Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Manoueverable posted:

I seem to be getting the feeling that the reason why a bunch of teams are generating rumors about trading up to get JFF is that they want another to scramble and get him off the board early because they actually think he'll bust hard. I mean I'm probably overthinking it, but I keep thinking that's the only reason rumors are popping up and then fading just as quickly.

Just about positive that's the reason the Rams are talking JFF, at least. Trade with us to get him or we'll take him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

kiimo posted:

Yeah that's what I want, a spread QB that hasn't played in a pro system and buckles under pressure, is inaccurate in the clutch and is related to someone who was the same with expected results. Yeah that's better than Smith who had a career year and looks like he's bound to improve on it.

Improve our draft position maybe.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rap posted:

I've been running FanSpeak mocks (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/) over and over at work because I'm bored and why not, and it's frustrating how often Clowney is available for the Browns at #4. But sadly I don't get a shot at Manziel with pick 26 very often

49ers draft, jeez.

QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
LOUISVILLE
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
WR DAVANTE ADAMS
FRESNO STATE
CB PIERRE DESIR
LINDENWOOD
WR CODY LATIMER
INDIANA
C WESTON RICHBURG
COLORADO STATE
DE WILL CLARKE
WEST VIRGINIA
CB NEVIN LAWSON
UTAH STATE
FB RYAN HEWITT
STANFORD
K CAIRO SANTOS
TULANE
CB CARRINGTON BYNDOM
TEXAS

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rap posted:

I've been running FanSpeak mocks (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/) over and over at work because I'm bored and why not, and it's frustrating how often Clowney is available for the Browns at #4. But sadly I don't get a shot at Manziel with pick 26 very often

Bringing JFF where quarterbacks go to die

Vikings
QB MANZIEL, JOHNNY
TEXAS A&M
DE EALY, KONY
MISSOURI
RB MASON, TRE
AUBURN
WR ABBREDERIS, JARED
WISCONSIN
ILB BULLOUGH, MAX
MICHIGAN STATE
S VEREEN, BROCK
MINNESOTA
G DOZIER, DAKOTA
FURMAN
OLB JONES, HOWARD
SHEPHERD

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ahaha Mettenberger failed a drug test at the combine. Woops

quote:

Mettenberger’s physical therapist, Jason Eliowitz, attributes the positive test to efforts to combat dehydration. Eliowitz explains in the letter to Dr. Lawrence Brown that Mettenberger “was experiencing frequent muscle cramping during the day as well as at night while trying to sleep.” Thus, Mettenberger was advised to drink “as much as 1 to 1.5 gallons of of water per day, to increase his consumption of foods high in potassium, and to increase his sodium intake.”

It’s unclear whether this will shield Mettenberger from the substance-abuse program upon arrival at the NFL. More importantly, it’s unknown whether teams will accept the explanation and not regard the outcome as a red flag regarding efforts to mask either drug use or, given his effort to recover quickly from a torn ACL, the use of performance-enhancing substances.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not really.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24552015/mettenbergers-diluted-combine-drug-sample-explained-by-his-agent

quote:

the sample result was due to Mettenberger following doctors orders at the time as he was recovering from surgery and experiencing severe cramping, causing doctors to recommend he increase his potassium levels and drink excessive amounts of water, Linat said.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ahuh sure.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Given how the test is administered, its likely that the guy really did just over hydrate. We see it all the time.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Goddamnit, this is gonna make Aaron Murray rise on draft boards.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
When Mettenburger crawls, Aaron Murray will not fall

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mettenburger is a big-armed statue. I bet SA2K wants him.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Atticus Finch posted:

Goddamnit, this is gonna make Aaron Murray rise on draft boards.

I'm kind of shocked he's not been talked about more, to be honest - I like him more than Mettenberger/Garoppolo/McCarron (assuming his ACL heals to 100%, which is pretty common in today's NFL)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

1.5 Gallons of water a day? Sounds like a prescription for cotton mouth.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

swickles posted:

Given how the test is administered, its likely that the guy really did just over hydrate. We see it all the time.

Diluted urine is an automatic fail right?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Marketing New Brain posted:

1.5 Gallons of water a day? Sounds like a prescription for cotton mouth.
I bring a bit over a gallon of water to football practice and drink most of it in the duration, it's not that exorbitant for a professional athlete tbh

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/benjamin-gets-support-kaepernick-during-49ers-visit

quote:

Florida State wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin said he received some encouraging words from 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on his previously reported visit to the 49ers.

“I actually saw (Colin) Kaepernick,” Benjamin said Monday on 95.7 The Game. “He’s cool. He kept telling the coach, you know, (to) get me here. He wanted to see me in those football pads. I had a great time with the coaching staff. I love the organization. The weather out there is great. It was a great atmosphere.”

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Please no.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ahahahaha sorry for your loss

"With the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Texans select Blake Bortles"

poo poo

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Coldforge posted:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/benjamin-gets-support-kaepernick-during-49ers-visit

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Please no.

I don't blame Kap for wanting a jump ball receiver seeing what he's working with now.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

DupaDupa posted:

I don't blame Kap for wanting a jump ball receiver seeing what he's working with now.

I would be in favor of this if A) it weren't a first round pick, and B) Benjamin had like, any other discernible receiver skills.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I would be in favor of this if A) it weren't a first round pick, and B) Benjamin had like, any other discernible receiver skills.

My favorite thing people say about Benjamin is the "added value" he has, because you could always convert him to TE if he doesn't work at WR.

His biggest weakness after lack of hands & route running? Can't block.

:suicide:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rap posted:

First try at this, and Manziel falls to the Browns at #26.

Packers draft in which I save the team and sell tons of jerseys:

S HAHA CLINTON-DIX
ALABAMA
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
TE TROY NIKLAS
NOTRE DAME
WR JARED ABBREDERIS
WISCONSIN
C TRAVIS SWANSON
ARKANSAS
DT GEORGE UKO
USC
CB DEION BELUE
ALABAMA
QB DAVID FALES
SAN JOSE STATE
RB JAMES WILDER
FLORIDA STATE

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Abugadu posted:

First try at this, and Manziel falls to the Browns at #26.

Packers draft in which I save the team and sell tons of jerseys:

Goddammit I play this game all the time at work and never once had I have Ha Ha fall to 14 let alone 26.

Ugh gently caress it Bears purely BPA that somehow matched needs:

code:
14 CB DENNARD, DARQUEZE MICHIGAN STATE
51 DT JERNIGAN, TIMMY FLORIDA STATE
82 DT FERGUSON, EGO LSU
117 RB CAREY, KA'DEEM ARIZONA
156 S VEREEN, BROCK MINNESOTA
183 S SUNSERI, VINNIE ALABAMA
191 CB PURIFOY, LOUCHEIZ FLORIDA

DupaDupa fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 6, 2014

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
Timmy Jernigan failed the drug test too.

With the 47th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So that makes three (2.5?) failures so far... what did he get popped for?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

swickles posted:

So that makes three (2.5?) failures so far... what did he get popped for?

Glazer is reporting his sample was diluted too.

Anthony Johnson, Telvin Smith, and Christian Jones failed too apparently.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Coldforge posted:

My favorite thing people say about Benjamin is the "added value" he has, because you could always convert him to TE if he doesn't work at WR.

His biggest weakness after lack of hands & route running? Can't block.

:suicide:
You know what's better than 1 Jon Baldwin? 2 of them. :shobon:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

LiquidFriend posted:

I think I hate you :stare:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I dunno, if I was an athlete and potentially millions of dollars were on the line, I would be far more willing to be over hydrated and dealing with being waterlogged than have the possibility of getting cramps during a workout or feeling light headed or anything of the sort. Anything otherwise is just an opening for the Skip Baylesses of the world to cause you to lose hundreds of thousands (if not millions) by over reacting and giving you the injury label or even worse "not wanting it enough".

While the media can try to character assassinate over a diluted sample; teams are more willing to hire potheads than "injury risks"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DupaDupa posted:

Glazer is reporting his sample was diluted too.

Anthony Johnson, Telvin Smith, and Christian Jones failed too apparently.

This seems like a lot. Did they change labs or something?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

LiquidFriend posted:

They probably won't have the original after training camp so hopefully they don't decide to splurge on a newer model.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

They probably won't have the original after training camp so hopefully they don't decide to splurge on a newer model.
The newer model will be better became um

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

waah posted:

I dunno, if I was an athlete and potentially millions of dollars were on the line, I would be far more willing to be over hydrated and dealing with being waterlogged than have the possibility of getting cramps during a workout or feeling light headed or anything of the sort. Anything otherwise is just an opening for the Skip Baylesses of the world to cause you to lose hundreds of thousands (if not millions) by over reacting and giving you the injury label or even worse "not wanting it enough".

While the media can try to character assassinate over a diluted sample; teams are more willing to hire potheads than "injury risks"
Mettenberger didn't do poo poo at the combine except get measured and interviewed. He didn't even throw.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Grozz Nuy posted:

If you read this and absolutely nothing else ever Benjamin looks good.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/15/5593804/2014-nfl-draft-kelvin-benjamin-breakdown-hands-speed

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Elotana posted:

Mettenberger didn't do poo poo at the combine except get measured and interviewed. He didn't even throw.

Yeah, because he was injured. He said he failed because his doctor told him to drink lots of water and get potassium supplementation because he kepts getting cramps during rehab. Pain is usually the most common reason don't do rehab or don't do it properly. If he is doing what it takes to complete rehab, then its a fair statement to make.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kelvin Benjamin won FSU the national title

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Here's an effort post for the Chiefs draft.

Picks
Round 1 (23)
Round 3 (87)
Round 4 (127)
Round 5 (163)
Round 6 (193)
Round 6 (200)

Primary Needs
Wide Receiver - The Chiefs Wide Receivers are bad and Andy Reid likes to throw the ball a lot. They need to come away from the draft with at least a #2 WR.

Right Guard - Right now the Chiefs starting RG is Rishaw Johnson. Who in the gently caress is Rishaw Johnson?

Inside Linebacker - Joe Mays is a terrible player and they need a 3 down back next to Derrick Johnson.

Secondary Needs
Offensive Tackle - The Chiefs depth at OT is very thin.

Quarterback - Who knows what will happen with Alex Smith and they need to rid themselves of the terrible contract they gave to Chase Daniel.

Outside Linebacker - They need depth for right now and ideally, a successor to Tamba Hali. He's slowing down and cap problems will lead to them having no choice but to release or trade Tamba.

Maybe
Free Safety - Words can't even begin to describe exactly how bad Kendrick Lewis was at FS and thankfully he is gone. The staff seems high on Sanders Commings, who played a game all last season and spent the rest of it on IR. Doesn't sound like a great plan, but this safety class is really bad so.....

Kicker - Ryan Succop has a 3.5 million cap hit next season. Scott Pioli :psyduck:

Nose Tackle - Would help to get some decent depth behind Poe. He logged an ungodly amount of snaps in 2013.

Tight End - Fasano looked old, tired and hurt most of last season and Kelce is coming off a year long visit on the IR from micro-fracture surgery on his knee. :ohdear:

Left Guard - Jeff Allen is kinda bad at football.

Priority UDFA
Running Back - Knile Davis may not be 100% Week 1 and Cyrus Gray isn't good.

In short, please somebody trade up to #23 and give the Chiefs a lot of draft picks in return. Thanks!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Inside linebacker is four need spots higher than free safety??

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

Inside linebacker is four need spots higher than free safety??
They seem to be really high on Sanders Commings at FS, so I put FS lower down on the list. He could be good I guess, but we already know that Joe Mays is bad at football.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What about Nico Johnson? Are we just throwing that pick away already? Sanders Commings is a corner they're trying to convert. Color me unconvinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I haven't seen any evidence that would lead me to believe that Nico Johnson could ever be a 3 down player. Sanders Commings at least looked decent in the limited gametime that he had.

I'd like to see another option at FS, but this isn't a good safety class. There are at least some options at ILB.

• Locked thread