Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mdemone posted:

We like Liu though, correct? I seem to remember last time Obama was picking, Liu was a name people talked about on the long-list as potentially very exciting for progressives.

Liu would be fantastic. I was around the Senate for his nomination process and he's brilliant, progressive, and genuinely a nice person. He'd be a great partner for Sotomayor on the Court in that they each have slightly different areas where they stand out and areas where they're flawed.

I just don't hold out a ton of hope for him to get confirmed, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Green Crayons posted:

I don't follow. Liu got blocked because he had no reporter friends?

Sorry, it was late and I was capping off a 300+ month, I was extremely scatterbrained when I posted that. Evilweasel's clarification is what I meant - Liu got blocked because he was an obvious SCOTUS pick, like Estrada before him. (I would be interested in looking at the demographics of candidates with commentariat backing though.)

Green Crayons posted:

Any thoughts on whether the fact that he's currently serving on California's supreme court is providing him the experience he needs to be a credible nominee?

My impression at the time was that this was exactly (part of) why he was nominated to CA Supreme Court. I'm rosier on it than Kalman is, especially considering Kagan now. I do think it's harder to get confirmed to the Circuit Courts than to SCOTUS in terms of being blocked or forced to withdraw - I don't think Sotomayor could get confirmed to the Second Circuit today.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 1, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Discendo Vox posted:

This thread needs some sort of "read the scotusblog synopsis at a minimum before deciding who is right" rule. Also, I'm starting to think I can persuasively argue any case from any side to some of this thread if I can analogize my client to a guy busted with weed.

I think the real issue is people not making clear whether they're opining on the legal issue of the case or who they think is "right" in some equitable system that may or may not resemble U.S. law.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm just going to take a moment here and marvel at a system where excellent jurists are blocked from attaining higher positions out of partisan fear of them ascending to the Supreme Court. drat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

KernelSlanders posted:

I think the real issue is people not making clear whether they're opining on the legal issue of the case or who they think is "right" in some equitable system that may or may not resemble U.S. law.

The difficulty, and the reason I think such a rule would be productive, is that these folks are neglecting the facts of the case. Reading scotusblog would at least tell them what the situation was- if they want to get counterfactual on the law, that's fine. As it stands, they're arguing from a set of circumstances that have nothing to do with the actual event in question, so they're effectively strawmanning the whole situation.

vvvvv Sure, and if the posters were using counterfactuals intentionally it'd be fine, but it's pretty clear they aren't. They think they know what happened in the case, but they're actually assuming facts to fit how they want things to turn out. The "fish were too small, this case doesn't make sense, the big bad govt is misapplying statutes" narrative is intuitively appealing if you don't know the facts- and that's exactly why the case has made it this far.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 2, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Discendo Vox posted:

The difficulty, and the reason I think such a rule would be productive, is that these folks are neglecting the facts of the case. Reading scotusblog would at least tell them what the situation was- if they want to get counterfactual on the law, that's fine. As it stands, they're arguing from a set of circumstances that have nothing to do with the actual event in question, so they're effectively strawmanning the whole situation.

Can we have both?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Like the late Earl Warren?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Like the late Earl Warren?

Warren Court was the best court.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

Warren Court was the best court.

Excuse me, the Taney Court would like to have a word with you :colbert:

jk

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the future Sotomayor court will be tits

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the future Sotomayor court will be tits

Not when President Cruz impeaches her in 2022 before the midterms.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you're forgetting when she gets reappointed by mecha-Clinton in neo-DC in 2033

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you're forgetting when she gets reappointed by mecha-Clinton in neo-DC in 2033

Appointed Chief Justice of megacity 1 you mean.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Appointed Chief Justice of megacity 1 you mean.

800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. In a 5-4 decision the only thing fighting for order in the chaos: judges

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Barudak posted:

800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. In a 5-4 decision the only thing fighting for order in the chaos: judges

The prelude of John "I am the Law" Roberts makes a lot more sense all of a sudden.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

While the hypothetical Sotomayor court would be awesome, it still doesn't approach Obama replacing Scalia or Thomas levels of amazing.

Edit: appointed by HRC, at that.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 4, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
John Roberts will live for a hundred years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Only if he survives the current possessed vessel of Robert Taney's malevolent white supremacist ghost. Its current host is, of course, Antonin Scalia and it's said that the pure hatred of Taney's spirit can sustain its rotten mortal body for a long time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
post more SCOTUS fanfiction itt

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Imagine, if you will, that Scalia and Thomas, to pick two, retire/pass on, and the court is stacked with screaming liberals, then. Will Roberts remain Chief Justice? If so, imagine the legacy of the Roberts Court.

(Thank you, yes, I said Thomas twice, no idea why.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 5, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Warcabbit posted:

Imagine, if you will, that Scalia and Thomas, to pick two, retire/pass on, and the court is stacked with screaming liberals, then. Will Thomas remain Chief Justice? If so, imagine the legacy of the Thomas Court.

As much as I'd love to imagine the legacy of the Thomas Court, you probably mean Roberts.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Prayer in government proceedings is okay!

God drat it, Kennedy.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Alito's passive-agressive dissent from denial of Beard v. Aguilar is amusing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SedanChair posted:

My wish for John Roberts is that when Scalia and Kennedy finally die, he serves 30 more years in the court's minority.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uh, I'm pretty sure that the establishment clause was never intended to outlaw legislative prayers since they've been done since we first had legislatures in the US.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

To be fair, it doesn't seem like the appellees were arguing that it was never okay (acknowledging the chaplains in Congress), only that the nature of the prayer necessarily endorsed Christianity over other religions. The conclusions in II-B are more concerning, but even there, the decision mentions that the prayer is in the context of the ceremonial opening and not the actual content of the meeting.

It's not a complete shitshow, but it's also neither exactly great nor surprising, given the current makeup.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

To be fair, it doesn't seem like the appellees were arguing that it was never okay (acknowledging the chaplains in Congress), only that the nature of the prayer necessarily endorsed Christianity over other religions. The conclusions in II-B are more concerning, but even there, the decision mentions that the prayer is in the context of the ceremonial opening and not the actual content of the meeting.

It's not a complete shitshow, but it's also neither exactly great nor surprising, given the current makeup.

Yeah, the disagreement is about whether the town did enough to be prevent the opening prayers from being overly political, Breyer points out:

quote:

The U. S. House of Representatives, for example, pro- vides its guest chaplains with the following guidelines, which are designed to encourage the sorts of prayer that are consistent with the purpose of an invocation for a government body in a religiously pluralistic Nation:
“The guest chaplain should keep in mind that the House of Representatives is comprised of Members of many different faith traditions.
“The length of the prayer should not exceed 150 words.
“The prayer must be free from personal political views or partisan politics, from sectarian controversies, and from any intimations pertaining to foreign or domestic policy.” App. to Brief for Respondents 2a.
The town made no effort to promote a similarly inclusive prayer practice here. See post, at 21–22.

Basically they grabbed the list from the local chamber of congress which only contained christian churches, emailed them all and whoever replied was put on a list to be invited back later if they like. They didn't put any effort into reaching out to new people until they were sued. It seems more like they half assed it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure that the establishment clause was never intended to outlaw legislative prayers since they've been done since we first had legislatures in the US.

The main dissent also seems to take issue with characterizing the prayer as a legislature prayers, since town meetings have far more direct involvement of private citizens.

Daremyth
Jan 6, 2003

That darn cup...

OddObserver posted:

The main dissent also seems to take issue with characterizing the prayer as a legislature prayers, since town meetings have far more direct involvement of private citizens.

Yeah, Kagan had to address that in the dissent:

quote:

Greece’s Board indeed has legislative functions, as Congress and state assemblies do—and that means some opening pray­ers are allowed there. But much as in my hypotheticals, the Board’s meetings are also occasions for ordinary citi­zens to engage with and petition their government, often on highly individualized matters. That feature calls for Board members to exercise special care to ensure that the prayers offered are inclusive—that they respect each and every member of the community as an equal citizen.

Her dissent also takes issue with the degree of sectarianism and consistency of the prayers offered. For a decade, you have stuff like this opening the meeting:

quote:

“[F]ather, son, and Holy Spirit—it is with a due sense of reverence and awe that we come before you [today] seeking your blessing . . . . You are . . . a wise God, oh Lord, . . . as evidenced even in the plan of redemption that is fulfilled in Jesus Christ. We ask that you would give freely and abundantly wisdom to one and to all. . . in the name of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who lives with you and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever. Amen.

Imagine you're the Muslim citizen of the town of Greece and you come to a town meeting to talk about some zoning issue for your pool or something. Are you not going to feel a little bit disenfranchised following that opening?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This ruling is great, I can finally get Satan acknowledged at the local zoning committee.

Americans are too stupid to realize why acknowledging one church over another is bad. It's time for them to experience the horrors of sectarian violence -- ironically it'll probably be competing Christian faiths that argue over the exact wording of a public prayer.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
This is wholly consistent with the Roberts Court's theory of safeguards for minority rights, the well-known "tough titty" doctrine.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Daremyth posted:

Imagine you're the Muslim citizen of the town of Greece and you come to a town meeting to talk about some zoning issue for your pool or something. Are you not going to feel a little bit disenfranchised following that opening?
Citizen of Faith A is going to feel disenfranchised because a speaker before a town meeting talks about Faith B?

hobbesmaster posted:

Basically they grabbed the list from the local chamber of congress which only contained christian churches, emailed them all and whoever replied was put on a list to be invited back later if they like. They didn't put any effort into reaching out to new people until they were sued. It seems more like they half assed it.
So, what you're saying is that democracy works in that as soon as the members of Faith A, who felt as if too many speakers of Faith B were being used, spoke up about it, the town responded accordingly?

I don't have the time to read the opinion, so I read SCOTUSBlog instead:

SCOTUSBlog posted:

Treating the Kennedy opinion as controlling, because it spoke to a middle-ground approach between blocs of Justices who wanted to go further in one direction or the opposite, this is the constitutional prescription it provided for legislative prayers:

First: Such prayers are not confined to meetings of Congress or state legislatures, but may also be recited in the more intimate and familiar setting of local government meetings.

Second: The prayer portion of the meeting must be conducted only during a ceremonial part of the government body’s session, not mixed in with action on official policy.

Third: The body may invite anyone in the community to give a prayer and (if it has the money) could have a paid chaplain. The officials on the body may also lead the prayer.

Fourth: The body may not dictate what is in the prayers and what may not be in the prayers. A prayer may invoke the deity or deities of a given faith, and need not embrace the beliefs of multiple or all faiths.

Fifth: In allowing “sectarian” prayers, the body’s members may not “proselytize” — that is, promote one faith as the true faith — and may not require persons of different faith preferences, or of no faith, to take part, and may not criticize them if they do not take part.

Sixth: The “sectarian” prayers may not disparage or discriminate against a specific faith, but officials need not go to extra lengths to make sure that all faiths do get represented in the prayer sessions — even if that means one faith winds up as the dominant message.

Seventh: Such prayers are permissible when most, if not all, of the audience is made up of adults — thus raising the question whether the same outcome would apply if the audience were a group of children or youths, such as the Boy or Girl Scouts, appearing before a government agency or a government-sponsored group. (The Court did not abandon its view that, at public school graduations or at events sponsored by public schools, prayers are not allowed because they may tend to coerce young people in a religious way.)

Eighth: A court, in hearing a challenge to a prayer practice, is confined to examining “a pattern of prayers,” and does not have the authority to second-guess the content of individual prayer utterances. In judging such a pattern, the proper test is not whether it tends to put forth predominantly the beliefs of one faith, but whether it has the effect of coercing individuals who do not share that faith.
I'm fine with that as an initial takeaway, except for the paying a chaplain bit.

SCOTUSBlog also talks about the death of the "endorsement" paradigm and how this opinion heralds an embrace of the "coercion" test. I have less of an opinion on that, mainly because they're probably not exactly mutually exclusive (e.g., a sufficient amount of government "endorsement" begins to look like "coercion").

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Warszawa posted:

This is wholly consistent with the Roberts Court's theory of safeguards for minority rights, the well-known "tough titty" doctrine.

We need to get our heads together and make Tough Titties, inc v. ACLU a reality. bThen we can call the resulting common law application the "tough titty test".

Green Crayons posted:

Citizen of Faith A is going to feel disenfranchised because a speaker before a town meeting talks about Faith B?

I'm fine with that as an initial takeaway, except for the paying a chaplain bit.

The SC ruled this way despite knowing that in practice, prayers aren't going to be remotely evenly distributed, open to everyone, or free of disparaging language. It's impossible to create a standard of behavior for legislative prayer that won't function as an endorsement of majoritarian religious beliefs- which is why a ban on the practice makes so much more sense than this confusing, multipart result, which will be a nightmare to clarify and enforce.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 5, 2014

Daremyth
Jan 6, 2003

That darn cup...

Green Crayons posted:

I'll let Justice Kagan respond for me:

quote:

You are a party in a case going [*32] to trial; let's say you have filed suit against the government for violating one of your legal rights. The judge bangs his gavel to call the court to order, asks a minister to come to the front of the room, and instructs the 10 or so individuals present to rise for an opening prayer. The clergyman faces those in attendance and says: "Lord, God of all creation, . . . . We acknowledge the saving sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. We draw strength . . . from his resurrection at Easter. Jesus Christ, who took away the sins of the world, destroyed our death, through his dying and in his rising, he has restored our life. Blessed are you, who has raised up the Lord Jesus, you who will raise us, in our turn, and put us by His side. . . . Amen." App. 88a-89a. The judge then asks your lawyer to begin the trial.
I would hold that the government officials responsible for the above practices-that is, for prayer repeatedly invoking a single religion's beliefs in these settings-crossed a constitutional line. I have every confidence the Court would agree.

The town was repeatedly and consistently and emphatically invoking a very specific religion before a town meeting where petitioners and town members were present. If I was a member of a different faith and a meeting where I had business opened this way, I would for sure feel uncomfortable. This is the distinction that's drawn between legislative prayer and town meetings. Ordinary citizens are almost never participating in congressional proceedings, but are frequently party to town meetings.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its just clear that this ruling is just another way to force religion into the public sphere and side step the Constitution.

And I'm mad about it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Its just clear that this ruling is just another way to force religion into the public sphere and side step the Constitution.

And I'm mad about it.

Don't get mad, hail Satan!

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-abcarian-scotus-20140505,0,7672361.column#ixzz30sc66Zym

quote:

Let us stand now, unbowed and unfettered by arcane doctrines born of fearful minds in darkened times. Let us embrace the Luciferian impulse to eat of the Tree of Knowledge and dissipate our blissful and comforting delusions of old. Let us demand that individuals be judged for their concrete actions, not their fealty to arbitrary social norms and illusory categorizations. Let us reason our solutions with agnosticism in all things, holding fast only to that which is demonstrably true. Let us stand firm against any and all arbitrary authority that threatens the personal sovereignty of One or All. That which will not bend must break, and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise. It is Done. Hail Satan.

I would pay to see this prayer before a town meeting.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Lemming posted:

Don't get mad, hail Satan!

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-abcarian-scotus-20140505,0,7672361.column#ixzz30sc66Zym

I would pay to see this prayer before a town meeting.

You'll be pleased to hear those folks are working on something of a test case for you:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/satanic-temple-presses-baphomet-statue-despite-oklahoma-permit-halt-1447055

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Folderol posted:

You'll be pleased to hear those folks are working on something of a test case for you:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/satanic-temple-presses-baphomet-statue-despite-oklahoma-permit-halt-1447055

I can assure you that I am quite ecstatic over it.

quote:

The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair, where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation

These people are loving artists.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really dislike the idea of satanism type stuff as test cases because its just as silly and is swapping one silly thing for another. If they conflate atheism with satanism, they can just wave satanism in as a silly, but valid point of view and then say "what is the problem, we let EVERYONE in!" which isn't the point.

The point is that no one should be "in"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Daremyth posted:

I'll let Justice Kagan respond for me:
Scarey hypothetical that equates a jury trial with a town meeting? I don't see the relevance other than to conjure up a boogeyman.

Skimming Kagan's dissent, most (I think the licensing is an executive function, but I may be mistaken) of the activities going on strike me as legislative actions. So, no, nothing like a jury trial. Much more like a legislative session. Making a different set of standards for a professionalized class of legislators (Marsh) from a set of standards for citizens who engage in legislative functions (here) doesn't seem all desirable.

quote:

The town was repeatedly and consistently and emphatically invoking a very specific religion before a town meeting where petitioners and town members were present. If I was a member of a different faith and a meeting where I had business opened this way, I would for sure feel uncomfortable. This is the distinction that's drawn between legislative prayer and town meetings. Ordinary citizens are almost never participating in congressional proceedings, but are frequently party to town meetings.
I guess it's pretty good that the Constitution doesn't read "government shall not engage in an activity that implicates religious belief if that activity makes a citizen uncomfortable."

I see your distinction, and I raise you: it's one without a difference. Normal citizens and elected representatives should play by the same rules in legislative settings.

Jastiger posted:

And I'm mad about it.
"Force"? Religion isn't being unwillingly put into the public sphere. Private citizens are being asked to speak before a town meeting, thereby voluntarily putting religion into the public sphere. For the record, your anger finds no company with any of the Justices -- the primary dissent just thought there should be a broader spectrum of viewpoints represented, not that there should be no religious speakers at all.