Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Reminder that Barack Hussein Obama is the moderate realpolitik mix that self-avowed conservatives claim to clamor for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Greens make for pretty great sham fake spoiler candidates, that's something at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The greens are actually pretty cool, especially compared to the party of expanded civil liberties for land-owning whites.

Well unless you believe in vaccinations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Robviously posted:

This is why we need to put up that border fence, otherwise Quetzecoatl will sneak all of his god friends in and I don't think we're ready for Centon Totochtin's shenanigans. I certainly am not gonna clean up after 400 drunken rabbits.:colbert:

I don't think a fence is going to stop a winged feathered serpent god. We need to go further. A dome.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's too bad the Greens are in practice actively against half the things that can fix the environment.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Install Windows posted:

It's too bad the Greens are in practice actively against half the things that can fix the environment.

Not to mention their other rampant anti-science viewpoints. Greens aren't an option for me. I'll stick with the devil I know, thank you very much.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Are you man enough to vote for Macho Liberti?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The greens are actually pretty cool, especially compared to the party of expanded civil liberties for land-owning whites.

They only want to crush goons with their anti-nuclear position.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Install Windows posted:

Yeah, 95% of my policies align with theirs, but they spend 70% of their time campaigning on the 5% I disagree on: banning nuclear power and dumb poo poo like that. They waste what little political influence they have actively undercutting themselves.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Well unless you believe in vaccinations.
... and libertarians are pretty cool unless you believe in infrastructure and externalities.

I'm not gung-ho on the greens, but the fantasy of an elected green caucusing with the Democrats is less frightening the reality of Libertarians who caucus with the Republicans.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
It isn't like we are ever going to have nuclear power anyway. If we do, it won't be trustworthy, I don't care how good the technology is; I say that because I don't trust the people in charge to ensure that the technology is implemented and maintained properly.

poo poo, I sound like I Green Party member. :suicide:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah we'll never have nuclear power, it's totally not responsible for a very major part of our generation capability and in some states a vast majority. Nope, total dream.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

I can't find anything suggesting he changed his name. Was he born with that name? I want to believe.

Reminds me of the original Lowtax (died last year).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm skimming their platform right now and the only dumb thing that stands out is the opposition to nuclear. I don't know enough about biomass burning, GMOs, or some of the other energy things to comment. I gather from the AusPol thread that all Greens parties follow the ten key values so getting in on the ground and changing those things would be doable over the long term like they're doing over there (probably helps that the Australian Greens are the largest party that is not for the torture of refugees).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
We're talking about a country that voluntarily lowered their credit rating because paying bills is not a popular policy position, twice. I usually just vote to entertain myself, because US politics is an unsolvable poo poo-show.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

e: I came very close to voting Stein in 2012 but didn't do it even in a blue state. Badnarik '04

I like to think that my vote for the former morally offset my vote for the latter. There was an Obama vote in the middle there, but even then that was more because New Mexico was almost a swing state than for any love of Obama.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Stein sold me with her "sick of this bullshit" advertisement. All a candidate needs to do to win my vote is make me laugh with them, not at them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm skimming their platform right now and the only dumb thing that stands out is the opposition to nuclear. I don't know enough about biomass burning, GMOs, or some of the other energy things to comment. I gather from the AusPol thread that all Greens parties follow the ten key values so getting in on the ground and changing those things would be doable over the long term like they're doing over there (probably helps that the Australian Greens are the largest party that is not for the torture of refugees).

Opposition to GMOs is extremely stupid, and the biomass stuff is often worse for pollution than other energy sources.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Install Windows posted:

Opposition to GMOs is extremely stupid, and the biomass stuff is often worse for pollution than other energy sources.

A lot of people oppose GMOs on the grounds that it empowers large agricultural companies to take even more control over our food system and promotes harmful practices such as monoculture. I think if they weren't essentially used to prop up a corrupt system they'd be a lot more palatable.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Huntsman's "moderate" positions were poo poo like "believes the science on global warming is not Satan playing a trick," but his actual policy on global warming was "do nothing about it." It's actually worse than the right-wing tack. He believes it's a problem but refuses to address it through policy in any way.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Not to mention their other rampant anti-science viewpoints. Greens aren't an option for me. I'll stick with the devil I know, thank you very much.

If I recall correctly, even Stein has admitted that it would be preferable if the Greens weren't so... That way. Her campaign wasn't so much about Green (the party) so much as the other kind of green that led to Occupy. I decided to go with her over Rocky Anderson in the end mostly for ballot access reasons (I concluded that the greens having access was more likely than the New Mexico Independent Party who backed Anderson)

But you're right in general and it's why I've refused to register as Green here in California. (And the Stewart Alexander/Roseanne issue puts me off the Peace and Freedom Party, even if I don't fully agree with Alexander's politics, so I remain independent)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

420DD Butts posted:

A lot of people oppose GMOs on the grounds that it empowers large agricultural companies to take even more control over our food system and promotes harmful practices such as monoculture. I think if they weren't essentially used to prop up a corrupt system they'd be a lot more palatable.

Yes a lot of people oppose GMOs on completely false reasons.

GMOs do nothing to do any of those things you mentioned in this post.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Monsanto! :argh:

Won't someone think of the native South American tribes?!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah we'll never have nuclear power, it's totally not responsible for a very major part of our generation capability and in some states a vast majority. Nope, total dream.

I know we have nuclear power. What is it, like around 20% of our capacity? I realize that my responses don't always meet your quality control standards for exactness, but you don't have to be so drat pedantic all of the time.

Yeah, I just checked capacity, and this amazed me. I had no idea that: The USA is the largest producer of nuclear power in the world. I'm glad that your remark made me look that up. I don't follow nuclear power very closely, and it looks like a lot of stuff is happening that is not getting news coverage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Warszawa posted:

Huntsman's "moderate" positions were poo poo like "believes the science on global warming is not Satan playing a trick," but his actual policy on global warming was "do nothing about it." It's actually worse than the right-wing tack. He believes it's a problem but refuses to address it through policy in any way.
Also his tax policy was the furthest-right of any of the Republican candidates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On the plus side for Huntsman: his favorite band was Captain Beefheart.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pohl posted:

I know we have nuclear power. What is it, like around 20% of our capacity? I realize that my responses don't always meet your quality control standards for exactness, but you don't have to be so drat pedantic all of the time.

Yeah, I just checked capacity, and this amazed me. I had no idea that: The USA is the largest producer of nuclear power in the world. I'm glad that your remark made me look that up. I don't follow nuclear power very closely, and it looks like a lot of stuff is happening that is not getting news coverage.

Keep in mind we haven't actually built any new plants in 40 years either.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Install Windows posted:

Yes a lot of people oppose GMOs on completely false reasons.

GMOs do nothing to do any of those things you mentioned in this post.

So, companies cannot patent seeds? Or they do not promote the development of seed that produces plants resistant to herbicides, which is crucial to monoculture? Are you really claiming that GMOs are not at all involved in sustaining our current agricultural system?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

Yeah we ended up finally getting new build started up that will replace more capacity then is going offline due to retirement. In a way it's a good thing it hasn't gotten much news coverage, more public awareness might get people to block it again.

If we're lucky, those Westinghouse AP1000 projects being successful will lead to a lot more of them being built in the medium term, including them being used to replace older reactors on existing premises. They're good for quite a deal more power generation in a similar footprint and fuel usage than many of the 60s/70s designs in service, which could mean significant generation increases.

420DD Butts posted:

So, companies cannot patent seeds? Or they do not promote the development of seed that produces plants resistant to herbicides, which is crucial to monoculture? Are you really claiming that GMOs are not at all involved in sustaining our current agricultural system?

You don't need GMO to patent seeds. Patenting seeds was signed into law over 80 years ago.

Herbicide resistance is not crucial to monoculture, monoculture has been practiced for well over a hundred years because it doesn't make sense to intentionally plant a bunch of different seed varieties of the same crop on the same farm, ever.

GMOs do not "sustain our current agriculture system" whatever that's supposed to mean than conventional hybrids.

computer parts posted:

Keep in mind we haven't actually built any new plants in 40 years either.

We're building 5 reactors right now, in 3 different states at 3 different sites.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 6, 2014

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Install Windows posted:

Yeah we ended up finally getting new build started up that will replace more capacity then is going offline due to retirement. In a way it's a good thing it hasn't gotten much news coverage, more public awareness might get people to block it again.

If we're lucky, those Westinghouse AP1000 projects being successful will lead to a lot more of them being built in the medium term, including them being used to replace older reactors on existing premises. They're good for quite a deal more power generation in a similar footprint and fuel usage than many of the 60s/70s designs in service, which could mean significant generation increases.

You don't need GMO to patent seeds. Patenting seeds was signed into law over 80 years ago.

Herbicide resistance is not crucial to monoculture, monoculture has been practiced for well over a hundred years because it doesn't make sense to intentionally plant a bunch of different seed varieties of the same crop on the same farm, ever.

GMOs do not "sustain our current agriculture system" whatever that's supposed to mean than conventional hybrids.

However, you still have to overcome the NIMBY effect. Nuclear power, no matter how safe, is tainted in the puiblic view. 3 mile island cracked the image, Chernobyl shot it in the chest and Fukishima finished off in the head. You can tell people until you are blue in the face that its safe, but they will want the 'safer' coal and gas plants.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Couldn't we put the plants in the rear end-end of nowhere though? I mean the US is barely populated. Then again, as long as the myth of clean coal persists, people will view it as the best option.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cimber posted:

However, you still have to overcome the NIMBY effect. Nuclear power, no matter how safe, is tainted in the puiblic view. 3 mile island cracked the image, Chernobyl shot it in the chest and Fukishima finished off in the head. You can tell people until you are blue in the face that its safe, but they will want the 'safer' coal and gas plants.

Fukushima didn't do jack poo poo, 4 of these 5 new build reactors were started a good year or more after Fukushima!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Couldn't we put the plants in the rear end-end of nowhere though? I mean the US is barely populated.

I'm pretty sure the existing plants aren't in densely populated areas at all. People just oppose nuclear power for the same vague reasons they oppose GMOs or vaccinations or fluoride in your water: they don't understand it and therefore jump to the worst possible conclusions.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Install Windows posted:

Herbicide, fungicide, and pesticide resistance certainly does help when you're attempting to plant only one variety of a plant over a large tract of land. It allows you to do so without worrying about damage to the crop which would normally happen in lieu of those herbicides or any collateral damage that would come about from use of a herbicide. At an even more basic level it promotes herbicide use, which is decidedly not good for the environment. It helps prop up the system we currently have and does nothing to dissuade us from either A) planting a field of one variety of soybean or grain or B) using herbicides indiscriminately.

And don't current patent laws allow them to patent specific genes in the seeds? At least, this was my understanding.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Install Windows posted:

Fukushima didn't do jack poo poo, 4 of these 5 new build reactors were started a good year or more after Fukushima!

broke ground started or approved and passed by the local towns and zones.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Couldn't we put the plants in the rear end-end of nowhere though? I mean the US is barely populated. Then again, as long as the myth of clean coal persists, people will view it as the best option.

You need a large body of water nearby for cooling. There are places, but nimby is a strong force in the west.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I'm pretty sure the existing plants aren't in densely populated areas at all. People just oppose nuclear power for the same vague reasons they oppose GMOs or vaccinations or fluoride in your water: they don't understand it and therefore jump to the worst possible conclusions.

I don't think that is a fair comparison, after all, plants have had major meltdowns. Whether that implies future danger doesn't matter, because the general population now has a reference point in terms of how safe they are.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

If not for his terrible belief system I would gladly vote for a guy named Macho.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

What is with Australia and refugees? Are there really that many people seeking asylum there?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Pohl posted:

I don't think that is a fair comparison, after all, plants have had major meltdowns. Whether that implies future danger doesn't matter, because the general population now has a reference point in terms of how safe they are.

exactly. And now that more 'green' systems like wind and efficient solar electric are starting to come online, there is going to be more pressure to fight nuclear power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Cimber posted:

broke ground started or approved and passed by the local towns and zones.

We would have a nuclear reactor going up in Idaho but it turned out, the entire thing was a scam! The guy in charge raked in a lot of money before he was stopped, however.

• Locked thread