Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Jose posted:

Guess I'll just try to run through it then and hope for the best. Not being able to target the lost sinner at distance when I'm only using soul arrow/great soul arrow is proving to be somewhat hard

Mind the arrows and bombs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much loving poise do you need to not get instantly stunlocked by one hit? Melee PvP in this game seems to boil down to whoever has the better weapon for stunlocking and hits first, because every fight I just get combod by someone using some big sword and die because the game won't let me dodge away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jaysus Christ, the boss of Earthen Peak got WORKED by that NPC summon. :stare:

Makes me want to dump all my Faith and go Strength + Pyromancy, actually. Does Pyromancy get a fire weapon enchant?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Though that reminds me, for those that don't know you can actually do a lot of creative stuff with tattoos. Since you can move them to anywhere on your face and resize them in various ways, you can use them to make stuff like masks or full face paint. Its pretty nifty.

Yeah, this was something I discovered this weekend. I made the lipstick demon from Insidious using one of the tattoos. A shame claw weapons suck in this game.

I couldn't get a picture of it tho (print screen doesn't seem to work and when I paste into photoshop I just get a white screen).

How is everyone getting screenshots?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Makes me want to dump all my Faith and go Strength + Pyromancy, actually. Does Pyromancy get a fire weapon enchant?

Yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

And there goes a Soul Vessel! :v:

(I'm presuming none of the pyromancies need much faith or int to cast, and don't scale too well off of them. I hope that's true :ohdear:)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, this was something I discovered this weekend. I made the lipstick demon from Insidious using one of the tattoos. A shame claw weapons suck in this game.

I couldn't get a picture of it tho (print screen doesn't seem to work and when I paste into photoshop I just get a white screen).

How is everyone getting screenshots?

F12. It takes a screenshot in any steam game. You can take multiples and it'll show you all of them in a convenient viewer when you quit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Really dig how well the judgement set meshes with Lucatiel's

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

How much loving poise do you need to not get instantly stunlocked by one hit? Melee PvP in this game seems to boil down to whoever has the better weapon for stunlocking and hits first, because every fight I just get combod by someone using some big sword and die because the game won't let me dodge away.

List of breakpoints here. Some weapons will just always poisebreak as well, for example pretty much all halberds and ultra greatswords.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Kanos posted:

The Black Dragon Armor is actually pretty loving excellent from a protection standpoint considering how insanely light it is. It gives around 500 to all physical resists and pretty impressive magic resists while weighing a total of like 9 pounds or something, which is less than most medium chestplates on their own. It has no poise and it doesn't compare to an upgraded suit of real armor defensively, but it's an absolutely fantastic way to give yourself some decent defense while skimping on VIT. The only real downside is giving up your head slot so you miss out on the various cast speed/spell use hoods.

It also looks rad as gently caress. You're telling me you'd rather turn into an idiotic giraffe-necked lizardman instead of doing an awesome power rangers transformation into gold/black dragon plate? I feel like a superhero when I dragon transform now.

It does look rad as gently caress, but its not useful enough for me to give up my precious armor.

I'd rather just turn into a rad as gently caress dragon-man.

I'd also like it more if roar and breath fire were worth doing at all.

Plus you can't take it off :tizzy:

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 5, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

(I'm presuming none of the pyromancies need much faith or int to cast, and don't scale too well off of them. I hope that's true :ohdear:)

I thought they scaled off of both faith and int? Not sure how much though.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The animation for climbing ladders when pressing B is so silly, it looks like the game is on fast forward. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are Soul vessels the items for respeccing? how many do you get? I quite like being a mage but man all but the first boss so far have beaten me fairly easily and required me doing co-op to get past

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Begemot posted:

F12. It takes a screenshot in any steam game. You can take multiples and it'll show you all of them in a convenient viewer when you quit.

You can also turn off the hud in the start menu options so you don't have a bunch of crap blocking your shot.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Artificer posted:

I thought they scaled off of both faith and int? Not sure how much though.

They do scale off of the average of faith and int, but to my understanding it's not a whole lot anyways. Especially when compared to miracles, sorceries, or hexes. The most important thing is the level of your pyromancer's flame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Not until NG+

Ciaphas posted:

Eh, this is pretty wrong. They do indeed scale off int and faith. Upgrading flame helps, but you want to get your fire bonus up too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

BONFIRE ASTETICS

USE EM

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

TGLT posted:

They do scale off of the average of faith and int, but to my understanding it's not a whole lot anyways. Especially when compared to miracles, sorceries, or hexes. The most important thing is the level of your pyromancer's flame.

Someone linked a spreadsheet of various FIRE BNS stats and how they affected damage and I think the end result was that the minimum vs the maximum was a difference of about 50% damage (i.e. at 99 Int/99 Faith you would do 1500 vs 1000 with 1 Int/1 Faith). So yeah leveling your Flame is probably more important than your stats in the case of Pyromancy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zaphod42 posted:

Not until NG+

Its just an ascetic away.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

voltron lion force posted:

Its just an ascetic away.

Cool. I haven't tested which things you can get from ascetics or not yet.

Still, important to note it requires asceticing one of your zones.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Besides the earthen peak > iron keep transition, one thing stuck out to me as being really weirdly placed.
Whats the deal with the shrine of winter?, why does it require these souls, at what point are you told by anyone to go to this shrine up a somewhat hidden path and what purpose does it fill that being able to walk over 2 feet of rubble on the actual road or up a 2 foot hill wouldn't of accomplished without needing to do multiple hours of dungeon crawling and hundreds of monsters killed?

Just seems like something that should of been obvious, out in the open in majula blocking a tunnel, or that didn't look like it could be skipped by shortly walking around it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When enemies despawn, is it permanent?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jose posted:

When enemies despawn, is it permanent?
Yes, until you use a bonfire ascetic in their associated bonfire (or go to the next NG tier, obviously).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, this is pretty wrong. They do indeed scale off int and faith. Upgrading flame helps, but you want to get your fire bonus up too.

The scaling off of int and faith is paltry and hardly worth obsessing over unless you're going full pyromancy and want to get as much damage out of it as possible. For casual use, pyromancy doesn't require those stats at all and benefits far more from attunement investment.

VVV It was completely broken in Dark Souls 1 so I'm not sure how that could be the case.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 5, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fair enough. I never found 'casual' use of pyromancy to be very effective in Dark Souls 1, but I haven't tried pyro as much in 2 I'll admit.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Besides the earthen peak > iron keep transition, one thing stuck out to me as being really weirdly placed.
Whats the deal with the shrine of winter?, why does it require these souls, at what point are you told by anyone to go to this shrine up a somewhat hidden path and what purpose does it fill that being able to walk over 2 feet of rubble on the actual road or up a 2 foot hill wouldn't of accomplished without needing to do multiple hours of dungeon crawling and hundreds of monsters killed?

Just seems like something that should of been obvious, out in the open in majula blocking a tunnel, or that didn't look like it could be skipped by shortly walking around it.

Yeah, but to me that transition is like the Majula -> Heide's transition. There's a cave and its kinda implied that you spent longer travelling in the cave than you literally experienced as a player. I'm more willing to suspend that disbelief than looking at Earthen Peak from Harvest and not seeing anything above it. Its not as good as Dark Souls 1 where everything was consistently realistic distances from everything else, proper Euclidean space, sure, but Dark Souls 1 is literally the only video game I can think of that did that. Not even Demon's Souls.

The doors that say "produce the symbol of the king" kiiiiinda make sense in-game but not really. But I can accept that. So same with the Shrine of Winter.

You're right though, but if we're gonna nitpick then there are a few other places you can too. To me the Iron Keep is just a lot more unforgivable than everything else. But maybe I'm crazy :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It seems my timing in reinvesting into fire was... poor. Iron Keep is hot :saddowns:

Oh well!

I haven't ascetic'd anything yet, is the increase in difficulty enough to give me huge problems? I want to ascetic wherever the fire enchant is, if I can.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Are the shield + pike enemies in Forest of Fallen Giants at the very beginning of the game kinda bugged? For some reason their shields seem to block way more than they should even in mid attack and when they're not raised.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

My next gimmick character is going to be 'The console peasant', When I invade I'll be wearing full peasants gear, immolating myself and charging at my enemies while on fire.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats the standard order of the game? I did the forest of fallen giants, then the lost bastille and then Sinner's rise. I just kept going since each area followed the previous one and other than bosses nothing was too hard to kill. I did have to make use of the lift on the things near the Lost Sinner boss though

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's my best bow option if I'm a faith build and have 16 str and 12 dex? Probably a lightning Bow of Want? If I can pump some dex obviously.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Are the shield + pike enemies in Forest of Fallen Giants at the very beginning of the game kinda bugged? For some reason their shields seem to block way more than they should even in mid attack and when they're not raised.

Any attack in which they use their shield counts as having their shield raised, as far as I can tell (i.e. they have a shield bash/overhead slam that puts them in a "blocking" state). One other enemy you'll encounter later in the game (Syan Knights) has this problem sometimes but it's not nearly as obvious/common.

Elysiume posted:

What's my best bow option if I'm a faith build and have 16 str and 12 dex? Probably a lightning Bow of Want? If I can pump some dex obviously.

You can't aim Bow of Want, its L1/LB makes it shoot a fancy lightning arrow. This may affect your decision. L2/LT aims.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 5, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Elysiume posted:

What's my best bow option if I'm a faith build and have 16 str and 12 dex? Probably a lightning Bow of Want?

You won't meet the requirements for it.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
The same guy just summoned me twice to beat the covetous demon within 15 minutes, and managed to die both times. I can't believe it. I've never seen anyone else die in that room.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

It seems my timing in reinvesting into fire was... poor. Iron Keep is hot :saddowns:

Oh well!

I haven't ascetic'd anything yet, is the increase in difficulty enough to give me huge problems? I want to ascetic wherever the fire enchant is, if I can.

It depends on the individual bonfire. The first one in Earthen Peak, for example, just adds some new skeletons. Some boss fights change, and some new black phantoms appear, but if you're around the end game anyways then it shouldn't be too difficult.

Jose posted:

Whats the standard order of the game? I did the forest of fallen giants, then the lost bastille and then Sinner's rise. I just kept going since each area followed the previous one and other than bosses nothing was too hard to kill. I did have to make use of the lift on the things near the Lost Sinner boss though

Except for Shaded Ruins, you can pretty much tackle any of them at any time in any order. Huntsman's Copse, off of the underground route that led to Heide's Tower, leads to some very useful items though so it's a good place to go to next. The other two big boss routes are shorter, but don't give anything as valuable as an item you get near the end of the Huntsman's Copse route.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Motherfucker posted:

My next gimmick character is going to be 'The console peasant', When I invade I'll be wearing full peasants gear, immolating myself and charging at my enemies while on fire.

I got some +5 Peasant Attire from that red phantom with a pickaxe. Thanks I guess.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

You see that tunnel near the cat? Not the gaping hole, the tunnel with the locked contraption near Victor's stone? Go there, down the stairs, ring the bell\pull the lever. I think you were supposed to go there immediatly after Forest of the Giants, it's the only logical explanation for why that area has such easy bosses compared to Sinner's Rise or Bastille.

Also, twinblades are amazing and i can't believe i never used them until now. You look like Darth Vader and you stun lock the hell out of an PvPer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

Except for Shaded Ruins, you can pretty much tackle any of them at any time in any order. Huntsman's Copse, off of the underground route that led to Heide's Tower, leads to some very useful items though so it's a good place to go to next. The other two big boss routes are shorter, but don't give anything as valuable as an item you get near the end of the Huntsman's Copse route.

I've not done Heide's tower yet, do I need to do that first for huntsman's copse? I feel like I'm barely upgrading my gear compared to DS1 when I was a pyromancer with an iaito and whatever the +stamina shield was but I might be misremembering how long things took in that. I'm still using the starting staff just at +4 for now because I don't want to risk wasting anything important on it

Mans posted:

You see that tunnel near the cat? Not the gaping hole, the tunnel with the locked contraption near Victor's stone? Go there, down the stairs, ring the bell\pull the lever. I think you were supposed to go there immediatly after Forest of the Giants, it's the only logical explanation for why that area has such easy bosses compared to Sinner's Rise or Bastille.

I just kept on going when somewhere new opened but I had to co-op both bosses in those areas because I was getting nowhere alone. Maybe if I'd had new spells or equipment it might have helped

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Umberger posted:

You can't aim Bow of Want, its L1/LB makes it shoot a fancy lightning arrow. This may affect your decision.

You can aim Bow of Want, it's just L2 instead.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Jose posted:

I've not done Heide's tower yet, do I need to do that first for huntsman's copse? I feel like I'm barely upgrading my gear compared to DS1 when I was a pyromancer with an iaito and whatever the +stamina shield was but I might be misremembering how long things took in that. I'm still using the starting staff just at +4 for now because I don't want to risk wasting anything important on it

You do. It's a very short area, and when you kill the boss you'll meet an NPC. Exhaust their dialogue and they'll move back to the "weird contraption" that was right down the stairs from Majula. They'll be open to manipulate the machine for 2000 souls (or you can kill them and get the key to do it yourself). Not only does this open the way to Huntsman's Copse, it also allows you to access a hex vendor who will sell you a staff which you'll be using pretty much the rest of the game (and if you have 20 Int/20 Faith he gives you a really good hex staff and a sweet set of armor).

Kanos posted:

You can aim Bow of Want, it's just L2 instead.

I never thought to try that. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Awww The Rotten was just angry that he couldnt put his statue back together :( Poor fella...