Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

You forgot stage four, punching walls because inexplicably the game stops working. One bug fix leads to two more bugs, and down the rabbit hole we go.

And yet, it's STILL the best City God-Game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Stage five, delete plugins folder. Wept silently.

Edit: That's the problem with downloading a pack, who knows how it'll work in your computer, also the menu clutter in the game.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Yep, starting from scratch again. At least NAM, PEG stuff and the Fhozu region are working for me. Although it appears CAM is highly unstable on this version.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of CAM, is it worth it using it? I avoid it because then I'll have to replace a lot of the buildings, also I've heard it is not compatible with SPAM.

Same with the IRM, great mod but you can't use the downloaded industrial buildings. I use Paeng's http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27991-paengs-industrial-facelift/ and it helps to make the industrial areas look less poo poo.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I didn't see a link to the Citybound thread in here yet:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624115

And the official site:

http://cityboundsim.com/

It's still extremely early in development, but it looks like it has a lot of potential! It may not scratch quite the same itch as SC4 due to the more stylized graphics, but I'm still looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

benzine posted:

Haha, glad you could resolve the missing tree. I've found SC4 is divided in three parts downloading stuff, getting the game to work and playing the game.

Can't say I'm familiar with this, how does SimCity 4 play? :v:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Can't say I'm familiar with this, how does SimCity 4 play? :v:

At least for me, it is a relaxing time, that's why I return to this game after 11 years. I put some music or a podcast and build after that I explore the city, that an adding new buildings or exploring a new feature is always nice.

After that you get a crash to the desktop....

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's why I decided to just drop the pack altogether, get NAM, SPAM (because agriculture is awesome) most of the Pegasus things because they don't have any dependencies and seem to be very stable and just go from there. Whenever I add something new, I'm in control of what dependencies it needs and whether or not to fix the issue or just delete it because gently caress, I'm not going to spend an hour figuring out how to get something to run properly when all it adds is a a single building I don't care too much for anyway.

Seriously, for new players like me, my advices is to get the no plugins version of Fhuzo if you want a good region to play in, get NAM and SPAM and start playing. When you feel the need for a certain thing, say new parks, train stations or whatever, add them piece by piece as you go along. Downloading a mod pack and figuring out why it doesn't work is more trouble than it's worth, especially when half the fun is find, downloading and implementing the things that your city/region needs. It makes it a more personal endeavor, so to say. :)

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Ptarmigans posted:

If you just want to get straight in there, the OP has a region that a lot of people like.

Hmmm maybe I will give this a shot or just troll Simtropolis like Keetron suggested. I like the idea of having a random region so I could have something unique that is "my own" but seeing that that region is sort of a standard here, it might be interesting to do an interpretation. SC3k and SC2k were perfect for random regions le sigh.

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 26, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

benzine posted:

At least for me, it is a relaxing time, that's why I return to this game after 11 years. I put some music or a podcast and build after that I explore the city, that an adding new buildings or exploring a new feature is always nice.

After that you get a crash to the desktop....

I was only kidding around due to the ridiculous amount of time I've spent on finding and installing mods and making them place nice, but those are some nice shots you've got there!

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Anybody know what can cause issues like this?

These buildings are completely developed, they just seem to be missing random props, notably the floor and the entirety of the wind turbines. I used to have OldFashioned2.0, I deleted it and replaced it with 3.0 as well as installing the newest NAM and this happened. This has persisted even after removing everything from the plugins folder, the game is completely stock in this screenshot. I also can't change anything in the display menu, it's stuck on software rendering and everytime I change it and restart it just returns to software-based, which is the only thing I can think of that could be causing it.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
I have no idea. The thing in that shot is it's not just the props that aren't showing up - it's the lots as well. So it isn't just some sort of 3D loader thing, the game is only loading the building portion of each lot. At that point I'd try just reinstalling the game. Keep your savegames though; they're located (on windows) in Documents/SimCity 4.

For hardware mode, that's really weird. It must not be saving the setting. On a hunch - for windows, set your launch options to include the following: "render:hardware" or maybe "render:hardware 1" or something. I doubt this will work but it's worth a shot.

The screenshots in here have got me playing again as well! Anyone mind if I add a few to the OP?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

*PUNCH* posted:

I have no idea. The thing in that shot is it's not just the props that aren't showing up - it's the lots as well. So it isn't just some sort of 3D loader thing, the game is only loading the building portion of each lot. At that point I'd try just reinstalling the game. Keep your savegames though; they're located (on windows) in Documents/SimCity 4.

Yeah this is what I ended up doing, I just deleted the main SC4 file in steam and redownloaded it, it fixed it and didn't have any issues.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Well I'm starting a region after some hours this is the result:

Taeke, what happened to your region?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been very, very busy with uni and a new job so I haven't been able to play a lot, but I should be able to post an update today or tomorrow.

Jugderdemidiin
Oct 6, 2013
This is what I have been working on slowly over the last 2-3ish months afetr reading the SA thread. Population is 1.2m currently and will probably reach 3-4ish million once I am done. I only intend on building on the coastal areas and the lighter green highland that spreads behind it just south of the city, the rest of the region will be heavily forested. The unrendered tiles will probably just be deleted eventually as it is far too much effort to plant forests with decent density and the land is too rough to consider extending the city or farmland that far.

Higher quality Minus link here.
http://i5.minus.com/ic0Pl7TC9DYeI.png

Also has anyone ever tinkered with slope mods? I want to change the tolerance on heavy rail and the high speed rail mod to build much softer slopes than I can currently find with any other mod. I'm guessing I need to just open the slope mod file in Ilive's Reader and play around with values but would be grateful for any advice.

Jugderdemidiin fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 2, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Jugderdemidiin posted:

This is what I have been working on slowly over the last 2-3ish months afetr reading the SA thread. Population is 1.2m currently and will probably reach 3-4ish million once I am done. I only intend on building on the coastal areas and the lighter green highland that spreads behind it just south of the city, the rest of the region will be heavily forested. The unrendered tiles will probably just be deleted eventually as it is far too much effort to plant forests with decent density and the land is too rough to consider extending the city or farmland that far.

Higher quality Minus link here.
http://i5.minus.com/ic0Pl7TC9DYeI.png

Also has anyone ever tinkered with slope mods? I want to change the tolerance on heavy rail and the high speed rail mod to build much softer slopes than I can currently find with any other mod. I'm guessing I need to just open the slope mod file in Ilive's Reader and play around with values but would be grateful for any advice.

What is your region?

looking really nice, makes me look forward to the end result.

Jugderdemidiin
Oct 6, 2013

Keetron posted:

What is your region?

looking really nice, makes me look forward to the end result.

Thanks, I'm using a Red Sea heightmap that was uploaded to ST a few months ago. It was originally a 6x6 large city map but it made the terrain too rough and small so I stretched the size to 12x12 and did a lot of manual smoothing across the cities to get the end result in the image above.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Does anyone have recommendations for games that let you design transit systems in more detail than SC4?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sam. posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for games that let you design transit systems in more detail than SC4?

I would imagine Cities in Motion does that, seeing as that is the entire point of the game.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I would imagine Cities in Motion does that, seeing as that is the entire point of the game.

Is it any good?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

OpenTTD is fairly involved, I enjoy it but it's a lot more tedious than SC4.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Sam. posted:

Is it any good?

Its is really more of a transportation game, especially the first one which has fixed cities for you to do routes on. The second one does get close to a proper sim city replacement, just missing a good RCI model but its still a transportation game first and foremost. It does have a few issues (ticket pricing :argh:) but it is a game ive spent hours on building up mass transit on various maps, so Id recommend the 2nd atleast- never played the first.

Heres the thread for CiM2 for more info.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm using Old Fashioned 3.0 and I want to make pretty seawalls but for some reason Marrast's embankment pieces have this weird texture mismatch between the diagonal pieces and the non-diagonals as shown below:

Does anyone know what is causing that? I redownloaded Marrast's embankment set itself but the files all seem to be the same as the ones already in use.

Using the files from downloading it again doesn't fix it, having the files load last doesn't fix it, having the files load first doesn't fix it.

In the screenshots for the set it shows them all being the same (and different from either of these) texture, what gives? Old Fashioned 3.0 already seems to have the Marrast Mega pack vol01 dependency for the set.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

piratepilates posted:

I'm using Old Fashioned 3.0 and I want to make pretty seawalls but for some reason Marrast's embankment pieces have this weird texture mismatch between the diagonal pieces and the non-diagonals as shown below:

Does anyone know what is causing that? I redownloaded Marrast's embankment set itself but the files all seem to be the same as the ones already in use.

Using the files from downloading it again doesn't fix it, having the files load last doesn't fix it, having the files load first doesn't fix it.

In the screenshots for the set it shows them all being the same (and different from either of these) texture, what gives? Old Fashioned 3.0 already seems to have the Marrast Mega pack vol01 dependency for the set.

If I recall correctly that pack has a sidewalk mod, try to load it without it. The texture you see on the diagonal piece is the original.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

benzine posted:

If I recall correctly that pack has a sidewalk mod, try to load it without it. The texture you see on the diagonal piece is the original.

I found "Sidewalk New England Cobble.dat" but removing it doesn't affect that texture, and there doesn't appear to be any other (easily searchable) sidewalk textures in Old Fashioned.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

piratepilates posted:

I found "Sidewalk New England Cobble.dat" but removing it doesn't affect that texture, and there doesn't appear to be any other (easily searchable) sidewalk textures in Old Fashioned.

Found the mod it is: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2850

Try looking for this files, maybe it'll help. That is my best guess, sorry if it fails.

GB Plaza Txt Replace HD.dat
GB Plaza Txt Replace Lot Editor.dat

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

benzine posted:

Found the mod it is: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2850

Try looking for this files, maybe it'll help. That is my best guess, sorry if it fails.

GB Plaza Txt Replace HD.dat
GB Plaza Txt Replace Lot Editor.dat

GB Plaza Txt Replace HD.dat was the one and it all looks normal now that I've removed it, thanks!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

One of the things I love most about this game is how goddamn spergy everyone becomes.

"GRRRR, need to have my textures aligned!"
"HRMMM, this railroad needs to have a different slope!"
"ARGH, the loving grass on this loving windwill is a different color then the surrounding grass! gently caress!"

It makes me feel so much less of a weirdo that all I want is pretty skyscrapers and reasonable performance.

Speaking of which, goddamn is the game slow now and then. I get the feeling it is the huge amount of mods I put in but when running on cheeta, the game randomly pauses for a few seconds and then continues. It does this a couple of times per ingame month, mostly when growing stuff like farms or new buildings.
Is there a way to speed this up, other then deleting mods because I loving love my mods and only plan to add.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Keetron posted:

One of the things I love most about this game is how goddamn spergy everyone becomes.

"GRRRR, need to have my textures aligned!"
"HRMMM, this railroad needs to have a different slope!"
"ARGH, the loving grass on this loving windwill is a different color then the surrounding grass! gently caress!"

It makes me feel so much less of a weirdo that all I want is pretty skyscrapers and reasonable performance.

Speaking of which, goddamn is the game slow now and then. I get the feeling it is the huge amount of mods I put in but when running on cheeta, the game randomly pauses for a few seconds and then continues. It does this a couple of times per ingame month, mostly when growing stuff like farms or new buildings.
Is there a way to speed this up, other then deleting mods because I loving love my mods and only plan to add.

Seawalls are the greatest way to make you question your decisions. Gotta line up each tile with roads so that they're on the same level so they don't look weird and then use diggers carefully to carve out the rocks and then oops your bridge is gone!

But they look sooooooo good.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Keetron posted:

Is there a way to speed this up, other then deleting mods because I love my mods and only plan to add.
The slow down is the traffic simulator, which you can't really fix unless you remove the NAM mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You may be able to get speedup by switching between hardware and software rendering. Simcity 4 is a strange bird; graphics, UI and simulation don't run in different threads, and graphics uses functionality which doesn't properly exist on modern graphics cards and can cause greater slowdowns today than ten years ago.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Which mod do I download to develop some taste :(

All these pictures are so very pretty and all I'm succeeding at is making a generic sprawling suburban hellscape that I kinda make up as I go along. Right now I just build a crossroad across the map and slap side streets and low-density zones onto it. I'd like to get a nice varied high-density region going but I don't even know where to begin on that. Do you start with a core town that grows into a metropolis and then build suburbs, or do you build some Elizabeth, NJ poo poo hole for all your industry and garbage needs then build an actually nice place for their betters to live in right next door?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
My method is start with a simple village some farms at the edge of the map, build some DI. Then start another town, think of it as some shithole filled with dirty industry and people, you can easily make a 100k city.

Then start the real city, with a nice commercial downtown, if your commercial demand start to slow down. Build a new city, start to think in the region and not in the city as a whole. Easily said than done though, I've seen people build more organically filling the map with villages and farmland and slowly building.

For the suburbs I try to use them as filler space, one big building can house 2000 people. Think from high density to medium density, then low density and industries, although there are some HT buildings that look good in any place.

And finally the farmland and forests, connected with rails and a highway system.

This is one of my favourites CJ really helpful for the ideas.

Edit: Forgot to add GF's let's play.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410697

benzine fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 5, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I looked at GF's LP and it doesn't interest me at all. He's already got a working and diverse region going, and I can't tell whether he's doing things for game mechanics reasons or LP meta-plot reasons half the time. I'd like to see somebody build up a region that's functional and pretty, from the ground up. I can't even figure out how to build a diagonal road right now(the word "diagonal" occurs nowhere in SC4's PDF manual as far as I can tell).

I built an agrarian city called Somerville and right next to it I build a heavy industry dump zone called poo poo Pit. poo poo Pit is currently booming.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
For the diagonal road, just as you drag the road, try it in a diagonal way. Just for some reason it doesn't work on streets but try it on roads.

The real drag in this game is the transit network, NAm resolves more of that issues. That is the difficult part of the game. Don't forget to post pics of Somerville and poo poo Pit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do you guys still give your cities "serious" generic city names? I used to but now I just go with Pooptown, Gayville, and other classics like I used to in my SNES Simcity days. Coming up with a serious name for every little square of the region map is a pain in the rear end anyway.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I tried to give them serious names but then they all devolved into either nods to games/media I've enjoyed or dick/fart jokes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Do you guys still give your cities "serious" generic city names? I used to but now I just go with Pooptown, Gayville, and other classics like I used to in my SNES Simcity days. Coming up with a serious name for every little square of the region map is a pain in the rear end anyway.

Yeah. Half of them are just names of other places, though, like when I was reading up heavily on the Crusades suddenly there was a city named Acre and another one named Ibelin. The other half of the time, I just made up -burgs and -villes and -towns and occasionally "[Name] Township" for 'cities' I knew were never going to be made into proper cities and/or were going to be several small hamlets on the same map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Which mod do I download to develop some taste :(

All these pictures are so very pretty and all I'm succeeding at is making a generic sprawling suburban hellscape that I kinda make up as I go along. Right now I just build a crossroad across the map and slap side streets and low-density zones onto it. I'd like to get a nice varied high-density region going but I don't even know where to begin on that. Do you start with a core town that grows into a metropolis and then build suburbs, or do you build some Elizabeth, NJ poo poo hole for all your industry and garbage needs then build an actually nice place for their betters to live in right next door?

Disregarding your comment about starting a region from scratch, let's assume you download some region from the stack such as Eaton or Saul St Marie.

The lovely part is to forest all tiles you want to use. The initial trees are free but are a pain to put in place. There must be a mod somewhere to do this faster but you will have to find that yourself because I am lazy.

Where would people settle first? At the foot of a mountain, the place where the river flows into the sea or in the middle of fertiel farmland? Build some small settlements there with a few small farming plots, they have to work all this by hand/horse you know. Do this across the region in a bunch of different cities.

Now, how would they connect if they connect at all? Put in some railways and allow these to follow logical lines, so as straight as possible unless there are mountains in the way in which case you seek as little elevation as possible.

Revisit all your towns after they are connected. With the industrial age there will be bigger farms, so start drawing bigger farms. Use the shift key to prevent a roadgrid. Draw the farms spreading outwards from the town, but following the roads you made to have some outside connections other then rail.

You will see residential and commercial and all other demand spiking across the region now.

Build out your towns using the small farming plots as you can imagine the municipality would buy up one farm at the time to turn into shops and houses. Also, the bigger and more flat land there is in a region, the cheaper the land to build on so build spacious. You can put in a few small plots of dirty and manufacturing industry somewhere outside of town. This makes more sense in a harbor town then somewhere in the middle of Bumfuck, Alabama.
There is still no need for silly stuff like water, healthcare or schooling.

By now you can have most of your map/region that you think makes sense covered by farms and some small industry. Pick the town that is most likely to grow into a city, often near water. Do the same as above but remember to build in layers instead of going straight for a high-rise town. You can of course, the big region you build up that will have about a 100k citizens and three times that in jobs (mostly agriculture), will cause a huge demand in everything so you can build what you like.

• Locked thread