Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of these days…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

CJacobs posted:

He is at least partially right though, using your game as a springboard to shill out new technology and vice versa is lame. Good graphics is a good selling point, good graphics FOR THIS BRAND NEW TECHNOLOGY™ YOU CAN HAVE FOR only 499 us dollars TODAY! is bad.

Thankfully, Watchdogs does not seem to be doing much of that. Tomb Raider did that with the whole TressFX crap and it was very silly. The difference is that Watchdogs being bundled with new GPUs is not inherently bad.

For all we know Nvidias payout to ubisoft for this bundle is what let them push the game back this far.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Azurrat posted:

Because that's like realizing water is wet. No poo poo they're using it to sell hardware.

No it's because this guy is following me around. Seriously this isn't the first time he's quoted my posts just in case I go back and edit them out.

This game has recommended requirements suggesting tech that's 2 years old. This probably won't be a heavy load game.
Cjacobs is way more on point than I am. Using poo poo that doesn't matter in the end to manipulate consumers irritates me greatly.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 30, 2014

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I really don't understand how it's manipulating consumers. They're giving you the game free with a new card, that's awesome in my books. They're not saying or even suggesting you won't be able to play the game without it.

They've posted the recommended specs and I like to think the majority of gamers who are looking to get a new graphics card aren't dumb enough to buy a new titan just because watch dogs comes with it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

NaDy posted:

I really don't understand how it's manipulating consumers. They're giving you the game free with a new card, that's awesome in my books. They're not saying or even suggesting you won't be able to play the game without it.

They've posted the recommended specs and I like to think the majority of gamers who are looking to get a new graphics card aren't dumb enough to buy a new titan just because watch dogs comes with it.

You don't get it man, video gaming is all a big conspiracy to drive the sales of high end video cards. Nvidia literally hired Ubisoft to make watchdogs so they could sell some more 760 cards.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
It is a conspiracy. See Radeon cards bundle mantle-friendly BF4 with their cards. Now nvidia is bundling watch dogs omg. They are trying to sway graphic card buyers to their product with games. Why I havent seen that since Mechwarrior came bundled with my 3dfx glide card back in the mid 90s.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Guys please stop replying to the literally insane poster who keeps making GBS threads his terrible video game industry conspiracy theories all over this thread, thanks in advance.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, he makes a lot of sense. I mean, new parts for a computer is like, that one monster who has to replace body parts when they rot so he can play new games with them, man.

The computer hardware industry is EXACTLY LIKE the military industrial complex. Heh, they're probably the SAME THING, man.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

3dfx voodoo cards man. Voodoo get it? This kind of industry conspiracy and carribean ghost worship it's all connected with bundled games man. NeoSeeker is definitely on the right track here.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Guys please stop replying to the literally insane poster who keeps making GBS threads his terrible video game industry conspiracy theories all over this thread, thanks in advance.

But why? He's the best video game industry analyst since Michael Pachter!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NeoSeeker posted:

No it's because this guy is following me around. Seriously this isn't the first time he's quoted my posts just in case I go back and edit them out.

Jesus, just shut the gently caress up.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It's gonna be a fine day when technology blurs the lines between video games and psychedelics.

I mean, I'm already doing my part.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I can't decide if I want to get this for my PS4 or my PC

First world problems :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Danith posted:

Both!

First world solution.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Caufman posted:

It's gonna be a fine day when technology blurs the lines between video games and psychedelics.

I mean, I'm already doing my part.

What I want to know is, is that Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality? Is he hopping through the city for reals or is he just standing there twitching while he's got PS9 in his brain?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ugh, that's such a PS7 question.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Moartoast posted:

I wonder if they'll actually have the supposed "8 player free roam" that they mentioned a while back. I have the feeling they were just playing with semantics to make that statement seem more exciting than it is (Yes, you can be in a multiplayer session with a total of 8 other players and technically free roam the city in that session, but you're still playing an objective-based game mode), otherwise they probably would have hyped that poo poo up at least a little bit since then.
It was mentioned in that multiplayer article going around a few days ago. It does sound a bit hacky.

quote:

The final mode is not really a mode at all, but rather an area. A small section of Chicago is set aside as a free play mode, where up to eight people can converge and do whatever they like. The only rule you can set is whether you can shoot and kill each other.

Beyond that, it’s up to the players.

“It’s not a free realm with missions or modes or stuff like that. It’s more like the kind of mode we had to test the systems online,” Morin said. “We realized it was quite fun, and we [asked ourselves] why would we remove the option once we shipped the game?

“Why not keep that in and let old school people get together and find their friends, almost make rules with pen and paper and say let’s follow those rules and try and see if it’s fun. It’s almost a game design R&D place. You remove all of the content, just keep the systems in and let the player see what the hell they are going to do.”

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Danith posted:

You shouldn't buy it for either platforms because in the end you'll just be fueling the games industry conspiracy of selling high-end computer hardware :newlol:

Serious answer: PC

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

It was mentioned in that multiplayer article going around a few days ago. It does sound a bit hacky.

Well, that explains why they never showed it off

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

This game has recommended requirements suggesting tech that's 2 years old. This probably won't be a heavy load game.
Cjacobs is way more on point than I am. Using poo poo that doesn't matter in the end to manipulate consumers irritates me greatly.

Yeha, hardware that cost $1000 2 years ago and now costs $150 and you get a free game with your purchase. You can get it without the software, but it's the same price.

It's not a conspiracy to rob people of their money dude, it's to offer an enticing offer to people who are a little bit behind on their upgrades and would like a cheap(er) upgrade and a game that can showcase it.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

You don't get it do you? Watch Dogs is a game produced by the Illuminati, and published by known members of the Heaven's Gate. Think about that before you get your "cheap upgrade"

Serious post: developers said they made the game with PC in mind first. Their own reports coupled with giant bomb's report as well as others suggest Pc version is the superior looking one of the bunch. Assuming you have a recommended spec PC and a console I would think its a no brainer to pick the superior looking one. If you don't but have a recommended pc but have next gen console I'm sure the experience is just as good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mordaedil posted:

an enticing offer to people who are a little bit behind on their upgrades

I will inform the Council of your... mis-step, brother.

For what it's worth, I will miss you.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, I remember seeing a gif or some poo poo that made Watchdogs look like a GNC game, in terms of graphics. Is that the case? Just wondering. Might still waste my $60 on it, so whatever.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Watch Dogs is going to be the worst looking game of the past two decades. You can book it, son. A small gif on the internet said so.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Moartoast posted:

I wonder if they'll actually have the supposed "8 player free roam" that they mentioned a while back. I have the feeling they were just playing with semantics to make that statement seem more exciting than it is (Yes, you can be in a multiplayer session with a total of 8 other players and technically free roam the city in that session, but you're still playing an objective-based game mode), otherwise they probably would have hyped that poo poo up at least a little bit since then.

Like most everything is game is, that is hype to the level you're expecting

This game will probably be a solid theme-park ride. Fun, but heavily controlled/scripted and not as organic as they are making it seem. You can easily see how simple the combat looks by just watching some gameplay footage.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Somewhere around half of the posters in this thread seem to be lost. You probably meant to post here

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I will inform the Council of your... mis-step, brother.

For what it's worth, I will miss you.

My graphics card is augmented.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I didn't see anyone mention this mode, Online Tailing. According to the previously linked multiplayer article all you have to do is follow the other player around the city.

That's it. Just following. I must say, that is perhaps the best possible objective they could add, just imagine driving around just having some fun, popping into the gun store to reload on ammo and seeing a red car. Then you drive around some more, go off to side mission maybe, you park up and see the red car again. Same make and model. Then you walk up to the red car, shove your gun into the driver's face and unload.

At that point you notice your reputation bar go down and that you were needlessly paranoid. :suicide:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I don't know but I think it's just amazing, hop in and do your best to blend in with someone single player and escape just sounds like such fun diversions for a big game like this.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I didn't see anyone mention this mode, Online Tailing. According to the previously linked multiplayer article all you have to do is follow the other player around the city.

That's it. Just following. I must say, that is perhaps the best possible objective they could add, just imagine driving around just having some fun, popping into the gun store to reload on ammo and seeing a red car. Then you drive around some more, go off to side mission maybe, you park up and see the red car again. Same make and model. Then you walk up to the red car, shove your gun into the driver's face and unload.

At that point you notice your reputation bar go down and that you were needlessly paranoid. :suicide:

Are you loving kidding me?

Thank loving jesus we get an online version of the assassin's creed follow someone for loving ever mission. Never change Ubisoft.

God I hate those missions who thought that we wanted more of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So don't do it, it's an optional multiplayer mode.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Plus you're not tailing a static NPC who follows a set route and poo poo, you're following an actual human player who is presumably doing something besides walking from point A to point B and having a conversation. It's a completely different thing if you actually think about it for two seconds instead of kneejerking all over the place.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, this is more like, what if you were a phantom in Dark Souls, only your objective was to tail the guy you were invading, but not let him catch you. Try to follow him all around the map and dungeons, without letting him catch on to the fact you're there.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It just blows my mind that they are dead set on finding some way to make following a person missions into every video game they make.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

randombattle posted:

It just blows my mind that they are dead set on finding some way to make following a person missions into every video game they make.

Yup. It makes some sense given the themes of the game, but it is fascinating how Ubisoft iterates on the same concepts in multiple series.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

randombattle posted:

This interpretation is more tolerable and even sounds fun compared to previous incarnations, largely because the mechanics for it are more dynamic since it's one player following another rather then an NPC. They don't have to create variables need to break-up that gameplay in a single-player enviroment, the variables generate themselves because people are general unpredicable when interacting with other people.

Edit: I wonder if a group of players can 'follow' the same person or have daisy-chain of a player following a player while in turn following an entirely different player.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 6, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I can't imagine it working too well, at least for the whole 'stay hidden' part. I know when I play an open world game I drive like a maniac. Hand brake around corners, drive on the sidewalks, take every sick ramp, generally go at full speed. It'll be a little hard to keep up with someone without being conspicuous if they drive like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

KittyEmpress posted:

I can't imagine it working too well, at least for the whole 'stay hidden' part. I know when I play an open world game I drive like a maniac. Hand brake around corners, drive on the sidewalks, take every sick ramp, generally go at full speed. It'll be a little hard to keep up with someone without being conspicuous if they drive like that.

Are you generally looking behind you when you do it? What's more, isn't that what makes it fair for both players? Like, if you're following a player who just sits around doing nothing, that's easy. What makes it difficult for the stalker is if the player is playing like an actual video game player would do - drive everywhere fast, run around the streets bumping into people. That's a challenge to follow, and makes it even riskier that you'll out yourself to the person you're following.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Maybe following people around is like a cultural thing?

I think it's a great mode to try to emulate NPCs and goof with people. The tablet mode seems geared towards directly griefing the single player but this mode is more cat and mouse which I personally loved in their Splinter Cell games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

If they're driving, then you'd have to rely on the fact that they're probably not aware of what's happening behind them. You could also remotely activate bollards in front of them rather than having to ram their car off the road.

• Locked thread