Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the Blue Flame have the moveset of a broadsword or longsword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the Blue Flame have the moveset of a broadsword or longsword?

It has the moveset of the Blue Flame. Long/Broadswords are only different in their strong attacks, and Blueflame strong attacks are replaced by casting sorceries.

EDIT: I should note, I have no idea what happens when you 2hand the thing, so there may be some room for strong thrust/slashes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do you get sin for invading people as part of the bellcop covenant? Its a nice way to farm chunks but this character is supposed to be "nice" and as such I don't wanna piss off the blue boys.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Operant posted:

Holy poo poo the Royal Rat Authority is ridiculous as gently caress. Finding out that he was optional was more ridiculous.

This is how I did the fight on my melee character:

Blow up the rats it has hanging around preferably with a bow, I had a dragonrider and fire arrows, blow them all up ASAP via crosshairs at max range. When the boss makes it's dramatic appearance, do not target lock, just run underneath it's belly or stay at the outside flank of either rear leg. The boss is incapable of hitting you in those locations. Caution though, when the boss gets to roughly 50% hp, it'll vomit up a big rear end "Don't stand in this poo poo" pool. If you've ever owned a dog or cat, you can recognize the tell for that when it's coming.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you get sin for invading people as part of the bellcop covenant? Its a nice way to farm chunks but this character is supposed to be "nice" and as such I don't wanna piss off the blue boys.

Nope.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah is there even anything that actually causes toxic damage? I would assume toxic mist does but that's a player spell. I can't recall anytime I got hit with toxic by an enemy.

The boss of the Shaded Woods can toxic you.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

For any Dota fans, got summoned into this guy's game last night. Pretty awesome.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

If you want to be extra nice then join the sentinels and used your blue eye orbs inside a bell tower. You'll get to attack sinners alongside bellbros.

Make the guilty really pay the price!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You also won't gain sin for using a red sign soapstone, if you ever just wanna do PvP without pissing off the cops. Pretty much the only way to gain sin is to kill NPCs or invade with the cracked red eye orb - unless you get summoned as a Mirror Squire and then you don't anyways.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Man, Duke's Dear Freja is brutal. That beam attack has a really weird hitbox and has a tendency to one-shot hosts, and has finished me off after getting hit by a spider.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Crap... so I Spoke to the ancient dragon, and it *said* he gave me the ashen mist heart, but it's nowhere in my inventory and talking to giants just says "a giant rests in peace"... am I utterly hosed?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh man there's actually cut dialogue from the game that makes it more clear as to what the reasons behind your motivation is. You guys can read about it here (scroll down to dialogue). The Emerald Herald and Nashandra sections are especially interesting. Spoilers of course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EvilCornbread posted:

For any Dota fans, got summoned into this guy's game last night. Pretty awesome.

See I wouldn't get mad if I got killed by him. I could just pretend the horrendous lag was tidebringer's cleave! :shepface:

Ah cool. You know the bell covenant would be greatly improved IMO if there was a cooldown of more than 10 seconds between grey spirit invasions. If a grey spirit could invade every minute or so, you could actually stand a chance. You would have time to kill one spirit before the next shows up. When both can show up right away though you're hosed unless they are hilariously incompetent.

Too bad From isn't likely to tweak these things.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Crap... so I Spoke to the ancient dragon, and it *said* he gave me the ashen mist heart, but it's nowhere in my inventory and talking to giants just says "a giant rests in peace"... am I utterly hosed?

You are not hosed.

I think the Ashen Mist Heart is under Keys. Moreover, that giant does something else. Look for others.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? He's even easier than the wolf in Dark Souls. Just get under him and he can't do jack poo poo.

Beat him, but tried to roll on that charge attack of his instead of blocking for about 15+ attempts. Don't do this. Just block.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've found the nemesis of my dual Caestus character: Titanite Lizards!

Is there any way of actually killing those little shits with Caestus?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Elysiume posted:

Man, Duke's Dear Freja is brutal. That beam attack has a really weird hitbox and has a tendency to one-shot hosts, and has finished me off after getting hit by a spider.
It's super easy to avoid, just dodge right through the beam at the last moment and you'll basically never get hit. It depends a bit on the angle of the beam, but as a general rule it works 99% of the time.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Ulvirich posted:

This is how I did the fight on my melee character:

Blow up the rats it has hanging around preferably with a bow, I had a dragonrider and fire arrows, blow them all up ASAP via crosshairs at max range. When the boss makes it's dramatic appearance, do not target lock, just run underneath it's belly or stay at the outside flank of either rear leg. The boss is incapable of hitting you in those locations. Caution though, when the boss gets to roughly 50% hp, it'll vomit up a big rear end "Don't stand in this poo poo" pool. If you've ever owned a dog or cat, you can recognize the tell for that when it's coming.

Alternate low effort strategy: Shield tank head charge. When he winds up for a double paw swipe, run underneath him where he can't hit you with that attack and deploy chaos firestorm. The double swipe should take long enough that you can firestorm safely, if he does a different attack just bide your time and resume shield tanking. Enjoy your rat burgers.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 5, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Man, Duke's Dear Freja is brutal.

Only advice here is for you to lean hard on the right side of the boss and learn to recognize the tell. It'll raise it's body a bit up and start pointing it's head to it's right side (your left) while opening it's mouth. That's your cue to loving book it. With a sturdy enough shield you can survive being hit but it'll wreck your health; easier just to run.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EvilCornbread posted:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
From my days of fiending WoW like a sperg, the best way to avoid the beam on Freja is to run straight towards the boss and pass its flank to its other head, C'thun style.

The closer you are to the boss, the slower the beam, after all.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just walk away from it now because it's slow.

I dropped my stone and canceled it to refresh the other sigils, and someone apparently got my sign in the half second it was down. I never connected to their world, but I couldn't use my soapstone or anything. Apparently they beat the boss with another phantom and I got the sunlight medals but no souls. :confuoot:

edit: And then I summoned two people who couldn't get into the room and I died trying to solo it. Amazing. gently caress this boss

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 5, 2014

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Suitaru posted:

You are not hosed.

I think the Ashen Mist Heart is under Keys. Moreover, that giant does something else. Look for others.

Ooh nice, thank you!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

EvilCornbread posted:

The dedication of some people amazes me. How many hours has he put into this game already?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Motherfucker posted:

Bring back dragon transformation instead of 'turn your armor into cool looking but actually pretty useless armor you can't remove'

The Black Dragon Armor is actually pretty loving excellent from a protection standpoint considering how insanely light it is. It gives around 500 to all physical resists and pretty impressive magic resists while weighing a total of like 9 pounds or something, which is less than most medium chestplates on their own. It has no poise and it doesn't compare to an upgraded suit of real armor defensively, but it's an absolutely fantastic way to give yourself some decent defense while skimping on VIT. The only real downside is giving up your head slot so you miss out on the various cast speed/spell use hoods.

It also looks rad as gently caress. You're telling me you'd rather turn into an idiotic giraffe-necked lizardman instead of doing an awesome power rangers transformation into gold/black dragon plate? I feel like a superhero when I dragon transform now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Why is his face painted red when he could just straight up have red skin instead. Also Admiral Kunkka should be using that scimitar Giligan will give you. That weapon actually looks pretty cool but is totally unremarkable.

EDIT: Though that reminds me, for those that don't know you can actually do a lot of creative stuff with tattoos. Since you can move them to anywhere on your face and resize them in various ways, you can use them to make stuff like masks or full face paint. Its pretty nifty.

Broken Cog posted:

Easily? No. Even the downwards punch doesn't seem to hit them. I just chuck lightning spears at them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 5, 2014

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Broken Cog posted:

I have no trouble killing them with the 2h heavy attack, you just have to get close or lead them into a wall.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is his face painted red when he could just straight up have red skin instead. Also Admiral Kunkka should be using that scimitar Giligan will give you. That weapon actually looks pretty cool but is totally unremarkable.

EDIT: Though that reminds me, for those that don't know you can actually do a lot of creative stuff with tattoos. Since you can move them to anywhere on your face and resize them in various ways, you can use them to make stuff like masks or full face paint. Its pretty nifty.

Easily? No. Even the downwards punch doesn't seem to hit them. I just chuck lightning spears at them.

Beats me but someone linked a better one.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

My "main" character is around level 200 now, and I've tried both sorcery and miracle builds. Is it just me, or do miracles feel "weaker" overall offensively compared to sorcery? Take Great Lightning Spear compared to, say, Crystal Soul Spear.

Then again I haven't gotten Sunlight Spear or WoTG yet so maybe those plus the overall utility of miracles makes them more rounded. Just a thought. Also I wish the Disc Chime was better at...everything, because it looks awesome and combining blocking capability with casting stuff is awesome.

I wanted to put a str/pyromancer build together for low level chunk farming/sunbroing, but you really get poo poo-all for good pyro spells let alone upgrade capability for your flame, until at least 50% of the way through a "typical" NG progression. That was disappointing to realize. Anyone done something similar have suggestions for ways to make a relatively low-SM character that uses pyromancy as the ranged combat method?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Internet Kraken posted:

Or use throwing knives, I always carry a bunch of those since they're surprisingly not-poo poo this time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sushibandit posted:

Is it just me, or do miracles feel "weaker" overall offensively compared to sorcery? Take Great Lightning Spear compared to, say, Crystal Soul Spear.

Duh. They're supposed to. Miracles are more defensive. Notice there's no sorcery heals? Even pyromancy gets a heal now. Sorcery is purely offensive, so it should be best at that. Miracles were mostly defensive in 1, now they have more offensive options so its more rounded, but of course the pure offensive magic type is going to out damage the all around magic type. (Though Hexes are the most damaging if you're willing to spend souls and build around it)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Duke's Dear Freja tips: Whenever she's doing something dumb, take time to kill off some spiders. They respawn but it takes forever and those little fucks will slaughter you way more than the boss will.

If you see her winding up the beam attack (has the biggest tell), without hesitation just run straight under her and hit her backside. Spiders will get caught and die in your attacks, most likely.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sushibandit posted:

My "main" character is around level 200 now, and I've tried both sorcery and miracle builds. Is it just me, or do miracles feel "weaker" overall offensively compared to sorcery? Take Great Lightning Spear compared to, say, Crystal Soul Spear.

Then again I haven't gotten Sunlight Spear or WoTG yet so maybe those plus the overall utility of miracles makes them more rounded. Just a thought. Also I wish the Disc Chime was better at...everything, because it looks awesome and combining blocking capability with casting stuff is awesome.

Great Lightning Spear is a mid-tier nuke and Crystal Soul Spear is a top-line nuke that you have to farm a NG+ boss to get copies of. GLS is much closer to normal Soul Spear, which it outperforms pretty handily in PvE due to having drastically more shots and having a much better damage type for hitting enemy weaknesses.

Sunlight Spear is the rough analogue to CSS, and Sunlight Spear does not disappoint.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I have some sunlight medals now; do I have to go back to the statue to rank up and get the rewards, or what? Nothing was added to my inventory when I reached 10 and 20 medals.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not doing well against the Lost Sinner. Do I need to join the bell keepers covenant to avoid the dwarves spawning if I try to go that way? I know I can still be invaded otherwise

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Mariposa posted:

I have some sunlight medals now; do I have to go back to the statue to rank up and get the rewards, or what? Nothing was added to my inventory when I reached 10 and 20 medals.

Yeah you have to offer them at the Covenant. The medals seem to do nothing after rank 3, since I can't offer them anymore.

Jose posted:

I'm not doing well against the Lost Sinner. Do I need to join the bell keepers covenant to avoid the dwarves spawning if I try to go that way? I know I can still be invaded otherwise

Being in the covenant won't save you from the dwarves OR the invaders.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You have to offer your medals to the statue in a dialog option. One at a time, for all 30. :shepface:

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm trying to get summoned by the LGK and these jerks won't stop inviting me into their worlds to kill them! :arghfist::downs:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mariposa posted:

Like every other covenant, you must go offer the items to the shiniest God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Artificer posted:

Yeah you have to offer them at the Covenant. The medals seem to do nothing after rank 3, since I can't offer them anymore.

Being in the covenant won't save you from the dwarves OR the invaders.

Guess I'll just try to run through it then and hope for the best. Not being able to target the lost sinner at distance when I'm only using soul arrow/great soul arrow is proving to be somewhat hard