Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ShaneB posted:

So is there any word on whether or not the new CPUs will work on the previous generation of motherboard?

New CPUs won't work in Z87, only old Haswells. Everything LGA1150 will work in Z97, up until and including Broadwell. Skylake is going to be LGA1151 or something I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

New CPUs won't work in Z87, only old Haswells. Everything LGA1150 will work in Z97, up until and including Broadwell. Skylake is going to be LGA1151 or something I believe.

Is it possible with a BIOS upgrade?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So we're only seeing new overclocking chipsets for the time being right? there isn't a replacement for B85/H87 in the immediate future? So I guess it would follow that non overclocking refresh CPUs should work fine in the older chipsets?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Is it possible with a BIOS upgrade?

Supposedly no, but people have managed to get overclocking working on b85/h87 before, so I'm guessing people will try to find a way.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

So we're only seeing new overclocking chipsets for the time being right? there isn't a replacement for B85/H87 in the immediate future?

The H97 boards are already out there? Haswell Refresh goes with H or Z 97.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

go3 posted:

I am morbidly curious about this Pentium D search

Found but I missed the last thread title for this post :(

$6

Look at this baller copper pipe stack from 2004

Ducted

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Run a 1M Superpi and weep.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
should it do badly with super pi?

that factory cooler is hardcore.

I just ran superpi for the first time (never heard of it) and got 8.078, which is 183rd of all submitted times. Pretty feel-good moment considering a lot of the top scores are special cases. Don't really know what it proves however

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Ignoarints posted:

should it do badly with super pi?
Around 41 seconds, so yeah like 5X what a current CPU would get. Compare to around 15 seconds for a Core 2 CPU at the same clockspeed, or around 18 seconds at more typical clockspeeds.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
10.218 on my 4670k @ 3.6 gHz. Not bad I guess.

I wish my Phenom II was hooked up so I could see what it would return :v:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

Around 41 seconds, so yeah like 5X what a current CPU would get. Compare to around 15 seconds for a Core 2 CPU at the same clockspeed, or around 18 seconds at more typical clockspeeds.

C2D at 3.45Ghz is drat fast and no models released that high either. I ran SuperPi with the PD-945 and I got 38s. Yeah its slow by todays standards but I can do pretty much all web stuff including 1080p video stream and decode (GPU assisted or not it works). Plus I can actually play some SC2:HotS at ultra settings at 1080p. I mean the machine isn't worth putting in the dumpster.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 7, 2014

sitruc
Feb 7, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

10.218 on my 4670k @ 3.6 gHz. Not bad I guess.

19 seconds @ 3.7 on a o/c'ed 965 since you were wondering.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

sitruc posted:

How is that possible? The 945 I tested on was 3.45Ghz. Thats not that far off from 3.7 of the 965 to be almost 2x as fast.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Panty Saluter posted:

22 seconds at my 955's stock 3.2 ghz.

Shaocaholica posted:

How is that possible? The 945 I tested on was 3.45Ghz. Thats not that far off from 3.7 of the 965 to be almost 2x as fast.

You may not have had it in a power mode that keeps it from throttling down?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
My 720 @ 2.8 (stock) did the 1M in 25 seconds

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

That's a Deneb Phenom-II 965, not a Pentium-D 965.

I got very close to the same superpi times on a basic Haswell i3 the other day that I did on an old 4.2ghz i7 920 chip. The single-threaded performance on the newer chips is just crazy, although without factoring in SSDs or something there's not really any noticeable differences between them in day to day usage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

cisco privilege posted:

That's a Deneb Phenom-II 965, not a Pentium-D 965.

I got very close to the same superpi times on a basic Haswell i3 the other day that I did on an old 4.2ghz i7 920 chip. The single-threaded performance on the newer chips is just crazy, although without factoring in SSDs or something there's not really any noticeable differences between them in day to day usage.

Ah gotcha. For a minute there I thought something was wrong with my setup.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
9-series motherboards are out! Gonna get myself a Maximus VII Gene as soon as I can afford it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

8.439 sec. Plebes. :smug:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
feeling of superiority reigning

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

8.439 sec. Plebes. :smug:

So how much more did you spend on your fancy processor? I am right in the fat part of the price:performance curve :chord:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

So how much more did you spend on your fancy processor? I am right in the fat part of the price:performance curve :chord:

We have the same processor and I'm at 8.078 :toot: but it is 900 mhz faster.

I feel silly feeling proud about this but there it is

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ignoarints posted:

We have the same processor and I'm at 8.078 :toot: but it is 900 mhz faster.

I feel silly feeling proud about this but there it is

At some point I may overclock mine but I'm still on the stock cooler and PC 12800 RAM so....not right now. :v: What kind of cooler do you have?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

At some point I may overclock mine but I'm still on the stock cooler and PC 12800 RAM so....not right now. :v: What kind of cooler do you have?

Thermaltake Performer 2.0 which was a mid to entry grade AIO I got simply because it was on clearance. But I delidded, so it feels like a magical $300 cooler :v:

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....

sitruc posted:

19 Second on my 3.7 980

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
:siren:Hey guys the SuperPI benchmark database is over here:siren: so you can look up any combination CPU and clockspeed you might want to see or post any interesting scores you have. It's not very helpful to post them here.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel has finalized some Devil's Canyon SKU details:

4 GHz base frequency :stare:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Welmu posted:

Are we getting a Xeon refresh around the same time? 4GHz is the max turbo frequency of best Haswell Xeon out there (E3-1285v3, 3.6Base/4.0Turbo, $662 each)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

:siren:Hey guys the SuperPI benchmark database is over here:siren: so you can look up any combination CPU and clockspeed you might want to see or post any interesting scores you have. It's not very helpful to post them here.

What's interesting is that Sandy Bridge reigns supreme over Haswell, because the overclocking potential is so much greater. 6.968 seconds for a 2700K @ 5.4GHz.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Welmu posted:

4/4.4 "standard power"? As in 84W or maybe 95W?

I can't help but read that as a snipe against the AMD FX-9590 and its bullshit 4.7/5.0 at a bargain 220W.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Factory Factory posted:

4/4.4 "standard power"? As in 84W or maybe 95W?

88W

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
:supaburn:

The things you can accomplish with fixed TIM. Imagine any Haswell running at 4.4 ghz from the factory on the stock cooler. lol

In fact, it's just nice to know that every one is simply capable of 4.4 ghz from the factory at presumably not-too-high factory esque voltages. I didn't think I'd be in the market for another, but if it is indeed capable of that with some left on the table that is very appealing.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

ASUS ROG motherboard + 4690K + watercooling: good times ahead, stable 5+ GHz should be attainable. And someone will indubitably apply liquid nitrogen to a 4790K to smash your paltry SuperPI times.

Chuu posted:

Are we getting a Xeon refresh around the same time? 4GHz is the max turbo frequency of best Haswell Xeon out there (E3-1285v3, 3.6Base/4.0Turbo, $662 each)

Yes, though as with Haswell refresh the speed bumps are 100-200 MHz.

Ark link and press blurb.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 14, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Welmu posted:

ASUS ROG motherboard + 4690K + watercooling: good times ahead, stable 5 GHz should be attainable. And someone will indubitably apply liquid nitrogen to a 4790K to smash your paltry SuperPI times.

I'm praying for this Microcenter bundle.

Can't wait to try and sell a delidded 4670k. Oh well, I got it relatively cheap.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

For purposes of the system building OP: Haswell refresh DOES or DOES NOT require a 9-series chipset board?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

For purposes of the system building OP: Haswell refresh DOES or DOES NOT require a 9-series chipset board?

The non-k work with Z87 (which Intel.com says too) but so far the k series are not supposed to. I've seen it both ways. I'm not sure there is anything official yet.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The non-K will work for sure, since Intel didn't update the Q87 chipset. That's the high-end business chipset, and since they've refreshed the Haswell Xeons, it makes sense that they'd work in the matching chipset.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Speaking of -K Intels - would it be prudent to go to faster RAM if I want to overclock? Currently I have 4 x 2GB PC12800 (so, 1333 mHz) at 9-9-9-24. This is for a 4670K.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

Speaking of -K Intels - would it be prudent to go to faster RAM if I want to overclock? Currently I have 4 x 2GB PC12800 (so, 1333 mHz) at 9-9-9-24. This is for a 4670K.
PC12800 is DDR3-1600. If this is what you have there's no real reason to upgrade. If you are using DDR3-1333 you would want to upgrade because your system is bottlenecked by the slow memory even at stock speeds. You don't need to increase the memory clockspeed to overclock like you did on some previous generations so overclocking RAM isn't required, but in general terms if you care enough about performance to be overclocking you want at least DDR3-1866. Check out this G.Skill Ares 2x8GB DDR3-2400 CL11 1.65v for $159.99, normally higher-voltage RAM is not recommended, but it will do DDR3-2133 at reasonably good latency and voltage, or DDR3-1866 at even better, and it's not any more expensive.

Again though, if you are currently running at 1600Mhz and (or are able to bump up to that) and are happy with 8GB of RAM, there is no compelling reason to upgrade. Below DDR3-1600 an upgrade is strongly recommended because you start seeing things like dropped frames during high quality HD video playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is it? I could swear that the BIOS said 1333 and HWInfo is telling me both (if I'm reading it correctly). Is it just underclocked right now?

Only registered members can see post attachments!