Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We all have failed projects, but why did you have to fail with that project? So much potential!

(it's cool, poo poo happens)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
It's cool, I bought a '78 Suzuki GS400 in Fall 2012, with the intention of fixing it up to be my First Bike in Spring 2013.

Initial outlay of $250, then another $150 in parts, then the realization that titling it would involve finding the last titled owner, who wasn't the seller.

Me: "I need to find the last person who registered it, so he can sign the title over.
PO: "Well, it was my uncle's bike, he gave it to me because he wasn't going to finish the project."
Me: "Great, can I have your uncle's number?"
:downs: "Well I don't think he ever registered it, his friend gave it to him as a gift because he wanted to fix it up."
Me: "Well, okay. Can I have that friend's number?"
:downs: "Well, he died in a bike accident last summer."

I sold it for parts a few months ago for $50. :smithicide:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What is it with people and motorcycle titles that makes it so much more of a problem with used bikes than with used cars.

I keep all my motorcycle records in the same binder as my car records, it's not that hard.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Krakkles posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda hate you a little.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You better start a new, better project to regain our love.

Guinness posted:

I am become MustardFacial, the destroyer of cars.

I deserve all of this.

I will redeem myself for this neglect. I have hit rock bottom, only now am I ready to climb back out.

(I just need to decide on a car)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Trips posted:

It's cool, I bought a '78 Suzuki GS400 in Fall 2012, with the intention of fixing it up to be my First Bike in Spring 2013.

Initial outlay of $250, then another $150 in parts, then the realization that titling it would involve finding the last titled owner, who wasn't the seller.

Me: "I need to find the last person who registered it, so he can sign the title over.
PO: "Well, it was my uncle's bike, he gave it to me because he wasn't going to finish the project."
Me: "Great, can I have your uncle's number?"
:downs: "Well I don't think he ever registered it, his friend gave it to him as a gift because he wanted to fix it up."
Me: "Well, okay. Can I have that friend's number?"
:downs: "Well, he died in a bike accident last summer."

I sold it for parts a few months ago for $50. :smithicide:

At this point what could you even do? Would you have to prove that chain of ownership to the DMV, and that the dude who had it is dead, to get a new title?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My last rotary project (two, actually, friend and I had co-ownership of both) was hauled away on a flatbed as well due to dead engines and not enough money to save them. It's a lovely loving feeling.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Guinness posted:

What is it with people and motorcycle titles that makes it so much more of a problem with used bikes than with used cars.

I keep all my motorcycle records in the same binder as my car records, it's not that hard.

Most places didn't require bikes to have titles until something like the mid-80s, so in many cases for older bikes they don't exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it falls under the "no title" rules at that point. Gotta check the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, get a bill of sale, and then prepare to spend a bunch of extra time at the DMV getting everything sorted out.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

xzzy posted:

I think it falls under the "no title" rules at that point. Gotta check the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, get a bill of sale, and then prepare to spend a bunch of extra time at the DMV getting everything sorted out.

I did the first two, then the Ohio DMV told me a bill of sale doesn't give me any claim to register it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

I did the first two, then the Ohio DMV told me a bill of sale doesn't give me any claim to register it.

Sounds like bullshit.. they have to have some procedure somewhere for dealing with those cases. I mean it's easy to track a car now with everything in a database somewhere, but before that was a reality there had to be some way to get a clean title if the old one burned in a house fire or the vehicle sat in a barn for 50 years.

But I'm no expert on each state's individual process, I just know the general idea. :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Sounds like bullshit.. they have to have some procedure somewhere for dealing with those cases. I mean it's easy to track a car now with everything in a database somewhere, but before that was a reality there had to be some way to get a clean title if the old one burned in a house fire or the vehicle sat in a barn for 50 years.

But I'm no expert on each state's individual process, I just know the general idea. :v:

Remember that any actual DMV procedures may or may not exist/be legal/be possible based on how badly the person behind the counter needs his/her coffee/cigarette/poo poo break.

Edit: but even if you're sure they're loving with you, what're you going to do? The person at the counter shuts you down and moves on, the DMV website can't answer all possible questions ("do i need a title for an out-of-state purchased 1978 motorcycle with a bill of sale?") and at least in CA the phone system is always "experiencing higher than usual call volume" meaning you will never ever get help.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 5, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, in Colorado you get a bond title, which basically means you buy a bond (basically insurance) for the appraised value of the vehicle, and search for the rightful owner. If the owner comes forward at any time within two or three years and makes a claim to it, they get paid for the vehicle, or maybe they get the vehicle back and you get paid, or whatever. After the time period they forfeit their right to it.

I had to do that once just because certain states only issue "salvage certificates" instead of "salvage titles" so legally the car is title-less. The owners had no claim to the car so obviously I had no issues during the bond period but I can imagine it getting ugly if someone sold a car that wasn't theirs and the legal owner was slow (but not too slow) in getting around to getting their vehicle back.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

MustardFacial posted:

All of that neglect is from me, which is why I feel extra bad. Story goes like this:
I bought it for $100 with everything working except a seized parking brake and a dead battery. Intending to run it in Chumpcar we tore the interior out, and removed most of the running gear for a rebuild/refresh. Pulled the rotary apart because we only ever got it to start a handful of times and it would never stay alive longer than a few minutes. Found out it was toast, and then one guy got engaged and could no longer afford it. 4 months later I also got engaged. The whole project fizzled out after that. Most of the interior got accidentally thrown out by my father, the transmission is sitting in a shed, the brakes and electricals went with one of the other guys and I've lost track of him. All that is left is an empty shell and the diff.

About a year ago I hit on the idea of putting everything back together and doing an LS conversion (given that the original engine was toast anyways). But once I took inventory of what I had left I lost heart in it. Parked it in the field and left it for 3 years. :sigh:

[edit] when I bought it, it looked like this:

Man this was a lot easier to stomach before you posted the original car. You monster.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Man this was a lot easier to stomach before you posted the original car. You monster.

That picture was straight after a wash. It still didn't run, the passenger door didn't open, the brakes were seized, and the underside was covered in rust. But all the parts were there, and it had potential. If I had a bit more money and didn't have a hard on for crapcan racing, it could've been a real nice project.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

At this point what could you even do? Would you have to prove that chain of ownership to the DMV, and that the dude who had it is dead, to get a new title?

Here's one area where Georgia is super easy to work with. For cars and bikes 25+ years old, all you need is a bill of sale and the VIN for registration (and money for fees/taxes, of course). I suppose they check the VIN to see if it has been reported stolen, but there is no monkeying around with long-lost POs on older cars and bikes here.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Kwik posted:

If I showed some friends of mine that, their biggest gripe would be the new NY yellow and blue plates. When I got my new car in January, the dealer actually apologized in advance that all they had were the yellow plates. I don't know why, but apparently there has been quite the negative reaction to them- I kind of like 'em. Though, those plates on that car can make me see the negative argument.

Because they look like poo poo when compared to this:

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

MustardFacial posted:

I deserve all of this.

I will redeem myself for this neglect. I have hit rock bottom, only now am I ready to climb back out.

(I just need to decide on a car)

As one of the aforementioned "got engaged" gentlemen, it's also partly my fault that this got neglected as it did. So, I feel the shame just as much. Especially because we had so many "It's working!" moments.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everyday Lurker posted:

You sure you ought to be complaining about NY plates?

Half of the ones you see on the road have paint so hosed up it's impossible to actually read them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Trips posted:

The Ohio DMV sucks. I sold the EXP to a guy from Ohio and he needed the signing of the title to be notarized or else they wouldn't accept it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Kwik posted:

If I showed some friends of mine that, their biggest gripe would be the new NY yellow and blue plates. When I got my new car in January, the dealer actually apologized in advance that all they had were the yellow plates. I don't know why, but apparently there has been quite the negative reaction to them- I kind of like 'em. Though, those plates on that car can make me see the negative argument.

I think the hate is from non-native New Yorkers or younger people because that plate takes me back in time and I love it.

There's a similar plate in VA that I love but it has don't tread on me written on it. Even though the phrase itself is comes from good place all the teaparty idiots around here get the plate and I just don't want to be associated with that group.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

You sure you ought to be complaining about NY plates?

Half of the ones you see on the road have paint so hosed up it's impossible to actually read them.

I've heard that the yellow NM plates are the most-stolen plates in the country

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

These were so bad, they only made a million and a half, and the ones that never got used were melted down to make the current plates.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
But seriously, plate chat, Delaware may suck but their all white on black plate owns.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

6675636b20796f75 posted:

I think the hate is from non-native New Yorkers or younger people because that plate takes me back in time and I love it.

There's a similar plate in VA that I love but it has don't tread on me written on it. Even though the phrase itself is comes from good place all the teaparty idiots around here get the plate and I just don't want to be associated with that group.

I came real close to ordering this one

But I don't think I had the right scumbag car to pull it off

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Everyday Lurker posted:

I am a giant nerd and all I thought upon seeing this was "is that a hexadecimal number or just random chance?"

(also, 6675636b20796f75, t:mad: you too! :haw:)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I came real close to ordering this one

But I don't think I had the right scumbag car to pull it off

That's a plate begging for a Rover.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some guy got the vanity plate NO PLATE a while ago.

He was cited literally hundreds of times for various infractions by police writing "no plate" if the perp in some incident had no plates on their car.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

(the DMV is terrible car stuff. Seriously.)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

6675636b20796f75 posted:

The Gadsden Flag plate is one of the things I look for during my commute as part of spotting/avoiding retarded assholes early. Almost every car I see with one of them is being driven by someone who seems to be trying to "win" at traffic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

angryhampster posted:

Where in Iowa are you? I've seen some seriously atrocious stuff around IC/CR.

I feel bad because I -am- that guy right now in Des Moines. My truck's kinda missing the chinplate, grille, and has both fenders and the hood beaten to poo poo and held on with sheet metal screws and hate. drat deer.

In my defense, it's going to the scrappers as soon as I find something else to drive that isn't some rear end in a top hat asking KBB Excellent prices for a flood-damaged rustbucket.

xzzy posted:

Maintain it like a deer is going to dive through your windshield within the next week.

Exactly. They'll pull that poo poo, too, just as soon as you fix anything cosmetic.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 6, 2014

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MrChips posted:

That's a plate begging for a Rover.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Wisco plates for lyfe!

EDIT: Whoa! Fixed

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 6, 2014

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Hangin' out
Down the street
The same old thing
We did last week

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

They're certainly BIG fuckers.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Preoptopus posted:

Wisco plates for lyfe!

EDIT: Whoa! Fixed

Don't change what ain't broke

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Kwik posted:

That's an Iowa plate though and he chose to pay more for a yellow one. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of plates, I saw a Volt tonight with "EF GAS" on each bumper.

I guess he bought the model that doesn't come with a gas engine in it. :downs:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZPqQPAnNc

I wish it showed better in the video, but it looked like that fucker was bouncing about 2 inches on every rotation of the tire.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Do you hear anything in the cab when wheels are doing that? I see that happening from time to time and I always wonder if it's just silent or what.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sorry for the blurriness, started pulling away as the light changed. Not as terrible as I thought when I snapped it, as I found the IS250 is RWD, so at least the donut is in the not-shittiest part; still, not used to seeing rolling crash survivors in Las Vegas, unlike my time in Miami. :unsmith:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Do you hear anything in the cab when wheels are doing that? I see that happening from time to time and I always wonder if it's just silent or what.

People get used to the sounds their car makes with deferred maintenance and familiar sounds get tuned out real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

If it's on the front the steering wheel shakes a ton.

Rear wheels, rattles the whole car. Front wheels do too but it's mostly noticeable in the steering.