Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Internet Kraken posted:

my character is based of Sigmund from Crawl

You monster.

I wanted to do the same thing with rushing for the Brotherhood of Blood, but I can't handle the chariot fight on my own. I always end up in a situation where I need to be in one of the alcoves and there are two or three skeletons who will wail on my shield until I run out of stamina. With another person, no matter how incompetent, there to distract skeletons I can handle things just fine.

edit: eventually I didn't find anyone to summon and I gave up. Did my low level PVP as a bellbro.

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

"check out my hilarious video compilation of idiots getting killed by smelter haha"

ignore most of them making it pretty far against the buffed up smelter demon while their sunbro stands around doing nothing to specifically put them into a compilation video of idiots dying. :psyduck: well no poo poo they died

at least the dark souls tradition of lovely music and monkey cheese anime clips lived on

50% of smelter co-op is you doing all the work, then the host dying when smelter does the AOE blast. 40% is you nearly killing Smelter then the host dying like an idiot. Remaining 10% are successes.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Kaldaris posted:

If I'm only dipping into Faith, is it worth RAWing a chime?

I may use some Skeptic Spice to lower a nice spear to my stupid faithless heathen level.

Only lightning infusion affects miracles. Stick to lightning.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Heeeere comes the fun police.

gently caress off fun internal affairs

Genocyber posted:

50% of smelter co-op is you doing all the work, then the host dying when smelter does the AOE blast. 40% is you nearly killing Smelter then the host dying like an idiot. Remaining 10% are successes.

I know, its just how in those examples from like the middle of the video on the sunbro clearly wasnt even trying so it defeats its own purpose. Guess thats why its frontloaded with the better examples of "why am I helping again"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Oblivious posted:

Heeeere comes the fun police.

If someone's summoning two phantoms for a boss commonly regarded as one of the most difficult in the game, it's probably because they need the help. It's pretty silly to make a video of people failing at said boss while you're literally standing there sandbagging and making it harder for them on purpose. My favorite part of the video is when smelter is like one hit from death and Afro puts away his chime and backs off across the room just to watch the host get leveled ten seconds later. I mean poo poo, if you're going to be a jerk at least Lifedrain Patch the host after killing the boss or Warmth troll or something.

I want Afro to go back to making amusing cosplay PvP videos again. :smith:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Genocyber posted:

Doesn't change the fact that the dude recording that video was a dick. Hell I stand back when Sunbroing myself cause I've got like 20 Greater Lightning Spears to fling at the boss, but he stood there with his thumbs up his rear end not even throwing lightning.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I just had a duel in blood arena and immediately afterwards Steam told me the guy added me to his friends list. I reciprocated expecting a good rage message to post here, but in fact he had noticed my aura and asked if I had the Curved Twinblade. I did, and since I had no use for it with my build we coordinated summoning and I gave it to him.

Expected rage, gave charity instead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arthil posted:

Doesn't change the fact that the dude recording that video was a dick. Hell I stand back when Sunbroing myself cause I've got like 20 Greater Lightning Spears to fling at the boss, but he stood there with his thumbs up his rear end not even throwing lightning.

No its funny because it has music you see.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

No lightning, immersion ruined (should have gone for Dhalsim if he's going to use pyromancy).

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm a dirty casual and I'm not above summoning help for a boss I'm hitting my head against. I summoned a yellow (?) phantom named Refrigerator for The Pursuer. They were a big help!

O NO A BIRD PICKED ME UP, WAIT

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Going to stream some more of my first playthrough, last time I ended having just entered the Bastille from No Man's Wharf: http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim Stream is over!

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 6, 2014

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Mondlicht posted:

I'm a dirty casual and I'm not above summoning help for a boss I'm hitting my head against. I summoned a yellow (?) phantom named Refrigerator for The Pursuer. They were a big help!

O NO A BIRD PICKED ME UP, WAIT

It's "casul", scrub.

:goonsay:

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

No lightning, immersion ruined (should have gone for Dhalsim if he's going to use pyromancy).

Well I want to dual-wielding Old Whips for a Dhalsim run.
What armor would I even use?

Bellboy/Bandit Pants because they're short short and Lion Mage Wristbands.
This will be my third character, brb.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Yesssss, the channeler's trident buff works on the looking glass knight.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sighnoceros posted:

Going to stream some more of my first playthrough, last time I ended having just entered the Bastille from No Man's Wharf: http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim

Watching this owns so hard.

You were so super cautious during the ONE Royal Swordsman skeleton you met.

How much more cautious can you be? :twisted:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Bato posted:

Well I want to dual-wielding Old Whips for a Dhalsim run.
What armor would I even use?

Bellboy/Bandit Pants because they're short short and Lion Mage Wristbands.
This will be my third character, brb.

Prisoner's pants and gauntlets no helm or chest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do the Jester's boots reduce falling damage as much as the cat's ring?

sighnoceros posted:

Going to stream some more of my first playthrough, last time I ended having just entered the Bastille from No Man's Wharf: http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim

I like your tattoo.

VVV The reward for sunbroing is getting to be a sunbro.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 6, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I've been sunbroing it up and is it even worth it? The rewards don't seem that amazing. I'm a hex/miracle dude.

Smelter is getting real easy now.

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

Overbite posted:

So I've been sunbroing it up and is it even worth it? The rewards don't seem that amazing. I'm a hex/miracle dude.

Unless you're shooting for the Sunlight Spear or have High Str/Dex it's not really worth it past the gold glow.
Cooping as a White Phantom gives you Tokens of Fidelity which is really good for healing the world host. I use them a lot to try and keep the host alive when they're being dumb.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Overbite posted:

Well, Sunlight Spear is the most powerful of the miracle projectiles, so I'd say that's worth it if you're going for miracles.

Also there are, you know, the souls you get for helping people. And the warm and fuzzy feeling of helping people with a difficult game. Sunbroing is it's own reward.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Fashion Souls? Fashion Souls.

Hobo-mage reporting in.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Overbite posted:

Sunlight Spears are really nice.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Stringbean posted:

Hobo-mage reporting in.

Co-op condom ready for battle.

Don't worry host, I'll protect you. :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Begemot posted:

Sunbroing is it's own reward.

This. If you want rewards, go join the Dickwraiths or whatever the gently caress they're called now. :colbert:

Also fellow hexbros: do hexes ever get better than miracles? Because right now the standard lightning spear is always outdamaging my hexes despite equal Int/Fai.

Or should I suck it up and start using the ones that cost souls to use if I want good hexes?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sunlight Spear is great. It does huge damage in PVP, too- it's one of those nice sucker-punch one shots for folks who don't really know how to deal with it.

p.s. fashion souls

It's real interesting that Benhart's armor is extremely similar to the King's. It's probably just asset re-use but still interesting regardless.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I hosed up big time in getting Benhart's stuff :(

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Do the Jester's boots reduce falling damage as much as the cat's ring?

They're additive. I personally use Cat Ring, Lion Warrior Chest and Cat Leggings. Can take just about any jump that isn't insta-death and lose maybe 10% HP, plus it enables some interesting looking fashion souls options.

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

Sydin posted:

This. If you want rewards, go join the Dickwraiths or whatever the gently caress they're called now. :colbert:

Also fellow hexbros: do hexes ever get better than miracles? Because right now the standard lightning spear is always outdamaging my hexes despite equal Int/Fai.

Or should I suck it up and start using the ones that cost souls to use if I want good hexes?

I call the Brotherhood of Blood Invaders BoBbies.

As for hexes, not really.
You get a nice Chime based Hexes later on that are utility but as far as Damage goes you may as well just use Lightning Spears.
Great Resonant Soul on a +10 Black Witches Staff (With A Dark Scaling) only does 100-150 more damage than Great Lighting Spear on the same Staff (C Lightning Scaling).
If you used the Dragon Chime it would probably do the same damage.

The thing that GRS has over GLS is you can put the Pilgrims of Dark ring on and get a +20% Damage Boost to your Hexes, but it's costing you 20hp and 500 souls per cast.
You can get a good amount of damage, and I used it for getting the most Burst Damage possible on a boss that I had trouble with.
But for general use, the Spears are better.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

What triggers the emerald herald's gravestone after she dies? I tabbed out and then went back into the game by left clicking, so she took a crystal soul spear to the face, and I've quit/reloaded probably 20 times and left the game running for 3 hours but the grave isn't popping up anywhere as far as I know.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Bato posted:

As for hexes, not really.
You get a nice Chime based Hexes later on that are utility but as far as Damage goes you may as well just use Lightning Spears.
Great Resonant Soul on a +10 Black Witches Staff (With A Dark Scaling) only does 100-150 more damage than Great Lighting Spear on the same Staff (C Lightning Scaling).
If you used the Dragon Chime it would probably do the same damage.

The thing that GRS has over GLS is you can put the Pilgrims of Dark ring on and get a +20% Damage Boost to your Hexes, but it's costing you 20hp and 500 souls per cast.
You can get a good amount of damage, and I used it for getting the most Burst Damage possible on a boss that I had trouble with.
But for general use, the Spears are better.

I'll agree that for general use/clearing the "trash" of the game, Lightning Spears are better (or at least get the job done just as well). It also has the benefit of absurd range for sniping purposes. But for bosses and most "big" dudes, Great Resonant Soul on a Dark Caitha's Chime/Chime of Want is better than Great Lightning Spear (all resistances aside). GRS comes out very fast on Caitha's Chime and doesn't miss enemies that are close to you in the way GLS tends to.

VisAbsoluta posted:

drat, is the Stone Ring that important? I'm dub as gently caress and managed to die just as the hypo dropped it. I started as a Cleric and I'm about level 30, is this worth restarting?

For a game this good, the item disappearing mechanic sucks so bad.

You're fine. It's not that good.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

drat, is the Stone Ring that important? I'm dumb as gently caress and managed to die just as the hypo dropped it. I started as a Cleric and I'm about level 30, is this worth restarting?

For a game this good, the item disappearing mechanic sucks so bad.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Stringbean posted:

Fashion Souls? Fashion Souls.

Hobo-mage reporting in.

Hell yeah, High Heels or bust! I just wish a lot of the chest pieces weren't so long. I wanted to wear the witches dress with them, but it almost covers the skirt entirely.

It's also a shame the hoods are so damned good for casters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll keep light spearing it up until I get some of the better hex chimes later down the line.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

PvP highlevel gets even worse. Whereas previously you had nothing but casters and havels it's now nothing but casting havels.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I have a question for everybody, I absolutely want to avoid the PVP and also kind of like the challenge of being solo - how hard is the game without phantoms or other players to help? My friend says that he is having problems even with summons and thinks I am going to get crushed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meowbot posted:

I have a question for everybody, I absolutely want to avoid the PVP and also kind of like the challenge of being solo - how hard is the game without phantoms or other players to help? My friend says that he is having problems even with summons and thinks I am going to get crushed.

If you're not awful you should be fine. Don't be an idiot, know when to be cautious, be sure to notice how you can exploit NPC ai. Basically anything you did in Dks do here and you'll be fine.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I am ~370k SM and have only been summoned once as a bluebro. I've never been invaded. I don't know if there's a switch I'll pass at some point to open the floodgates, but it's a non issue for me.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Started a new dude to play around with a Str build, making bank smooth and silky at Heide. Currently oneshot any knight with less than two phantoms.

Also has anyone noticed durability will sometimes drop a ton on missed hits, or hits through a dead guy? I had to stop using the Heide Grandlance because it could drop 20 durability in a corpse if you hit wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Selious posted:

Also has anyone noticed durability will sometimes drop a ton on missed hits, or hits through a dead guy? I had to stop using the Heide Grandlance because it could drop 20 durability in a corpse if you hit wrong.

Hitting non-hostile targets (i.e. rats/mastodon if you're a ratbro, phantoms, corpses) drains durability super fast. No clue why they decided to do that (it is good tho; makes breaking Santier's way quicker than it otherwise would be).