Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
During an interview, is it considered a faux pas to ask an interviewer if their workforce is unionized? I interviewed with a call center recently and asked because I know that a number of other call centers in the area are unionized. It turns out that this one isn't, and the interviewer seemed taken aback when I asked her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameo
Sep 24, 2010
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but does anyone have any strategies that they have found particularly helpful when coping with rejection. I had an interview yesterday that went swimmingly. The hiring manager was very complimentary of me and my answers (thanks to you guys). I got a phone call today that was equally complimentary, but I still did not get the job. I understand that they needed to make the best decision for them, but it really cut deep. I've been searching for a new position for over eight months now, and it gets harder and harder to hear that I'm second or third best.

Right now, I'm trying to focus on ways to improve my skill set and my answers (I asked for feedback, but probably won't receive any). At the end of the day, I know I need to just move on, especially since I have another interview next week. I'd just like to move on quicker without beating myself up like I've been doing the past few hours.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Huge Liability posted:

During an interview, is it considered a faux pas to ask an interviewer if their workforce is unionized? I interviewed with a call center recently and asked because I know that a number of other call centers in the area are unionized. It turns out that this one isn't, and the interviewer seemed taken aback when I asked her.

I think it's perfectly fine to ask but just word it appropriately.

Good Idea: "Is there union representation for the call center staff?"

Bad Idea: "So you guys are a union shop, right?"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to ask but just word it appropriately.

Good Idea: "Is there union representation for the call center staff?"

Bad Idea: "So you guys are a union shop, right?"

That can still very easily backfire if they're anti-union, regardless of how you phrase it.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

the posted:

If I made a full-length resume, it would be around 3 pages. Should I do this if I'm primarily applying electronically to jobs?

My last resume was three pages long, partially due to the fact that I've had a fair amount of upward movement, combined with three company changes in 9 years. I did start trimming achievements/details from the older positions.

Nameo posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but does anyone have any strategies that they have found particularly helpful when coping with rejection. I had an interview yesterday that went swimmingly. The hiring manager was very complimentary of me and my answers (thanks to you guys). I got a phone call today that was equally complimentary, but I still did not get the job. I understand that they needed to make the best decision for them, but it really cut deep. I've been searching for a new position for over eight months now, and it gets harder and harder to hear that I'm second or third best.

Right now, I'm trying to focus on ways to improve my skill set and my answers (I asked for feedback, but probably won't receive any). At the end of the day, I know I need to just move on, especially since I have another interview next week. I'd just like to move on quicker without beating myself up like I've been doing the past few hours.

You did really well, so you're on the verge of success. This is the simplest way to look at it, along with the fact that this opportunity wasn't the right one for you. With eight months invested, you now have a very good handle on selling yourself - when you're the right fit, you'll slot right in.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nameo posted:

Join a gym.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Huge Liability posted:

You'll find out when they make an offer; it doesn't really matter to you until then. If you're really curious, Google's your friend.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I just landed a job after an extended period of part-time / casual work and consulting. Admittedly my work is a bit unusual (scientific and academic) but I figured people might get some value - or comfort - out of my experiences:

* You could drown under the all the advice people will give you about job-seeking and interviewing. You can't do or pay attention to it all and it's not all good. So don't get stressed out about it - look for the common points, the sensible ones, do that common 80%.

* There is an incredible amount of bullshit out there: jobs that don't actually exist, jobs that are earmarked for someone already, jobs that are not what they were advertised as, jobs that are trying to get million-dollar skills for dime salaries. That's just the way it is. But there's a positive spin to this - your failure to get the job is often not your fault.

* There's a few jobs that just keep getting advertised again and again, sometime for years. Rejoice in this - they can't get anyone to take their piece of crap or keep anyone in the position.

* I automated my job search as much as possible with RSS feeds, mailing lists, alerts and so on. Then once day a week I went through all the results and selected out the ones that were worth pursuing. It means the job search isn't on your mind all the time, but when you're working on it, you're working on it.

* I was reasonably liberal about what jobs I looked at or applied for. I figured that a job ad is an imperfect reflection of the actual job and in any event, the job will adjust the person employed. And indeed the job I eventually took didn't look so good on the initial ad.

* T-format cover letters rule. It makes things severely easier for HR and anyone trying to make a shortlist. Use a T-format cover letter and you'll increase your rate of shortlisting.

* Holy crap there are some terrible electronic application web systems out there. Explain how you are suited to the position in question, with reference to your skills, education and job history (300 characters maximum).

* I frequently ignored questions they asked on application forms. What marks did I get at school? That's not relevant. What was my salary at my last job? Leave it blank. Didn't seem to harm my odds.

* Interviews suck. A wise friend of mine made the observation that most are little better than show trials: looking for evidence to justify decisions that have already been made, consciously or subconsciously. And I had some toxic ones, ones that were adversarial or outrageous or betrayed how terrible the job was. One interviewer asked me detailed questions about how to do a particular piece of work ... while making notes not on me but on what I said. He was using me as an unpaid consultant.

* Conversely, I think interviews can be very informative. Bad workplaces, relationships and problems will bleed through, particularly if you ask about them. Always ask, What's the worse thing about working here? Good, helpful bosses will be good and helpful in the interview. And an interview is at least practice for the next interview.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

outlier posted:

I just landed a job after an extended period of part-time / casual work and consulting. Admittedly my work is a bit unusual (scientific and academic) but I figured people might get some value - or comfort - out of my experiences:

* You could drown under the all the advice people will give you about job-seeking and interviewing. You can't do or pay attention to it all and it's not all good. So don't get stressed out about it - look for the common points, the sensible ones, do that common 80%.

* There is an incredible amount of bullshit out there: jobs that don't actually exist, jobs that are earmarked for someone already, jobs that are not what they were advertised as, jobs that are trying to get million-dollar skills for dime salaries. That's just the way it is. But there's a positive spin to this - your failure to get the job is often not your fault.

* There's a few jobs that just keep getting advertised again and again, sometime for years. Rejoice in this - they can't get anyone to take their piece of crap or keep anyone in the position.

* I automated my job search as much as possible with RSS feeds, mailing lists, alerts and so on. Then once day a week I went through all the results and selected out the ones that were worth pursuing. It means the job search isn't on your mind all the time, but when you're working on it, you're working on it.

* I was reasonably liberal about what jobs I looked at or applied for. I figured that a job ad is an imperfect reflection of the actual job and in any event, the job will adjust the person employed. And indeed the job I eventually took didn't look so good on the initial ad.

* T-format cover letters rule. It makes things severely easier for HR and anyone trying to make a shortlist. Use a T-format cover letter and you'll increase your rate of shortlisting.

* Holy crap there are some terrible electronic application web systems out there. Explain how you are suited to the position in question, with reference to your skills, education and job history (300 characters maximum).

* I frequently ignored questions they asked on application forms. What marks did I get at school? That's not relevant. What was my salary job? Leave it blank. Didn't seem to harm my odds.

* Interviews suck. A wise friend of mine made the observation that most are little better than show trials: looking for evidence to justify decisions that have already been made, consciously or subconsciously. And I have some toxic ones, ones that were adversarial or outrageous or betrayed how terrible the job was. One interviewer asked me detailed questions about how to do a particular piece of work ... while making notes not on me but on what I said. He was using me as an unpaid consultant.

* Conversely, I think interviews can be very informative. Bad workplaces, relationships and problems will bleed through, particularly if you ask about them. Always ask, What's the worse thing about working here? Good, helpful bosses will be good and helpful in the interview. And an interview is at least practice for the next interview.

Good information, thanks for that. I have an interview tomorrow and if I don't get this job I'll be officially "between jobs". Yikes!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

timp posted:

Good information, thanks for that. I have an interview tomorrow and if I don't get this job I'll be officially "between jobs". Yikes!

Be strong. They may be assholes, but you can use the interview for practice if nothing else.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Good post.

outlier posted:

* Interviews suck. A wise friend of mine made the observation that most are little better than show trials: looking for evidence to justify decisions that have already been made, consciously or subconsciously. And I had some toxic ones, ones that were adversarial or outrageous or betrayed how terrible the job was. One interviewer asked me detailed questions about how to do a particular piece of work ... while making notes not on me but on what I said. He was using me as an unpaid consultant.
It sounds like you've had a pretty hard experience. I've been to probably 10-15 job interviews with maybe 20-30 total interviewers, 4 offers (3 accepted) since graduating in 2007 and honestly only one person at one of those interviews was substantially toxic and rude. Had some disinterested upper management types. I agree if people are toxic to you during the INTERVIEW stage you should run like hell; imagine what working there must be like. Academia is like that a lot though. Lots of dicks.

quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't agree with phrasing it that way, it's a little bold. Bad interviewers/managers will flip their poo poo, and most good ones won't take offence, but I can think of a couple decent ones that might be put off or think it's unprofessional. Typically I'd ask "What's the greatest challenges of this position/working for the department" or "Where have people struggled the most in this position/department"

seacat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 4, 2014

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

What is a T-format cover letter :ohdear:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Susical posted:

I was afraid to ask myself

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Susical posted:

A horrendous gimmick that I would just throw out without reading because my job descriptions are more complicated than 3 lines. If you're applying for very simple jobs, I guess it would work.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=t-format+cover+letter

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That last little bit about interview observations saved me from a horrible job a little while ago. Was taking a tour of the place and it just felt like a tomb rather than a laboratory. None of the employees I met seemed like they were enjoying themselves. So I kind of wrote it off at that point.

Few days later a friend who works with them but for another company heard that I interviewed there. He asked me if I got an offer, told him no, and he went "Oh thank god." Then told me the tales of how terrible that place is.

Now if I can just get a decent place to hire me on...

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I just have some basic questions that I couldn't find in the OP.

I've only been working now for about 4 years, and have spent all of that at two jobs. One year was spent doing a Mcjob I hated, and the other 3 were at a very well known/respected coffee shop here in Seattle. Since I've been looking for something to replace that job, I picked up a basic coffee job at Starbucks just to keep paying the bills. It's nothing special, but I've been doing it for 3-4 months.

What I'm curious about is, do I add that to my resume? I'm reworking it now that I know better what people are looking for, and I'm a bit worried about making the respected job second in line behind 3 months at Starbucks. I've had a number of callbacks/interviews entirely off the name from the first job, so hiding it in the middle of the page seems like a bad idea, especially with all the mentions of "they only skim it for 30 seconds.". I also don't want companies to get the wrong impression about how reliable I am, and I imagine having someone with a 3 month to "Present" job would look a bit unreliable.

It's nice filler though for the resume itself, and they make smoothies/sandwiches which I didn't before, which would be important to other coffee shops. Trying to figure out what I should do. Do I just lie and say I got that experience from the first job?

Secondly is there a good way to separate skills? I'm following the "Overview paragraph" "First job experience bullet points" "Second job experience bullet points" format, and I feel like I'm taking away from the first job experience to pad the Overview paragraph. Every one of my major accomplishments happened at the first job, so I either double down and have two parts that are basically identical, or I split the accomplishments between the two sections and make both look a bit anemic. Is there a better way to handle this, or should I just be doubling down to drive the point home?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 5, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Are you applying to coffee shops/companies where that experience will be relevant? Then leave it on, nobody will care if you switch that sort of job after 3 months. There's fairly high turnover in the industry.

If you're applying to a job where it's not relevant, leave it off. There's no requirement that you list every job on your resume.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking at possible new work so I figured I'd spruce up my resume. Does anyone mind taking a look?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/451716/Resume-redacted.pdf

I'd be happy to provide a detailed critique if you upload this as a .doc file. I can't mark up .pdfs, so if anyone wants me to provide a basic critique, please upload the resume in question as a .doc file.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Susical posted:

Something like: "I'd like to apply for X job. Here is a comparison of your requirements versus my skills"

Then a two column table with entries like "experienced with Y" vs "I used Y in building a major ..."

It makes it easy for you to write a cover letter and it makes it easy for HR to see why you should be shortlisted, rather than having to excavate that information from paragraphs of blather. Try it, it's a good idea.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

DustingDuvet posted:

I'd be happy to provide a detailed critique if you upload this as a .doc file. I can't mark up .pdfs, so if anyone wants me to provide a basic critique, please upload the resume in question as a .doc file.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Here's a link to mine in doc format. I've updated it a little bit based on feedback from this thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmk59t6lusry1jn/Resume%20redacted.doc

I'm still having a problem flowing over on to 2 pages. Do you have any suggestions for what could be cut to fix that? Keep in mind that the publication list is about 6 lines long or so (3 entries, 2 lines each.)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
What should I do with my resume if I'm at the exact same job but with two different companies? I work at a CDC lab that's contracted to be run by an outside company. I was with the old company who lost the contract last year and was let go by them, then was rehired by the new company. I have a new title, but that's really the only difference.

For context, I'm looking to apply to a position at a different CDC lab. This new position is contracted to be operated by the company that I work for now. Unlike the lab I'm at now, the CDC chooses who to hire, not my company. But if nothing else, I would hope that my managers would push me as a good candidate since I'm qualified for that job and already work for the company.

edit: while I'm at it, I've been wondering for a while whether I should list things like how I'm an eagle scout. One one hand, people tell me to keep it on there because nobody's gonna think it's bad and it might run across the desk of another former scout who it would stick out to. But on the other hand I feel like a shithead who thinks something I did as a kid 10 years ago is somehow relevant to anything I do today. It's one line right at the bottom of my resume so it probably gets skimmed over anyway, but I'd be curious what other people who aren't my parents think.

On a similar note, in the same section I also list how I spent 3 months after college WWOOFing in Ireland, both to put something that doesn't sound boring as hell on my resume and also to show that I wasn't just sitting around after graduating. But it takes up several lines so I'm not sure about it.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 5, 2014

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

What should I do with my resume if I'm at the exact same job but with two different companies? I work at a CDC lab that's contracted to be run by an outside company. I was with the old company who lost the contract last year and was let go by them, then was rehired by the new company. I have a new title, but that's really the only difference.

In similar cases, I've either used a slash between employers (e.g. 2007-2014, Bottle Washer, GlobalTech / BigBiz) or just listed the most recent employer (e.g. 2007-2014, Bottle Washer, BigBiz), treating it as a single job. The position and duties is the most important part and you just want to be informative.

quote:

edit: while I'm at it, I've been wondering for a while whether I should list things like how I'm an eagle scout. One one hand, people tell me to keep it on there because nobody's gonna think it's bad and it might run across the desk of another former scout who it would stick out to. But on the other hand I feel like a shithead who thinks something I did as a kid 10 years ago is somehow relevant to anything I do today. It's one line right at the bottom of my resume so it probably gets skimmed over anyway, but I'd be curious what other people who aren't my parents think.

On a similar note, in the same section I also list how I spent 3 months after college WWOOFing in Ireland, both to put something that doesn't sound boring as hell on my resume and also to show that I wasn't just sitting around after graduating. But it takes up several lines so I'm not sure about it.

There's a real divide on this. I was always told that you include only pertinent info, and cramming in hobbies and "experiences" from years ago looks weird, smacks of trying to fluff up your CV, and makes it harder for people to find the important stuff. But I've met the occasional HR or career advisor that advocates for it. And you'll hear stories of people claiming they got their job because they mentioned their love of D&D / Nascar / tennis / TGIF. But my general feeling is unless it's directly applicable, don't list it.

(It may be a cultural thing - here in the UK, we occasionally get applications from Americans that brag of the spelling bee they won in grade 2, talk of their aspirations and dreams and the moment they realised they wanted to be a Bottle Washer Class 2. And these look really weird next to the "just the facts" European CVs.)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

outlier posted:

In similar cases, I've either used a slash between employers (e.g. 2007-2014, Bottle Washer, GlobalTech / BigBiz) or just listed the most recent employer (e.g. 2007-2014, Bottle Washer, BigBiz), treating it as a single job. The position and duties is the most important part and you just want to be informative.

There's a real divide on this. I was always told that you include only pertinent info, and cramming in hobbies and "experiences" from years ago looks weird, smacks of trying to fluff up your CV, and makes it harder for people to find the important stuff. But I've met the occasional HR or career advisor that advocates for it. And you'll hear stories of people claiming they got their job because they mentioned their love of D&D / Nascar / tennis / TGIF. But my general feeling is unless it's directly applicable, don't list it.

(It may be a cultural thing - here in the UK, we occasionally get applications from Americans that brag of the spelling bee they won in grade 2, talk of their aspirations and dreams and the moment they realised they wanted to be a Bottle Washer Class 2. And these look really weird next to the "just the facts" European CVs.)

Well, the two main problems with putting it as one job is that my title changed and that there was a 5-month gap between being fired and rehired. Although it was pretty much a direct transition in retrospect, it would be inaccurate to say that I went directly from one company to another. I think I've decided on having all the job info listed under my current employer and then the title, company, and dates for the old company below with "Identical duties and responsibilities as above" for the description. Anything else just looks cluttered and unclear.

I wonder if that comes down to how some people consider resumes and CVs to be different. A CV feels like it should be a barebones list of your professional experience and achievement, and should be listed in 3rd-person bulletpoints. A resume seems to be more of a personal snapshot, giving some context and using 1st-person language.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xandu posted:

Are you applying to coffee shops/companies where that experience will be relevant? Then leave it on, nobody will care if you switch that sort of job after 3 months. There's fairly high turnover in the industry.

If you're applying to a job where it's not relevant, leave it off. There's no requirement that you list every job on your resume.

Alright cool, I'll keep it in then.

How about the doubling of info? I've currently got my overview mentioning the I've got x years in the industry, handled training as a manager, won competitions etc as I'm trying to sell myself upfront. But all that stuff also applies to my main job. Do I just reiterate those accomplishments when I get to that section, make it a bit more generic ( made coffee! ), or split them up?

Also should I be using bullet points or paragraphs? I've currently got paragraph for overview and bullet points for individual jobs.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I've been trying to avoid putting an "anticipated salary" in job applications whenever possible. Some fields are required in applications.

I'm a grad student chemist. The American Chemical Society publishes the results of a yearly "New Graduate Salary" survey. In the past, this has seemed like a pretty reliable starting point as most of my friends have started out well over the amounts listed in the survey. When addressed with the question above to a particular company, I put about 5% higher than the average on the survey.

I sent the recruiter a quick e-mail thanking them for contacting my department and hope I'm a good fit, and hope to hear back soon yadda yadda. She responded and said thanks for the interest, but she wanted to let me know that the "anticipated salary" I listed was "way above range" for the position.

I'd like to put myself in the position to compete for the job, even if it seems like they're lowballing the hell out of recent grad hires. Should I contact her back and say that I'm inexperienced at this and was solely basing it off that survey? Maybe just not contact her and adjust my application in their system down? Any advice?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Siroc posted:

I've been trying to avoid putting an "anticipated salary" in job applications whenever possible. Some fields are required in applications.

I'm a grad student chemist. The American Chemical Society publishes the results of a yearly "New Graduate Salary" survey. In the past, this has seemed like a pretty reliable starting point as most of my friends have started out well over the amounts listed in the survey. When addressed with the question above to a particular company, I put about 5% higher than the average on the survey.

I sent the recruiter a quick e-mail thanking them for contacting my department and hope I'm a good fit, and hope to hear back soon yadda yadda. She responded and said thanks for the interest, but she wanted to let me know that the "anticipated salary" I listed was "way above range" for the position.

I'd like to put myself in the position to compete for the job, even if it seems like they're lowballing the hell out of recent grad hires. Should I contact her back and say that I'm inexperienced at this and was solely basing it off that survey? Maybe just not contact her and adjust my application in their system down? Any advice?
What degree (masters/PhD), what specialty if any, what job title and what rough geographical location?

If you're talking about that table from C&E N which breaks down average salaries by years of experience and branch (analytical/physical/etc.) that thing is a load. It doesn't really adjust for geographical location which is a huge deal. I regularly see adverts for my job in hellholes like New Jersey and Port Arthur for 1.5-2x what I make.

Not to say the ACS is full of poo poo or anything. Chem grads are just employed in a VAST varied amount of positions and that survey is way too condensed to be useful.

Since you mentioned a recruiter I'm assuming you aren't applying in academia. Have you had relevant industry experience? If not unfortunately you're just not in a position to negotiate. I'd contact her back and see what their anticipated range is first. If it's too low for you to accept, you'll have to move on and hope it was just a lovely paying company (you'd be surprised what the difference is between two similar companies in the same place for the same position). If you can live on it, your best bet would be to pursue it (amongst other things). It's just really really tough to negotiate as a new grad at any level.

FYI, I'm a quality lab manager who hires analytical chemists/lab technicians. Disclaimer I only have a BS in a chem and do not hire anything above a BS so I can't tell you all that much about grad student job market...

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
After receiving an email from a recruiter with one availability time, is it bad taste to inform the recruiter that their specific availability for an interview does not work with my schedule? I received an email for an in-person interview for this Thursday but I have prior obligations that I cannot change. I called the recruiter and gave her my availability for the rest of the week / next week and she sounded a little irritated since "Thursday was the time that worked with the interviewers schedule". Am I just worrying too much?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

seacat posted:

FYI, I'm a quality lab manager who hires analytical chemists/lab technicians. Disclaimer I only have a BS in a chem and do not hire anything above a BS so I can't tell you all that much about grad student job market...

In most cases, pretend a MS and a BS are the same thing. PhDs are off in their own market, too.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Busy Bee posted:

After receiving an email from a recruiter with one availability time, is it bad taste to inform the recruiter that their specific availability for an interview does not work with my schedule? I received an email for an in-person interview for this Thursday but I have prior obligations that I cannot change. I called the recruiter and gave her my availability for the rest of the week / next week and she sounded a little irritated since "Thursday was the time that worked with the interviewers schedule". Am I just worrying too much?
You're worrying too much. Here's my take on it- whenever we want to hire someone at our office, we try to accommodate their schedule when booking an interview. The reason: if we really want to hire them, we'll compromise. We also don't want to be jerks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 4, 2024

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

seacat posted:

What degree (masters/PhD), what specialty if any, what job title and what rough geographical location?

If you're talking about that table from C&E N which breaks down average salaries by years of experience and branch (analytical/physical/etc.) that thing is a load. It doesn't really adjust for geographical location which is a huge deal. I regularly see adverts for my job in hellholes like New Jersey and Port Arthur for 1.5-2x what I make.

Not to say the ACS is full of poo poo or anything. Chem grads are just employed in a VAST varied amount of positions and that survey is way too condensed to be useful.

Since you mentioned a recruiter I'm assuming you aren't applying in academia. Have you had relevant industry experience? If not unfortunately you're just not in a position to negotiate. I'd contact her back and see what their anticipated range is first. If it's too low for you to accept, you'll have to move on and hope it was just a lovely paying company (you'd be surprised what the difference is between two similar companies in the same place for the same position). If you can live on it, your best bet would be to pursue it (amongst other things). It's just really really tough to negotiate as a new grad at any level.

Thanks so much for your advice, seacat. Is there any way I could contact you to chat? While I am pursuing my PhD in Analytical Chem, I'd love to ask a few questions to someone who hires scientists. Can I contact you on gchat, irc, etc? I don't think you have private messaging.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Siroc posted:

Thanks so much for your advice, seacat. Is there any way I could contact you to chat? While I am pursuing my PhD in Analytical Chem, I'd love to ask a few questions to someone who hires scientists. Can I contact you on gchat, irc, etc? I don't think you have private messaging.

Sure, I work a lot of hours so e-mail is the best. I made a dummy account, saseacat@outlook.com, feel free to ask me anything, I just can't go into specific details of my job. As DemeaninDemon said above though PhDs are in a different market, they're above my lab's level to hire but I can help give you at least some guidance since my boss has one.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

seacat posted:

Sure, I work a lot of hours so e-mail is the best. I made a dummy account, saseacat@outlook.com, feel free to ask me anything, I just can't go into specific details of my job. As DemeaninDemon said above though PhDs are in a different market, they're above my lab's level to hire but I can help give you at least some guidance since my boss has one.

Thanks so much. I'd really just appreciate an industrial chemists point of view. I don't necessarily think any of my questions are PhD specific. I'll e-mail you within a few days and respond at your convenience.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it! Here's a link to mine in doc format. I've updated it a little bit based on feedback from this thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmk59t6lusry1jn/Resume%20redacted.doc

I'm still having a problem flowing over on to 2 pages. Do you have any suggestions for what could be cut to fix that? Keep in mind that the publication list is about 6 lines long or so (3 entries, 2 lines each.)

The main problems with this is a lack of context for anything you discuss in the bullet points. I imagine the name of the company will make this a little clearer, but you are a little too deep in the technical specifics without giving any context or big picture information. Remember, an HR rep is usually the first person who will read this. You need to make it clear to them what the projects are, and then add on the technical details.

As far as getting this across one page goes, you can mention your publications in one bullet point in the research position. You could also cut from the summary, and consolidate the multiple sentences in the bullet points. This will give you more room. Or, you could add more spacing and put this across two pages, which is fine for your experience. It's this 1 page plus just a little more you want to avoid.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I've got an interview coming up! Specifically, it's a for a customer data analyst position. Other titles are business analyst, or data analyst. Compiling reports and statistical analyses of customer behavior, CHURN models, SQL and database management. Not to be confused with the data analyst jobs that are really just data entry. I've run into a few of those. It's also my first job, ever! What I need to know is, what's a reasonable expectation for a salary? And how do I know if I'm getting ripped off? Most of the data I've looked up indicates the very low end of the position tends to pay over 40K, so I know anything lower than that is probably out. But I'm not sure what part of the bell curve I should be paying attention too. And the data is sort of sparse.

Edit: Nevermind. Everything I'm reading about the company is TERRIBLE. They have a one star rating on yelp after over 70 reviews. And one of my job responsibilities would be developing statistical models that help sales teams pressure clients into staying on with the company despite horrible service. Maybe I'm a primadonna, but I'm not comfortable doing that.

:psyduck:

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 6, 2014

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008
New to the whole corporate world job search thing. I met with a career person that directed me to use a "functional resume" to try to show skill crossover from past jobs/school to match job duties.

This is all new to me (I've been in EMS virtually my whole adult life).
I could definitely use some help/feedback for my resume.

I've only sent out a few so far, but in this format (customized to each job).

Resume:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4t3_oedE6eVWZkRnJyd2d2SHc/edit?usp=sharing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I recently accepted an offer from a company, but I'm still getting calls from other places I applied for. How do I figure out whether the position is something I'm interested in if I don't remember the details on the spot? Should I just straight out say that I have an offer, but I would still be interested in hearing the details of this other position? I don't want to do anything that reflects badly on me down the line.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

UrielX posted:

New to the whole corporate world job search thing. I met with a career person that directed me to use a "functional resume" to try to show skill crossover from past jobs/school to match job duties.

This is all new to me (I've been in EMS virtually my whole adult life).
I could definitely use some help/feedback for my resume.

I've only sent out a few so far, but in this format (customized to each job).

Resume:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4t3_oedE6eVWZkRnJyd2d2SHc/edit?usp=sharing
"Functional resume" = "Hiding something". No, not fair. But yes, 99% of hiring managers will see it that way. Do not take advice from that person again.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ok here's a question for you I've been wrestling with. Around the same time I interviewed at two places and obviously I'd take Job A over Job B. Job B made me an offer and I got the week to think about it. Is it ok to email Job A, ask them where I am at candidate-wise, and elude to the other offer? Not come out and say "Hey these assholes over here offered me first" but just sort of imply it with my wording? There's a pretty big difference between Job A and Job B, too, but uh yeah I need an actual job.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

seacat posted:

"Functional resume" = "Hiding something". No, not fair. But yes, 99% of hiring managers will see it that way. Do not take advice from that person again.

Well he is "hiding" something, he's never had an office job before. Not convinced that sort of resume format is the best way to handle that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ok here's a question for you I've been wrestling with. Around the same time I interviewed at two places and obviously I'd take Job A over Job B. Job B made me an offer and I got the week to think about it. Is it ok to email Job A, ask them where I am at candidate-wise, and elude to the other offer? Not come out and say "Hey these assholes over here offered me first" but just sort of imply it with my wording? There's a pretty big difference between Job A and Job B, too, but uh yeah I need an actual job.

A lot of times places want to know if you have any job offers on the table because if you're a highly desirable candidate in their eyes they'll move quick on you.

I'd say it depends on the relationship you have with the people you've been interviewing with. Could you talk frankly with them and say, "Hey, guys. I just want to let you know that I have been interviewing at many places and there have been some offers being discussed. I want you to know that you're my first choice, but if I don't hear back from you in the next [time frame] I'll have to accept an offer at another business."