Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

What are your favorite movies that deal with revenge?

As far as more obvious choices go, I've seen Oldboy (and the others in the 'Vengeance trilogy'), Get Carter, Gladiator and enough of the rape & revenge subgenre for a lifetime or three. What else?

Are any adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo worth a drat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Oliver Reed posted:

As far as more obvious choices go, I've seen Oldboy (and the others in the 'Vengeance trilogy'), Get Carter, Gladiator and enough of the rape & revenge subgenre for a lifetime or three. What else?

I like the 2002 version of 'Monte Cristo w/ Jim Caviezel & Guy Pearce, if nothing more than solid popcorn entertainment. As for revenge films, what immediately came to mind is Kill Bill, and speaking of Oldboy, another Korean film I recently watched, The Man From Nowhere. How about The Sting?

For a comedy option, Norm Macdonald & Artie Lange in Dirty Work - along with Chevy Chase, Christopher Macdonald, and Chris Farley in one of his last roles.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Oliver Reed posted:

Ever seen Dead Man's Shoes?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oliver Reed posted:

Payback is an obvious choice (and available in both a regular and director's cut that has some significant changes) but I'd be moderately surprised if you haven't seen it already.

Not a movie, but the TV series Revenge is fairly entertaining, at least through S1. I haven't watched past that. It's kind of like a modern day retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

friendo55 posted:

I like the 2002 version of 'Monte Cristo w/ Jim Caviezel & Guy Pearce, if nothing more than solid popcorn entertainment. As for revenge films, what immediately came to mind is Kill Bill, and speaking of Oldboy, another Korean film I recently watched, The Man From Nowhere. How about The Sting?

For a comedy option, Norm Macdonald & Artie Lange in Dirty Work - along with Chevy Chase, Christopher Macdonald, and Chris Farley in one of his last roles.

Got Kill Bill and The Sting covered. I have The Man From Nowhere in my queue so I'll get on that! And Norm Macdonald, Chevy Chase and Artie Lang? Sounds funny enough.

Parachute posted:

Ever seen Dead Man's Shoes?

Nope, but looks awesome. Thank you.

regulargonzalez posted:

Payback is an obvious choice (and available in both a regular and director's cut that has some significant changes) but I'd be moderately surprised if you haven't seen it already.

Not a movie, but the TV series Revenge is fairly entertaining, at least through S1. I haven't watched past that. It's kind of like a modern day retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Yeah, I've seen Payback. Enjoyed the cut I saw (regular/theatrical cut, I think?) and of course, the Lee Marvin film Point Blank even more. And the Parker books aren't all that bad for some light reading.

I'll check out Revenge since I'm after a new TV series to watch.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Oliver Reed posted:

Point Blank, Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Shotgun Stories, The Limey, La Haine, and the new release Blue Ruin is very much worth a look.

I'm assuming basically everyone has seen Memento by now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kind Hearts and Coronets is a comedy and a much slower burn than the other recommendations, but it probably still counts. Straw Dogs and Munich, too.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I never thought Munich got the credit it deserved, and the movie is basically a treatise on revenge, or maybe a revenge fantasy gone wrong. Unforgiven and The Outlaw Josie Wales are nice options if you like Clint Eastwood and Westerns.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

GimpChimp posted:

Point Blank, Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Shotgun Stories, The Limey, La Haine, and the new release Blue Ruin is very much worth a look.

I'm assuming basically everyone has seen Memento by now.

Some nice looking stuff here. The Limey is actually worth a watch? I remember reading/hearing really bad stuff about it. Not that it matters much, just sorta surprised to see its name pop up.

morestuff posted:

Kind Hearts and Coronets is a comedy and a much slower burn than the other recommendations, but it probably still counts. Straw Dogs and Munich, too.

I've seen Straw Dogs (not the remake, though) and Munich (back when it came out). I might re-watch both. And the other film you mentioned is new to me, so thank you.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I never thought Munich got the credit it deserved, and the movie is basically a treatise on revenge, or maybe a revenge fantasy gone wrong. Unforgiven and The Outlaw Josie Wales are nice options if you like Clint Eastwood and Westerns.

Oh yeah, big fan of Clint Eastwood and those are two favorites.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Oliver Reed posted:

Some nice looking stuff here. The Limey is actually worth a watch? I remember reading/hearing really bad stuff about it. Not that it matters much, just sorta surprised to see its name pop up.

It's flawed but refreshingly ambitious, Terence Stamp is great, and the critical response was largely positive. I don't think you'll regret seeing it, especially if you liked Get Carter which it seemed to me to both take inspiration from and respond to.

As an aside, if you take to it: it's got a DVD commentary that's actually worth listening to, as the film's writer Lem Dobbs tears into Soderbergh (who's also there to defend himself) for all the changes he made to the script, which is a seemingly unique exchange in itself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GimpChimp posted:

It's flawed but refreshingly ambitious, Terence Stamp is great, and the critical response was largely positive. I don't think you'll regret seeing it, especially if you liked Get Carter which it seemed to me to both take inspiration from and respond to.

As an aside, if you take to it: it's got a DVD commentary that's actually worth listening to, as the film's writer Lem Dobbs tears into Soderbergh (who's also there to defend himself) for all the changes he made to the script, which is a seemingly unique exchange in itself.

Every Soderbergh commentary is a treat,

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Marv's story in Sin City is a great noir revenge piece.

edit: Rolling Thunder is really good too.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 6, 2014

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

GimpChimp posted:

Okay cool, I'll watch it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Marv's story in Sin City is a great noir revenge piece.

edit: Rolling Thunder is really good too.

Oh man, Rolling Thunder is indeed great. It basically inspired my question. Completely slipped my mind when I made my post.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Check out I Saw the Devil if you haven't seen it. hosed up Korean revenge story.

King Geedorah
Apr 29, 2014

Mmm delicious rap snitch knishes
Someone gives me a good Monster movie. I'm open to just about anything but I really enjoyed 'The Host', and something like Pacific Rim was sorta OK as a mindless blow poo poo up movie.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Q: the Winged Serpent
The Cat
Humanoids from the Deep

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Are there any movies that are like Wolfenstein? I watched Captain America: Winter Soldier yesterday and the tiny part with the nazis experimenting on the Winter Soldier was really cool, so any movies with that vibe would be highly appreciated.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Eight Is Legend posted:

Are there any movies that are like Wolfenstein? I watched Captain America: Winter Soldier yesterday and the tiny part with the nazis experimenting on the Winter Soldier was really cool, so any movies with that vibe would be highly appreciated.

Frankenstein's Army should fit the bill perfectly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

King Geedorah posted:

Someone gives me a good Monster movie. I'm open to just about anything but I really enjoyed 'The Host', and something like Pacific Rim was sorta OK as a mindless blow poo poo up movie.

Gojira/Godzilla 1954, Cloverfield.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

King Geedorah posted:

The Mist, Slither, Trollhunter

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Definitely Hellboy. The villains are monsters, the heroes are monsters, there's big horrendous Lovecraftian monsters and little ugly critters, and everything in between.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

King Geedorah posted:

If you want some cheesy b-movies...

Inseminoid
Cellar Dweller
Rawhead Rex
The Brain (1988)
Galaxy of Terror

Maybe Feast for something recent? Don't like it myself but you might.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What are some good movies that use the soundtrack as a theme of the movie, something like High Fidelity, or August Rush to a lesser extent.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

yoohoo posted:

What are some good movies that use the soundtrack as a theme of the movie, something like High Fidelity, or August Rush to a lesser extent.

The Blues Brothers

King Geedorah
Apr 29, 2014

Mmm delicious rap snitch knishes

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Mist, Slither, Trollhunter

Trollhunter was amazing, thanks for the recommend!

Didn't expect anything going in... \o/

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
I'm looking for films where voice-over is used in an interesting way. Not just for exposition, but as an autonomous, enriching level of narrative. Any suggestions?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Joakim Brecht posted:

I'm looking for films where voice-over is used in an interesting way. Not just for exposition, but as an autonomous, enriching level of narrative. Any suggestions?

Stranger Than Fiction?

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Joakim Brecht posted:

Spring in a Small Town (the 1948 version, Last Year in Marienbad, News From Home, Millenium Mambo (or a bunch of other Hou Hsiao-Hsien - Dust in the Wind, A Time to Live and a Time to Die), A Man Escaped (again, or a bunch of Bresson), Prospero's Book, those Terence Malick movies, Chris Marker.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

yoohoo posted:

American Graffiti.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Joakim Brecht posted:

The Informant is the best example I can think of.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Joakim Brecht posted:

Maybe Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Joakim Brecht posted:

American Beauty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know if Lester's narration really "enriches" American Beauty. It would be a much better film if his smug transcendent calm at the end were a farce rather than something you're actually supposed to take at face value, but the voiceover doesn't leave you much room for doubt.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The narration in Blast of Silence is really interesting. It's second-person, a distinct character from the protagonist, and has some great punchy noir writing:

quote:

They all hate the gun they hire. When people look at you, baby boy Frankie Bono, they see death. Death across the counter.

quote:

You know the type. Second-string syndicate boss with too much ambition and a mustache to hide the fact he has lips like a woman. The kind of face you hate.

quote:

A killer who doesn't kill gets killed.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

How about some movies where death and falling in love are NOT key plot points. Excluding plotless films ala Baraka.

This is surprisingly difficult. My Dinner With Andre (which is pretty close to a plotless film itself), 2001 is close but a character death late in the film disqualifies it. Two, if you count HAL. The Tenant has a couple suicide attempts but no actual deaths.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 10, 2014

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Is there a good documentary or docudrama about the rise of gangsta rap on the West Coast, especially the story of Death Row Records? I know there's Notorious, but I'm looking for something that focuses more on the genre itself than one specific person.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

regulargonzalez posted:

How about some movies where death and falling in love are NOT key plot points. Excluding plotless films ala Baraka.

This is surprisingly difficult. My Dinner With Andre (which is pretty close to a plotless film itself), 2001 is close but a character death late in the film disqualifies it. Two, if you count HAL. The Tenant has a couple suicide attempts but no actual deaths.
All About Eve, American Graffiti, 12 Angry Men, A Clockwork Orange, Repo Man, Lawrence of Arabia, Stalker, Inside Llewyn Davis (unless abortion counts), Paris, Texas, The Producers, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Stray Dog, Withnail & I, The Browning Version, The Comedy, In the Loop, Glengarry Glen Ross, Police, Adjective, 12:08 East of Bucharest, The Social Network, Stand By Me, Waiting for Guffman, The Lost Weekend, The Odd Couple, Broken Flowers, etc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

All About Eve, American Graffiti, 12 Angry Men, A Clockwork Orange, Repo Man, Lawrence of Arabia, Stalker, Inside Llewyn Davis (unless abortion counts), Paris, Texas, The Producers, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Stray Dog, Withnail & I, The Browning Version, The Comedy, In the Loop, Glengarry Glen Ross, Police, Adjective, 12:08 East of Bucharest, The Social Network, Stand By Me, Waiting for Guffman, The Lost Weekend, The Odd Couple, Broken Flowers, etc.

Good list, though I'd argue that abortion counts (and so 4 Months... is also d/q'd) and also Stand By Me's entire plot conceit revolves around a dead body. Several I haven't seen though, thanks.

King of Comedy also qualifies if memory serves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Joakim Brecht posted:

The Big Lebowski.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Joakim Brecht posted:

The Naked City has some really interesting voice-over. It has a narrator who doesn't show up in the film - he just narrates it - and he ducks a lot of the noir trends about voice narration, especially in a few key scenes.

• Locked thread