Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

big mean giraffe posted:

Disable the floating menu button and it fixes that. No clue why the game needs it, just poo poo coding.

How do I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Is Bard's Tale cool?

Yes. Buy it, its a fun little game, with great humor.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Can someone explain what I am missing about Zookeeper? It just seems like a connect three bejeweled type game, what makes it unique or different?

The intensity ramps up quickly, making it a lot more fun in short bursts than Bejeweled.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oh hell just a heads up, I figured I'd try out Wifi-VS in Metal Slug Defense and you get medals for competing in that. I just bought the Soldier pack and I haven't spent a cent; also, later on (if you don't just constantly retry episodes to rescue people) you apparently wind up getting a huge lump sum of 100 medals for beating World 1, plus medals for being stages. There's a lot of game here.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Speaking of MSD, has anybody tried out all/most of the buyable units? In Battle Cats there were several cats that weren't particularly useful or were joke units. Once you have them, you upgrade them with MSP, not medals, right? And does upgrading units really only affect HP or does it not tell you about the other stats increasing?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It affects other stats too, it just doesn't tell you. I know that at level one, my Marco would take a while to do anything, but now at max level, he takes out some units in one hit.

And I don't think there's really any joke units; I know that the shield soldier and Tarma work super well together, as the shield soldier's special is an invulnerable shield that can tank high end mech attacks, giving Tarma a chance to get in close and do some serious damage. I haven't tried most of the units because I'm not made of money but from what I can tell online, they're all fairly useful. I'd probably avoid the mummies because their HP isn't really high enough to make up for how slow they walk as meatshields, but that's me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tentacles posted:

The Android Gaming Megathread: Not just for horrible, archetypal dorks

Out of curiosity, do any goons use mobile antiviruses for their phones? I've installed TrustGo and it doesn't seem to effect game performance too badly, though rebooting takes about five minutes

I used to use one which also had locational stuff to find my phone if it's lost/stolen or to send a message to it to emit a really crazy-loud piercing wail, but I got sick of my phone freezing for 30+ seconds every time it auto-updated some app or I downloaded something. :(

The GPS location stuff was pretty sweet though, one of my coworkers used the same app to find his phone - in the wiring closet on one side of the building - because it zoomed in close enough to show him which quadrant of the area it was in.

I think the one I used was called MyLookout, FWIW..? If I could have gotten the locational stuff and emergency siren stuff without the scanning, I'd probably still have it installed.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Metal Slug Defense is good, how are the actual Metal Slug ports on the store?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Owlkill posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent review sites for Android gaming? I know Pocket Tactics has a pretty good rep for iOS but their Android reviews seem pretty sparse.

I don't think there's really anything out there. Android doesn't have the rabid fanboys iOS has, so there isn't a million blogs dedicated to it.

I tend to get my Android news & reviews from Android Police.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Is Bard's Tale cool?
Its the same game that came out on XBox, I believe. Take that as you will.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The intensity ramps up quickly, making it a lot more fun in short bursts than Bejeweled.

Also the music is great.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I downloaded Dungeon Raid a few days ago and spent the weekend playing it. It's a lot of fun but I keep getting stomped after around 100 turns (normally by the time the second or third special enemy spawns) and I have no idea how to get past this point. When the special enemy spawns it seems to trigger a flood of enemy grunts and few or no weapon tiles so I end up with a screen full of skulls and no way to kill them which leaves me to have my health depleted within a few turns and then game over.

I've tried funnelling all my upgrades into a single area and I've tried spreading them out to get a well-rounded character. I've tried different patterns of collecting tiles (only collecting 3 at a time vs clearing the whole screen of a particular type) and every other type of variation I can think of but I am consistently hitting the wall at the 100-120 turn mark.

So what are some decent strategies for getting past this point and hopefully staying alive long enough to unlock some upgrades and stuff?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kheldarn posted:

Android doesn't have the rabid fanboys iOS has, so there isn't a million blogs dedicated to it.

lol

I'm back into Hoplite since getting the premium version with Google survey bux, and it's really fun trying out different builds. I was able to finish the basic quest pretty consistently without upgrades before I bought it, but now I can't seem to to unlock the achievement. The games is so good I don't really mind though. :unsmith:

I still have a Google dollar left, too. Any cool things I should consider?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Whalley posted:

It affects other stats too, it just doesn't tell you. I know that at level one, my Marco would take a while to do anything, but now at max level, he takes out some units in one hit.

And I don't think there's really any joke units; I know that the shield soldier and Tarma work super well together, as the shield soldier's special is an invulnerable shield that can tank high end mech attacks, giving Tarma a chance to get in close and do some serious damage. I haven't tried most of the units because I'm not made of money but from what I can tell online, they're all fairly useful. I'd probably avoid the mummies because their HP isn't really high enough to make up for how slow they walk as meatshields, but that's me.

Is there any better information on how POWs are rescued? I tried to rescue a POW in the second area for about seven tries in a row without success, then came back the next day and got him on the first try. Is it based on how quickly you finish the mission? Is it one roll per day? Did I just get a bad RNG?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ryan_woody posted:

Is it based on how quickly you finish the mission?

This has been my experience.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

I still have a Google dollar left, too. Any cool things I should consider?

I've got my first $1 from the survey app and looking to spend it on something too.

I also reached 1200 animals in Disco Zoo an feel comfortable with putting it down forever. Was a good distraction while it lasted.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

I also reached 1200 animals in Disco Zoo an feel comfortable with putting it down forever. Was a good distraction while it lasted.
But the trophies!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there any variation to Hoplite after you get the Fleece? It seems to be just the same enemies, just more of them, and you don't get any more shrines. The shrines and their rewards being fixed on every floor is kind of a bummer too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VodeAndreas posted:

I've got my first $1 from the survey app and looking to spend it on something too.

The Room or Zookeeper DX are great $1 games (though Zookeeper VS is free and actually runs more smoothly, DX seems to be an unoptimized port).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Room is the best dollar I've ever spent.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any variation to Hoplite after you get the Fleece? It seems to be just the same enemies, just more of them, and you don't get any more shrines. The shrines and their rewards being fixed on every floor is kind of a bummer too.

No, as far as I know. From when you beat the Fleece quest it's just a race for a higher score trying different builds. It's still a nice puzzle, so even after several months I first have beaten it, I still occasionally have a run or two. An update with a new class or a quest would be really cool, though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

precision posted:

I got one of the Metal Slug games in a Humble bundle. I didn't have the patience for re-learning how to play Metal Slug with a touchscreen, which is a control scheme I find way more fiddly than joystick & buttons.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

precision posted:

I've played MS1 and MS3. They're good ports, never ran into any performance issues, but as the poster above me said you might have issues with the touchscreen controls. In my experience I've found them to be pretty playable, and you can move around the onscreen buttons to your liking.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Can someone explain what I am missing about Zookeeper? It just seems like a connect three bejeweled type game, what makes it unique or different?

You don't have to wait for a match to finish before moving other blocks, and the game greatly rewards fast combos like that, so the skill cap is very high.

I used to play a ton of tetris attack so zookeeper came naturally, and I've been climbing the ladder on zookeeper VS pretty steadily over the last weekend (had a road trip). It's a lot of fun.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

precision posted:

They are good ports but very frustrating with touchscreen controls. Metal Slug games are hard enough with an arcade stick or console controller, I found anything beyond the first level or 2 to be miserable trying to use the on screen buttons.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Dice Heroes got quite a bit of extra content since the last time I played. Potions, class skills, new items in the shop, new levels to beat. ...but you're still going to be doing a lot of grinding to get gold.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ryan_woody posted:

. Is it based on how quickly you finish the mission? Is it one roll per day? Did I just get a bad RNG?
It's just like Battle Cats; it's entirely RNG. Don't let that knowledge get in the way of a good confirmation bias though, if you think you're getting them more by doing missions faster, or by only using one kind of unit, or whatever, go for it. Do what makes it easier for you to repeat levels over and over.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ScienceAndMusic posted:

How do I do that?

Settings - Display - Use long press for menu.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Heroes : A Grail Quest
Looks like HOMM. One buck, no IAPs, no permissions. I bought it, but sent it to my tablet so I haven't tried it yet.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I could use a decent Turn-Based Startegy game. Let us know how it goes because I've got a lot of Google Play survey credit lying around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Looks like HOMM. One buck, no IAPs, no permissions. I bought it, but sent it to my tablet so I haven't tried it yet.

Seriously if this is like HOMM this is exactly what I was looking for a couple pages ago. Let me know if it's actually good.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Anyone know of any good lucid dreaming apps? Not really a game per se...

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Anyone know of any good lucid dreaming apps? Not really a game per se...

What would a lucid dreaming app do exactly?

GymnastyThom
Nov 26, 2005
Do you smell something? You know what that reminds me of? That smells like.. vampire shit.

dik-dik posted:

What would a lucid dreaming app do exactly?

Make you insufferable at parties.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GymnastyThom posted:

Make you insufferable at parties.

:iceburn:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

I'll see myself out.

It can do a couple things, like be a dream journal, REM cycle predictor, or do reality checks. However I have a feeling furthering this topic will only further my mocking :O

edit: Ha, goons being invited to parties.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ScienceAndMusic posted:

edit: Ha, goons being invited to parties.

LAN parties are parties.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

LAN parties are parties.

Hamachi doesn't count.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
"So this campaign is inspired by a series of lucid dreams I ha- wait guys don't leave!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

• Locked thread