Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Would an 8"tablet still have a 16:9 screen? The Nexus 7 is awesome but I feel like it would have been a much better device with a 16:10 or 4:3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Both Nexus 7s are 16:10, so is the Nexus 10.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The 2013 7 isn't really in need of a refresh. I'd buy one new again in a heartbeat. It's a drat good tablet even almost a year after the fact.

I just replaced my 2012 and I have to agree. New sizes sound cool though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Would an 8"tablet still have a 16:9 screen? The Nexus 7 is awesome but I feel like it would have been a much better device with a 16:10 or 4:3
Urgh, no, 4:3 devices are disgustingly unusable.

I genuinely like iOS and there are a lot of benefits to owning an iPad over an Android tablet, primarily that the app ecosystem is a lot more mature.

But 4:3 is just a horrible screen size for any kind of visual media consumption. Watching a film on a full size iPad and a N7 gives you a pretty similar usable screen size, for example.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Tunga posted:

Urgh, no, 4:3 devices are disgustingly unusable.

I genuinely like iOS and there are a lot of benefits to owning an iPad over an Android tablet, primarily that the app ecosystem is a lot more mature.

But 4:3 is just a horrible screen size for any kind of visual media consumption. Watching a film on a full size iPad and a N7 gives you a pretty similar usable screen size, for example.

But for anything apart from watching films they're great. Although admittedly that may be a matter of preference, I even dislike wide-screen monitors because I want more height then width!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

But for anything apart from watching films they're great. Although admittedly that may be a matter of preference, I even dislike wide-screen monitors because I want more height then width!
Turn it portrait?

Certainy a matter of preference but I just find the iPad size to be clumsy and unwieldy. I can turn my N7 and N10 either way and it is the perfect ratio for watching or reading.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The iPad aspect still works best for everything that isn't video (and really who watches video on a tablet anyway?)

I think the problem with the N7 is landscape is the combination of on-screen button bar and the notification bar takes up way too much space. If you subtract that area then what is left is somewhere around 16:9. Not sure how this is better than the old 3.0/4.0 tablet layout - at least there was only one bar to deal with then

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those bars both go away when you do anything that you would reasonably do in landscape (videos, games), at which point the screen is the perfect ratio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The latest version of android lets any app developer make their app full screen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tunga posted:

Those bars both go away when you do anything that you would reasonably do in landscape (videos, games), at which point the screen is the perfect ratio.

Cojawfee posted:

The latest version of android lets any app developer make their app full screen.

I tend to use Chrome in landscape as the screen is just too small to comfortably read desktop websites in portrait.

Regardless of whether apps can go full screen most don't (Chrome in particular)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Cool, so 8.5% of devices can access this feature!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Cool, so 8.5% of devices can access this feature!
100% of the Android tablets being discussed in the conversation can access this feature.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having issues with Android OS on the Nexus 7 2013? It ended up being awake for 2 days straight and killed the battery pretty quickly. Not sure how to fix it since 4.4.x rendered Better Battery Stats pretty much useless.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

100% of the Android tablets being discussed in the conversation can access this feature.

He's just being cranky and pedantic, I think he's referring to the breakdown of KitKat users.

e: http://androidandme.com/2014/05/news/android-4-4-kitkat-grows-to-8-5-percent-in-latest-platform-distribution-stats/

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone having issues with Android OS on the Nexus 7 2013? It ended up being awake for 2 days straight and killed the battery pretty quickly. Not sure how to fix it since 4.4.x rendered Better Battery Stats pretty much useless.

Yes I am. Took it off the charger this morning and now it's at 88% with barely any use and over three hours of awake time from Android OS.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

He's just being cranky and pedantic, I think he's referring to the breakdown of KitKat users.

e: http://androidandme.com/2014/05/news/android-4-4-kitkat-grows-to-8-5-percent-in-latest-platform-distribution-stats/
I know what he was referring to and it was totally irrelevant to the conversation that was taking place. It was just a stupid snipe at Android's version fragmentation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes I am. Took it off the charger this morning and now it's at 88% with barely any use and over three hours of awake time from Android OS.

Did a reboot and it looks like things are okay now...not sure how long it'll last. :v:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dissss posted:

The iPad aspect still works best for everything that isn't video (and really who watches video on a tablet anyway?)
Reading comics in full page is a hell of a lot better in 16:10 than on iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Reading comics in full page is a hell of a lot better in 16:10 than on iPad.

I'd rather read on a 9.7" iPad screen than a 7" Android tablet worth getting screen.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
If the rumors are true that HTC is designing the next Nexus tablet, then all they need to do is toss the same speakers as the HTC one in that thing and I'll buy it instantly. It is sad that my phone has better sound than my tablet, and I have to make the design of watching something on my phone for better sound or on my tablet for the bigger screen.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

If the rumors are true that HTC is designing the next Nexus tablet, then all they need to do is toss the same speakers as the HTC one in that thing and I'll buy it instantly. It is sad that my phone has better sound than my tablet, and I have to make the design of watching something on my phone for better sound or on my tablet for the bigger screen.

Out of interest where do you watch movies on your phone but don't use headphones?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man I havn't followed the Android tablet market at all since selling my gen 1 Nexus 7, but is this worth a poo poo at all?

http://www.woot.com/offers/16gb-memo-pad-7-tablet-w-case?ref=cnt_wp_6_12

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Not really. 1ghz processor and 1GB of RAM is not worth it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

DemonMage posted:

Not really. 1ghz processor and 1GB of RAM is not worth it.

Anything worth getting around 100-150? Still Nexus 7?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Only Nexus Seven

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

E2M2 posted:

Anything worth getting around 100-150? Still Nexus 7?

You can get a refurb 2013 32GB N7 for $169. I'd buy that over a 2-year-old refurb on Woot.

http://www.androidcentral.com/refurbished-nexus-7-2013-just-169-ebay

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Sri.Theo posted:

Out of interest where do you watch movies on your phone but don't use headphones?

Mostly in bed at night. My wife and I like to go to bed relatively early and watch Netflix and movies/tv from a laptop hosting Plex and SABnzbd. It is a lot cheaper/easier than buying a second tv and trying to make it work in our relatively small bedroom. Also, whenever I want to watch stuff but am not in the living room, like if I want to watch half an episode of Archer in the morning during breakfast.

In other words, any time I am watching a video in a private place where headphones are unnecessary, which is most of the places I watch videos.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Are there any good 10 inch tablets that are 300ish or less? The wife has decided she wants to sell her laptop and get an android tablet, since her use has been pretty casual and she loves her android phone.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 7, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Doghouse posted:

Are there any good 10 inch tablets that are 300ish or less? The wife has decided she wants to sell her laptop and get an android tablet, since her use has been pretty casual and she loves her android phone.

If you don't mind buying used, I'm actually thinking about selling my Nexus 10 32gb. It works great, I just haven't touched it much since I got a Surface Pro.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's a possibility of an 8.9" HTC Nexus tablet coming, codename "Flounder".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...and-android-tv/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's a possibility of an 8.9" HTC Nexus tablet coming, codename "Flounder".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...and-android-tv/

Dunno how I feel about this. I have a N7 2013 I like it, but I'd not be opposed to getting a slightly larger one, I just hope there's really nice cases for it. All the cases for Nexus devices aren't very good. By good I mean I want the Apple iPad Smart Cover exactly as is for the Nexus.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Dunno how I feel about this. I have a N7 2013 I like it, but I'd not be opposed to getting a slightly larger one, I just hope there's really nice cases for it. All the cases for Nexus devices aren't very good. By good I mean I want the Apple iPad Smart Cover exactly as is for the Nexus.

Looks like the device may have a Tegra since "Flounder" and "Tegra" are on the same line in the AOSP changelog. That may change your mind about it. :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the device may have a Tegra since "Flounder" and "Tegra" are on the same line in the AOSP changelog. That may change your mind about it. :v:

Tegra is bad, right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Tegra is bad, right?

Tegra 2 and 3 didn't seem too popular. People around here seem to hate them compared to the Snapdragons at least.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tegra 2 and 3 didn't seem too popular. People around here seem to hate them compared to the Snapdragons at least.

The 2012 Nexus 7 had a Tegra 3 in it and it was fine. There were "issues" with Tegra 2, especially on phones.

I may be mistaken, but I think most Tegra 2 devices didn't see anything past gingerbread.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Athenry posted:

I may be mistaken, but I think most Tegra 2 devices didn't see anything past gingerbread.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't entirely the manufacturers' faults. NVIDIA stopped supporting it and never released the support code. Texas Instruments did the same thing with the Galaxy Nexus.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

If I remember correctly, it wasn't entirely the manufacturers' faults. NVIDIA stopped supporting it and never released the support code. Texas Instruments did the same thing with the Galaxy Nexus.

It seems OMAP support in some manner is alive and well considering Kit Kat is running on Glass and it's the exact same CPU as the Galaxy Nexus.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Tegra is bad, right?

Tegra 3 was a breath of fresh air after the 2 was genuinely awful. The Tegra 4 is incredible, my Shield hasn't broken a sweat on anything I've thrown its way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So my 2013 N7 (unrooted) decided to turn off at some point last night. Upon turning it on, it never gets past the google logo. It will boot into fastboot and my laptop sees it but a command to wipe cache failed. Failing flash memory and time to RMA, or am I just reading too much into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Tegra 4 is actually a really good chip.