Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Durendal posted:

which in turn lead me to the local band Slipknot.

And I though Whitechapel being from my city was bad. Sorry man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Personperson14 posted:

And I though Whitechapel being from my city was bad. Sorry man.

Ah, c'mon, Whitechapel isn't THAT bad. I mean, they're not good by any means but they're at least a bit of fun here and there. They opened for Gwar last year and they got a really loving good mosh pit going.

I may be old but I still love me a good mosh pit. I just can't go quite as hard as I used to because I don't have a lot of bones left that weren't broken at some point in my 20s from doing something stupid.

e: But if you want to talk about what bands from your town are embarrassing, welp... how 'bout Evanescence :ughh:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fenrir posted:

I must be weird, then. The only Linkin Park album I could ever listen to was Thousand Suns, and... poo poo I still like a good bit of that one. If you're talking about the ~crawling in my skiiiiin~ one (which I'm guessing you and a few of the others who have posted about it are), I guess I was just too old for that or something.

Now that I really think of it though, I'd have probably listened to that too if it came out when I was like 13.

I was in high school when it came out. I still say it's a very catchy cd. I don't think I listened to their follow-up as I discovered metal shortly thereafter.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fenrir posted:

Ah, c'mon, Whitechapel isn't THAT bad. I mean, they're not good by any means but they're at least a bit of fun here and there. They opened for Gwar last year and they got a really loving good mosh pit going.

I may be old but I still love me a good mosh pit. I just can't go quite as hard as I used to because I don't have a lot of bones left that weren't broken at some point in my 20s from doing something stupid.

e: But if you want to talk about what bands from your town are embarrassing, welp... how 'bout Evanescence :ughh:

Killswitch Engage is from my state. :cripes:

e: Within the Ruins, too. And Godsmack.

Oh well. I grew up in Rhode Island, and Vital Remains is from there. :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Black Dahlia Murder is from my area. Brian Eschbach even went to my tiny private high school. We could have worse representatives but they aren't great by any means.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Black Dahlia Murder is from my area. Brian Eschbach even went to my tiny private high school. We could have worse representatives but they aren't great by any means.

Hey that Castlevania 2 song owned :colbert:

Fake edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwbj2gzzTpk

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
As weird as this sounds, my first ever metal band was Korpiklaani. I was Pandora'd on Tempest (who still rule) and came across the song Wooden Pints. Prior to that I listened to a lot of poo poo and nu-metal that I won't fess up to.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Optimum Gulps posted:

Necro-tron (haven't seen him on here in ages) posted this on Facebook today and I can't get enough of it. There're some incredible bands there, a couple of which I'd never heard of...Utumno specifically, goddamn. http://www.noecho.net/lists/11-underrated-records-early-90s-death-metal-underground-by-jason-netherton

You should probably sit and read through this group on last.fm.

It's far, far from complete.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Lil B being on that group's top artists is absolutely amazing. BasedGod knows no barriers.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Winds of Plague. All that is wrong with current "popular" metal all in one band.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Man, I didn't even listen to much metal until a couple years ago, though my first non-radio metal song I remember enjoying was the Megadeth track that was on the Super Mario Bros movie soundtrack (my first CD!).

Also my mom might was a couple years ahead of Pat O'Brien in highschool, that's all my area has. Not a lot of metal comes from northern Kentucky, good OR embarrassing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Killswitch Engage is from my state. :cripes:

e: Within the Ruins, too. And Godsmack.

Oh well. I grew up in Rhode Island, and Vital Remains is from there. :colbert:

is that like the only band from here?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muike posted:

is that like the only band from here?

I can't even think of any bands from Maryland aside from Jimmie's Chicken Shack (who were great) and I think one guy from Hootie and the Blowfish was from a town over but that hardly counts.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kumbamontu posted:

Also Hate Crew Deathroll. Bodom Beach Terror is the best.

Yes. Yessssss!

Sun's going down
Moon's rising high
We'll pay you Bodom beach terror! :black101:

So obviously I had some Bodom in my past. And, uh, some Anette-era Nightwish on the tail end there. We all need second chances.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i looked it up and found out The Body are from providence, so that's really cool.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IRQ posted:

I can't even think of any bands from Maryland aside from Jimmie's Chicken Shack (who were great) and I think one guy from Hootie and the Blowfish was from a town over but that hardly counts.

Dying Fetus, Clutch, Misery Index, Pig Destroyer (sorta)

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Not a lot of metal comes from northern Kentucky, good OR embarrassing.

Is Louisville considered northern Kentucky? Cause Panopticon comes from there and the dude loving rules! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iax_VhmKqcU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Well of course Panopticon rules.

All of the good metal ends up in Louisville :sigh:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Cheapsteaks posted:

Also my mom might was a couple years ahead of Pat O'Brien in highschool, that's all my area has. Not a lot of metal comes from northern Kentucky, good OR embarrassing.

Abominant are from Kentucky. Their first few albums were death metal with hints of early melodeath, around 2000-02 they were quite solidly melodeath but still firmly had the death metal part in there, and more recently they've gone back to playing more straight-forward death metal. Here's one from that middle melodeath period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QmTscqhuOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The only decent metal band I can think of from South Carolina off the top of my head is Nile, so we've got that going for us!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vargatron posted:

The only decent metal band I can think of from South Carolina off the top of my head is Nile, so we've got that going for us!

Well, when the only good one you can think of is loving Nile, that's pretty goddamn good. Massachusetts gave the world Unearth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's being a bit disingenuous toward metal in Massachusetts. Boston alone produced Dream Theater, Isis, maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot, Grief and Revocation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

That's being a bit disingenuous toward metal in Massachusetts. Boston alone produced Dream Theater, Isis, maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot, Grief and Revocation.
I don't give a poo poo what it says on Wikipedia, Dream Theater is a Long Island band. Their first show was in Bay Shore.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Anal oval office

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
My city produced Infester, Sanctuary, Queensryche, Culprit, Serpens Aeon, and Drawn & Quartered, and is currently home to Inquisition. Pretty good for a bunch of metrosexual latte-drinkers, huh :smugdog:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I don't know, I think we're doing alright.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I almost gave up on Cryptopsy after The Unspoken King, but it turns out their self-titled album is pretty loving good, especially now that Matt has stopped doing that loving metalcore scream.

I know I'm late on this, but holy poo poo. :black101:

e: A lot of metal just passed me by in the past two years.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 5, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Going to college in Boston doesn't make them a Boston band. Dream Theater is from New York.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like how you guys are all picking on that and ignoring every other band. Not to mention metalcore like Converge and Cave In. Massachusetts does not have the right to complain about a lack of good music coming from their state.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Agalloch's The Serpent & The Sphere is up for streaming: http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273140/first-listen-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere

gently caress sleep bros.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
When did Megadeth put out ANOTHER album? I found Super Collider while I was walking in a Walmart and had to buy it. I thought Endgame was their most recent album. Dudes are just song machines.

Their cover of Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat was also pretty good at the back of the disk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbgUeRwYwI

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dude super collider is the worst poo poo they've ever done I'm sorry you probably wasted like 20 bucks on it

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NTT posted:

When did Megadeth put out ANOTHER album? I found Super Collider while I was walking in a Walmart and had to buy it. I thought Endgame was their most recent album. Dudes are just song machines.

Their cover of Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat was also pretty good at the back of the disk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbgUeRwYwI
It's pretty telling when the first positive thing you mention is a cover

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Megadeth is Megabad now and has been for quite some time sorry.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

im gay posted:

Agalloch's The Serpent & The Sphere is up for streaming: http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273140/first-listen-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere

Thank you for the heads up! I'll listen to it on the way home.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

im gay posted:

Surprise: It totally rules.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Personperson14 posted:

Megadeth is Megabad now and has been for quite some time sorry.

Since about '83, yeah.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

im gay posted:

Holy crap, this rules so far. Staying up late to enjoy it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

im gay posted:

I saw this on a break at work and been aching to get home ever since so I could listen to it.

Up to Astral Dialogue now, and god bloody drat this rules so hard. Loving the production, too. Very clear, but not in a weak way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

OT: I've been reading deathmetal.org which is one of S.R. Prozac's (of anus.com) sites. I found myself agreeing with a lot of his statements about the current state of metal: modern metal is crap, metal has become a uniform and a marketing niche to be pandered to, metal has had Quality Control issues since the mid-90's, there is too much loving metal being released (yes, agreeing with him is the first sign of something in my brain breaking).

Then you read his album reviews and apparently everyone he doesn't care for is playing rock music. Deathspell Omega is rock, Entombed's Clandestine is a rock album.

Can anyone recommend a review site or board that isn't utterly batshit? Most of the place I used to go to talk metal are either shut down or have turned into a bunch of friends with inside jokes.