Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have backed some projects that appeared to gently caress off and totally go silent but it turned out they just do all their updates by twitter or facebook or whatever and dropped KS like a hot rock once the funding part was done (even though they are progressing). This seems more and more common.

I am interested in the process and details of developing and bringing products to life, so I used to contribute 1-5$ for campaigns I wanted to be "in the loop" for via effortless email updates straight to my inbox, but where I wasn't ready (or interested) in a physical reward. But that doesn't seem to actually get me anything anymore, so I don't bother now. I just star stuff I don't actually want to contribute to and tell myself I'll look it up again at some undefined point in the future before I forget all about them.

This really irritates me. I get that other forums are frequently better suited for frequent and/or bite-sized updates about your project, especially if you want feedback, want to format your post much to speak of, do polls, etc. But it should be absolutely mandatory to communicate major events and or at least some basic links/monthly summaries via Kickstarter as well, because as you say, that's effortless email updates straight to all your backers.

I have backed over 150 projects at this point. I am not going to manually follow every one of those on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, their private forums, etc in order to keep up to date on their progress, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that. (Conversely, I don't need to be updated about every last little detail because if I'm that invested, I will be present on their forums etc.)

I've had (non-TG) projects go as far as only announcing their abandonment on their forums and not on the KS project. That is some bullshit right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

malkav11 posted:

I have backed over 150 projects at this point. I am not going to manually follow every one of those on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, their private forums, etc in order to keep up to date on their progress, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that. (Conversely, I don't need to be updated about every last little detail because if I'm that invested, I will be present on their forums etc.)
I think it's a combination of trying to build a "community" and getting hits. Which is fine (the first part, anyway), but I don't need to (or want to) go to yet another drat forum/site/whatever or make a Twitter account just to learn something that could be copy-pasted into a Kickstarter update.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it's a combination of trying to build a "community" and getting hits. Which is fine (the first part, anyway), but I don't need to (or want to) go to yet another drat forum/site/whatever or make a Twitter account just to learn something that could be copy-pasted into a Kickstarter update.

Yeah. Like I say, I'm totally fine with the primary community activity happening elsewhere. Kickstarter really isn't a good place for discussion or community interaction, even during funding. Afterwards it's certainly not. What's not okay is not mirroring the important stuff to Kickstarter updates.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

quote:

As for missing Adepticon. Palladium has been so busy working on various products, including Robotech® RPG Tactics™, that Adepticon was not even on our radar. My apologies for that. I wish the guys at Ninja Division had reminded us about this important convention, and we would have been there. But I’m sure they have a lot on their plate.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/830037

Shots fired. Really glad I didn't back this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"I wish they'd reminded us of how incomptent we are, so we wouldn't have had to remind you here."

I have a friend who backed for the minis, I dare not ask how much money was involved. All I know is that when someone claimed that Palladium would only be involved tangentially, I laughed so bitterly vinegar ran down my cheeks.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 3, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Kevin's update on the Palladium Books site earlier this week was amazingly passive-aggressive. Context: Soda Pop recently had the Kickstarter for Super Dungeon Explore, and Cipher Studios has been working on Anima Tactics and Hell Dorado. Go!

Kevin Siembieda posted:

We’ll have a color printout of the Robotech® RPG Tactics™ rule book and many of the prototypes will be on display at Penguicon, so if you are attending that convention, stop by our table in the dealers’ room to check ‘em out. Jeff Burke will also be running demos off and on at the convention.

We’re told things are moving forward with sprue layout on the manufacturing front. A couple of photos were emailed to us for two of the Zentraedi pieces whose molds are done tooling, and we expect to get the physical sprues next week. But we’re still waiting for others. In fact, we’ve been waiting weeks now – since the GAMA Trade Show – to get the prototypes and final sprue layout for the iconic and pivotal Valkyries. Apparently, there were delays and problems getting the molds broken down into sprues and done right.

As you know, Palladium is completely new to the wargame business. That’s why we joined forces with the talented gents at Ninja Division – the combined talents of Soda Pop Miniatures and Cipher Studios. Palladium is trusting their knowledge and expertise in all aspects of sculpting, mold making, sprue breakdowns and manufacturing. Like you, we assume they are doing everything in their power to make this the best product possible and to get Robotech® RPG Tactics™ to market as quickly as possible. You know the Ninja Division/Soda Pop/Cipher Studios reputation for quality, so you KNOW what you can expect from them with regard to Robotech® RPG Tactics™. In fact, both Palladium Books and Ninja Division (Soda Pop/Cipher Studios) are known for their quality products. And our goal from the start has been to make Robotech® RPG Tactics™ a fun, quality game that wargamers and Robotech® fans will go wild over.

We have put our hearts and souls into this product line. Palladium Books has NEVER put Robotech® RPG Tactics™ aside to work on something else. In fact, while we’ve been waiting for molds, sprues and manufacturing to be finalized, we have been fine-tuning and adding to the things we have some direct control over, such as the creation of a comprehensive color guide, reworking the decal sheet to include as many vital images as possible, and other aspects of the product. As soon as the last prototypes and sprue breakdowns are hammered out, we are off to the races with Wave One. Can’t be soon enough, for us.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Kevin's update on the Palladium Books site earlier this week was amazingly passive-aggressive. Context: Soda Pop recently had the Kickstarter for Super Dungeon Explore, and Cipher Studios has been working on Anima Tactics and Hell Dorado. Go!

Crisis of Treachery 2.0

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kevin Siembieda posted:

In fact, both Palladium Books and Ninja Division (Soda Pop/Cipher Studios) are known for their quality products.

I almost did a spit take reading this line. Soda Pop Miniatures have some very nicely done minis. Palladium is known for Glitterboys and a game system where, as written, there was no way to resolve skill checks. Palladium products have a quality, not a quality product.

In unrelated news, Dragons Hoard showed up. It's high quality and playing as a two-player game, it's quite fun.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Apparently it set off the people who crowdfunded the latest Rifts RPG books that are 2 or 3 years late, as they wondered "Why the gently caress then did you set aside the books we already paid for to work on this?"

Clusterfuck of a project, Ninja Division won't even talk about it in public anymore it's been that bad. Production is supposed to start in 2 weeks if they have any hope of pissing off the backers any further by selling the first production boxes at GenCon as they planned, and over half of the moulds still haven't had their cirst cut, let alone been inspected and critiqued for adjustments.

Meantime Mantic's Deadzone, which ran at the same time ending a week or so later, with a similar amount of received, similar unlocked stretch goals and many more different sculpts to do including terrain, has delivered wave 1, will deliver the final wave 2, and even better will deliver the next KS in Mars Attacks! and may even get the KS after that in Dreadball Xtreme to backers before Robotech goes out.

I mean gently caress, even Reaper will have about a million Bones II minis in backers daunting "to be painted" piles before Palladium gets the second wave of Robotech out.

How does a company this poo poo, run by a guy this terrible still turn over enough money to exist? It's because of Robotech backers like me isn't it? :ohdear:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, "known for quality products" by the only people Kev listens to: the lifetime die-hard fans who are pretty much the only ones who buy his stuff anymore anyway.

I also like how he's treating a company's ability to do more than one thing at a time as a bad thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Randalor posted:

I almost did a spit take reading this line. Soda Pop Miniatures have some very nicely done minis. Palladium is known for Glitterboys and a game system where, as written, there was no way to resolve skill checks. Palladium products have a quality, not a quality product.

Well, Soda Pop Miniatures certainly has its own issues as a company, but they at least deliver and have good sculptors, yes.

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently it set off the people who crowdfunded the latest Rifts RPG books that are 2 or 3 years late, as they wondered "Why the gently caress then did you set aside the books we already paid for to work on this?"

Northern Gun 1 ran a year late, IIRC, and Northern Gun 2 is running two years late (supposedly it's off to the printers). There's no excuse for this other than the fact that Kevin Siembieda still tries to juggle both writing books and micromanaging his company, and never really understanding that he can't manage both. I suppose his writing is essentially a form of micromanagement anyway, however...

NTRabbit posted:

How does a company this poo poo, run by a guy this terrible still turn over enough money to exist?

A dedicated (if steadily shrinking) fan base and a willingness to do anything to keep the company running. Financially Palladium should have closed down many years ago, but Siembieda's found there are ways to squeeze blood from a stone, as long as he's the one doing the bleeding. The Kickstarter feels like a make-or-break thing depending on how much money it takes for them to complete fulfillments.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Only two days left on the Last Stand: Reinforcements kickstarter! Go give it a backing, this expansion lets you play XCOM: the RPG, and the base book is included in one of the pledge levels.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The new Last Stand book's already hit its goal, but they've said that funds above and beyond the goal will help to better pay the team putting it together, and if there was ever an industry in which that sentiment should be supported, it's this one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I was reading up on the Games and Gears paintbrushes and it looks like they were meh quality but people were able to send in their brushes and get replacements which ended up being pretty good. Is this true? Or do all games and gears brushes just not meet the standard?

The reason I ask is cause I really like the design of the ones in the current kickstarter having a thicker barrel and all the other stuff involved, and Dick Blick is constantly sold out of WN7's. Right now I paint with really lovely brushes, and I'd like some that are reasonably good quality.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

I was reading up on the Games and Gears paintbrushes and it looks like they were meh quality but people were able to send in their brushes and get replacements which ended up being pretty good. Is this true? Or do all games and gears brushes just not meet the standard?

The reason I ask is cause I really like the design of the ones in the current kickstarter having a thicker barrel and all the other stuff involved, and Dick Blick is constantly sold out of WN7's. Right now I paint with really lovely brushes, and I'd like some that are reasonably good quality.

I have the Pro Studio set from the first kickstarter and they're fine. They aren't as good as the WN7's I have but they were substantially cheaper and I like having the whole range of sizes.

Germ
May 7, 2013

A prototype of The March of the Ants ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants ) was brought to my FLGS boardgame last night, but I had to bail before playing it. The components looked marvelous, and I hope to be able to hunt down a game with it before the Kickstarter ends. Fantastic art, great theme.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/the-miasma-war-endless-fantasy-tactics

Miasma wars! Endless Fantasy is fun, very "final fantasy tactics". I haven't played too much of it, though.

On the Lamb also makes a game where you can load berserk Germanic gerbils in a catapult and launch them at British Cats.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Germ posted:

A prototype of The March of the Ants ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants ) was brought to my FLGS boardgame last night, but I had to bail before playing it. The components looked marvelous, and I hope to be able to hunt down a game with it before the Kickstarter ends. Fantastic art, great theme.

I have that game bookmarked it's in my comfort zone at only $35 a copy. Hopefully you can post a review before the KS closes.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 4, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LordAba posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/the-miasma-war-endless-fantasy-tactics

Miasma wars! Endless Fantasy is fun, very "final fantasy tactics". I haven't played too much of it, though.

On the Lamb also makes a game where you can load berserk Germanic gerbils in a catapult and launch them at British Cats.

Any good reviews of Endless Fantasy out there anywhere? I'm intrigued.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

Any good reviews of Endless Fantasy out there anywhere? I'm intrigued.

Not really any reviews that I've been able to find. A decent number of "how to play" guides. The quickstart rules are free.

On the Lamb games is super small, even though they have been going to cons for a while now. They have their own section on Dakkadakka, though you generally want to stay away from those boards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Among the Stars is ending in 18 hours. It's a whopping $110 for everything (shipped to the US). Stronghold Games is bringing it stateside, so you may get a better price for it later down the line if you're willing to wait, but the question is how long you're willing to wait...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
March of the Ants is an empire building game, but with ants! You explore new locations (hexes), expand your territory, and evolve your species in an effort to become the most successful Ant Colony in the meadow.

This game really grabbed me. I'm getting a similar feeling as to what I got when I first saw Lagoon. Of course that doesn't mean anything, but hey, good enough for me. It looks cool.

Also the first SG will introduce another social animal as a mini-expansion; backers will vote between spiders, bees, and beetles.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mehuyael posted:

March of the Ants is an empire building game, but with ants! You explore new locations (hexes), expand your territory, and evolve your species in an effort to become the most successful Ant Colony in the meadow.

This game really grabbed me. I'm getting a similar feeling as to what I got when I first saw Lagoon. Of course that doesn't mean anything, but hey, good enough for me. It looks cool.

Also the first SG will introduce another social animal as a mini-expansion; backers will vote between spiders, bees, and beetles.

This is right up my alley and 35 bucks is very reasonable 'get the game and stretch goals' for it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The Storium kickstarter is almost done and I'm considering getting in. Has anyone pledged and has access to the beta, and could talk about how well it works?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Epic Fantasy Soundtracks: Tabletop Gaming Soundscapes has bit over day left.
Very good soundscape material for RPG:s & it has an option for getting her earlier Cyberpunk Soundscape as well.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Peas and Rice posted:

The Storium kickstarter is almost done and I'm considering getting in. Has anyone pledged and has access to the beta, and could talk about how well it works?

Yeah, we tried the beta to see how good it was. It was bad enough that multiple people unkickstarted it after the first "chapter" or whatever they call it. It's barebones, but in a way that forces you to use the card system that they didn't think through mechanically. I'd recommend against it, and just find a good forum to do PBP on.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It's a shame, because I actually really like Storium's frontend, I just... would much rather disconnect it from the cards.

Cuthain
Jul 7, 2003

I was browsing kickstarter and came across this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/353110609/simple-system-table-top-roleplaying-game-system

Supposedly it is a "rules simplified" genre-less role playing system. All decisions are handled by flipping a card from a resolution deck and comparing successes to failures. When I first began reading its pitch, I was at first inclined to dismiss it. But there does seem to be a pretty interesting system for handling skill level and task difficulty and I actually kind of like the way the rules are printed on setting cards. I'm looking for a roleplaying system that would be easy to pick up and convince new players to play. But I don't want something with so little rules that I may as well be playing pretend with my friends in the park (as opposed to playing pretend in the park with rules, which is a perfectly acceptable, adult thing to do). Anyone backed this project or have any thoughts?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Adept Nightingale posted:

It's a shame, because I actually really like Storium's frontend, I just... would much rather disconnect it from the cards.

The idea seemed really neat, but my first thought was "that card system seems kind of bolted-on and unnecessary." Thanks for the info. I'll just still with Hillfolk or Fiasco or something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cuthain posted:

I was browsing kickstarter and came across this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/353110609/simple-system-table-top-roleplaying-game-system

Supposedly it is a "rules simplified" genre-less role playing system. All decisions are handled by flipping a card from a resolution deck and comparing successes to failures. When I first began reading its pitch, I was at first inclined to dismiss it. But there does seem to be a pretty interesting system for handling skill level and task difficulty and I actually kind of like the way the rules are printed on setting cards. I'm looking for a roleplaying system that would be easy to pick up and convince new players to play. But I don't want something with so little rules that I may as well be playing pretend with my friends in the park (as opposed to playing pretend in the park with rules, which is a perfectly acceptable, adult thing to do). Anyone backed this project or have any thoughts?

I think the gist of Goon thought when it surfaced last was that it looked like some generic and boring edutainment game that your parents would buy from a catalog to trick you into learning on summer break.

e: I also like the animated gif "demonstrating" flipping a card over and multiple diagrams of the same. Like that's a completely foreign concept to grasp without animation.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 5, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
To all of you who've pledged for miniatures Kickstarters and need an excuse to get them painted:

:siren: Oath Season 5 is go! :siren:

Come hang out, chill with other painting goons, and maybe win some prizes!

Last season just finished up, and we had folks who painted everything from Bones to Mantic figures to Sodapop and Zombicide figures. I'd love to see more representation from the small press and board games side of things, too!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm in the process of putting together a game with it. If nothing else, my pledge will be of value to me by giving me all these nifty-looking settings to mine for other RPGs.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

adhuin posted:

Epic Fantasy Soundtracks: Tabletop Gaming Soundscapes has bit over day left.
Very good soundscape material for RPG:s & it has an option for getting her earlier Cyberpunk Soundscape as well.

Is there really no way to get her stuff outside of KS? I'm interested, especially in the Cyberpunk stuff, but don't have $90 to burn right now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Asymmetrikon posted:

Yeah, we tried the beta to see how good it was. It was bad enough that multiple people unkickstarted it after the first "chapter" or whatever they call it. It's barebones, but in a way that forces you to use the card system that they didn't think through mechanically. I'd recommend against it, and just find a good forum to do PBP on.

Is there any actual difference between Storium and a PBP forum besides the card system?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CaptCommy posted:

Is there really no way to get her stuff outside of KS? I'm interested, especially in the Cyberpunk stuff, but don't have $90 to burn right now.

Here:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/127655/Cyberpunk-Soundtracks
It's bit more expensive, ($65) but there's no timelimit.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Ettin posted:

Is there any actual difference between Storium and a PBP forum besides the card system?

The provided settings are the big thing, and the primary thing they've been pushing throughout the Kickstarter. It's all through the cards, of course, but you can see where people could get pretty in-depth creating ready made hooks/NPCs/setting stuff. Primitive card system inside, the whole system is basically a PBP forum with a ton of adventure modules pre-installed.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I pledged to her Cyberpunk Soundtrack kickstarter and the end product was really good. I highly recommend it even at $65 you're getting a ton of high-quality material to use.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Adept Nightingale posted:

The provided settings are the big thing, and the primary thing they've been pushing throughout the Kickstarter. It's all through the cards, of course, but you can see where people could get pretty in-depth creating ready made hooks/NPCs/setting stuff. Primitive card system inside, the whole system is basically a PBP forum with a ton of adventure modules pre-installed.

I might have been interested if those unlocked settings had at least a few thousands words of fluff, but I asked them about it and they said they ''didn't really know what the word count will be'' which sounds like BS.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Just to make sure its known, I actually REALLY love the card system in Storium.

I think it takes getting used to, but its the perfect system for how my friends and I want to tell collaborative stories. It gives just enough constraint to make you think things through, but it keeps everything I love about Play-by-Post games. I honestly don't see myself doing a PbP RPG on a regular forum now that Storium exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Agents finally reached its first stretch goal at 100k. This unlocks a mini-expansion which adds Maverick agents. More info will be given with the next project update about what they are. As I understand it now every 20k will add another Maverick agent.

I don't know if there'll be other types of SGs, but something I read in one of the creator's comments was that almost all the game-enhancing SGs from the last Kickstarter will be included with the new one.

e: They just put up the Maverick update. Looks like real metagamey stuff. Can't wait to feel ready to introduce it to my game group.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread