Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Yakattak posted:

I know the general opinion on prosport gauges but for someone who won't have the budget for Defis are they THAT bad and not worth it? I was thinking of adding a boost, oil pressure and something else.

I installed this Depo boost gauge last summer. As long as you toss the crappy tubing that comes with it, it works great, and even color matches the gauge pod.

Reading online people have a real dislike for digital sender units. According to most people, digital boost gauges tell you your PSI via carrier pigeon that you may or may not receive the following week. But for me it's instant. No lag at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yakattak posted:

I know the general opinion on prosport gauges but for someone who won't have the budget for Defis are they THAT bad and not worth it? I was thinking of adding a boost, oil pressure and something else.

I use them, they're very accurate but suffer from poor visibility of the needle when it's sunny out. You should get an oil temp for your 3rd gauge.

e: Agree with the above poster. I had an external boost sensor when I was getting my car dyno'd and it was exactly the same readings as the prosports.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

VelociBacon posted:

I use them, they're very accurate but suffer from poor visibility of the needle when it's sunny out. You should get an oil temp for your 3rd gauge.

e: Agree with the above poster. I had an external boost sensor when I was getting my car dyno'd and it was exactly the same readings as the prosports.

I assume oil temp and oil pressure can't be read from the same spot? I was thinking of using that spot below the alternator near the "EJ20" I think it's where the stock pressure sensor is.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Where are you guys mounting these gauges? Steering column, A-pillar?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There is another spot just like that straight back on the other side of the manifold. You need another galley plug and maybe an adapter of some sort depending on the thread pitch of your sender.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yakattak posted:

I assume oil temp and oil pressure can't be read from the same spot? I was thinking of using that spot below the alternator near the "EJ20" I think it's where the stock pressure sensor is.

Thats where I put my oil temp sender yeah. Theres another spot back on the block in the rear gallery, it's just under the TMIC, where you can mount your other sensor. I don't think you can use the same spot for both.

E: You do need a plug thing that gives you the pitch thread for the sender. I have it written down somewhere but can't find it right now. You can order it from subaru.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 5, 2014

si
Apr 26, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

I use one of these: http://gaugetek.wix.com/vbg1

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Whoa that is neat as hell.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

There is another spot just like that straight back on the other side of the manifold. You need another galley plug and maybe an adapter of some sort depending on the thread pitch of your sender.

Rear passenger side galley plug kit:

http://prosportgauges.com/remote-oil-pressure-sender-installation-kit.aspx

Use whatever gauge you want prosport or not.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I've seen Killer B recommend using an oil temp sender in the drain plug, measures the temp in the pan and is easier to install.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

BoyBlunder posted:

I was going to use an ATI gauge pod. I hate pillar pods. Steering column was a possibility but not for 3 gauges.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yakattak posted:

I was going to use an ATI gauge pod. I hate pillar pods. Steering column was a possibility but not for 3 gauges.

I use the ATI think that goes in the middle of the dash. I have boost gauge, Oil pressure (hooked up where the dummy sensor goes) and Oil temp (hooked up under the intercooler). I used AEM gauges and the OEM galley plug 11024AA210 for the sending units. At first I tried an adaptor for the sensor threads, because AEM gauges use a 1/8 NPT pitch and Subaru part is threaded 1/8 BSPT. I decided I didn't like the adaptor because of clearance issues, so I bought a 1/8 NPT tap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K1LZ76/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 Bux. No need to even drill a hole in the galley plug, just tapped it the depth of the sensor threads and that was that.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

si posted:

I use one of these:

Wow. I like that. I may have to get one of those.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Love my vent boost gauge as well. Looks stock in the Legacy, colors match great and it can be configured many different ways. Well worth it!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I used both the ATi center pod where the clock went, and the one that puts two gauges around the instrument panel.

I had boost and oil pressure around the instrument panel, then wide band, a clock, and oil temp.

Wide band was meh, it was always being noisy. I think that one should have gone in the glove box to hide it.
Oil temp is lame on a daily, it is really slow to react and always reads low. I put the sensor in the oil plug, but had to buy one as my drilling and tapping led to a nice oil leak all over my driveway. http://www.deerfieldprecision.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=34&osCsid=0af1ef8c5abd19d7f7c419c21a01ce74

Oil pressure was nice, I used the wrxtra kit that had a galley plug, and a hose so you could move the sender off the block. That was cool.

The clock was needed, but it was autometer, and the light was darker than the other z series gauges, so it never matched.

Doing it again, i would get the instrument cluster pod, do boost and oil pressure, and thats it.
If I wanted a wide band Id put it in the glove box so I only had to look at it if I needed it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I have mine mounted in the cubby above the clock in my Outback

Looks great, but stopped working for some reason. The needle just flashes now. No movement at all. Thats what I get for buying a cheap gauge I suppose.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
There is a dealer here with a 2014 WRX Hatch with 2700 miles on it selling for $26k + TTL....I've wanted a WRX since I was 16 years old....talk me out of this,

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

There is a dealer here with a 2014 WRX Hatch with 2700 miles on it selling for $26k + TTL....I've wanted a WRX since I was 16 years old....talk me out of this,

Link or PM me the exact specs and I'll tell you how to negotiate on this one. :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sab0921 posted:

....talk me out of this,

lol you came to the wrong forum for this

That said are you really set on the hatch or do you just want a WRX? Looking at Subaru's website you could get a 2015 for less than or the same price.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Link or PM me the exact specs and I'll tell you how to negotiate on this one. :getin:

http://www.gillmanauto.com/used/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Impreza+WRX-a3e18c7e0a0a00de7cdfb5fd38b2a43a.htm

Here is the car.

I am set on a hatch with regards to the WRX and I figure there will not be a new hatch for at least three years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What does Subaru have to meet fleet MPG average standards in the US? Or do they have to comply with that?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

http://www.gillmanauto.com/used/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Impreza+WRX-a3e18c7e0a0a00de7cdfb5fd38b2a43a.htm

Here is the car.

I am set on a hatch with regards to the WRX and I figure there will not be a new hatch for at least three years.

Working on answering your PM shortly to keep :words: out of this thread.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

Thanks. I even got my wife on board with the hatch. So much room for the dogs!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

Thanks. I even got my wife on board with the hatch. So much room for the dogs!

PM sent, my 2 75lb dogs fit in my Impreza very nicely, although they like the Outback more I think for the room it has. As I said in the PM, don't mention dogs though :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have mine mounted in the cubby above the clock in my Outback

Looks great, but stopped working for some reason. The needle just flashes now. No movement at all. Thats what I get for buying a cheap gauge I suppose.

All LGT/OBTs should have come with this istead of that useless cubby

edit: Holy crap, my steering wheel had so much less wear 6 years ago.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Are there any cheapish cat-back exhaust systems available for the NA 2.5? My Foresters exhaust is a little rotten in the back-half, figured I may as well get something that sounds a bit meaner than stock.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

Here is the car.

5 speed :(

Does the 6-speed WRX have the same throw shifter that the STi gets?

e: Definitely get a WRX hatch, even if it isn't this particular one!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Nope. It doesn't actually get the same transmission. It's pretty much a 5-speed with some extra length in the tailhousing to add another gear. Plus it is cable actuated. I drove one in a legacy gt and it felt fine, and better than a worn out linkage style shifter, but not as good as something with all the bushings re-done.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Totally TWISTED posted:

I don't think anybody would care if you posted advice on negotiating.

My strategy I employed (just yesterday) for negotiating on a car was to walk in with an 800+ credit score and be ready to walk away. Talked a 36.7k Genesis Coupe 3.8 (track edition) down to 28.5k. It was one of those glorious "sales guy running after us as we drove off" type moments.

The coupe was for my wife, I would never drive anything but my Subaru!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Linux Nazi posted:

I don't think anybody would care if you posted advice on negotiating.

My strategy I employed (just yesterday) for negotiating on a car was to walk in with an 800+ credit score and be ready to walk away. Talked a 36.7k Genesis Coupe 3.8 (track edition) down to 28.5k. It was one of those glorious "sales guy running after us as we drove off" type moments.

The coupe was for my wife, I would never drive anything but my Subaru!
Fuckin' a. My buddy has a 3.8T, and that's a sweet car.

Not as sweet as a Subaru, but still, great job.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Fuckin' a. My buddy has a 3.8T, and that's a sweet car.

Not as sweet as a Subaru, but still, great job.

This episode of This American Life was pretty eye opening, and I used this inside info to bully the sales guy down, letting him know he had us on the hook but we were willing to walk. He was a totally nice dude and I wasn't even slightly rude to him even once, since I know he had to play middle-man between the rear end in a top hat customer (us) and the rear end in a top hat sales manager.

He got a sale on the board, his second for the day, so I'm sure he was stoked. We got my wife her dream car (that she didn't know was her dream car til I made her test drive an assortment of sporty cars). Her second choice was a SWP BRZ, so we were almost a Subaru family.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Time to replace pads and rotors on my '07 WRX. Stoptech and whatever's cheap, respectively? Light drag strip days and possibly auto-x in their future.

Jamal you mentioned way back in the thread that you dislike the SPT intake and recommended a few other brands. If I decide to swap mine out for a better brand (the PO chose it, not me) is that something that would require a re-tune? If so I'll wait until a few years down the road when I make more significant changes to the car.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Centric premium rotors with stoptech pads are my go to.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Fifty Three posted:

Time to replace pads and rotors on my '07 WRX. Stoptech and whatever's cheap, respectively? Light drag strip days and possibly auto-x in their future.

Jamal you mentioned way back in the thread that you dislike the SPT intake and recommended a few other brands. If I decide to swap mine out for a better brand (the PO chose it, not me) is that something that would require a re-tune? If so I'll wait until a few years down the road when I make more significant changes to the car.

Cobb intakes on GDs don't require any tuning.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

Centric premium rotors with stoptech pads are my go to.

This forever, and if a caliper is sticking I can't recommend Centric reman'd ones enough, they are great quality for the price.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Terrible Robot posted:

This forever, and if a caliper is sticking I can't recommend Centric reman'd ones enough, they are great quality for the price.

I must be the last guy in New England that rebuilds calipers.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Just replaced the same wheel bearing that I replaced five thousand miles ago. Hopefully this one holds out a bit longer.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yakattak posted:

Cobb intakes on GDs don't require any tuning.
The car also has a 16G turbo, fuel pump, EBCS, TBE, and protune for all of the above on it so I'm wondering if those factor in. Sorry, should've mentioned those. :)

Thanks for the recommendations on rotors/pads. Might get 'em on this weekend. :getin:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm partial to the AEM intakes. You probably won't see a huge difference switching from the spt though and since the car is already tuned for what you have I would leave it.

I also really like the stoptech pad/centric rotor combo but I usually can't compete with amazon and rockauto etc pricing which is a little annoying.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

daslog posted:

I must be the last guy in New England that rebuilds calipers.

I've done my fair share of rebuilds. But then, after a weekend spent doing all four on the Celica in low 20f temps with no heat in the garage and getting mild frostbite on my fingers, I decided that remanufactured calipers I can just bolt on are totally worth the extra hit in the wallet.

Rebuilding calipers in the Great Salted North is just pure masochism.