Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
Speaking of registering, what's the new link, since the OP doesn't have the new registration site.

*edit*
Answered my own question, the website is http://www.pearsonvue.com/fsot/

Salt Maker fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
was busy with POTUS visit.

(glad that's over.)

Captain Bravo posted:

It's like being in college all over again.

Just being real, here: you remember say, an anxious wait for a college acceptance letter? Now imagine that, but your college gets back to you say, once a quarter, saying "yeah we're gonna need you to provide more details" or "we're still deciding."

Then spread that out for at least a year. Maybe 2 or 3. :D (my point: if you get an offer elsewhere, take it. It's not a guarantee you'll receive an offer and you can always quit the other job (or find you really like it); life is weird like that)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Speaking of which, if I'm taking the FSOT this June (which I am), pass again and move on to PNQs, I'll still be getting my results back before November, right? What is the latest point that one can bail out of the process?

There is no penalty for bailing/minimum time for doing so. I believe the only way you would be on the hook for anything is if you scheduled an appointment for the oral assessment and then canceled it less than 48 hours before it took place.

If you decide to just not send in your PNQs or not schedule an OA, nothing bad will come of it (other than having to start over from the beginning should you want to do it again).

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Didn't realize FACT is now mandatory for all FS employees and others categories heading to AIPSY+mex border.

Our class was the last one for it not to be mandatory but I managed to snag a spot due to conflicting/pending training schedule. Seems to me like it doesn't really make sense for someone heading to say....Bern, but I guess they figured they would save money by having everyone check it off while in initial training in DC. Anyone go through the course? Thoughts?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

problematique posted:

Didn't realize FACT is now mandatory for all FS employees and others categories heading to AIPSY+mex border.

Our class was the last one for it not to be mandatory but I managed to snag a spot due to conflicting/pending training schedule. Seems to me like it doesn't really make sense for someone heading to say....Bern, but I guess they figured they would save money by having everyone check it off while in initial training in DC. Anyone go through the course? Thoughts?

wait you went to FACT and your onward is Bern?

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

problematique posted:

I went through it, thought it was both interesting and kinda fun, actually. It mostly consists of the basics of medicine, defensive driving, handling firearms, etc... CNN did a piece on it recently: http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/16/new-diplomats-train-for-car-bombs-kidnappings/

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Homie S posted:

Hey man that ogre fountain is scary.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Homie S posted:

I'm going to Harare. But I was making a point that someone going somewhere "safe/1st world" still gets FACT, which seems a bit much.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

problematique posted:

I'm going to Harare. But I was making a point that someone going somewhere "safe/1st world" still gets FACT, which seems a bit much.

I have a guess... I'll bounce it off Homie S tomorrow.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

problematique posted:

Yep - I believe the recommendation comes out of the Benghazi ARB. Everyone will need to serve at some point at a high threat/high danger post, so why not get them trained up now? At least this way people are available for TDY travel more easily - it's a pain in the rear end to get DVs certified in time before travel to certain posts.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/ap/fort-pickett-to-add-embassy-training-center/article_de735d3a-c688-11e3-bc90-0017a43b2370.html

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

problematique posted:

Rumor has it that all officers going anywhere in AF are going to be getting FACT training. Who knows though...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Signed up for the June FSOT and you guys that have taken the ACT vs new format haven't noticed any major differences? I sailed through the written and struck out in QEP last time. I skipped last year's administration but came through the written well enough. Not even sure what the point of this post is other than wish me luck and the same to all the other June/July takers.

The saying is second times a charm, right?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Dameius posted:

The saying is second fourth times a charm, right?

FTFY

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Dameius posted:

Signed up for the June FSOT and you guys that have taken the ACT vs new format haven't noticed any major differences? I sailed through the written and struck out in QEP last time. I skipped last year's administration but came through the written well enough. Not even sure what the point of this post is other than wish me luck and the same to all the other June/July takers.

The saying is second times a charm, right?

No one's taken it with Pearson VUE yet. The DoS forums say there are no changes in the actual test, just a change in administrators.

Good luck! I struck out last June in the QEP too, but this is my 4th try. I only really studied the 3rd time though (when I started thinking about what I really wanted to do).

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Loved FACT so much. I would pay good money to do the driving again, it was so much fun. The medical stuff was cool as long as you're not especially squeamish. You do have to go out to Winchester for a few days, and I would recommend getting a cab and going downtown to eat. The firearms stuff was basically useless to me as we didn't really spend enough time on it to absorb anything useful; I would have had no idea what to do with any of the weapons if you handed them to me the next day.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bruxism posted:

Rumor has it that all officers going anywhere in AF are going to be getting FACT training. Who knows though...

FACT = First Aid and CPR Training?

If so it should be mandatory in all jobs, everywhere.

e: firearms okay, something else then. :downsrim:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Foreign Affairs Counter Threat

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Bruxism posted:

Abuja gets it now and I assume Lagos too. Abuja is one of 14(?) high threat posts though so I don't know if that's part of a HTP or AF policy.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Captain Bravo posted:

I did it! I took the plunge! Friday, June 20th, I've got an appointment with Pearson VUE to take the FSOT exam in the next town over. Holy poo poo, this is exciting! Now I get to worry about studying/procrastinate at studying/cram session the night before! It's like being in college all over again.

Congratulations and good luck! I'll be one cohort behind you because I'll be taking the test (again) in October.

As for any differences between Pearson VUE and ACT, while the actual test remains the same, the only difference I've observed is that the FSOT seems to be offered in fewer locations this time around. I don't know if that's because of Pearson or if it's because State wishes to cull the number of applicants or what. Or maybe I'm just blowing smoke.

As for the actual FSOT, if you have general competency in world affairs, basic economics and how to speak/write English correctly, you should be fine. The QEP (the round after the FSOT) is where most candidacies go to die. Heh.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Hello again, Foreign Service friends! I've picked up many of the books recommended to me by posters in this thread, and now I'm just waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

On an unrelated note, I was talking to my doctor about medication today and he was concerned that the service might frown upon medication use by applicants. Specifically he had concerns with regard to the use of drugs used to treat adult ADD and certain anti-anxiety medications such as lorazapam. Does anyone know if that's the case? I assume they'd look down on abuse of prescribed medication, but how they would react to proper use of scheduled substances I'm not clear on.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

'Nother application question-- how does the Foreign Service view partisan applicants? I'm getting sucked into the 2014 midterm campaign cycle, and while the work involved in that is some sterling training for leadership, communication and management skills, it's also a giant sign that says "THIS PERSON IS LIKELY PARTISAN AS ALL GET-OUT". How do they take to applicants deeply involved in one side or another of partisan politics?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Ofaloaf posted:

'Nother application question-- how does the Foreign Service view partisan applicants? I'm getting sucked into the 2014 midterm campaign cycle, and while the work involved in that is some sterling training for leadership, communication and management skills, it's also a giant sign that says "THIS PERSON IS LIKELY PARTISAN AS ALL GET-OUT". How do they take to applicants deeply involved in one side or another of partisan politics?

Literally zero impact.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

The Mantis posted:

Literally zero impact.

Although once in, you have to stand by whatever the official stance is, even if you disagree with it

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
FACT driving course at a minimum should be required for posts where standard traffic laws are "drive like a maniac, rules don't apply to anyone."

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Stolennosferatu posted:

Although once in, you have to stand by whatever the official stance is, even if you disagree with it

In fact, be ready to stress your ability to stand by the official line, no matter what, during your OA.

That being said, my A-100, which was fellow-heavy, still covered the whole political spectrum, including at least one wacky outlier. It also seems like, once in, many of us start to care a bit less about our 'side', as we're now the gnomes toiling away under a mountain of politicians, where puerile nonsense is a wholeheartedly bipartisan endeavor.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
Last year I moved to Prague to take advantage of an opportunity to live and work abroad, as well as to fill in a 'hole' that a diplomat in resident told me my resume had, but lately I've been starting to be less confident on my chances of being hired into the political track. This is compounded with the fact that I am 30 and thinking the boat has sailed since I've been out of school for 2 years. I have been thinking of focusing my attention down a different avenue while still being able to serve abroad, and have been looking at AID and possibly some NPO, all the while continuing to take the FSOT as a backburner option. More importantly, I simply have no real desire to have a career in the US that doesn't have a work abroad light at the end of the tunnel. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice to offer that could point me in the right direction?

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Danger Doug posted:

Last year I moved to Prague to take advantage of an opportunity to live and work abroad, as well as to fill in a 'hole' that a diplomat in resident told me my resume had, but lately I've been starting to be less confident on my chances of being hired into the political track. This is compounded with the fact that I am 30 and thinking the boat has sailed since I've been out of school for 2 years. I have been thinking of focusing my attention down a different avenue while still being able to serve abroad, and have been looking at AID and possibly some NPO, all the while continuing to take the FSOT as a backburner option. More importantly, I simply have no real desire to have a career in the US that doesn't have a work abroad light at the end of the tunnel. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice to offer that could point me in the right direction?

If you're not married to the Political cone, consider what cone your work experience / education matches with. I chose the consular cone due to interest in the work and my legal background, but my first assignment in Tokyo will be 1 year consular, 1 year political. No matter what cone we choose, we're generalists, and subject to performing any or all functions at one point or another.

I also know a PD guy with several tours under his belt who has only done 1 PD tour - he keeps landing management positions instead.

I don't know what your background is, but people with business and/or finance backgrounds can become US Commercial Service FSOs.

No matter what, don't give up on the FSOT - there are plenty of older folks (late 30s - 50s, I'm about to turn 40) coming in. Outside of the fellowship programs, experience seems to carry a lot more wait at the PNQ / OA stages. If you have a foreign language, that will increase your chances of getting hired off the register.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Danger Doug posted:

Being 2 years out of school and 30 in no way hurts your chances as a PolOff. More importantly, the question should be, do you like writing? Journalistic writing, legal/financial writing, etc.?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

d1rtbag posted:

If you're not married to the Political cone, consider what cone your work experience / education matches with. I chose the consular cone due to interest in the work and my legal background, but my first assignment in Tokyo will be 1 year consular, 1 year political.

We'll be working together once you escape from consular. I'll be gone all July, but we should link up in August.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

d1rtbag posted:

If you're not married to the Political cone, consider what cone your work experience / education matches with. I chose the consular cone due to interest in the work and my legal background, but my first assignment in Tokyo will be 1 year consular, 1 year political.

I am not an FSO, but if you need any information on living in Japan, I can help you with that. I used to work there for several years. Great country--especially if you have language skills. Good luck! If you have any specific (non-FSO) questions about life in J-land, you can reach me at my username at the free email service provided by Google.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

Leif. posted:

Being 2 years out of school and 30 in no way hurts your chances as a PolOff. More importantly, the question should be, do you like writing? Journalistic writing, legal/financial writing, etc.?

I absolutely love writing. While I've been in Prague I've been writing down notes for Something after the end here (It's been an interesting time here, with the politics changing toward the left again, and witnessing Pro-Russian rallies over the past nine months). I'm not 100% savvy on financial writing outside of the role of economics as a political force, though. I've always been told that writing as a political officer required countless short, high quality documents. - is this true?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I meant more as a "style" of technical/professional writing, as opposed to fiction, poetry, or other creative types of writing. It sounds like you do enjoy it, so I wouldn't worry too much on that end. There is a lot of writing, to be sure, but I'm just trying to figure out why you're selling yourself away from the POL cone, if that's what you wanted to do?

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

Leif. posted:

I meant more as a "style" of technical/professional writing, as opposed to fiction, poetry, or other creative types of writing. It sounds like you do enjoy it, so I wouldn't worry too much on that end. There is a lot of writing, to be sure, but I'm just trying to figure out why you're selling yourself away from the POL cone, if that's what you wanted to do?

It is. I'm just exploring other options, and not trying to get my hopes up; particularly since the competition is quite stiff for that track. I've been told that there are at least ten times more people applying for the political cone than any other.

In short, bills need paying and I need to find something that isn't going to be a dead-end and not-at-all useful to a career at State.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Good Afternoon Mr. The Mantis:

You have recently been added to the register as of 05/01/2014, however your score is high enough for you to be selected into the June/July 2014 A-100 class. Will you be able to accept a placement in the June/July 2014 A-100 class? Because your name was just recently added, if you are no it [sic] able to accept this offer it will not count against you.

The Registrar's Office is pleased to extend an appointment offer for the June 30, 2014 - Generalist Class. If you are available for placement in the June 30th Generalist Class, please notify the Registrar’s Office of yourresponse, via email, no later than NOON: Thursday May 8, 2014.

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 5, 2014

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Congrats dude! I can barely imagine what a relief that must feel like after having to agonize for months over your clearance.

Not just in, but bumped up too. Nice going.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hahaha wow. Congrats, that is awesome. Are you thinking about deferring or are you all in?

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

The Mantis posted:

You have recently been added to the register as of 05/01/2014, however your score is high enough for you to be selected into the June/July 2014 A-100 class. Will you be able to accept a placement in the June/July 2014 A-100 class? Because your name was just recently added, if you are no it [sic] able to accept this offer it will not count against you.

The Registrar's Office is pleased to extend an appointment offer for the June 30, 2014 - Generalist Class. If you are available for placement in the June 30th Generalist Class, please notify the Registrar’s Office of yourresponse, via email, no later than NOON: Thursday May 8, 2014.

Great news! I'll be leaving FSI Wednesday evening after you start, but it seems like there's always a few of us around.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Congrats!

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Business of Ferrets posted:

We'll be working together once you escape from consular. I'll be gone all July, but we should link up in August.

Absolutely. I have no predecessor in the Pol section (rather, 'multiple'), so I don't even know what portfolio I'll be getting - no matter what, I'll just be happy to be there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

The Mantis posted:

Congratulations, indeed! Way to go.