Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?

Tongues posted:

Well I got in a fight this week during a game - was loving poo poo. I play as a defender, and an opposition striker was beaten to the ball by another defender and proceeded to completely lose his poo poo. The striker grabbed my teammate around the throat with both hands and started squeezing, so I ran in and pulled the guy off around the neck. He then turned and put me in a headlock, so I picked up his leg and dumped his fat poo poo on the ground. At this point I realized that I was being loving stupid and let go, just in time to get kicked in the back while on the ground by the opposition coach who'd decided he needed to run on. At this point the game has descended into general argy bargy and there's a bit of a rat pack around us wrestling on the ground.

Then the ref gave yellow cards to myself, the opposition striker, and a random defender on the other team who'd walked over after the brawl to see what the gently caress. Long story short, my back and shoulder blade is hosed from that kick, and we went on to lose.

Striker and I shook hands afterwards, apologized to each other. Coach is still a oval office however.

Jesus gently caress. What do you have to do in your league to get a red if trying to loving choke your opponent is only worth a yellow? What would he have done if no one had stopped him, loving choked your teammate to death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Jesus gently caress. What do you have to do in your league to get a red if trying to loving choke your opponent is only worth a yellow? What would he have done if no one had stopped him, loving choked your teammate to death?

There's good and bad refs, this one was particularly bad and we've since lodged a complaint with the governing body. If we had some footage I'd be going to the police as well, my shoulder is still hosed and I just tried a pushup and my back felt like it would explode.

Although once I did get a red card for handballing on the goal line, so it's not like the league is hosed at all :downs:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that's ridiculous to not be reds all round.

Does anyone play at Soccer City in Chicago?

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Tongues posted:

There's good and bad refs, this one was particularly bad and we've since lodged a complaint with the governing body. If we had some footage I'd be going to the police as well, my shoulder is still hosed and I just tried a pushup and my back felt like it would explode.

Although once I did get a red card for handballing on the goal line, so it's not like the league is hosed at all :downs:

Police won't do poo poo about a fight on the football pitch between grown men, sorry mate.

I took a loving brutal knee to the back by some idiot striker last week. Hurt like a bitch but I didn't really show it, just shook his hand and went back to the match. The next day though I could barely lift my left arm, I was crocked. Feeling much better though, thank god for being young and spry.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!
I played in a co-ed match yesterday and got an girl sent off for fouling the poo poo out of me multiple times. Felt like a big step towards equal rights on the pitch.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

blueyedevil posted:

Police won't do poo poo about a fight on the football pitch between grown men, sorry mate.
Big Dunc was charged with assault for headbutting someone.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

JFairfax posted:

yeah that's ridiculous to not be reds all round.

Does anyone play at Soccer City in Chicago?

You mean out in Palatine? No, but I've played in most of the leagues in the city itself.

http://www.chicagoindoorsports.com is the best indoor facility, with leagues organized by Chicago Sport and Social or Players Sports Group. CSAS runs the easier rec leagues and PSG is a bit more competitive. Both are shockingly disorganized considering the cost.

http://www.livetosupport.com is the best-run league in town, but some of the teams are stacked with recent DePaul grads (a Division 1 team).

I've never tried http://www.wcwfa.com, but apparently they offer training and leagues with promotion/relegation.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You probably have one of these pairs of football footwear, but would you recommend them?

http://www.lillywhites.com/adidas-goletto-iv-trx-fg-mens-football-boots-203224?colcode=20322430
http://www.lillywhites.com/adidas-nitrocharge-3-0-trx-fg-mens-football-boots-203164?colcode=20316418
http://www.lillywhites.com/adidas-f10-trx-fg-mens-football-boots-203029?colcode=20302947
http://www.lillywhites.com/adidas-questra-11pro-fg-mens-football-boots-203021?colcode=20302124
http://www.lillywhites.com/nike-total-90-strike-sg-mens-football-boots-191065?colcode=19106590
http://www.lillywhites.com/adidas-predito-lz-trx-fg-mens-football-boots-203010?colcode=20301006
http://www.lillywhites.com/adidas-f10-trx-fg-mens-football-boots-203141?colcode=20314108
http://www.lillywhites.com/nike-ctr-libretto-fg-mens-football-boots-201031?colcode=20103138

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!

I used to play in T90s and I loved them. Can you get them in the surface you'll be playing on? That's why I stopped using them, I couldn't get the turf ones.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Says you can remove the aluminium studs for playing on astro which seems a good idea but a bit fiddly

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!

Burqa King posted:

Says you can remove the aluminium studs for playing on astro which seems a good idea but a bit fiddly

Hrm that seems dodgy. I'd rather play in a dedicated turf shoe so my foot doesn't feel like I've been playing on a platform with nails sticking out the bottom.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What do you guys do for stiffness after a game when you have another game the day after

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mmasterbate.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Burqa King posted:

What do you guys do for stiffness after a game when you have another game the day after

Rub it out. No I don't mean Mmasterbate. Literally painfully rub the sore areas with hard balls(oh jesus) or a rolling pin, or get someone to give a deep painful massage to the areas.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Xbox One posted:

Hrm that seems dodgy. I'd rather play in a dedicated turf shoe so my foot doesn't feel like I've been playing on a platform with nails sticking out the bottom.

Turf boots are fairly inexpensive, too. I got my current pair of Nikes for 28 bucks on clearance somewhere online, and they're pretty comfortable

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!

Burqa King posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/massage-wor...words=hard+foam

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Champion-Sp...s=lacrosse+ball

Also I crank one out too, so I don't get too aggressive out there

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:

Burqa King posted:

Warming down really really helps

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainRightful posted:

You mean out in Palatine? No, but I've played in most of the leagues in the city itself.

http://www.chicagoindoorsports.com is the best indoor facility, with leagues organized by Chicago Sport and Social or Players Sports Group. CSAS runs the easier rec leagues and PSG is a bit more competitive. Both are shockingly disorganized considering the cost.

http://www.livetosupport.com is the best-run league in town, but some of the teams are stacked with recent DePaul grads (a Division 1 team).

I've never tried http://www.wcwfa.com, but apparently they offer training and leagues with promotion/relegation.

Thanks, yeah I went to the one out in Palatine.

Think I might join indoor league but I don't have a car yet so it might be a little tricky to get to them

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Played our first match of indoor today. Lost 10-3, everyone had a good time however and we will be practicing before our game next week.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Won our first match finally after 3 losses! There are some ridiculously good teams in this league and I'm just happy we wont go the whole season without a win!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing worse than playing well as a team and still losing. The opposing team yesterday had two girls who apparently played semi-pro, whatever that means.

One of them hit a knuckling low shot from the right side to the bottom left corner. I honestly didn't think it was possible to hit that angle, so I didn't even bother sticking a leg out. Later in the match, the other one toe-poked a ball that just curled around our keeper, it was like when an outfielder lazily fields a fly ball and whiffs at the last second.

My most annoying shortcoming is that when I come up on offense and get a pass across the goal from left to right, I find myself more often than not blowing the conversion and hitting it with my right foot wide to the right side of the goal. Is it just the direction of my plant foot? I've converted a few, but spraying the ball wide is insanely frustrating.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Nothing worse than playing well as a team and still losing. The opposing team yesterday had two girls who apparently played semi-pro, whatever that means.

One of them hit a knuckling low shot from the right side to the bottom left corner. I honestly didn't think it was possible to hit that angle, so I didn't even bother sticking a leg out. Later in the match, the other one toe-poked a ball that just curled around our keeper, it was like when an outfielder lazily fields a fly ball and whiffs at the last second.

My most annoying shortcoming is that when I come up on offense and get a pass across the goal from left to right, I find myself more often than not blowing the conversion and hitting it with my right foot wide to the right side of the goal. Is it just the direction of my plant foot? I've converted a few, but spraying the ball wide is insanely frustrating.

You're hitting across the ball, not through it. Try to turn your hips towards goal when you're striking the ball. Your hips are probably wide open at the right side of goal when you're hitting the ball so you're going to push it wide.

*golf analogy*

Open clubface at impact, the ball is going right even if you do everything else perfectly.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Was the girl's goal like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KPhqHyLl0

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheBigAristotle posted:

Point your whole body toward the goal, the more of you that faces in that direction the more likely you are to put it there. I do this a lot too so I should probably listen to my own advice.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

You're hitting across the ball, not through it. Try to turn your hips towards goal when you're striking the ball. Your hips are probably wide open at the right side of goal when you're hitting the ball so you're going to push it wide.

*golf analogy*

Open clubface at impact, the ball is going right even if you do everything else perfectly.

Our keeper was saying the same thing. I'm gonna have to start practicing that more often. I have a fade in my golf swing that I've been improving on the last few years, too ha

Placement and angle were similar, but it was a more traditional run-up and our keeper said it was knuckling. Fuckin ringers, these ladies

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Although I've been playing outdoor for a while now, it's been on turf fields. This weekend I subbed for a team that plays on grass (more than a third of which was just mud), so I had to buy new boots.

I went for the most garish ones in the store:

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!
I love playing on these for turf fields (indoor, outdoor 7s, even 11s) and they come in all sorts of Fully Sick garish colors if you look around. For ~$90 you get a really lightweight shoe with great feel that's also waterproof up front (your foot will probably still get soaked from the rear, but the feel holds up, which is incredible).

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Xbox One posted:

I love playing on these for turf fields (indoor, outdoor 7s, even 11s) and they come in all sorts of Fully Sick garish colors if you look around. For ~$90 you get a really lightweight shoe with great feel that's also waterproof up front (your foot will probably still get soaked from the rear, but the feel holds up, which is incredible).

I have these exact shoes and love them.

Haven't worn them on grass yet, but the pitch I play on on Sundays is so hard that my FG cleats are aggravating the hell out of my heel. Gonna try them next week.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm starting to somewhat resent my parents for not having any appreciation for/understanding of soccer when I was a kid, because I think I could have been really good at it instead of wasting my time being a defensive-whiz-slappy-singles-hitter in baseball. For someone who didn't play his first game until he was 30, I seem to be pulling off the goal of the match on the rare occasion I do score. I just have zero skills that others learn from years of running drills, so I'm running off of pure athletic instinct.

But hey, at least I'm really good at those milk jug carnival games :smith:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I started playing soccer just to spite my parents (fucktard republicans just wanted me to play lacrosse) so I can see where you're coming from. But hell, it's never too late to start learning, and no matter your age you'll keep improving by playing regularly until you're hitting first times into the upper 90

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Xbox One posted:

Ooh these are nice

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm starting to somewhat resent my parents for not having any appreciation for/understanding of soccer when I was a kid, because I think I could have been really good at it instead of wasting my time being a defensive-whiz-slappy-singles-hitter in baseball. For someone who didn't play his first game until he was 30, I seem to be pulling off the goal of the match on the rare occasion I do score. I just have zero skills that others learn from years of running drills, so I'm running off of pure athletic instinct.

But hey, at least I'm really good at those milk jug carnival games :smith:
Haha I've thought this as well. I was raised to play baseball and excelled at center-field. Chasing down balls and ruling the entire outfield; drilling line drives and small ball bullshit. In soccer I realized my technique is poo poo, but it'll improve over time. But I do feel like I have a good mental feel for the game, especially midfield, spacing, etc. thanks in some part to my experience in baseball. Soon enough I'll be hitting it from in the six into the upper 90 like all the pros. No but really, soccer rules and is fun as hell and it would have been great to play growing up instead of or at least in tandem with baseball.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 6, 2014

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I was at a pickup game yesterday. Jesus christ, forward is not the only way the ball goes, and if you can't dribble with your head up, just don't loving dribble man. Also, whats with people that don't pass to girls?

Nike just keepin it sexy :cool:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I have an 11 v 11 league starting up this summer. What do you guys think is the ideal squad size? We have unlimited subs, but we need 4 women on the field at all times.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eric Cantonese posted:

I have an 11 v 11 league starting up this summer. What do you guys think is the ideal squad size? We have unlimited subs, but we need 4 women on the field at all times.

It will never be enough.

I've played 11v11 for the last few years. The thing to remember is not everyone will be available every game.

A squad size on match day of 14 or 15 would be ideal I think - you don't want to chop and change too much in a full size game.

However you probably need around 25 people (minimum) signed on to play, and you'll probably use more as the season goes on. This is based on our league which is about 26 or 28 games a season. If yours is just a summer league it might be shorter I suppose.

You'll have a core first choice, but you won't be playing them every week. Are you managing the team? My best friend manages ours and it's a decent amount of work. He's pretty strict about if you miss a week you start on the bench. That is good for helping to get people to turn up every week. Apply it to everyone, even your 'star' players and it will help keep people happy. Tell them at the outset, and stick to it.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!
25 is way too much, figure 3 guy subs and 3 girl subs as the sweet spot, so 20 max if people are flakey. Maybe have 5 extra people who are definitely not on the team but might come out for a kickabout if you're short. 14-15 as a match day squad is just about right.

Horde and guard your girls like chattel. There is no resource as precious as decent and reliable ladies in a co-rec league. Once the girls stop showing up regularly it's game over.

Also, follow the code: http://deadspin.com/adult-kickball-team-email-please-dont-gently caress-your-teamma-1564098194

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

JFairfax posted:

It will never be enough.

I've played 11v11 for the last few years. The thing to remember is not everyone will be available every game.

A squad size on match day of 14 or 15 would be ideal I think - you don't want to chop and change too much in a full size game.

However you probably need around 25 people (minimum) signed on to play, and you'll probably use more as the season goes on. This is based on our league which is about 26 or 28 games a season. If yours is just a summer league it might be shorter I suppose.

You'll have a core first choice, but you won't be playing them every week. Are you managing the team? My best friend manages ours and it's a decent amount of work. He's pretty strict about if you miss a week you start on the bench. That is good for helping to get people to turn up every week. Apply it to everyone, even your 'star' players and it will help keep people happy. Tell them at the outset, and stick to it.

It'll be my 3rd season of of managing in this summer league. The first summer, we ended up having too many people, which I think worked against us in the final because we didn't have a cohesive style of play and I think people felt too obligated to sub out so everyone got equal playing time. It worked out last year, but it was a whole ton of angst and work trying to get everyone to show up and we lost a couple of games due (in large part) to lack of numbers. I was hoping there was a happy formula you guys had stumbled upon but it sounds like one of those problems with no magical solution.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Co-rec leagues are why America sucks at football

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ephex posted:

Also the NCAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!

ephex posted:

Yes, I freely admit that our past-it 25-35 year olds just can't hang with the likes of Spain and Germany's.