Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
one could only hope

aside from my inevitable demise, I saw avenged sevenfold last night. what in the gently caress why did I not go to one of their shows before. holy gently caress fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

disability disney dollar funded

hey victor vermis wanna take an unpaid, unsupplied six month 2200 mile internship?

Honestly I'm thinking about taking a year off from school anyways so I can hit the Fall enrollment for somewhere warm (and ~*prestigious*~) next year. It's Winter like 8 months out of the year here, I don't know how the gently caress I forgot about that considering I've lived here all my life.

Let's kickstart this thing so I can buy some gear (and you and Shim can buy some gear) and do it up right.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Vic Vermis going along would be a plus because the found footage from your corpses would be that much more artistically framed

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Vic Vermis going along would be a plus because the found footage from your corpses would be that much more artistically framed

Yeah that's actually the first thing I thought of. Like the Blair Witch project, snot running down my face as Shim murders Spongebob.

Deathy McDeath can narrate my final Grizzly Man moments if the raw audio is too disturbing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's a photo finish on which one of you three lunatics I'd miss the least.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Victor Vermis posted:

Honestly I'm thinking about taking a year off from school anyways so I can hit the Fall enrollment for somewhere warm (and ~*prestigious*~) next year. It's Winter like 8 months out of the year here, I don't know how the gently caress I forgot about that considering I've lived here all my life.

Let's kickstart this thing so I can buy some gear (and you and Shim can buy some gear) and do it up right.

I don't know where you're going to find prestigious schools in the south but southern ivy or whatevs. A south to north starting in april could probably be wrapped up in five months by three fat vets.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

holocaust bloopers posted:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I don't know where you're going to find prestigious schools in the south but southern ivy or whatevs. A south to north starting in april could probably be wrapped up in five months by three fat vets.

Not the south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_B0rOLvAOo&t=77s

I'm already registered for a summer class here, and that'd be too soon for a 5 month commitment anyways (financially if nothing else- I didn't win the disability lottery).

But I'd consider doing it next summer.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

lmao

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
i know, right?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Realtalk I dig this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/nation/2014/05/05/mattis-iraq-afghanistan-marines-usmc/8632093/

quote:

James Mattis, who retired from the Marine Corps last year as a four-star general, is among the most articulate thinkers on a subject that gets very little attention: what it means to be a warrior.

Even in retirement Mattis has an enthusiastic following among Marines, an infantry-oriented service that values espirit de corps, or fighting spirit, above almost all else.

In a speech last month, Mattis tackled a concern that is on the minds of a number of combat leaders: A public that wants to paint veterans as victims and why that is potentially damaging to the fighting spirit of America's warriors.

"I would just say there is one misperception of our veterans and that is they are somehow damaged goods," Mattis said. "I don't buy it."

"If we tell our veterans enough that this is what is wrong with them they may actually start believing it," he said during questions after a speech at the Marines' Memorial Club in San Francisco.

It was a speech that received little coverage, except for a notice on the website Military1, which headlined it, "Gen. Mattis' next mission: Destroying the PTSD victim myth," referring to post-traumatic stress disorder.

"While victimhood in America is exalted I don't think our veterans should join those ranks," Mattis said.

It's a sensitive subject, since no one wants to appear uncaring or insensitive. America has fought wars in Iraq and Afghanistan without a draft and the burden of combat has fallen on a small percentage of Americans. It's not easy for the public to understand why there are men who volunteer to go to war.

Mattis didn't point fingers, but the media and political leaders have helped fuel this perception that most or all combat veterans come back from war traumatized.

"There is also something called post traumatic growth where you come out of a situation like that and you actually feel kinder toward your fellow man and fellow woman," Mattis said.

Mattis is legendary for his bluntness, but his words are chosen carefully. He is an avid reader of military history, but also literature.

Mattis' point is that warfare often comes down to a clash of wills. Technology and weaponry matter, but war, even on today's battlefield, is often won or lost at the point of a bayonet.

Mattis said the U.S. military must be steeled to fight a fanatical enemy that has a medieval worldview. The enemy must be convinced that it has a warrior class that won't back down.

"We are going to have to have young people in our country who are willing to go toe to toe with this because two irreconcilable wills exist," he said.

"There is no room for military people, including our veterans, to see themselves as victims even if so many of our countrymen are prone to relish that role," he said.

Mattis speaks of "ferocity" and "slaughtering" the enemy, words that don't always go over well in so-called polite society, but resonate among young Marines, most of whom volunteered so they could go to war. He has led Marines in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In 2005 he was counseled by the Marine Corps commandant at the time after he told an audience that it can be fun to kill an enemy "who slap women around."

Even then, Mattis wasn't been flippant or unthoughtful. His words were directed at the audience in front of him, which included a group of Marines just back from Iraq, where they had engaged in intensive fighting. The Marines had traveled to San Diego to see and hear Mattis.

It was Mattis' way of conveying to the young Marines that they did what they were trained to do. He was speaking to the enemy too, letting them know there were American warriors who "are pretty unapologetic about our willingness to fight," he once said in an interview.

But there was a camera in the room and soon his words were echoing around a country that wasn't accustomed to such blunt language from its nation's military leaders.

The general never apologized but has acknowledged his words could have been more carefully chosen.

At the San Francisco speech, Mattis made reference to the controversy. "I'm on record that it didn't really traumatize me to do away with some people," he said.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I wish Gen. Mattis was my dad

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Schools over, BS incoming, party time :toot:

(until I start moving tomorrow)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

This.

But I'm in. I'm gonna use This next year to train up. And I got TRICARE not VA so getting my crazy pills on the trail will be easy. We just all gotta get on the same crazy pills so that when we've bottomed out my antipsychotic scripts keeping you from stringing yourself up as the campfire dies your weak rear end VA mailing scripts don't show up with SSRI's and Buspar for "anxiety". Don't wanna wind up with three vets and a camera skittering through the woods bombed out on insulfualted Quetipine re-enacting the Blair witch project.

I've shown up to spongebobs place with a sixer of light beer and a bitchy woman and he still gave proper southern hospitality. He's straight up good people, shine on you crazy loving diamond.

G-d bless merica

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't wait to read about the multi-victim autoerotic asphyxiation suicide pact in the backwoods of the Carolinas.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Anyone watching 24 right now? AF drone pilot blows up his CC on the ground with a hellfire because he took away his weekend pass. OSI finds his posts on military forum bitching about his leadership.

Good season so far :thumbsup:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What Victor doesn't realize is SpongeBob has stoic resignation towards his life and Shim is a guy who just knows the score. Anyone here who's read GiP long enough can solve out which one of these three is going to be the campfire sock.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pkells posted:

Anyone watching 24 right now? AF drone pilot blows up his CC on the ground with a hellfire because he took away his weekend pass. OSI finds his posts on military forum bitching about his leadership.

Good season so far :thumbsup:

All that'll do is remind idiots to post everything opsec on the internet.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

What Victor doesn't realize is SpongeBob has stoic resignation towards his life and Shim is a guy who just knows the score. Anyone here who's read GiP long enough can solve out which one of these three is going to be the campfire sock.

my money is on a rotating sock system.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

my money is on a rotating sock system.

of VV's holes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving please, trail towns have bars and I'm sure there'll be right proper chubby chicks in those bars to chat up, rubber up and gently caress.

House should be offloading by the time my ratings and backpay come in. Sell my car next spring. Work out a bullshit way to get to Springer mountain in Georgia about the first week of April. For a five month finish it's going to be 15 miles a day average. Puts us up there in time to buy a beat up old Subaru (goddamnit I will find a 5 speed baja turbo again) in Maine and drive back to Memphis before fall semester.

Going to need to find something to do to fill between roughly august this year and april.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Godholio posted:

I can't wait to read about the multi-victim autoerotic asphyxiation suicide pact in the backwoods of the Carolinas.

I'm pretty sure if Asheville news stations ever figured out that new fangled internet thing you could find that already.

Speaking of this journey. Have any of you actually seen the Appalachian trail? I spent a couple weeks one summer hiking a part of it, and frankly... Its a great idea if your goal in life is to teach others about having proper life insurance coverage.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Friend has been on the trail about a month. This is what you have to look forward to:

quote:

making GBS threads and showering at a hostel I didn't pay for. Drunk last night and camped by a river my back hurts from sleeping crazy. Back to the trail today with a loving 45 pound bag

And an insane loving beard.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hahaha, you're alright Verm

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hahaha, you're alright Verm

I agree. He's no discount bees, but he's a-ok.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Friend has been on the trail about a month. This is what you have to look forward to:

And an insane loving beard.

So are you trying to encourage or discourage this trip.

Because I gotta say, sounds alright to me so far.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Encourage

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

I like my girls all-natural.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
those r sum googly nips right there

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

those r sum googly nips right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1alISOTGfE

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Semester is over, I think I pulled a 4.0, so I'm gonna go get drunk by my appt's pool all summer :whatup:

Which will just be 5 days, because summer semester starts Monday. Whatever, I'll take what I can get.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Just registered for my grad school classes. Two more years of smokin trees and getting B's here I come! I've got nothing to do all summer except chill out and work on my yard/house at a medium pace. :feelsgood:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm pretty sure if Asheville news stations ever figured out that new fangled internet thing you could find that already.

Speaking of this journey. Have any of you actually seen the Appalachian trail? I spent a couple weeks one summer hiking a part of it, and frankly... Its a great idea if your goal in life is to teach others about having proper life insurance coverage.

Dude, it's the AT, not the himalayas. The worst I expect is either falling off something that's really easy to not fall off of, or wandering up to a bear stoned out of my marbles trying to get it to take a bong hit.

But yeah I probably should get some life insurance lined up before the hike. Gonna go out the crazy way and leave everything beyond funeral expenses to my cats.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As usual, check USAA.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'd be super down to do the Appalachian trail honestly. If I were single I'd do it in a heartbeat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
leave the bitch and hit the hills

this sound advice brought to you by a fuckhead

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If there is something you've always wanted to do, you should probably do it while you're young enough for your body to handle it and old enough to be able to afford it. Don't fall in to the whole middle age malaise that turns you in to a boring old gently caress. Go out and do poo poo that looks fun while you're still able to, pussies

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Booblord Zagats posted:

If there is something you've always wanted to do, you should probably do it while you're young enough for your body to handle it and old enough to be able to afford it. Don't fall in to the whole middle age malaise that turns you in to a boring old gently caress. Go out and do poo poo that looks fun while you're still able to, pussies

also definitely take marriage advice from spongebob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
goddamn right

I've been wanting to hit the AT since I was a teenager. that poo poo's getting done now that I'm divorced (bitch wasn't gonna let that happen) and have no kids to deal with. figure I'll probably be dead by 60 or so. do it now or never at all.

• Locked thread