Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BMB5150 posted:

So how long has the 620S been out on the market because I found one already at my school's car show.

That is a seriously special car. There's not a lot of cars that really grip me just based on their exterior design, but the P1 and 620s are just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rode next to an acura nsx today. Was trying out a different gopro mount so this is unfortunately the clearest shot I got, but it was super nice.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

angryhampster posted:

That is a seriously special car. There's not a lot of cars that really grip me just based on their exterior design, but the P1 and 620s are just great.

650S, surely.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

650S, surely.

Oops, slipped on the number pad.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

There were seriously a lot of good cars there and a few not so good. Couple highlights.

All of my photos I took can be found here. Rain sucked but was well worth the trip to see it.
http://imgur.com/a/CcWm4

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the Citroen supposed to be UW purple or just coincidence?

Nice Prius.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
How could you post all that and not post this?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The old GTS is by far the best viper. Fact.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

The old GTS is by far the best viper. Fact.

qft

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Saw this while I was at the book store today:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Das Volk posted:

How could you post all that and not post this?

Shame onto me. When I saw that truck, I thought of this thread. Another thing I saw/heard, was the loudest car when I went to this wasn't in the show, but this loud as gently caress Mx-5 strolling on by when I was leaving.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The old Viper is one of the few high-end modern American cars I'd ever consider owning. But the pre-'03 ones are going for brand-new Corvette money, which I suppose keeps them from suffering FD syndrome but it sure as hell won't be an attainable thing for me anytime soon (and the principle of blowing $70k on a '90s Chrysler product is just nuts no matter what it is).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I'm thinking this might be a prototype GTS? Production models had rear exhaust.

Either way, that car easily won the '90s Corvette vs. Viper war in my heart.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The first thing I think of when looking at that Viper is what a nightmare it was to drive on Gran Turismo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dr.Caligari posted:

The first thing I think of when looking at that Viper is what a nightmare it was to drive on Gran Turismo.

Put full soft tires on and take it into a stock class race :getin:

(i am ashamed and horrified that i remembered this so easily ~17 years on)

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Put full soft tires on and take it into a stock class race :getin:

(i am ashamed and horrified that i remembered this so easily ~17 years on)

I still bust out Gran Turismo 1 and 2 at least once a month. The original is still my favorite racing game I've ever played. GT4 comes close, but the amount of time you have to sink into it kills it for me. I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

bandman posted:

I still bust out Gran Turismo 1 and 2 at least once a month. The original is still my favorite racing game I've ever played. GT4 comes close, but the amount of time you have to sink into it kills it for me. I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

I have the time, but very little holds my attention anymore. Focusing really hard on a game is just unpleasant more often than not, especially after a full day at work.

~*~don't know what you got 'til it's gone~*~

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

bandman posted:

Sometimes when I play Forza I put I Think I'm Paranoid on loop for old times sake, but playing the real thing is nearly impossible since I don't even know where my PS1 is. Forza 4 is so close to GT2 in car/track selection and physics it makes no difference to my brain anyway. Though I do miss the elevator jazz in the menu screens...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Seeing the light drizzle from those photos made me believe that those vipers were trailered in, right? Otherwise I suspect they would be smashed around a tree an ushering in their pilots to meet their maker and leave behind a trail of widow and orphan tears. That car was definitely the best of detroits offerings in the '90s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Seeing the light drizzle from those photos made me believe that those vipers were trailered in, right? Otherwise I suspect they would be smashed around a tree an ushering in their pilots to meet their maker and leave behind a trail of widow and orphan tears. That car was definitely the best of detroits offerings in the '90s.

There was a guy I autocrossed with in Minnesota who had a Viper. He ran in SS with Hoosier A6s. Apparently there's no tow hook solution, so he had to drive from his house to the site on A6s. One day it rained, he told me he drove home at 10-15mph.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Actually the Vipers came together. Not sure if they were trailered up to school grounds, but I did see them being driven in. One thing to keep in mind, my pictures started when it was dry and midway through to the Citroen was when rain came in, and I shot the Vipers a little bit after that, and go plenty wet when I got to the Impala. Weather is weird here.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
seen recently:

and, the greatest vehicle ever to grace this planet

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Found your next project? What's the spider rating look like?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Collateral Damage posted:

Found your next project? What's the spider rating look like?

What, you think the weather did that to the car? :kheldragar:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Mmmmm.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The Viper has actually done us a major service in removing the kind of people who would own a Viper from public society. When the car was announced they appeared unbidden at the gates of Dodge dealerships across the country, rubbing their blood-stained hands against the immaculate window glass until a salesman came outside and taught them how to use a door.

Wild-eyed, these men first attempted to pay for their factory hot rods with clusters of pulled hair and bloody teeth before pulling out inexplicable sums of money from their dragon-like hoard of cash, saturated with the tang of human blood to the point that it dripped crimson trails onto the manicured industrial-estate tile flooring. Innocent salesmen who went along with them for the test drive "for insurance purposes" returned shaken, mute, with white hair and permanently dilated pupils, unable to share their tale of the horrors that ensued on that fateful use of the dealer plate. Normal people would never attend the Dodge dealership to witness these vehicles, being perfectly happy to gaze at them from an aesthetic perspective before plopping down an outsize credit note on lifted minivan after lifted minivan, continuing on with their life and never descending into the kind of purestrain madness that would promote the purchase of a Viper.

Seemingly unemployed, these Viper owners wreaked havoc across the nation, dragging their RT/10s on our highways and byways before locating and docking with the nearest tree to the dealership. Those who survived their high-speed Viper crash were reborn in a baptism of fire, taking these broken men and giving us new, hardened, experienced psychopaths who immediately set out to purchase a second generation Viper when it became available. Despite the Dodge, for years America was helpless, crippled with fear of these dearborists, and our economy collapsed to the point that the Europeans were able to take advantage of our weakened world position, launching savage leveraged takeovers that crippled our most useless corporations, among them the mother of the Viper. The Dodge was struck down, and the Viper was to cease.

The Dodge, under the direction of the Germans, lost its love of terror and spectacle and discontinued the Viper as they instead concentrated on making more lifted minivans to attract the kind of man who would only appreciate the Viper as an abstract spectacle of wealth and power, rather than a direct-engagement three-pedaled suicide machine rendered from brimstone and lubricated with the souls of the damned. The loyalists were lost in the wild, hoarding the few remaining examples from being crashed into trees at high speeds and sequestering them away amongst yachts and period-correct lowboy restorations at a gathering known only as Barrett-Jackson.

Before long the original Viper owner hoard began to thin itself out, and the surviving cars began to depreciate. That's when they came down from the mountain. Cheap-rear end hobbyists. Clutching Weiand blowers and laughing in their odd high pitch, half-panicked, half-aroused as they eyed what was left of their fiberglass-bodied ankle-burning sex machine. The next age of Viper Terror was among us. The kind of man who would originally buy a new Viper became restless, and they swarmed across Wall Street, launching the world into an orgy of high-risk, violent bets that struck out at the common man. In order to sate their desire for adrenalin and property destruction, these men had gained power and cast the world into economic disaster that destroyed even The Dodge they once embraced.

After many more months of darkness, The Dodge returned. A man who had been to hell and back approached the podium. The Gilles told us of a new Viper - a new promise - and that America would soon be unified under an appreciation for the new Viper. Our nation's psychos would be comfortably ensconced once again in a faux-luxury hot rod that had a predilection for snap oversteer and brutal triple-digit crashes that atomized the occupants of the car.

America was safe. This time we had learned not to fear the Viper, but to fund it with our governments.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 5, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I... I think I love you...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well drat, that was not what I expected to see when I saw there were new posts.

Bravo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not how I remember the first couple years of the Viper. I recall they came from the factory relatively tame. Upside was you unlock absurd power figures with some minor work under the hood.

Granted, I was still in high school and the closest I got to sport cars was Car and Driver so my world view was a little compressed. But that's how the world was in 1992. :colbert:

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

It's beautiful.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

That's not how I remember the first couple years of the Viper. I recall they came from the factory relatively tame. Upside was you unlock absurd power figures with some minor work under the hood.

Granted, I was still in high school and the closest I got to sport cars was Car and Driver so my world view was a little compressed. But that's how the world was in 1992. :colbert:

Yeah, it was only 400hp/465 ft-lbs on the showroom floor.

Where is that "what it's like to daily drive a Viper" article on jalopnik again?

(I would never buy one, I just want the loving engine out of one. Why do they have to be so drat expensive? Engines survive tree fixation, dammit!)

e: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-is-it-like-to-daily-drive-a-dodge-viper-1468362841

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Sometimes when I play Forza I put I Think I'm Paranoid on loop for old times sake, but playing the real thing is nearly impossible since I don't even know where my PS1 is. Forza 4 is so close to GT2 in car/track selection and physics it makes no difference to my brain anyway. Though I do miss the elevator jazz in the menu screens...

If you know where your game discs are you can just install a PSX emulator on whatever you've got hooked up to your TV as a HTPC device. AA and AF and rendering the game at 1080p makes the games not look that horrible on large hi resolution TVs

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've sunk more time into Forza 4 than I put into WoW back in HS and I'm not even halfway done with the game. At least I can drive a Cobalt SS and Ion Redline.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

rscott posted:

If you know where your game discs are you can just install a PSX emulator on whatever you've got hooked up to your TV as a HTPC device. AA and AF and rendering the game at 1080p makes the games not look that horrible on large hi resolution TVs

I get my GT fix from Bleemcast! and GT2. Now that's a setup.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xzzy posted:

My first and only experience with a Viper was a 95-95 red model an uncle rented out in Las Vegas for the weekend. He took me for a ride and as I'm leaving the car my leg touched the exhaust. I got a horrific burn from it. That's the Viper to me and I still think it's cool.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

I would do dirty things with that Broadspeed Jag.

Mclaren's "Unit-2" warehouse

Fuller9x fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 5, 2014

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Fuller9x posted:

I would do dirty things with that Broadspeed Jag.

Mclaren's "Unit-2" warehouse

Millions upon millions of dollars in automotive history, just sitting there. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GramCracker posted:

Millions upon millions of dollars in automotive history, just sitting there. I love it.

Pfft, dust those things off and drive 'em until the wheels come off. :colbert:

Cars should be used, not stored.