Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Angela Christine posted:

When making your own republic, is it better to use one of your spare kinsmen or a stranger as the starting mayor? With a kinsman you get the same dynasty + to help set off the wrong government - but is there any particular downside?

Aside from the vague possibility of them coming with claims to your titles, which is the same risk that you get with any kinsman you land? No. I always make my distant kinsmen into patrician republics to offset the government penalty. It also helps to give them a few gifts of start-up cash so they can keep winning those elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Hmm, I'm not sure if this a common thing or not, but in order for my Persian empress to vassalise the Immortals to get their troops hired on the cheap, I gave the leader of the Immortals the duchy of Tabriz and the holdings in it, and the grandmaster took ill and died, except that instead of the title passing to his successor in the order, instead the title of being head of the order passed to me.

So now I have access to a Holy Order which has literally no cost, and no monthly cost either. It's 10000 troops completely free.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You need 4 military organization to avoid the pagan defensive attrition, not 3.

Also I think the Jomsvikings thing is because they're a holy order, and "Pagan" is technically all one religious group, so what they're doing is refusing to fight people of their own religion. It doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense realistically, because of the fact that "Pagan" is a much wider umbrella than the other religious groups, but that's probably what's happening mechanically.

drat, thought it was 3. Oh well, my mistake. Still, seems odd that they have a token 'battle' and retreat, giving the Slavs etc. war score. I could have sworn they just used to refuse to fight but at least stick around in the area. That's what confused me.

Thanks buddy!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

If they have the ambition to become that particular councilor they get +1 to that stat and an additional +20 relations. (Although they never pick the right stat :argh:)

Yeah its like that "I want to be a lion tamer" Monty Python skit. Some nerd with 16 stewardship and 3 intrigue petitioning the king to be spymaster.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's probably a good idea to keep an eye on your heir's councilor ambitions to give them those stat boosts though.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Any editing of Defines.lua makes my game not start - even editing it back to the original doesn't fix it! :(

I'm having to reinstall. What am i doing wrong? i just want infinite ruler designer points!!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Any editing of Defines.lua makes my game not start - even editing it back to the original doesn't fix it! :(

I'm having to reinstall. What am i doing wrong? i just want infinite ruler designer points!!
Try editing in Notepad++. There's some specific encoding thing which makes saving via notepad just make it all hiccup. Don't think it used to be like that, but that's how it is now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to contribute to HRE vassals in Italy declaring independence? It's about 1110, I've formed the Kingdom of Sicily and the HRE controls almost everything north of my territory. Maybe 15-20 years ago Tuscany formed and I was pretty excited about that because I can deal with them a lot more easily, but the HRE swallowed them back up pretty quickly. I'm kind of at a loss for where to expand.

On a related note, is there any way to tell beforehand roughly how many troops a given country is going to be able to levy? I've started forming alliances with the other big players in Europe - France, Poland, Castille, and Hungary - in the hopes of maybe putting together some sort of anti-HRE coalition. The problem is that I have no idea what kind of numbers these guys can field, even if I do manage to get them to all fight by my side.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to contribute to HRE vassals in Italy declaring independence? It's about 1110, I've formed the Kingdom of Sicily and the HRE controls almost everything north of my territory. Maybe 15-20 years ago Tuscany formed and I was pretty excited about that because I can deal with them a lot more easily, but the HRE swallowed them back up pretty quickly. I'm kind of at a loss for where to expand.

On a related note, is there any way to tell beforehand roughly how many troops a given country is going to be able to levy? I've started forming alliances with the other big players in Europe - France, Poland, Castille, and Hungary - in the hopes of maybe putting together some sort of anti-HRE coalition. The problem is that I have no idea what kind of numbers these guys can field, even if I do manage to get them to all fight by my side.

Have you considered undermining the HRE from within? By joining the HRE, you'll be able to join/create independence factions and declare war on independent vassals.

Bold Robot posted:

At the top-left of a character page, there'll be a realm tree button that shows the maximum/current levies of the character and each of his/her vassals.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Have you considered undermining the HRE from within? By joining the HRE, you'll be able to join/create independence factions and declare war on independent vassals.

How do I join the HRE? I don't see any diplomatic option when speaking to the Emperor.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a particularly good way to get yourself killed in the Game of Thrones mod, akin to sending assassins after the Pope until he counter-assassinates in the base game? I just downloaded it so I'm pretty new. I wanted to take Rhaegar Targaryen and win Robert's Rebellion with him, but even though Robert was killed a few weeks into the war (by Jon Connington, of all people) the war is continuing under Stannis and Aerys has wiped out our armies with a bunch of bonehead moves and we're set to lose the war. I'm thinking of trying again as Aerys and just getting myself killed after winning the war so I can take over as Rhaegar, but I don't know the best way to do that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bold Robot posted:

How do I join the HRE? I don't see any diplomatic option when speaking to the Emperor.

Sweat fealty under the diplomatic options, same as you would for any higher-rank ruler.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Very Important HRE Tip:

Right click on a message and select "show in log only" to make the "COUNT FUCKOLINI THINKS DUKE TURDHEIM IS A SWELL DUDE & SHOULD BE EMPEROR" and "DUKE SMELLYALATER HAS JOINED THE 'FREE THE TWINS' FACTION" spam stop.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Is there a particularly good way to get yourself killed in the Game of Thrones mod, akin to sending assassins after the Pope until he counter-assassinates in the base game? I just downloaded it so I'm pretty new. I wanted to take Rhaegar Targaryen and win Robert's Rebellion with him, but even though Robert was killed a few weeks into the war (by Jon Connington, of all people) the war is continuing under Stannis and Aerys has wiped out our armies with a bunch of bonehead moves and we're set to lose the war. I'm thinking of trying again as Aerys and just getting myself killed after winning the war so I can take over as Rhaegar, but I don't know the best way to do that.

Have you tried getting readers to like you? That usually works.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

You could convert to Drowned God and go reaving. You usually end up maimed and killed by some poo poo castellan. It is worth it though: as Balon at the Robert's Rebellion start, I decided to try for independence. To do this, I sent my army to King's Landing, which I captured, along with most of the Targs, including Rheagar. He escaped, so I drowned them all, but it didn't matter: I had to white peace out, and then I got killed reaving. My son takes over, and I need money, so I go to Casterly Rock, and who do I capture but Lady Paramount Cersei Lannister? She can't pay the gold price, though, so I made her my salt wife.

Drowned God is Best God.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You know, it still bugs me that you don't get valid execution reasons for basically anything. You have to figure that, historically, being caught murdering the king's son or attempting to kill him or shtupping his wife would be a one-way ticket to the chopping block, but in the game, it only lets you imprison them, at best. And sometimes not even that - I'm pretty sure I had to eat some tyranny to imprison the guy who killed my daughter. Or granddaughter, maybe. Some close relation.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

StashAugustine posted:

Sweat fealty under the diplomatic options, same as you would for any higher-rank ruler.

As a king, you cannot swear fealty to an Emperor who is not your de jure liege. That's why he can't see the option.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Angela Christine posted:

When making your own republic, is it better to use one of your spare kinsmen or a stranger as the starting mayor? With a kinsman you get the same dynasty + to help set off the wrong government - but is there any particular downside?

that bonus to relations won't always be there because they wont always win elections. Also be careful that your chosen heir might end up in line to succeed the republic and that will remove him from the line of succession. I had that happen to me once on one of my Supermen and I had to eat a tyranny penalty to remove the republic.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

You know, it still bugs me that you don't get valid execution reasons for basically anything. You have to figure that, historically, being caught murdering the king's son or attempting to kill him or shtupping his wife would be a one-way ticket to the chopping block, but in the game, it only lets you imprison them, at best. And sometimes not even that - I'm pretty sure I had to eat some tyranny to imprison the guy who killed my daughter. Or granddaughter, maybe. Some close relation.

Yeah, it's silly what you can't do sometimes. And then sometimes the game decides you can do whatever you like to a person; I was able to lock up my brother-husband without tyranny for ages after I had him end his plot to kill me, and eventually did so when I caught him plotting it again. Likewise, with rebel leaders I've been able to punish them after arresting them, then arrest them again, though that may have been a bug since you don't manually arrest them the first time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The worst is when some dude keeps killing your spymasters, and then when you find him to scope him out it turns out he's some loser in the court of one of your barons. And you can't do anything to him legally.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 5, 2014

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Strudel Man posted:

This bothers me alot aswell. I would love to blind, castrate and imprison untill they die of old age every single person that kills or plots to kill close family. If I had modding experience I would've made a mod just for that. The game isn't giving you enough ways for revenge. :(

A torture DLC would be something I'd really like. With new execution methods like cutting people's feet/hands of for thievery during regencies for example. Or killing illegal children created by your spouse in front of their eyes to make them go insane. Thought that was a common punishment in old China.

CK2 really gets the worst out of me.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dutchfool posted:

This bothers me alot aswell. I would love to blind, castrate and imprison untill they die of old age every single person that kills or plots to kill close family. If I had modding experience I would've made a mod just for that. The game isn't giving you enough ways for revenge. :(

A torture DLC would be something I'd really like. With new execution methods like cutting people's feet/hands of for thievery during regencies for example. Or killing illegal children created by your spouse in front of their eyes to make them go insane. Thought that was a common punishment in old China.

CK2 really gets the worst out of me.

You're free to abuse and execute your vassals already, it's just that your landed vassals won't appreciate you openly and publicly shedding that much noble blood for what ultimately amounts to personal reasons. Those who carry out purges are rarely liked. If you want to kill the assassin, send someone to stick a knife in their back or ambush him on the road; that was the way of things. If whoever's court your son ends up at decides to formally execute him, I'll bet you're going to like that person a little less too.

The thing about a torture DLC is that there's no reason for it to be added to CKII other than to give people opportunities to be creepy fucks. Seriously, murdering babies in front of their parents as a form of torture? I don't feel like that's a thing that would really add to the CKII experience!

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 5, 2014

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

I know, forgot to add that I just want it to be possible to do these things without getting unrealistic penalties.

And about the torture DLC I don't know. I've got alot of hours into these games and such a DLC would've made me happy quite a few times. You really start to hate certain dynasties sometimes, in my case atleast. :3: And a bit of flavour while shrinking their family line is always nice, I think. When the game is kind of a history simulator, it's got to simulate the ugly parts of history aswell.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

You're free to abuse and execute your vassals already, it's just that your landed vassals won't appreciate you openly and publicly shedding that much noble blood for what ultimately amounts to personal reasons. Those who carry out purges are rarely liked. If you want to kill the assassin, send someone to stick a knife in their back or ambush him on the road; that was the way of things. If whoever's court your son ends up at decides to formally execute him, I'll bet you're going to like that person a little less too.

The thing about a torture DLC is that there's no reason for it to be added to CKII other than to give people opportunities to be creepy fucks. Seriously, murdering babies in front of their parents as a form of torture? I don't feel like that's a thing that would really add to the CKII experience!

I agree with most of this, but this doesn't address the "not allowed to kill someone who tried to kill your child" kind of thing. Like, that's arguably even more a valid reason to be able to execute them than them trying to kill you is, since taking out your heir(s) will end your line and all that, and is usually a move to steal the throne for themselves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dutchfool posted:

I know, forgot to add that I just want it to be possible to do these things without getting unrealistic penalties.

It already is possible to do it without unrealistic penalties. What you want is to be able to do it whenever you like.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Fianlly have some free time to play this seriously after buying it in some Steam sale or other. I have a couple of questions, though:

- Regarding handing out land to your nobles. I've read a lot of theories, how you should search your realm for someone of your dinasty without any claim, giev a duchy to your heir, etc. I've found the easiest way to avoid revolutions is to give a single county to a random courtier from house Lowborn (those without dinastic shield in the character finder) and assign the corresponding duchy to one of them, along with his de iure vassals. Am I missing something if I don't care about dinasty score?

- Can I get a son out of sucession by giving him/her a temple to rule? IIRC that trick worked in previous versions/CK1. gently caress role playing until I can get out of gavelkind, at least.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Jedit posted:

It already is possible to do it without unrealistic penalties. What you want is to be able to do it whenever you like.

Currently, when you know about a plot to kill close family to you, you will only get an imprison reason. But wouldn't the plotter(s) in real life have been imprisoned, only to be tortured and killed later? That as far as I know happened pretty often in early medieval times. Of course the family of the tortured/killed person will hate you, but the kings had a "valid" reason to do so and the vassals accepted it. The game doesn't reflect this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fat Samurai posted:

Fianlly have some free time to play this seriously after buying it in some Steam sale or other. I have a couple of questions, though:

- Regarding handing out land to your nobles. I've read a lot of theories, how you should search your realm for someone of your dinasty without any claim, giev a duchy to your heir, etc. I've found the easiest way to avoid revolutions is to give a single county to a random courtier from house Lowborn (those without dinastic shield in the character finder) and assign the corresponding duchy to one of them, along with his de iure vassals. Am I missing something if I don't care about dinasty score?

- Can I get a son out of sucession by giving him/her a temple to rule? IIRC that trick worked in previous versions/CK1. gently caress role playing until I can get out of gavelkind, at least.

1. Dynasty score increases the prestige of newborns of your family. If half the world is ruled by your kin, your children will start with loads of prestige, which means they get a big opinion bonus once they inherit. And if all the elector titles in your elective monarchy are held by your family, your titles will be save from going to some other person. But doing it like you do is a good idea as well, I find giving all titles to family members boring.

2. If you have free investiture as a Catholic you can disinherit your younger sons by nominating them for a bishopric, or you can just give them a church under papal investiture if you capture/build one. Again, this doesn't work with your eldest son, and it doesn't work if you are not a Christian.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think it's a good idea to land a few relatives at least, to have some backup branches of the family around in case something catastrophic happens to the main line. Additionally, since all members of the same dynasty are allied, if a bunch of your dukes are all your dynasty they'll band together to fight holy wars and such and can do some impressive expansion on their own. Of course this usually creates super-dukes so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pellisworth posted:

I think it's a good idea to land a few relatives at least, to have some backup branches of the family around in case something catastrophic happens to the main line. Additionally, since all members of the same dynasty are allied, if a bunch of your dukes are all your dynasty they'll band together to fight holy wars and such and can do some impressive expansion on their own. Of course this usually creates super-dukes so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

I admit I have the worst case of pretty-borders-syndrome, but I absolutely do not want any of my vassals going holy warring. I also roleplay the game, and consciously don't expand in certain directions. Besides, I then have to break up the super-dukes.

But yeah, landing a few family members is important, if only as a backup plan. Just don't go overboard with it. I also had one case where I landed more of my dynasty than usual, where one ambitious family member outside my de jure kingdom decided to start a independence faction and got nearly all of my family to support him. That was no fun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Torrannor posted:

I admit I have the worst case of pretty-borders-syndrome, but I absolutely do not want any of my vassals going holy warring.

This. My dukes will stay put until I tell them not to, dammit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rincewind posted:

I don't think I've ever had that ambition line up with a council appointment. :v:

I've had some spymasters who started out that way. The trick is to sort the character finder by high intrigue first, and look for guys who want to be spymaster, rather than the other way around.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Question about handing out duchies. As the King of Sicily, I hold the two duchies that I can hold without my vassals bitching at me (as well as a handful of counties). The rest of my vassals are all counts directly under me. I have about 4 duchies that I could create but haven't. I know that creating them would give me prestige, but I'm not super concerned about that, I have plenty. Is there some reason I'm missing that I should create these duchies and set up my kingdom as king --> duke --> count instead of (mostly ) king --> count?

The reason I'm holding off on creating and handing out the duchies is twofold. First, I know that whoever I hand the duchies out to will get a huge relations boost, so I'm waiting until I really need to improve relations with my vassals. Right now everyone likes me well enough, so the relations boost would be mostly wasted. Second, I want to keep my vassals weak and reduce opportunities for scheming. I also haven't needed to create or usurp a duchy to get a de jure claim on a county yet.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, first I tried reboots, then reinstalls, then finally rollback. I have a lovely 6 year old computer with 3GBs of RAM running windows 8, lots of games just go "LOL, no" and refuse to work at all. This was at least launching, but every time it tried to save there was alike 50/50 chance it would just freeze up and collapse. This way will do until I get around to getting a new machine.

Have you tried not using Windows 8?

I'm currently using a machine less powerful to play CK2 with RoI, but I'm doing so on Ubuntu Linux.
If you've got spare space on your hard-drive, you can shrink a partition and install along-side, but if you regularly run out of disk space, I'd recommend buying a new drive.

You can then install Steam, then CK2, and it should work.
It is possible to share your game data between Windows and Linux, but it doesn't sound like it would be of much use to you anyway, given

Issues with Crusader Kings II on Linux:

• There is no official launcher, so if you want to disable DLC or select mods, you either need an unofficial launcher, or to pass the -mod=mod/MyMod.mod command line options to Crusader Kings II in the "Set launch options" menu.
  • You get better performance with the proprietary AMD/Nvidia drivers than the defaults shipped with Ubuntu. The Proprietary drivers aren't shipped with Ubuntu for legal reasons, so the Open Source drivers are shipped by default, as they usually work well enough for most work applications, but Games have tougher requirements.
  • Some mods won't work, as they are written on Windows, assuming case-insensitive file names and backslashes as path separators. Paradox presumably don't have a translation layer, since it has a performance impact, the Linux user-base is a minority that may not justify the extra work, and it is possible to fix in the broken mods.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bold Robot posted:

Question about handing out duchies. As the King of Sicily, I hold the two duchies that I can hold without my vassals bitching at me (as well as a handful of counties). The rest of my vassals are all counts directly under me. I have about 4 duchies that I could create but haven't. I know that creating them would give me prestige, but I'm not super concerned about that, I have plenty. Is there some reason I'm missing that I should create these duchies and set up my kingdom as king --> duke --> count instead of (mostly ) king --> count?

The reason I'm holding off on creating and handing out the duchies is twofold. First, I know that whoever I hand the duchies out to will get a huge relations boost, so I'm waiting until I really need to improve relations with my vassals. Right now everyone likes me well enough, so the relations boost would be mostly wasted. Second, I want to keep my vassals weak and reduce opportunities for scheming. I also haven't needed to create or usurp a duchy to get a de jure claim on a county yet.

It's less guys to keep happy, concentrated levies (although it might not be in issue in just Sicily), and Dukes get their own tech points. That said, if your King is well loved you might want to save gold and create the titles after he dies and your heir takes over - instant prestige boost and some happy Dukes help get your reign off to a good start. Sometimes it's fun to kill factions lead by a count by just making a Duke over him: Bonus prestige, happy Duke, and your lovely faction-starting vassal is someone else's problem :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

As far as I know the only reason to hand out vassal duchies (or Kingdoms) is managerial. It will mean fewer vassals to deal with and fewer vassal levy stacks you have to round up when you go to war. Sicily is a fairly small Kingdom so it's probably not much hassle to operate with only count vassals. As you continue to expand, though, at some point you'll want to start creating Duchies. It's much easier to manage 5 Duke vassals than 20 Count vassals.

Some players like to use King vassals, it's a double-edged sword. Vassal Kings are powerful enough to put down revolts on their own and make the number of vassals you have to manage even fewer in huge huge empires. However, they get a -25 relations penalty with you so they're unhappier than other vassals and would like to be independent.

Really it's mostly about striking a balance between strength of vassals relative to you and the number you have to manage.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

We had this discussion earlier, but dukes are the lowest-tier rulers who generate techpoints. If you only have counts, your realm is going to be mostly a backwater and have less troops and gold and worse troops. I do like to occasionally hold duchies I could create in reserve to give out when I have a new shaky ruler or a regency that needs propping up, but there's nothing wrong with holding off on creating duchies for awhile. If you rule a small kingdom (like Sicily) it might be worth your while to keep all your vassals as counts. Once you expand a bit though dukes are probably a good option to ensure you keep on-par technologically.

In addition, being able to assign away lovely vassals (who hate you for whatever reason) under a vassal duke is really useful, and can help you change inheritance law when you need to. I'm pretty sure having vassal dukes lowers your net prestige (a vassal duke is worth two vassal counts in terms of prestige generated), so really there's no reason to give away duchies unless you absolutely have to. However, duchies are significantly easier to manage which counts for a lot when your empire gets big.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Pellisworth posted:

Additionally, since all members of the same dynasty are allied, if a bunch of your dukes are all your dynasty they'll band together to fight holy wars and such and can do some impressive expansion on their own.

On the other hand, they're also all allied if one of them decides to rebel against you.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

We had this discussion earlier, but dukes are the lowest-tier rulers who generate techpoints. If you only have counts, your realm is going to be mostly a backwater and have less troops and gold and worse troops. I do like to occasionally hold duchies I could create in reserve to give out when I have a new shaky ruler or a regency that needs propping up, but there's nothing wrong with holding off on creating duchies for awhile. If you rule a small kingdom (like Sicily) it might be worth your while to keep all your vassals as counts. Once you expand a bit though dukes are probably a good option to ensure you keep on-par technologically.

In addition, being able to assign away lovely vassals (who hate you for whatever reason) under a vassal duke is really useful, and can help you change inheritance law when you need to. I'm pretty sure having vassal dukes lowers your net prestige (a vassal duke is worth two vassal counts in terms of prestige generated), so really there's no reason to give away duchies unless you absolutely have to. However, duchies are significantly easier to manage which counts for a lot when your empire gets big.

Mind you, you aren't really screwed because of lack of tech points if you build your empire wide since you can dominate by sheer numbers.

In a way it can even be a beneficial to keep your vassal holdings as shitholes, it's just one more way to keep them in line. Although I think they build more new holdings when they don't have the tech to spend money on the old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

grancheater posted:

On the other hand, they're also all allied if one of them decides to rebel against you.

I usually hand out a duchy or two to dynasty members, I generally don't care too much about the "unlanded son" penalty because Prestige is easy to get, but if I'm expanding and have extra sons I'll give them a single county in a newly conquered duchy or something.

• Locked thread