Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

kurona_bright posted:

Are you joking? I can't tell.

Obviously, because he called it a sports game and everyone knows Baseball is not a sport. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
To me it isn't really about baseball, none of the games themselves actually involve the game of baseball itself, they're all just little timing or reflex score-attack minigames. I have no idea about the ins and outs of baseball, but it's satisfying as hell to hear the crack of the bat when you get a perfect swing in the batting minigames.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah, baseball is just a loose wrapper around fun minigames and helping a very depressed dog be less of a garbage pile.

It's not even microtransactions in the normal sense really, it's not like "buy 500 Baseball Coins (BEST VALUE!) and spend them with Rusty to play games, buy more when you run out!" or "you are very tired from playing baseball! wait 24 hours ~OR~ spend five bucks to keep playing!". It's a very cohesive package of minigames with a really weird story that's pay as you go. People just see not paying up front and have a reactionary freakout and dismiss it.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

That game looks so good and it's such bullshit that we don't get it (in Australia too).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, it's a $16~ game that appears to be rather charming from videos I have seen of it. Of course all we can do here in the Old World is posture, sneer, and try to rub on your face that we got the Pocket Football game instead. Which is rather good for what it is, too, but why can't we have both?

I mean, I have no idea why we couldn't get the Disney Animal Crossing-clone thingy even though Disney is so huge here, or why a photo taking game with chibi robots would be considered unsellable. Rusty's I can only imagine it's because "baseball" is on the name.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I think we'll probably get the Disney game in a bit, they just haven't announced it yet. Looks like there would be a lot of text to translate.

As for the baseball game, they've probably just decided we don't like baseball so haven't bothered with it. Shame.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rusty's not being EU is a fair trade off for NA not getting that Pocket Football Sim game which I hear is pretty fun

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL-land still doesn't have the new Chibi Robo game, either. Dunno what's up with that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 8):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Abyss - €1.99 / £1.79
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Volleyball (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 from May 8-27
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.

3DS eSHOP
    Denpa Men 3: Rise of Digi-Toll - €9.99 / £8.99
    Hidden Expedition Titanic - €11.99 / £10.79
    Jewel Quest 6: The Sapphire Dragon - €11.99 / £10.79
    Candy Match 3 - €7.99 / £7.19
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Clu Clu Land (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Mario Golf World Tour on the eShop, get Mario Golf (GBC) for free! (promo runs until May 29)
    Buy Mario Golf World Tour DLC Season Pass - €11.99 / £10.79 until May 31
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Tappingo (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.69 until May 15
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until May 31

(not mentioned: the same drat shovelware that goes on sale every week)

Dempa Men 3 might end up being the last in the series, or so I've heard... apparently the devs think the look/tone of the game is a bad match for western audiences, so they're thinking about rebooting. Hmm.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
So there really is no GB Mega Man games for PAL this month?! loving hell, I was looking forward to getting Mega Man V...

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
I played the demo portion of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball and while I enjoyed it I kind of felt it was kind of evil with how it tries to manipulate you into buying the games. I don't want to buy a game because I feel bad for a fake cartoon dog.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dempa Men 3 might end up being the last in the series, or so I've heard... apparently the devs think the look/tone of the game is a bad match for western audiences, so they're thinking about rebooting. Hmm.

As it is, the RPG side is more or less oversaturated with games from my perspective. I just don't see the point buying more of it, since I have a backlog of RPGs waiting me to finish. I don't need more to shame me further.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Huh, that's weird. I actually like the weirdness and the silly tone of the second :(

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
NOE have just posted on twitter that if you buy Kirby triple deluxe on the e shop before July 13th you'll get a download code for the GB Kirby's dreamland 2. With this, Mario kart and Mario golf I'm liking the whole "buy a new game get a virtual console predecessor free."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shelf Adventure posted:

NOE have just posted on twitter that if you buy Kirby triple deluxe on the e shop before July 13th you'll get a download code for the GB Kirby's dreamland 2. With this, Mario kart and Mario golf I'm liking the whole "buy a new game get a virtual console predecessor free."

It'd be especially nice if they'd do it as part of a preorder deal- preorder the game and they throw in a VC predecessor to play until it comes out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I played the poo poo out of Kirby's Dreamland 2 as a kid. I don't really have any desire to buy Triple Deluxe but that's a pretty great incentive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Gameboy Advance Virtual Console really ran outta gas, huh.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Quest For Glory II posted:

A lackluster virtual console offering from Nintendo, who could have seen that coming?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look we put out ten games in a month what more could you want? Do you know how hard putting up a game is? I have to drag and drop the game to the upload folder. I have to tell Mike to update the website. I have to have Carol scan the manual. It's a real pain in the rear end.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

That's an unfair characterization. It would be more accurate to say that Nintendo manufactured it without a gas tank, rolled it out of the garage with one big push, and are now content to let it sit there and rust.

Maybe it's a bit hasty to judge them so harshly after only a couple of months, but probably not. I'd be willing to give them a little more time to prove themselves if this isn't how they do it every single time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Even if Nintendo were to say at E3 "We promise 5 games a week on Virtual Console for the rest of time", I know that it would only last 2 weeks and they'd go back to one every other week immediately.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Even if Nintendo were to say at E3 "We promise 5 games a week on Virtual Console for the rest of time", I know that it would only last 2 weeks and they'd go back to one every other week immediately.

Good thing they didn't do that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They did, however, announce a system was coming to Virtual Console, then took over a year to actually bring it to Virtual Console, only to drop it after one month. Hey I wonder where Nintendo 64 games are? Oh still not here, even though they were announced for Wii U in 2012. Well,

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

They did, however, announce a system was coming to Virtual Console, then took over a year to actually bring it to Virtual Console, only to drop it after one month. Hey I wonder where Nintendo 64 games are? Oh still not here, even though they were announced for Wii U in 2012. Well,

or those gamecube games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Were they? I don't remember them ever actually confirming N64 games which I always thought was weird, but figured it was because they were porting so many to 3ds to sell for higher prices at the time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Remember when they announced Nintendo DS for Virtual Console back in January? Huh seems like it's really easy for Nintendo to just announce poo poo whether they feel like actually doing it right away or not. You just announce it and Nintendo fans feel good and then you just put it off and don't worry about it.

greatn posted:

Were they? I don't remember them ever actually confirming N64 games which I always thought was weird, but figured it was because they were porting so many to 3ds to sell for higher prices at the time.
It's right there on Nintendo's website, and it's been there through several website design iterations, since before the system even came out:
https://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think there was a Direct sometime in 2013 where Iwata mentioned they were working on N64 titles, but there was nothing concrete announced and there's been no visible movement.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

greatn posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/
"Tip: Check back regularly for the latest releases, including the future addition of titles from the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo 64 systems."

N64 releases were announced in like JANUARY 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do you guys not remember the Nintendo of old that would announce games years in advance? This is why they don't do that anymore though it sounds like they're reverting back to their broken promises because 93% of the time it seems like they only work on like 2 games every few months.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a shitload of gba titles have been constantly re-rated the last few months so it's just a matter of when they all actually drop, until then save the vitriol and hate circlejerks for the other wiiu "thread"

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

a shitload of gba titles have been constantly re-rated the last few months so it's just a matter of when they all actually drop, until then save the vitriol and hate circlejerks for the other wiiu "thread"

That's cool and totally makes up for loving NES Volleyball at 5€ being the only VC release this week. Sorry the truth hurts you so much.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

That's cool and totally makes up for loving NES Volleyball at 5€ being the only VC release this week. Sorry the truth hurts you so much.

no poo poo but do we really need to read the same old boring loving arguments in two different threads, you big baby

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

MinibarMatchman posted:

no poo poo but do we really need to read the same old boring loving arguments in two different threads, you big baby

It gives people more opportunities to poo poo on Nintendo, so of course.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I fail to see how "No GBA releases this week" in any way equals "Nintendo has dropped support of the GBA Virtual Console". Is this just people being whiny and/or paranoid? Or has there been some manner of announcement saying that nothing else is coming?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
A few things:

Eurogoons can buy Kirby Triple Deluxe digitally and get a free download code for Dream Land 2 until 13/7.

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails will be getting a NA and EU release next week, but no Oz date yet.

Yacht Club Games have got all the apparent bugs worked out of Shovel Knight, and have a final submission candidate, if anyone was wondering why that was taking so long.

Sub Wars is getting a considerable update this month. New stage, more subs, bonuses for consecutive victories in Matched Skills Battles, penalties for friendly fire.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 5, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

jivjov posted:

I fail to see how "No GBA releases this week" in any way equals "Nintendo has dropped support of the GBA Virtual Console". Is this just people being whiny and/or paranoid? Or has there been some manner of announcement saying that nothing else is coming?

By "drop support" they mean "treat it like the rest of the Virtual Console," which is only one step up from dropping support entirely, really.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

jivjov posted:

Yep.

Several more GBA games have already been (re)rated, so we know they're coming.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

With no GBA VC release this week, it is 100% confirmed that Nintendo is making the next Mario game for the iPhone. RIP Nintendo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

With Aria of Sorrow rated, it just means we are one step closer to Konami's greatest GBA game: Ninja Five-O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I'm fairly sure Japan just got a new batch of GBA games.

Which would continue the trend of "Japan gets prime Virtual Console treatment. Rest of the world can have some scraps"

Edit:
YEP!

May 1st Releases posted:

Zelda no Densetsu: Fushigi no Bōshi (The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Game Boy Advance) - 702 yen
Hoshi no Kirby: Yume no Izumi Deluxe (Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, Game Boy Advance) - 702 yen
Mario and Luigi RPG (Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Game Boy Advance) - 702 yen
Mario Tennis Advance ( Mario Tennis: Power Tour, Game Boy Advance) - 702 yen
Metroid Fushion (Game Boy Advance) - 702 yen
Wario Land Advance: Yōki no Otakara (Wario Land 4, Game Boy Advance) - 702 yen

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 5, 2014