Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Doin' some streaming of DS today. On my first play through and ust beat the Duke Freja's Something or Other - giant scary spider and got my first big soul. Then proceeded to jump down into the Majula well a bunch and died trying to get shinies!
twitch.tv/rahtas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jose posted:

I've not done Heide's tower yet, do I need to do that first for huntsman's copse? I feel like I'm barely upgrading my gear compared to DS1 when I was a pyromancer with an iaito and whatever the +stamina shield was but I might be misremembering how long things took in that. I'm still using the starting staff just at +4 for now because I don't want to risk wasting anything important on it

As some one said, there's an NPC you talk to after the main Heide's Tower boss to open the path to Huntsman's Copse. There's also a neat optional boss you should try as well.

Titanite is hella rare compared to Dark Souls, but the game seems to take that into account so don't worry too much about feeling under-upgraded. It also happens that the Huntsman's Copse route leads to another useful NPC, who progressively sells better titanite as you get further into the game. Also, since you probably have a low soul memory, go join the Bell Keepers back in Lost Bastille. You get a shiny titanite chunk every time you win, and you're probably going to win.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, I was thinking that magic might trivialize a lot of bosses, with or without phantoms, but I got to wondering just how you're supposed to die to some of them anyway. Like the Demon of Song or Covetous Demon. You almost have to go out of your way to die to them. At least DoS looks cool and weird.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright goons, fess up. Who is constantly throwing themselves off cliffs? Because the bloodstains near Majula's cliff haven't dwindled since the game released, they actually grow bigger every day.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, I was thinking that magic might trivialize a lot of bosses, with or without phantoms, but I got to wondering just how you're supposed to die to some of them anyway. Like the Demon of Song or Covetous Demon. You almost have to go out of your way to die to them. At least DoS looks cool and weird.
I got eaten by Covetous the first couple times because I was melee, was hugging him too close, and didn't rotate fast enough when he did. At that point, you're pretty much going to die while trying to fiddle with the UI panels. And Demon of Song hits HARD if you're in front of him. Even with a good shield he wrecked me a couple times.

If you know what you're doing, sure, it's pretty easy to oneshot them. Buf if you're like most players and new to the boss, or totally undergeared, or generally just kind of bad/slow with your controls, it's very easy to die to pretty much anything in DS2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So after doing some bell cop work for chunks, I've come to the realization that I suck at hitting people. Not because they dodge my attacks but just because I...miss. Doesn't matter if I'm locked on or not, I always seem to whiff against human players and then get stunlocked because of the split second animation that keeps me from rolling after an attack. Any tricks to managing to consistently hit someone? I was using dual fists at the time.

Also, does any gear give a pyromancy boost other than the Lost Sinner's shackles?

Stringbean posted:

Awww The Rotten was just angry that he couldnt put his statue back together :( Poor fella...

I really want to know what the deal is with those statues. As far as I know Giligan is the only one who acknowledges them and he says they're just some old pagan custom, but there's obviously more to it than that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Thought they were translated from Japanese but apparently they're drawn by a fellow Finn who goes by the nick "Setz".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do I get Pate and Creighton to spawn? I talked to Pate in the Earthen Keep and Creighton near the chariot. Do I need to talk to him in the Shaded Woods too?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elysiume posted:

How do I get Pate and Creighton to spawn? I talked to Pate in the Earthen Keep and Creighton near the chariot. Do I need to talk to him in the Shaded Woods too?

Pretty sure you need to talk to them at every turn, Pate first appears in Forest of Fallen Giants as well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

:getin: http://fuckyeahpraisethesun.tumblr.com/

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Kanfy posted:

Thought they were translated from Japanese but apparently they're drawn by a fellow Finn who goes by the nick "Setz".

These are great. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my god :allears:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is the stone ring any good against the lost sinner? I haven't gotten enough hits on him to break his poise yet but if it's super high I'll switch over to blades.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dammit I know I should be wielding my Fire Longsword in the off-hand to compliment my main hand's weapon enchantment spell, but then I'm not using two broadswords at once and my sense of symmetry is completely ruined in the process. :qq:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elysiume posted:

Yes, you have to talk to Creighton in Shaded Woods. It's also easy to miss some of Pate's dialogue in Earthen Peak since he has some more to say after you do some stuff in there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So unless I'm missing some way to get high amounts of poise, it seems like there's no way to avoid stunlock bullshit in PvP other than not getting hit in the first place. You need roughly 80 poise to not be staggered by just a single attack from most weapons. The poise you get from endurance and adaptability is paltry, so you have to wear heavy armour. Anything short of full Haven's though still doesn't provide that much poise. Even if you do have a lot of poise, it takes 20 seconds to regenerate fully.

I'd like to be wrong about this since I'm trying to find a way to enjoy higher level PvP but its not working. Everyone just stun locks me or tries to kill me from across the room with sorcery. It doesn't matter that I'm good at dodging when one hit whether it be due to lag or whatever gets me stunned.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Internet Kraken posted:

So unless I'm missing some way to get high amounts of poise, it seems like there's no way to avoid stunlock bullshit in PvP other than not getting hit in the first place. You need roughly 80 poise to not be staggered by just a single attack from most weapons. The poise you get from endurance and adaptability is paltry, so you have to wear heavy armour. Anything short of full Haven's though still doesn't provide that much poise. Even if you do have a lot of poise, it takes 20 seconds to regenerate fully.

I'd like to be wrong about this since I'm trying to find a way to enjoy higher level PvP but its not working. Everyone just stun locks me or tries to kill me from across the room with sorcery. It doesn't matter that I'm good at dodging when one hit whether it be due to lag or whatever gets me stunned.

Unless people are running stunlock builds, which aren't terribly common but they exist, you should be able to always roll out after taking a second hit.

What's your weight and agility?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I really don't think Durability is a very good system in this game. Or, more specifically, I don't think it works well in the context of other design decisions. Durability being quite limited, in theory, encourages the use of multiple weapons. Except your ability to experiment and try out new weapons is severely curtailed by the lack of availability of Titanite Shards in the early game. I think they went overboard on the rarity of Titanite Shards. Large Titanite Shards and up are in a fine place in terms of rarity, but there's really no reason for the baseline entry level materials to be so sparse when you have a system in place specifically designed to encourage players to branch out and not just use the same drat weapon all the time forever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I bet most people unlock the vendor with infinite large titanite shards long before the one with infinite standard small ones.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Ariong posted:

Is the stone ring any good against the lost sinner? I haven't gotten enough hits on him to break his poise yet but if it's super high I'll switch over to blades.

It's a her :ssh:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I really want to know what the deal is with those statues. As far as I know Giligan is the only one who acknowledges them and he says they're just some old pagan custom, but there's obviously more to it than that.

They're probably dolls. The Rotten is very friendly and embraces all the poor cast off things that end up in the gutter.

In the Shrine of Winter there's a mural depicting what is maybe the four lords before they got all hosed up on stolen souls, and one of them is much shorter than the other three. The Rotten was probably just a child.

edit: Woops, wrong mural

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 5, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'll be sure to apologize next time I drop by.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yodzilla posted:

I bet most people unlock the vendor with infinite large titanite shards long before the one with infinite standard small ones.

:stare: explain yourself

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I really don't think Durability is a very good system in this game. Or, more specifically, I don't think it works well in the context of other design decisions. Durability being quite limited, in theory, encourages the use of multiple weapons. Except your ability to experiment and try out new weapons is severely curtailed by the lack of availability of Titanite Shards in the early game. I think they went overboard on the rarity of Titanite Shards. Large Titanite Shards and up are in a fine place in terms of rarity, but there's really no reason for the baseline entry level materials to be so sparse when you have a system in place specifically designed to encourage players to branch out and not just use the same drat weapon all the time forever.

There's a vendor that sells unlimited shards apparently after you clear the iron keep.

It doesn't encourage early diversity, true. But ... It's a problem that does seem to eventually sort itself out. I had to look this up myself, as I spent a buttload of shards upgrading my ghettogear since I couldn't wear armor that was too heavy. :(

Info here if you're curious!

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 5, 2014

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Ariong posted:

I'll be sure to apologize next time I drop by.

To answer your question though I've never made her flinch, and I was chain-flinching most enemies in the game by that point on NG.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Creepy Goat posted:

To answer your question though I've never made her flinch, and I was chain-flinching most enemies in the game by that point on NG.

Thanks, I suspected as much. I'll switch it out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

VisAbsoluta posted:

The animation for climbing ladders when pressing B is so silly, it looks like the game is on fast forward. :v:

I think it's funnier when you hold B to descend. Your head keeps bobbing like you're smacking it against all the rungs :v:

owns

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The dolls are definitely Maiden Astraea. A long-forgotten saint, part of a pagan worship ritual from a kingdom far ago. The game already makes a million references to Demon's Souls and King's Field IV, cycles and "old kingdoms" It's really not that hard to put the two and two together, it's not even subtle.

What other person/statue would a bunch of defiled zombiepeople worship like that?

Edit: Also that mural in the Shrine of Winter is about Shanalotte, hence the child in the robe that looks almost exactly like her and the dragons in the murals. At least, that's the going theory.

laplace fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 5, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Finally cleared the chasm of old and beat darklurker. That whole place is bitch if you don't know what you're getting into. Darklurker didn't really seem that bad when you can gear your way through it, although loving dust explosion got me at the end on my first kill, game loving hates melee..

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

laplace posted:

The dolls are definitely Maiden Astraea. A long-forgotten saint, part of a pagan worship ritual from a kingdom far ago. The game already makes a million references to Demon's Souls and King's Field IV, cycles and "old kingdoms" It's really not that hard to put the two and two together, it's not even subtle.

What other person/statue would a bunch of defiled zombiepeople worship like that?

It makes sense. She has given birth to all the wretched things you see. The filth of the world worships her.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Will lightning arrows scale with faith? As in, will that 140 lightning damage be increased by my 55 faith?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mans posted:

Well infinite standard shards come from the rock collector girl but only after you beat Old Iron King whereas infinite large shards come from McDuff after you give him an ember which you can get early in the Iron Keep.

I was pretty intimidated by the Iron Keep so its boss was the last of the Old Ones that I beat but the Bastille is a pretty low level area so I dunno I guess I found it kinda odd.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Elysiume posted:

Will lightning arrows scale with faith? As in, will that 140 lightning damage be increased by my 55 faith?
Yes, but substantially less than by upgrading your chime.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Elysiume posted:

I know the answer to this! Because I had the same questions being as I play an archer primarily. :)

Ammo doesn't scale, only the bow!

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, was he talking about the lightening bolts then? My bad! :shobon:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Cardiovorax posted:

I think they mean like, arrows from a bow. All lightning damage scales with Faith, but the arrows themselves don't. Your bonus still does apply I think.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kaldaris posted:

I know the answer to this! Because I had the same questions being as I play an archer primarily. :)

Ammo doesn't scale, only the bow!

laplace posted:

I think they mean like, arrows from a bow. All lightning damage scales with Faith.
That's correct. And now I have two answers!

Either way I might as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How far through the game am I having done Forest of Fallen Giants, the Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise? I realise the game can be done in any order but I still find it strange that it seems like I should have done Heide's tower after the forest. I just saw some huge thing in the entrance so decided to go the other way and kept going. Guess its my memories of Anor Londo making me avoid the big enemy

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mans posted:

McDuff (the blacksmith in Lost Bastille) sells unlimited large titanite shards after you bring him the dull ember from Iron Keep. Stone Trader Chloanne (found in Harvest Valley) sells unlimited regular titanite shards after you clear Iron Keep. So technically unless you do some backtracking to McDuff, you'll probably unlock them around the same time since they both involve Iron Keep.

You should also keep checking with merchants, since once you reach certain milestones in the game they'll acquire new items or unlimited stock.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Jose posted:

How far through the game am I having done Forest of Fallen Giants, the Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise? I realise the game can be done in any order but I still find it strange that it seems like I should have done Heide's tower after the forest. I just saw some huge thing in the entrance so decided to go the other way and kept going. Guess its my memories of Anor Londo making me avoid the big enemy

Well, the Sinner is one of Four Big Bad Dudes as I understand it. :raise: But my friend tells me there's even more, so you're less than 25% done, at the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

It makes sense. She has given birth to all the wretched things you see. The filth of the world worships her.

I dunno. The hood and robes look fairly different on the statues. The Garl Vinland lookalike is also way later in the game. Might be intended as a callback anyways though. At least, it's not as clear as the big ol' king ring doors.