in about 30-40 minutes, maybe, and then I decided to take a break. I only had one host die, I think because he killed the staff Lord first and ignored the wheels until he got beaten to death. Almost nobody seems to die, especially with help, though honestly I'm not much help (using mostly soul arrows). I should go back there now with some fireballs.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

On the other hand, its super loving effective at mind games because people will try to stay away while the bar is up, and it lets be be supper aggro to feed into their fear.

That's enough of an indicator. I run like a girl every time I see some meter pop up after I get hit by an invader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Operant posted:

Holy poo poo the Royal Rat Authority is ridiculous as gently caress. Finding out that he was optional was more ridiculous.

What? He's even easier than the wolf in Dark Souls. Just get under him and he can't do jack poo poo.