Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ holy poo poo I did not know that. I just knew about Matt Fraction not her.

Baron Bifford posted:

I've started reading Avengers: The Initiative and I hate it. It pisses on my ideal of what superheroes represent. Becoming a superhero should be a freely-made choice that is rare, bizarre and not entirely sensible. Here we have the government trying to mass-produce superheroes like sausages by press-ganging children, some of whom have no interest in being either a hero or a villain. Cloud 9 is a case in point.

They literally have a nazi doctor working for them. It was never really seen as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Wanderer posted:

She's an alcoholic too.

I have to figure that of the list of things you think might go wrong with Captain Marvel, a relapse shouldn't be on it until such a time as DeConnick is off the book.

Fraction did a storyline with Tony relapsing. What's to stop KSD doing a relapse story? Relapse is a part of recovery.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Carol gets space drunk with the Guardians, wakes up next to Rocket.

"Well, at least it wasn't Simon again."

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Sheesh, first Tony, then Carol and now Flash...the Guardians are basically Space-A.A. huh? Who are the Avengers sending up next? Sally Floyd?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaleidoscope posted:

Sheesh, first Tony, then Carol and now Flash...the Guardians are basically Space-A.A. huh? Who are the Avengers sending up next? Sally Floyd?

"You were brought to space as a child in the 80s Peter Quill! You're almost as irreverent as Cap! Have you watched a single episode of Duck Dynasty!?"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I just saw a cover of Cyclops and X-23 kissing. Oh my God I cannot tell you how fitting that is and I hope they end up an item.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baron Bifford posted:

I've started reading Avengers: The Initiative and I hate it. It pisses on my ideal of what superheroes represent. Becoming a superhero should be a freely-made choice that is rare, bizarre and not entirely sensible. Here we have the government trying to mass-produce superheroes like sausages by press-ganging children, some of whom have no interest in being either a hero or a villain. Cloud 9 is a case in point.

I have no idea why you'd pick up that stain on comics history. The butterball issue is pretty good, but it doesn't even come close to justifying the series' existence.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gatts posted:

I just saw a cover of Cyclops and X-23 kissing. Oh my God I cannot tell you how fitting that is and I hope they end up an item.

How old is X-23?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gatts posted:

Greg Rucka took Cyclops away from Bendis before more could happen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Greg Rucka took Cyclops away from Bendis before more could happen.

Give Greg Rucka a medal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

hope and vaseline posted:

How old is X-23?

She better be old enough. I want Wolverine to walk in one day and see Cyclops macking on X-23...I just...cannot fathom what'd go through his head. Or young Jean and young Cyclops. Maybe have Spider-man walk in randomly, shrug his shoulders, and say "Clones, eh."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hope and vaseline posted:

How old is X-23?

I think she actually aged at a normal rate. She's 16-17.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It should be noted it was Young Cyclops doing the kiss in the cover, which just makes it slightly less strange.

I like to imagine Marvel running, like, a daycare and wanting Rucka's parents to let them stay with them, so they go "Okay, you'll get to play with any toy you want, what do you wanna play with?" and he points at Bendis pressing Young Cyclops and X-23 together "I wanna get Young Cyclops! And his dad!" and Marvel just runs to Bendis and yanks the toy away from him.
Then Soule finishes playing with his army of toys and goes wait for DC to pick him up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is Soule good? I haven't read anything by him.

I also bought the $75 Infinity collection and it rules. Also has the Surfer comics in there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think she actually aged at a normal rate. She's 16-17.

Shouldn't she be in her 20s if she aged at a normal rate?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gatts posted:

I also bought the $75 Infinity collection and it rules. Also has the Surfer comics in there.

His She-Hulk is a lot of fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Shouldn't she be in her 20s if she aged at a normal rate?

This is Marvel time we're talking about.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gatts posted:

He made Thunderbolts and Red Lantern Corps amazing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I have no idea why you'd pick up that stain on comics history. The butterball issue is pretty good, but it doesn't even come close to justifying the series' existence.
I was rereading Civil War, which I still think is one of the best things to happen to comic books.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's got the soulDNA of a 100 year old man in a 18 year old girl's body

edit:wow that sounded way worse

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I was rereading Civil War, which I still think is one of the best things to happen to comic books.

Well, you just read the best counter-argument to that point of view.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Give Greg Rucka a medal.

Young Scott and X-23 is great, man. And it'll still be a thing when Scott gets back from space.

I hope that's what kills Wolverine. He just gets a heart attack when he hears they hooked up or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Young Scott and X-23 is great, man. And it'll still be a thing when Scott gets back from space.

I hope that's what kills Wolverine. He just gets a heart attack when he hears they hooked up or something.

See, my angle here is that I hate Cyclops and like X-23, and think it's super creepy to hook them up, especially since it flies in the face of previous X-23 characterization, and I think it's just more of Bendis being kinda skeevy with some of his pet female characters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

especially since it flies in the face of previous X-23 characterization, and I think it's just more of Bendis being kinda skeevy with some of his pet female characters.
I agree it is Bendis being skeevy because the book seems to be about that, but how does it fly against the face of her characterization? Other than the fact he isn't a jerk like the last boy she had a thing for? (Whose name I completely forget because I haven't read a book with him in it since like AoX? McNoHands? That guy? That is the last one right?)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

See, my angle here is that I hate Cyclops and like X-23, and think it's super creepy to hook them up, especially since it flies in the face of previous X-23 characterization, and I think it's just more of Bendis being kinda skeevy with some of his pet female characters.

Why is it creepy? If it was old Scott, yeah.

But you hate Cyclops so I don't like you very much anyway. :colbert:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I literally bought those trades for Taskmaster and Antman. The rest of it is pretty meh, but I would have totally bought a buddy comedy with those two.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You probably don't like many people very much then.

I mean, I'm giving Rucka a chance, but he'll need to do miracles to get me to like Scott. (though opening with Flyclops in Space is a good way to convince me)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yeah how could anybody hate a character that's schtick is them going through a perpetual midlife crisis?

gently caress YOU PROFESSOR DAD I'M MY OWN MAN! I WEAR BIG-BOY PANTS AND AM MAGNETO ULTRA LIGHT NOW!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

To be honest having a character from another time hooking up with a present day character is always creepy.

Plus its just a cheap (and kind of boring) way to instill drama.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I had a science teacher who's values oppose my own in every way and who tried to take over the world violently and I swore to kill their significant other if I saw them again because of their heinous actions, do you not see how it would be out of character for me to hook up with their younger self?

This is a strained analogy but comics are very stupid, especially this time-displaced X-men poo poo.

Anyway, Greg Rucka solved the problem, and hopefully Bendis gets distracted by a shiny thing before he can get back to that "romance".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest having a character from another time hooking up with a present day character is always creepy.

Plus its just a cheap (and kind of boring) way to instill drama.

Yeah, cuz they have to go back and no way something creepy like that stays ("ah, we're back to the past, just gotta wait a while for the love of my life to be born!")

Though i'm amused by the idea of Young Scott marrying X-23 in the present. A double wedding with present Scott marrying Emma Frost. And Cable has to stop a wedding or cease existing, but he doesn't know which.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shawn posted:

Fraction did a storyline with Tony relapsing. What's to stop KSD doing a relapse story? Relapse is a part of recovery.

Not always. Also when Tony relapse it was him giving up something that is worth the most to him. Saying relapsing is part of everyone's recovery is dangrous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Despite the Cyclops/X-23 cover, they never even really get close.

Although X-23 is all mopey about him leaving anyway.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least she's away from the whole Avengers Undercover/Arena thing. Not that I enjoy her character, but no character should have to be put through that. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I used to hate the character and saw her as the ultimate cynical attempt to draw in dumb teenage readers (Wolverine but as a hot teen girl! with angst!!), but Marjorie Liu did a good job of making her three-dimensional and interesting in her third solo series.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not always. Also when Tony relapse it was him giving up something that is worth the most to him. Saying relapsing is part of everyone's recovery is dangrous.

Yeah, I think Fraction is the only writer I've seen who's used Tony's recovery as something he's proud of and fighting for, as opposed to just some mania that comes over him every so often.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, I think Fraction is the only writer I've seen who's used Tony's recovery as something he's proud of and fighting for, as opposed to just some mania that comes over him every so often.
Tony was Carol Danvers's sponsor in Busiek's Avengers but I haven't read that in forever so I forget how well it was handled.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

bobkatt013 posted:

If we're fighting straw-men pretending like relapse doesn't exist is a dangerous thing.

Relapse is a thing that happens to most addicts to the point of almost all at one time or another in their recovery.

Substance Abuse Counselor's are taught to minimize the stigma attached to relapse and normalize it. To the point that it IS taught in treatment that relapse is a part of recovery, it's in the manuals, I didn't coin that cute phrase.

But the whole point is moot, because "relapse is a part of recovery" does not equal "every single person in recovery ever ever ever relapses" but thanks for telling me I'm dangerous at my job.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shawn posted:

If we're fighting straw-men pretending like relapse doesn't exist is a dangerous thing.

Relapse is a thing that happens to most addicts to the point of almost all at one time or another in their recovery.

Substance Abuse Counselor's are taught to minimize the stigma attached to relapse and normalize it. To the point that it IS taught in treatment that relapse is a part of recovery, it's in the manuals, I didn't coin that cute phrase.

But the whole point is moot, because "relapse is a part of recovery" does not equal "every single person in recovery ever ever ever relapses" but thanks for telling me I'm dangerous at my job.

I am saying that it does happen to a lot, but if you look at the ones in recovery Carol is the ot one who has not relapsed. That is something that I like about her recovery. Tony has relapsed a bunch and Flash has relapsed with both booze and Venom itself is addiction itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Tony was Carol Danvers's sponsor in Busiek's Avengers but I haven't read that in forever so I forget how well it was handled.

I believe it mostly took place in Busiek's concurrent run on Iron Man. Can't remember for sure, though.

• Locked thread