Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

A ticket didn't come in...

My boss has enforced a strict "no ticket, no service" rule which has been great for making sure we at least get something from a user when an issue arises. If they're locked out or their thin client has some kind of issue, then they'll call or come by, and we'll ask them to submit a ticket after the fact. Boss doesn't want us opening tickets on behalf of users - it'll make them complacent and reliant upon us to do what they should be doing (hell yes).

I'm the boss in our office and I have been trying to beat this into my team. "If there's no ticket, there's no problem." And they just do not get it. "It makes us look bad. It's not customer friendly." Well, it's not metric friendly either because the tickets we open to ourselves don't count for some dumb reason. So when our director looks at just the time worked instead of number of tickets closed, he's going to decide that we don't need as many techs.

I've never had to write someone up, but I guess I'm going to over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

blackswordca posted:

So 5 new collage students started today.

That in itself is not too exciting, though three of the students from last years batch have "left the company" with a fourth on personal leave for an unknown amount of time. Between them they were sitting on almost 150 tickets which have been redistributed.

Why didn't you anticipate them being fired and telepathically extract the required information from them and do the tickets yourself? :colbert:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

President Ark posted:

Why didn't you anticipate them being fired and telepathically extract the required information from them and do the tickets yourself? :colbert:

sorry, its my fault :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

President Ark posted:

Working in the background so you have a solution for when poo poo hits the fan and can dig someone else out of a hole they made for themselves is pretty close to entrapment.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Slate Slabrock posted:

I'm the boss in our office and I have been trying to beat this into my team. "If there's no ticket, there's no problem." And they just do not get it. "It makes us look bad. It's not customer friendly." Well, it's not metric friendly either because the tickets we open to ourselves don't count for some dumb reason. So when our director looks at just the time worked instead of number of tickets closed, he's going to decide that we don't need as many techs.

I've never had to write someone up, but I guess I'm going to over this.

The real problem here is metrics. If ever there was a completely hosed-up and incompetent way to measure performance.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sirotan posted:

After months of asking, I've finally been given approval to order some replacement desktops for the 9 or so machines left in my organization that are still running Windows XP (and were too ancient to upgrade).

Feels good man. :unsmith:

I'm currently fighting this battle. The conversation has been going like this:

Boss: How's the windows 7 migration going?
Me: I've upgraded all the machines that are worth upgrading. The rest are ancient and need to be replaced. We would need X machines at a cost of $Y.
Boss: I'll see if I can get that approved.

Then a week or two passes, and...we have the same conversation again. And again. With no actual purchase approval. This poo poo costs money . :argh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

J posted:

Then a week or two passes, and...we have the same conversation again. And again. With no actual purchase approval. This poo poo costs money . :argh:

Think of all the money he's saving by Stonewalling you!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Cubelodyte posted:

This gem just landed in our queue about a minute ago.

SOMEHOW my laptop got smashed and now looks like a taco! I have NO IDEA how it got that way! I just looked away for a moment and suddenly it was like that! I didn't do anything! Golly!

:fuckoff:

First, we have to troubleshoot the issue. Was there a loud "OOOOOH YEAH!" heard before discovering the problem?

<please pretend there is a picture of Randy Savage mid-elbow drop here - work decided to block most image-hosting sites recently :smithicide:>

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Are there tire tracks through the middle?

Please say there are tire tracks through the middle.

Or a footprint.

Dunno yet. I'm out sick today, but asking one of the guys to send me a picture as soon as the thing gets in.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Cubelodyte posted:

This gem just landed in our queue about a minute ago.

SOMEHOW my laptop got smashed and now looks like a taco! I have NO IDEA how it got that way! I just looked away for a moment and suddenly it was like that! I didn't do anything! Golly!

:fuckoff:

I can't remember who, and he'll probably chime in on this thread moaning back at me, but in the laptop buying thread there was a guy who posted a photo of his completely ruined HP laptop, covered in duct tape, saying he'd always treated it well.

It was filthy and covered in scuff marks - that's not something that just happens to a laptop that's left alone.

I think people don't realise how much damage they're doing to the machines they have.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I was supposed to be back on terra firma tonight, but then the fog came in and we had less than 650 ft/200m of visibility, so I have to spend an extra night on the rig. The upgrade to Windows 7 computers have gone tons better than I expected, everyone picked up their own computer from the store, we copied the favorites and desktops off of the old ones and onto the new ones after we connected them, and then it was just showing the people how to start Outlook and their Citrix apps. We didn't even have to deal with the leftover boxes and trash.

And oh god the food, I've been having three kinds of desserts after every meal!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

evobatman posted:

We didn't even have to deal with the leftover boxes and trash.

For some reason I'm just picturing someone pushing a pile of cardboard boxes and styrafoam inserts into the ocean.

Thanks for killing dolphins, jerk.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

For some reason I'm just picturing someone pushing a pile of cardboard boxes and styrafoam inserts into the ocean.

Thanks for killing dolphins, jerk.

I'm just going to place all of these light weight boxes out here in the open. If the wind happens to take it then I didn't litter, Mother nature did.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HalloKitty posted:

I can't remember who, and he'll probably chime in on this thread moaning back at me, but in the laptop buying thread there was a guy who posted a photo of his completely ruined HP laptop, covered in duct tape, saying he'd always treated it well.

It was filthy and covered in scuff marks - that's not something that just happens to a laptop that's left alone.

I think people don't realise how much damage they're doing to the machines they have.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=212&perpage=40#post429016786

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

HalloKitty posted:

It's probably incremental over years. They have it, it's fine, they take care of it then maybe a couple months later they ding it a little. Still works, just cosmetic damage, it's fine, they forget about the ding, then another couple months later another dent. A few months later another one. The damage happens gradually enough that eventually you get a computer that looks like it was dropped out of a train and the guy doesn't see that because of how slow the change was.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

My sister's laptop looks pretty similar to that now. Lesson she learned: Don't take your laptop into the bathroom to play music while you shower. Especially since HPs personal use laptops seem to be held together almost entirely by adhesive.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

On a scale of One to "Oh Dear God No," how badly do I not want to be the SharePoint Administrator?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If you have to ask I think you already know the answer.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kensei posted:

On a scale of One to "Oh Dear God No," how badly do I not want to be the SharePoint Administrator?
Look around you, which can you reach first, all of the liquor or a loaded pistol?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

kensei posted:

Sharepoint is the worst possible application to do what it does, except for all of the others.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A ticket came in, a client is having problems with duplicate contacts, 350k of them. I'm still not sure how this happened. Try recreating the outlook profile, nope they are all server side.

Another client has two monitors mounted on ergotron arms, but one looks blurry. Talk to someone else to test the screens and they look fine. They are 19" dell displays. I suspect this person has poor vision and has a legitimate need for a larger screen. Is the term for this ergonomics?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kensei posted:

I wrote my own java app to manage internal documents to get away from SharePoint.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
If you're truly dealing with a situation where someone has special equipment needs due to physical problems/different-abledness/damage/mutation, then yes, it's ergonomics. At least that's how my employer frames it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Whenever someone wants a bigger screen due to eyesight problems, I suggest investigating ergonomics and accessibility options before getting a bigger screen.

In the back of my head I wonder if they really have vision issues or if they just want a bigger screen. I think the safe option is to assume they have a vision issue.

If they really have a vision problem then increasing text size, high contrast modes, alternative resolutions or showing them how to use the magnifier are going to make a big difference.

If they really have a vision problem then they'll be excited. Once you've found the most useful options, you might still need to get them a new screen.

If they just want a new monitor because Frank in Accounting got one, they'll be very frustrated by the helpful attitude.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Whenever someone wants a bigger screen due to eyesight problems, I suggest investigating ergonomics and accessibility options before getting a bigger screen.

In the back of my head I wonder if they really have vision issues or if they just want a bigger screen. I think the safe option is to assume they have a vision issue.

If they really have a vision problem then increasing text size, high contrast modes, alternative resolutions or showing them how to use the magnifier are going to make a big difference.

If they really have a vision problem then they'll be excited. Once you've found the most useful options, you might still need to get them a new screen.

If they just want a new monitor because Frank in Accounting got one, they'll be very frustrated by the helpful attitude.
At my last job, a few people who all happened to sit near each other complained that after they got Windows 7, their screen was all blurry. I wrote them up a big old e-mail on fiddling with ClearType, and they replied back almost immediately that it didn't help. We sent a guy out there to do it for them, and not only they were surprised that it had more than one A/B screen, but what looked the best, according to them, was the default setting.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
The dual boot system image for 23" iMacs at my old university lab had Cleartype off by default and it drove me nuts :argh:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Just the other week, I had to give a lady one of my 20" Dell Ultrasharps. She's running it at 1024x768 and has the largest fonts that XP offers in use. And this is with her wearing glasses. That poor monitor. :(

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I've got two users with vision problems, one using a 21" monitor, the other using two 23" monitors, both using zoomtext, and both work by enlarging everything by 2x at the minimum and then plastering their faces up against the monitor.

One is a doctor who treats patients :ssh: I can't complain about him, he's actually really polite and understanding with his issues.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You have the perfect use case for a 27" 1080p monitor.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

An example of the quality emails we receive on a daily basis. You have to wonder how these people have managed to survive as long as they have. Luckily she's only responsible for teaching children and not something important.

DisMafugga fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I got on the perpetual YotJ train and landed a new position after I quit my old job at a small managed services company. I was there for 2 years.

I now work for an IT team for a single company, and its great. I mean I have been in this role before, but this orgis pretty decent; the director understands the value in IT and dumps money into it. Hes also an MS fanboy, so all our poo poo is current: 50 servers running Server 2012, workstations, tablets and laptops all on 8.1. we have plenty of encouragement to study at work, a MAME cabinet and a pool table for slacking off, and a buy your own laptop scheme so you choose the device you want within the specified available models.

Most of our employees are at the very least technically minded or have computer knowledge as we deal with computer products and software, so you dont need to break poo poo down into car analogies all day so they understand. No "my hard drive wont turn on" or people typing URLs into google.

Ive been here for a month and basically I just come in, sit down, read our 5 open tickets, pick one to do and then spend the rest of the day studying.

oh, also pay rise, half hour less work each day, underground parking and a bonus scheme based on SLAs that I set in agreement with my manager.

I kind of feel like I hit the literal jackpot here, finally out of those lovely jobs that you just bandaid poo poo over and over because theres no time to research a solution, or no money to upgrade hardware so doing everything half-assed until it collapses under its own weight. Phone hardly rings, all tickets are logged by the users on our intranet.

Its refreshing to say the least.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Laserface posted:

Reasons that I hate you

You landed the jackpot. And I hate you so much. Because this is what my last job SOUNDED like, before it turned into hell.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

DisMafugga posted:

An example of the quality emails we receive on a daily basis. You have to wonder how these people have managed to survive as long as the have. Luckily she's only responsible for teaching children and not something important.

I hope she doesn't teach English.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FireSight posted:

You landed the jackpot. And I hate you so much. Because this is what my last job SOUNDED like, before it turned into hell.

Its the pay off from working helldesk for too long.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Laserface posted:

Its the pay off from working helldesk for too long.

Every time you people post success stories I throw out an extra 5 or so resumes on top of what I usually throw out.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

to be perfectly fair, I do miss my old workmates, as I fit in really well, but the constant stream of calls from different users of different clients with different systems (anything from a single XP box in a doctors surgery up to a 10-server domain across the entire state with 400+ staff) was just too much to focus on correctly fixing an issue.

it was ludicrous to think that any single one of our clients except the top 3 payers was getting equal or even fair support for the money.

Projects were handled by the manager and the 2IC entirely. "oh, you can do this, here you go" instead of "hey Laserface, you havent done this, lets give you a go and step you through it if you need"

Not only that, we had to log every single minute of every single day. That alone is the best part. not having to accurately track my time for every single ticket is such a relief.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Laserface posted:

not having to accurately track my time for every single ticket is such a relief.

You now realize that everyone who has to track their time has added you to their hate list. What's up next - free food?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ugh, tracking how much time I spend playing Puzzle Quest :argh:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You now realize that everyone who has to track their time has added you to their hate list. What's up next - free food?

we have a dope-rear end coffee machine.

and yeah first week I was there we had 2 pizza days.

Sorry guys :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So, a ticket came in:

user can able to log in to this application just so happpened that the navigation on this page is the issue or the connection on this

:catstare:

Laserface posted:

we have a dope-rear end coffee machine.

and yeah first week I was there we had 2 pizza days.

Sorry guys :(

Get back in your pod!

• Locked thread