Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Project Sylpheed is pretty fun and cheap. It's more like Ace Combat in space (with Macross-level missile spamming), but good stuff. Just, uh, skip the cutscenes. They are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lenoon posted:

I've just been playing some wing commander and starlancer (the best dream cast game) and now I'm hungry for some really solid space dogfighting. Preferably with an easily ignorable plot, cockpit or third person view a bit of customisation (no grognard stuff).

360. Mac. Or retro consoles.

Go goons, go!

Robotech: Battlecry has some fun dogfighting stages, plus you get to kick rear end in a giant robot that turns into an F-16 at-will.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

exotarih posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a visual novel type of game, with a fair share of decisions that influence the overall progression and give the game some replay value. According to her, it would be great if the game included some RPG elements (levelling, status points, equipment, things like that) but it shouldn't be too heavy on the combat-side of things. She recently played Cinders which she enjoyed but for her taste it was a bit 'too much' of a visual novel (i.e. much text, not many things happening). She greatly enjoyed Long Live the Queen, especially with the different classes and character skills.

Accordingly, something along the lines of Long Live the Queen would be great, maybe with some more RPG and decision 'elements'. The visuals shouldn't be too dated. She also enjoyed the Rune Factory/Harvest Moon series.

King of Dragon Pass is obviously what you're looking for.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

Habibi posted:

Planescape: Torment is the best 'visual novel' type of game I've ever played, but the graphics are certainly dated.

Bouchacha posted:

Seconding this

CommissarMega posted:

I heartily recommend Magical Diary

CaptainPsyko posted:

King of Dragon Pass is obviously what you're looking for.

Awesome, these all appear to be great choices, thank you all! (I even played PS:T back then and King of Dragon Pass just recently, but never thought of them as being obvious choices for what she's looking for).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

lenoon posted:

I've just been playing some wing commander and starlancer (the best dream cast game) and now I'm hungry for some really solid space dogfighting. Preferably with an easily ignorable plot, cockpit or third person view a bit of customisation (no grognard stuff).

360. Mac. Or retro consoles.

Go goons, go!

Tachyon: The Fringe was pretty solid, all the old Wing Commander games are on GOG now as well. Freespace 2 gets a lot of love as well. The X series isn't horrible, but it tends to involve a lot of flying around doing odd jobs rather than focusing on the shooting side of things. EDIT: NOT sure what goes on mac, there were a couple of wing commander ports to the SNES that weren't absolutely terrible, and you can use DOSBox to get the older games running, and Tachyon has a mac version.

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 3, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want a strategy civilization building game. I'd prefer something more Startopia than Civ V, if that narrows it down. I want to sperg out and make perfect little rows for my resource management instead of worrying about the Mongol/Orc/Space Nazi horde two spaces over about to gently caress me up.

There's got to be a ton of games like this, I just never played many empire building games so I don't know what's good.

e:Oh man KoDP chat. Is there a way to run that on Win7? It never starts for me. :saddowns:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The GoG version works fine for me on Windows 7, no idea about the original.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm looking for a game that lets me design transit systems in a city with more detail than SimCity (like designing the routes and stuff instead of just laying down stations).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Robo Reagan posted:

I want a strategy civilization building game. I'd prefer something more Startopia than Civ V, if that narrows it down. I want to sperg out and make perfect little rows for my resource management instead of worrying about the Mongol/Orc/Space Nazi horde two spaces over about to gently caress me up.

There's got to be a ton of games like this, I just never played many empire building games so I don't know what's good.

e:Oh man KoDP chat. Is there a way to run that on Win7? It never starts for me. :saddowns:

I've heard good things about Banished, although that's more of a city you build, not a full empire.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Sam. posted:

I'm looking for a game that lets me design transit systems in a city with more detail than SimCity (like designing the routes and stuff instead of just laying down stations).

Cities in Motion is just that.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Baggins posted:

Cities in Motion is just that.

Is it good?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kissekatt posted:

The GoG version works fine for me on Windows 7, no idea about the original.

I guess I'll give it a shot since it'll only be a few bucks.

LordHippoman posted:

I've heard good things about Banished, although that's more of a city you build, not a full empire.

Isn't that an Early Alpha Acess Prerelease Kickstarter or whatever the hell it's called now? The game looked cool, but I'm basically done paying money for games until they're released.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Robo Reagan posted:

Isn't that an Early Alpha Acess Prerelease Kickstarter or whatever the hell it's called now? The game looked cool, but I'm basically done paying money for games until they're released.

It was fully released in February. Guy never took Kickstarter money or released it before it was finished.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cantorsdust posted:

It was fully released in February. Guy never took Kickstarter money or released it before it was finished.

Oh sweet, I'll pick that up then too.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Sam. posted:

Is it good?

I had fun with it, put over 90 hours in the first one. Haven't played Cities in Motion 2.

It's moddable. I added a mod that gives you some of the level editor stuff during the actual game, so you can demolish and build your own roads, add some scenery etc. I think it was this one: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?539901-MOD-Build-menu-in-game

You have to sign up in order to even read that page I linked :argh:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Startopia is not much of an empire building game, but if that's up your alley and you want to sperg out, try the Anno series (Dawn of Discovery or 2070 if you want a sci-fi setting) or the Impressions city-builders for a look at the ancient world. In most games, you can turn off the (usually) lovely military implementation.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
Any good, obscure "immersive sim" games? I've already played the most well-known ones, and Arx Fatalis and Strife.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

If you have an ipad, you might try puzzlecraft. It's not really strategy, but there is resource management, city building, and a decent sense of progression.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Time to read Zinn posted:

Any good, obscure "immersive sim" games? I've already played the most well-known ones, and Arx Fatalis and Strife.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? It's a lot more polished and fun than it would initially seem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Time to read Zinn posted:

"immersive sim" is pretty drat vague. What are "the most well-known ones"?

That said, if you liked Arx Fatalis and Strife, I'd recommend Ultima Underworld, System Shock 1/2, and Dark Messiah.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a simulation/sandbox game. Ideally it'd be one with a more sedate, slow-paced, lean-back-in-your-chair vibe to it, in contrast to a "learn over, focus, sperg out every detail" sensation. Maybe something with a terraforming bent.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Reus, maybe?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From Dust

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Smornstein posted:

Shadowrun looks interesting but i've heard it's not a good entry point into the series or can i ignore this and enjoy a good game?
I knew fuckall about Shadowrun beyond the basic premise, and I've enjoyed the hell out of both Returns campaigns.

Dead Man's Switch just has the con of being completely railroaded, but I didn't really mind because it's really, really well written. (Come to think of it, this might be also be a good recommendation for the "visual novel game" thing, since there's a shitload of dialogue and descriptive text to read).
Dragonfall is not quite as linear and is just as good otherwise.

I also saw the game 66% off on Steam just yesterday, maybe it still is?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I'm looking for a simulation/sandbox game. Ideally it'd be one with a more sedate, slow-paced, lean-back-in-your-chair vibe to it, in contrast to a "learn over, focus, sperg out every detail" sensation. Maybe something with a terraforming bent.
Seconding Reus. Also Eufloria.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know what to play next. Can someone look at my backlog and tell me if there's anything really spectacular in there?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

EightDeer posted:

I don't know what to play next. Can someone look at my backlog and tell me if there's anything really spectacular in there?

Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 are the gold standard of mapgames. CK2 has a more "medieval drama" focus, and EU4 is more empire building. You can buy a DLC for CK2 that lets you import a savegame into EU4.

Witcher 1 is good if you can tolerate the relatively poor combat. Great branching story with real choices that affect the outcome.

EYE Divine Cybermancy is a game I've described before as Deus Ex meets Warhammer 40K in a fever dream. Run around in your cyber-armor, use cool cybor abilities and implants, and kill guys with some satisfying weapons and good gunplay.

Medieval 2 and Rome Total War play very similarly, just with different settings. They were the last Total War games to get a wide variety of mods. Definitely try out Stainless Steel and the Third Age mod for Medieval 2, and Europa Barbarorum or Rome Total Realism for Rome.

edit: poo poo I didn't see Deus Ex there. Yeah, the new one is pretty decent.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 5, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Go play Dragon Age: Origins if you have any interest at all in RPGs or maybe Deus Ex if you prefer a modern setting. Play both, they are great. Batman: Arkham Asylum has the best combat system I've seen lately, plus general visual style is great. Throw a little Europa Universalis/Crusader Kings if you're into grand strategy.

In a more niche/personal opinion, Academagia is a good gamebook/text adventure style game, where you play Not Harry Potter going through the first year of wizard school. Geneforge are real expansive old school RPGs, Sword of the Stars (1, DO NOT TOUCH THE SEQUEL) is a pretty good 4x in space.

I don't think there is a truly awful game in there, at least the ones I recognize.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

EightDeer posted:

Definitely Arkham Asylum. That game is a masterpiece.

The King's Bounty game are great if you ever enjoyed running around the landscape in the Heroes of Might and Magic games. Expect to sink in a lot of hours in those.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

While thematically it's not exactly city building Factorio fills the niche you're describing. There's a tiny bit of combat but you can disable it if you just want to build up a crazy system.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm looking for a space exploration game. Not a space trading or space combat game, but a space exploration game. Space Engine with gameplay mechanics, or Kerbal Space Program with procedurally-generated planets, or a more modern Noctis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis). Games where I can fly to new and unexplored worlds, land on them, and wander around. Being able to then build poo poo on those new unexplored worlds is a bonus, but not required.

By the way, if you haven't played Noctis, and you have any interest in exploration games at all, you should play Noctis.

e: Holy poo poo, this is exactly what I'm looking for. http://elliptic-games.com/ Any more games of this sort would be welcome.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 6, 2014

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

I'm looking for a space exploration game. Not a space trading or space combat game, but a space exploration game. Space Engine with gameplay mechanics, or Kerbal Space Program with procedurally-generated planets, or a more modern Noctis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis). Games where I can fly to new and unexplored worlds, land on them, and wander around. Being able to then build poo poo on those new unexplored worlds is a bonus, but not required.

By the way, if you haven't played Noctis, and you have any interest in exploration games at all, you should play Noctis.

If you don't mind roguelikes, there's always Prospector

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EightDeer posted:

Batman: AA is pretty spectacular.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy is spectacularly weird and probably worth playing even if you never finish it. I quite enjoyed it, although it lacks polish.

Geneforge is excellent and you should finish it.

HL2 episodes 1 and 2 are both pretty good (with the caveat that the final fight of ep 2 can gently caress right off) and are also very short.

Mister Bates posted:

e: Holy poo poo, this is exactly what I'm looking for. http://elliptic-games.com/ Any more games of this sort would be welcome.

I am also very interested in games like this! I loved Noctis. :(

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 6, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Looking for games where I can just sort of press a couple buttons and then put my attention somewhere else (like the forums or Netflix or something) for a few seconds/minutes and come back to it. Games that I can sort play while multitasking pretty much. Sims 3 has been my go to game for this but Civ V seems to fit decently as well despite not particularly caring for it. Wondering what other options there. PC, DS, PSP, Android, and anything commonly emulated on the above systems (PS2/GC/Wii stuff is a no go on my rig) would be best options.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Looking for games where I can just sort of press a couple buttons and then put my attention somewhere else (like the forums or Netflix or something) for a few seconds/minutes and come back to it. Games that I can sort play while multitasking pretty much. Sims 3 has been my go to game for this but Civ V seems to fit decently as well despite not particularly caring for it. Wondering what other options there. PC, DS, PSP, Android, and anything commonly emulated on the above systems (PS2/GC/Wii stuff is a no go on my rig) would be best options.

The (perennially suggested) Anno series is great for this, either Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 or Anno 2071. It's real time production chain management/empire/trade route game, so you build/tweak/layout stuff here and there, and then let it run for awhile and make adjustments as new needs arrive or demand increases. The default speed is kinda glacial but there's like 3 speeds of fast forward.

I always recommend Anno1404 over 2071, because the aesthetics are gorgeous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EightDeer posted:

Ship Simulator Extremes. See if you can last an hour before trying to slit your wrists to make the pain stop. :unsmigghh:

For an actual recommendation, play Deus Ex HR: Director's Cut. It's an amazing game, and the Director's Cut only makes it better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm currently playing CK2 at low speed exactily like this, while watching LPs, reading or what have you. Set up the message system to automatically pause when an important message appears and you're set.

Seconding the Anno sugestion, too. Modifications in the production chain take a while to show it's effects on stock, so you can check every 3-5 minutes to see how you're doing.

Or anything turn based, I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm currently playing CK2 at low speed exactily like this, while watching LPs, reading or what have you. Set up the message system to automatically pause when an important message appears and you're set.

Seconding the Anno sugestion, too. Modifications in the production chain take a while to show it's effects on stock, so you can check every 3-5 minutes to see how you're doing.

Or anything turn based, I guess.

CK2?

e: nvm crusader kings 2.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Crusader Kings 2, sorry.

EDIT: yeah, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Since finding good mech games has turned out to be a bust, does anyone know of any PC RPG that features well-written, in-depth interparty interaction outside Black Isle, Bioware and Obsidian's games? I don't care if it's AAA or some rpgmaker thing, don't worry- I have no standards :v: