Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aldis' Keep and the Dragon Aerie are cool zones. I got owned by a skeleton though.

e: Soul Geyser didn't do poo poo to a pvp guy. Is it meant for pve? He literally walked right through it.

e: It's happened twice now, they don't even have to roll, just walk forward.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

what? white phantoms can heal all they want with estus or their stones.

if youre a red phantom you shouldnt want to heal any way because thats not what its about and makes you a scrub if you have to

"your a scrub if you have to heal in a laggy game when the enemy can chug all the estus they like"

I see a flaw in your logic.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Internet Kraken posted:

"your a scrub if you have to heal in a laggy game when the enemy can chug all the estus they like"

I see a flaw in your logic.

complaining about lag now too when everyone faces the same problems, the scrub is strong in this one

when they go to heal should often be your kill shot if youre on your game

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

He's complaining because the lag makes it much easier for someone who is terrible but can heal to just grind someone much better down. Especially now that most invasions are 2v1s with how common phantoms and the funpolice are.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I'm gonna make a Shrek lookalike and name it Emerald Herald.

Dude with bright green hair and mustache named Emerald Harold.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Domattee posted:

He's complaining because the lag makes it much easier for someone who is terrible but can heal to just grind someone much better down. Especially now that most invasions are 2v1s with how common phantoms and the funpolice are.

This. I keep nearly getting kills on people, then they get away with a sliver of health and heal back up because the game is laggy and hit detection is poo poo at times. Go ahead and keep pretending I somehow don't understand that you're supposed to hit someone when they heal though. I mean who would ever think to do that????

According to the wiki the rats in grave of the saints can drop warmth, though I've never seen that. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: You know for how lovely the great scythe is it has really good durability. Silver lining to a terrible weapon I guess.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 6, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm liking my look so far. I think the bandit's armor is really cool!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Soul Geyser does less damage than a soul spear when it actually does hit. What am I missing about it?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

According to the wiki the rats in grave of the saints can drop warmth, though I've never seen that. Can anyone confirm?

They do, I have 5 copies or so from greys killing my pets.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Domattee posted:

eh its still a matter of get gud

I can see how that would suck if youre getting ganked by people selecting your stone for a fight, but invaders should be able to take on multiple people without healing and if they cant its because theyre not good enough. I know to prioritize the host when I can't win against multiples otherwise. Lag stabs and all the problems around it suck but in generally lag is part of the game and you have to time around it case by case.

You risk nothing you win nothing. The only problem is how stupidly rare cracked red eye orbs are.

Internet Kraken posted:

This. I keep nearly getting kills on people, then they get away with a sliver of health and heal back up because the game is laggy and hit detection is poo poo at times. Go ahead and keep pretending I somehow don't understand that you're supposed to hit someone when they heal though. I mean who would ever think to do that????

oh okay, you know what to do, youre just bad at it.

scrub

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mariposa posted:

I was doing this earlier, too. I got 9 medals in about 30-40 minutes, maybe, and then I decided to take a break. I only had one host die, I think because he killed the staff Lord first and ignored the wheels until he got beaten to death. Almost nobody seems to die, especially with help, though honestly I'm not much help (using mostly soul arrows). I should go back there now with some fireballs.

In the later-game I had similar luck with shrine of amana, and the guardian drake. Both are incredibly easy, generally quick, and people rarely die in them.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So the Grand Lance is pretty good for pvp, nobody EVER expects the 1-handed strong attacks swipe :getin:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I got summoned as a looking glass squire! :woop:

Murdered the poor guy, it was great. Wish I didn't have to wait for half an hour for it though, also while dodging the leagues of golden havel casters ready to gangbang you as soon as they summon you.

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: You know for how lovely the great scythe is it has really good durability. Silver lining to a terrible weapon I guess.

It's a defender's advantage given to the host to compensate for the fact that the invader will be coming with full resources, whilst the host will have at least partially depleted theirs trying to get through the area. Not to mention the potential for the host to be caught up in fighting creatures when the invader shows up. Also that if the host dies, he loses humanity, souls and progress - the invader loses nothing.

It's completely reasonable that red phantoms can not heal, while the host can.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
Well, 30 cracked red eye orbs later and I've come to the conclusion that there are only three armor sets in this game; havel's, hexers and one I can't identify. I just wish people would live a little so that it doesn't feel like I'm invading the same greatsword wielding, havel wearing fellow every time.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Soul Geyser does less damage than a soul spear when it actually does hit. What am I missing about it?

It scales in a slightly silly way on bigger targets because of its fragmentation mechanic, from what I remember. Try it on a big boss!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tildryn posted:

It's a defender's advantage given to the host to compensate for the fact that the invader will be coming with full resources, whilst the host will have at least partially depleted theirs trying to get through the area. Not to mention the potential for the host to be caught up in fighting creatures when the invader shows up. Also that if the host dies, he loses humanity and souls - the invader loses nothing.

It's completely reasonable that red phantoms can not heal, while the host can.

Red phantoms can heal though, you just need certain spells, so if its a balancing factor its a hilariously terrible one. Also if you've ever invaded someone you know that 95% of players just run away from enemies rather than actually try to progress. The defender's advantage in this game is ridiculously huge.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

oh okay, you know what to do, youre just bad at it.

scrub

Nah you're just full of poo poo. Tell me more about how I'm supposed to dodge every single attack when I get hit by a soul arrow that is 5 feet away from me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

A scrub is a guy who thinks he's fly. Also known as a "Bustah", you see.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I can't believe they looked at DkS 1 WoG and said "This spell isn't good enough, it also needs to do 4000 damage if not rolled through perfectly"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Well, 30 cracked red eye orbs later and I've come to the conclusion that there are only three armor sets in this game; havel's, hexers and one I can't identify. I just wish people would live a little so that it doesn't feel like I'm invading the same greatsword wielding, havel wearing fellow every time.

There's like 3 different caster sets you can get from Navlan that look pretty cool, but the only set with cast speed is the lovely lion mage rags. Casting speed is so vital in PVP it makes them the only real choice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SurrealityCheck posted:

It scales in a slightly silly way on bigger targets because of its fragmentation mechanic, from what I remember. Try it on a big boss!

Thanks. I figured it was just something like that, but seeing that giant wave of magic just go right through a guy and he kind of just shrugs was a bit lame. Especially compared to firing a sun at them. Judging by these bonfires though I'm nearly the endgame. I've got Dragon Shrine and the other king's doors. That's it besides Vendrick and the dark covenant right?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Mr Wikstroem posted:

I'm a Manikin :v:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks. I figured it was just something like that, but seeing that giant wave of magic just go right through a guy and he kind of just shrugs was a bit lame. Especially compared to firing a sun at them. Judging by these bonfires though I'm nearly the endgame. I've got Dragon Shrine and the other king's doors. That's it besides Vendrick and the dark covenant right?

You can 2-shot guardian dragon on new game plus, that type of thing. I suspect you probably got unlucky with where the projectiles went and had some funny hit detection?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spent a while grinding out sun medals in ng+, kinda sucks when someone summons you to murder a blue cop and then immediately banishes you. Oh well, I got my medals. Now I just have to be a bellhop for a while and get the boss soul spells. It's nice how fast the game goes in ng+, it took me six hours to go through the Forest of Fallen Giants the first time but in ng+ I beat the Lost Sinner in about five. And that's with farming for over 30 sun medals!

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Dandywalken posted:

Watching this owns so hard.

You were so super cautious during the ONE Royal Swordsman skeleton you met.

How much more cautious can you be? :twisted:

Which ones are the royal swordsman skeletons? I'm pretty cautious, that's how we do.

Stream finished, beat the sentinels on first real try (died there earlier in the game when I walked in there not knowing what the hell), then got through Sinner's Rise and beat the boss on first try :toot:

Now I am in Huntsman's Copse and promptly walked off a ledge while talking about graphics :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't use it in PVP first of all. I've tried and tried and only ever got one person stupid enough to get hit by it.

For PVE, you have to be at the proper distance to make sure all the spears converge on the target. I want to say you have to be fairly close for that to happen? Been a while since I've used it.

It's basically the (large) boss destroyer, even after the nerf. Shouldn't take more than three or four casts to take out any boss in ng+.

Domattee posted:

I can't believe they looked at DkS 1 WoG and said "This spell isn't good enough, it also needs to do 4000 damage if not rolled through perfectly"

It's balanced because it takes an extra half a second to cast. :downs:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm liking my look so far. I think the bandit's armor is really cool!

That tree in the background = why GeDoSaTo DOF is terrible.
Also because if you walk up to a rock and pan the camera onto your face it's all blurry.
Agree bandit armor is cool. Try desert sorceress top too. :getin:

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I'm curious about something re: pvp and graphics. If you cast poison mist or whatever, can you use it as a smokescreen to wind up a spell out of your opponent's sight? I've been trying this out, but I'm not sure if it's actually working or not.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Red phantoms can heal though, you just need certain spells, so if its a balancing factor its a hilariously terrible one. Also if you've ever invaded someone you know that 95% of players just run away from enemies rather than actually try to progress. The defender's advantage in this game is ridiculously huge.

Nah you're just full of poo poo. Tell me more about how I'm supposed to dodge every single attack when I get hit by a soul arrow that is 5 feet away from me.

Dude youre whining about not being able to heal as an invader... outside of the cost/benefit of specifically devoting a few points to get a skill that lets you heal.

Thats balance. If invaders could heal then the second you got ganked by an invader chugging estus you'd probably be back in this thread complaining about that instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Dude youre whining about not being able to heal as an invader... outside of the cost/benefit of specifically devoting a few points to get a skill that lets you heal.

Thats balance. If invaders could heal then the second you got ganked by an invader chugging estus you'd probably be back in this thread complaining about that instead.

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah you're just full of poo poo.

If you aren't even going to read what I said then don't respond. You're talking about balance in a perfect world scenario where lag doesn't matter at all.

EDIT: I really don't get why you think being an invader somehow confers a massive advantage to you, when its the complete other way around.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 6, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm in NG+, but Wellager aint coughing up those miracles i need for the achievement. I'm at bonfire intensity 3 for this area, shouldn't this work?

I know you need to be in NG++ but bonfire intensity 3 is pretty much the same thing, right? or do you have to be in journey 3.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm in NG+, but Wellager aint coughing up those miracles i need for the achievement. I'm at bonfire intensity 3 for this area, shouldn't this work?

I know you need to be in NG++ but bonfire intensity 3 is pretty much the same thing, right? or do you have to be in journey 3.

Gotta be in actual NG++

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

If you aren't even going to read what I said then don't respond. You're talking about balance in a perfect world scenario where lag doesn't matter at all.

EDIT: I really don't get why you think being an invader somehow confers a massive advantage to you, when its the complete other way around.

How does letting invaders heal fix lag instead of just causing estus chuggers to be on both sides of the equation? Being an invader isn't about having a massive advantage, its about going to gently caress someone up when they dont expect it and aren't prepared for it. Youre upset because youre getting hosed up instead and aren't prepared for it.

Invest the points, invest in lloyds, or quit whining.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah complaining about not being able to heal while invading is just ridiculously stupid.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My dude looks stupid

edit: im on the left

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Being an invader isn't about having a massive advantage, its about going to gently caress someone up when they dont expect it and aren't prepared for it.

Alright you clearly don't actually invade since 95% of people you invade just camp out and wait for you to come to them since you're the one on a time limit, not them.

immortal flow posted:

I'm curious about something re: pvp and graphics. If you cast poison mist or whatever, can you use it as a smokescreen to wind up a spell out of your opponent's sight? I've been trying this out, but I'm not sure if it's actually working or not.

I'm pretty sure they will see the effect of some spells through the fog. They'll at least hear the sound though and probably catch on to what you're doing.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel that invaders usually have a massive advantage (Speaking from about 40 invasions in NG) because they are geared for PvP, expecting to fight someone, and (usually) have a map's worth of NPC enemies to fall back on if they need assistance. I'm sure things differ between characters and play styles, but my Affinity > Soul Spear combo has a decently high success rate for instantly one-shotting unsuspecting hosts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Why should invaders have any kind of advantage, anyway? They're the ones going out of their way to dick someone over, they should have to work for that victory.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why should invaders have any kind of advantage, anyway? They're the ones going out of their way to dick someone over, they should have to work for that victory.

There is quite literally no drawbacks to being a bellbro besides losing a ring slot. If you die, you lose nothing. If you win (and lets be honest, it's really easy to win), you get a titanite chunk, your health is topped up, and your spell count replenished. You don't even move your position from where you were taken from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright you clearly don't actually invade since 95% of people you invade just camp out and wait for you to come to them since you're the one on a time limit, not them.

Wrong again my friend, I would invade all the time if I could get my hands on more cracked red eye orbs. Because of that I spent more time in BellBros (up to covenant level 3) although I don't like it as much as pure red invasions.