Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sindai posted:

DW8XLCE protip: the scripting for the star condition in Wu's Battle of Nanjun is broken and you can't do it as the guy who's the "bait" in the plan. The enemy commanders that are supposed to charge you never do. Fortunately it can still be done as the other commanders.

Hope this helps someone avoid all the frustration I just went through.

Similarly, there's a bug in Shu's invasion of Luoyang - Guan Xing never makes it to the armory. The only way to beat the stage is to play as him.

It's also really, really hard to get around the ship ballista in Wei's final hypothetical battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

OneDeadman posted:

I think I have timed out on exactly one mission in Dynasty Warriors, and I think that mission was one of either 3 or 4's Nanman Campaign maps because of the combination of being way young and getting way lost somehow.

I believe it's Dynasty Warriors 4, the Nanman campaign as Shu (but not Wu) takes forever and is frustrating as hell, because you're constantly losing morale due to the heat, and I have wiped quite a few times by them overrunning the main camp.

Anyway I broke down and bought Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for the Wii U since I figure we're probably not getting Ultimate here. :negative: I really wanted to play as those four new characters and see the new stuff. Fortunately even having played the original I'm having a blast playing it again and getting five new guys every time I beat a stage. I'm surprised that the slowdown doesn't seem all that bad (usually only happens when I do a triple attack) and the pop-in doesn't seem all that much worse than the original's either.

One quick question though, any new info on Hyrule Warriors? It's supposedly coming out this year and there's still just the one preview trailer for it, I figured since it's May we would have gotten at least SOME new info on it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twelve by Pies posted:

One quick question though, any new info on Hyrule Warriors? It's supposedly coming out this year and there's still just the one preview trailer for it, I figured since it's May we would have gotten at least SOME new info on it.

That usually means the game is poo poo and will be delayed or released as a mess.

People love to talk about how good their games are, silence is never good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway I broke down and bought Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for the Wii U since I figure we're probably not getting Ultimate here. :negative:

You know it showed up in the Australian classification database, right? I mean, it's not for sure, but relatively telling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

That usually means the game is poo poo and will be delayed or released as a mess.

People love to talk about how good their games are, silence is never good

The counterpoint here is that it is a Nintendo property and they barely talk about their games until right before they come out, even when they end up being really well received. If E3 comes and goes without anything more, yeah, that's bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Considering the fact that when they announced it the name wasn't even final, I doubt there's much to take away from its disappearance. I'd say they'd show it at E3, but most people would probably scoff at it anyway.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Maleketh posted:

Similarly, there's a bug in Shu's invasion of Luoyang - Guan Xing never makes it to the armory. The only way to beat the stage is to play as him.

It's also really, really hard to get around the ship ballista in Wei's final hypothetical battle.

He made it for me the one time I played the stage. It did take a while though.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Have they made any announcements regarding online multiplayer for DW8PC?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I haven't been keeping up with this thread in a while. has there been any news on Samurai Warrios 2 HD getting a release outside of Japan? (Europe in my case, but anywhere would be promising) There doesn't seem to be anything from googling but I'm still hopeful...

I've not played a Samurai Warriors game & I'm tempted to just go ahead and get it on the PSN Store as a PS2 classic...

Thanks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't count on it. Samurai Warriors 4 should be out later this year anyway.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

How does the DW8XLCE whatever PC port look to run? I've never played a PC version of a musou game, so I don't know how they compare to the console versions, how good the ports are, etc. Can you map stuff to a X-Box 360 or PS3 controller if you have the right hardware?

Also, I know this is a long shot but is there any word on the RTK franchise re: any Western release ever for the previous or upcoming version? I don't think I've played a version since RTK XI and I loved that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

How does the DW8XLCE whatever PC port look to run? I've never played a PC version of a musou game, so I don't know how they compare to the console versions, how good the ports are, etc. Can you map stuff to a X-Box 360 or PS3 controller if you have the right hardware?

Also, I know this is a long shot but is there any word on the RTK franchise re: any Western release ever for the previous or upcoming version? I don't think I've played a version since RTK XI and I loved that.

The last Dynasty Warriors to get a western PC release was 6 years ago, it's basically a crapshoot. And seconded on RotTK, I still have XI perma-installed.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

I wouldn't count on it. Samurai Warriors 4 should be out later this year anyway.
oh cool, thanks. think I'll wait then.

...though has there been any suggestion that SW4 will definitely get a western release?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

I played 6 and Orochi 1 on pc and both allow 360/other controller support. I wanna say 360 automapped for both of them too. They look better than the console versions but that's not all that impressive, still noticeable tho.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chewy Bitems posted:

oh cool, thanks. think I'll wait then.

...though has there been any suggestion that SW4 will definitely get a western release?

The later this year is for a western release, it's already out in Japan. There's no conformed date but Koei has said it's happening.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

DW8XLCE protip: the scripting for the star condition in Wu's Battle of Nanjun is broken and you can't do it as the guy who's the "bait" in the plan. The enemy commanders that are supposed to charge you never do. Fortunately it can still be done as the other commanders.

Hope this helps someone avoid all the frustration I just went through.

If it is the battle I am thinking of, I got around it by catching the attention of the officers, lead them back to the place you are supposed to engage them WITHOUT fighting them, then attack.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

The later this year is for a western release, it's already out in Japan. There's no conformed date but Koei has said it's happening.
oh deadly, cool. thanks for that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Unlucky7 posted:

If it is the battle I am thinking of, I got around it by catching the attention of the officers, lead them back to the place you are supposed to engage them WITHOUT fighting them, then attack.

That'd fit. We had to do similar things back in the day also. And it wasn't 'broken scripting' it was the whole point of the exercise. Lure them to the trigger point, then kill.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

About a week out from DW8CE on steam, have they announced steamworks multiplayer? Or anything related to the game at all?

Come on Koei don't be coy, pc gamers don't play this "no information until release" game :pcgaming:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's gone quiet, I'd assume because it was super early when they showed it, and also because a bunch of people made a stink about it being a "garbage repetitive DW game"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DW7 was in the steam cache for a while and never came out, just saying :q:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Unlucky7 posted:

That works for the second-to-last group, but unfortunately the last group is behind closed gates that never open.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

DW7 was in the steam cache for a while and never came out, just saying :q:

I don't think they ever planned to bring that one over here, it was for China and probably a couple other regions which did make it to steam.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway I broke down and bought Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for the Wii U

The Wii U version of Warriors Orochi 3 is not that bad. It does not suffer from lag but it does have a slight enemy vanish problem. Lucky for you the game is basically programed to keep important characters on the screen. So while there might be 200 enemy's and you can only see 100 of them, you'll always be able to see any main generals that are near by. I was able to gather about over seven generals on the screen at the same time so I think they programed it that way. Also the weak enemy's will show up quickly when the defeated ones vanish. It's basically the best way of handling this classic problem without fixing it.

If Hyrule Warriors becomes the next "Nintendo Test Game" cancellation I'm gonna be a very sad person.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The thing with WO3 Wii U is that it got patched pretty quickly that fixed all the major issues. As a plus, since it reviewed badly you can get it for less than $10 on Amazon.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I think the Fortune Hunter skill is also bugged in Complete Edition - after completing all four story and hypothetical routes I still don't even have it at level 1. This game needs a patch, and badly.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I'm playing regular DW8 on PS3 and can't seem to get ranks in Fortune Hunter either. How many KOs do you need to get? I've only gotten as high as 1100 or 1200 on certain levels.

Is there any benefit to getting all of the optional objectives in Story Mode? I've gotten the Historical and Hypothetical endings for Wei, but noticed that the last two battles on the historical path have star objectives that I haven't done. I was going to start on the Wu campaign next time, but should I go back and get those last two stars?

The only thing that seems to change is two people showing up at Fan Castle who wouldn't otherwise be there.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Quiet Python posted:

I'm playing regular DW8 on PS3 and can't seem to get ranks in Fortune Hunter either. How many KOs do you need to get? I've only gotten as high as 1100 or 1200 on certain levels.

I just got it on Wei's last XL stage - it looks like the threshold is 1500 KOs, which is completely ludicrous.

Quiet Python posted:

Is there any benefit to getting all of the optional objectives in Story Mode? I've gotten the Historical and Hypothetical endings for Wei, but noticed that the last two battles on the historical path have star objectives that I haven't done. I was going to start on the Wu campaign next time, but should I go back and get those last two stars?

The only thing that seems to change is two people showing up at Fan Castle who wouldn't otherwise be there.

A few of the post-split objectives unlock new levels, but otherwise there's no real need to do them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFseMlndR5w

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn still exists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Someone really loving wanted to use the Tron Legacy soundtrack.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Jesus, what an awful trailer. If they wanted to sell the game based on super-serious tense and dramatic storytelling, they missed by a mile.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Maleketh posted:

I just got it on Wei's last XL stage - it looks like the threshold is 1500 KOs, which is completely ludicrous.

In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't the most tedious skill to level.

The easiest way I found to level it was to do Dong Zhou's escape from Hu Lao Gate and smash mooks at the spawn point before Dian Wei. Once you hit 1500, save then go through the stage and reload if you don't get at least one level by the time Lu Bu shows up.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Been smashing folks to get 1000+ kills at hu lao hate since 2001 in dw2. So I finally got a PS3 and was looking at sengoku basara. I played the crap out of sw2 on 360 and total war shogun so I don't think I'd be too lost on who everyone is anime idiosycrasies aside; but looking at gameplay vids it looks like there's less mooks and a more devil may cry style combat system? The last dw game I played was next on vita and before that 5 on PS2 years ago. Would I be better served by getting orochi warriors 3 to scratch that itch if I have only played the first one (which was cool but very boring on the grind)?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

OxMan posted:

Been smashing folks to get 1000+ kills at hu lao hate since 2001 in dw2. So I finally got a PS3 and was looking at sengoku basara. I played the crap out of sw2 on 360 and total war shogun so I don't think I'd be too lost on who everyone is anime idiosycrasies aside; but looking at gameplay vids it looks like there's less mooks and a more devil may cry style combat system? The last dw game I played was next on vita and before that 5 on PS2 years ago. Would I be better served by getting orochi warriors 3 to scratch that itch if I have only played the first one (which was cool but very boring on the grind)?

Well, Sengoku Basara isn't a DW/SW game so that's probably the problem. I'd recommend DW7 if you're looking to get back into the series. DW8 is newer, but I think overall DW7 is better. Or wait until the 13th to get DW8XL Complete Super Edition on Steam for PC.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Orochi 3 fixes some of the grind issues from the previous game, but it still has some if you wanna unlock all the side missions. As for the Sengoku Basara game, they are kinda different from the regular SW style. There should still be a PS3 demo for it if you're interested in trying it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Wait, that's the exact same trailer they ran a month ago, just with a "PEGI TWELVE" in front of it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I use the war trident in dw8? It's not clear to me what element matches what strong attack

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Watch the head of the trident when you use the various strong attacks, they leave pretty distinct colored trails.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

How do I use the war trident in dw8? It's not clear to me what element matches what strong attack

Chachi posted:

Watch the head of the trident when you use the various strong attacks, they leave pretty distinct colored trails.

Specifically, white is S2 and S6, purple is S3, and red is S4 and S5.

Also, what the game doesn't tell you is that every time you do this, you get a little red thing that floats around your feet. If you get three, the S1 changes to a temporary (30-second, I think) buff for all of your strong attacks.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
Just a quick heads-up: If you have been waiting for the PC/Steam version of DW8XL:Complete, it just came up today on the Steam store for pre-order. Score!