Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Someone put together an album with all (or most/a lot) of NPC faces in the game. Neat stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/1vznV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I got so annoyed when I first entered the bell tower that I joined the Bell Bros. I suck at PVP, but I am going to suck it up until I get some titanite chunks.

Does anyone even try to go through this area in online mode? It's insane.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

Gonna ask again, anyone know what the best bow might be? I'm running around with a Bow of Want currently, is it worth maxing out though? Really enjoying using bows this time around.

Hunter's Blackbow is slightly stronger than the Sea Bow and a bit faster firing. Bow of Want is really only good if you love shooting lightning arrows.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 6, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Studio posted:

How is the dual dagger power stance? I keep wanting to try it but forget to pick up the second dagger.

I think each hit of the dagger powerstance hits individually with each weapon, so dual poison daggers with a switch out set of (whatever) ones would be pretty great in PvP. Two attacks would probably poison someone not wearing all poison resist gear at that point.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Someone put together an album with all (or most/a lot) of NPC faces in the game. Neat stuff.

I never noticed the Giant Lord wearing a tiny crown :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mariposa posted:

I got so annoyed when I first entered the bell tower that I joined the Bell Bros. I suck at PVP, but I am going to suck it up until I get some titanite chunks.

Yep.

Something to bear in mind: many bellbros aren't too pro at PvP (including yours truly :haw:) and you as the host have one advantage -- healing. It's going to be 2v1 most of the time regardless, and even if your opponents aren't technically skilled they may have lots of ways to dick you over, which is often the point. But, you can win. Patience will seriously pay off.

The other things to note are this: Both Belfries are completely optional. Sol far more so than Luna, as Luna at least has some stuff that's useful for the rest of the dungeon plus its very own boss fight. If you die to an invader, you do get a slight 'grace period' the same as if you'd died to a black phantom. For Luna purposes, it's more than enough time to blow past the little guys, ring the bell, pass through the fog, and party down with the gargoyles.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Mariposa posted:

Honestly, going through the belltower isn't overly tricky. As long as you move quickly and purposefully through the level you shouldn't be invaded more than twice and if you can avoid being ganged up on then you have the upper hand since you can heal and the bellbros cannot.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

Hunter's Blackbow is slightly stronger than the Sea Bow and a bit faster firing. Bow of Want is really only good if you love shooting lightning arrows.

Should I infuse Hunter's Blackbow with anything? If so, what's the most optimal choice? Lightning/Fire?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I never noticed the Giant Lord wearing a tiny crown :allears:

It's the "crystal golems have the person in their back crystal" of DS2

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Foxhound posted:

Oh wow. So that really is where Lucatiel's darksign is. :stare:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Welp, I got my two Dragon Teeth upgraded to +5, so now I can start the real Dark Souls II as DRAGGIN' TOOF:

1660+ damage from the L2.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Mazed posted:

Yep.

Something to bear in mind: many bellbros aren't too pro at PvP (including yours truly :haw:) and you as the host have one advantage -- healing. It's going to be 2v1 most of the time regardless, and even if your opponents aren't technically skilled they may have lots of ways to dick you over, which is often the point. But, you can win. Patience will seriously pay off.

I've gotten 5 chunks so far; I'm built really for PvE, but I do have 4 casts of soul spear and a +7 Witchtree Branch, so it does major damage -- 2-shot, mostly. It's going okay. I think I'm maybe 5:8 or 5:10.

Edit: Make that a +10 Witchtree Branch, which was the whole point of this exercise. I don't really like hexes, it turns out; should I use a magic stone on this?

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 6, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Can you still dump items when summoned? Because man, some builds could be really good if it didn't take more than half the game to get the items.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

Welp. Powerstance Blue Flames are really disappointing.

What's wrong with them? I'm currently building my character towards doing this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Miijhal posted:

Welp, I got my two Dragon Teeth upgraded to +5, so now I can start the real Dark Souls II as DRAGGIN' TOOF:

1660+ damage from the L2.

Do you get the resistances from both as well when you dual wield them?

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Can you still dump items when summoned? Because man, some builds could be really good if it didn't take more than half the game to get the items.

Ye, I dropped the entire Drake Keeper set for a couple of folks in Sol after having a ton of duplicates from farming the Drake Keeper Warpick.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Fashion Souls

offhand weapon is the blacksmiths hammer if you couldnt tell by the angle

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

What's wrong with them? I'm currently building my character towards doing this.

It's the boring straight sword moveset. Hitting them both with CMW is pretty strong but it's not like you get to cast 2 spells at a time or anything cool like that. Probably better off mainhanding one and finding something with better magic damage for the offhand. You can use a staff to buff your Blue Flame then switch to whatever you want your Blue Flame to buff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are there any good melee weapons early on that I can use playing as a high int character/mage that scale off int?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Fashion Souls! This is my sunbro:

Redeye ring + greatshield (swapping between tower shield and rebel shield depending) is absolutely fantastic for helping people out. You can just walk up and tank everything while the host does whatever damage his piece of poo poo build can do. Earlier I did this on the LGK and the host took his sweet rear end time dealing about 30 damage per hit with what must have been an unupgraded rapier. :allears:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jose posted:

Are there any good melee weapons early on that I can use playing as a high int character/mage that scale off int?

Nothing scales off int very strongly. Your easiest bet is grabbing the magic mace from Huntsman's Copse and hitting it with magic weapon.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, I just got chameleon. I can wait behind the dwarves upstairs in Bel Luna, and then soul spear after the host is engaged with them. This is very successful, and hilarious.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 6, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dis astranagant posted:

Nothing scales off int very strongly. Your easiest bet is grabbing the magic mace from Huntsman's Copse and hitting it with magic weapon.

I think that mace is already infused with Magic, hence the name "Magic Mace", so you cannot infuse it again. Nvm, misread.

The only Int scaling melee weapons I can think of are the Moonlight Greatsword and the Blue Flame, neither of which you can get especially early. Unless you don't mind using an ascetic.

dis astranagant posted:

Blue Flame doesn't scale any better than the million other straight swords with B scaling once magic infused. The real problem is that faintstone is a bitch to get til the area with Blue Flame. And so are decent magic based staves. Carry one because you can't have 2 CMW'd weapons any other way and use a magic infused varangian sword, broadsword or maybe even your favorite greatsword or curved sword.

Fair point. I used a magic infused Rapier, which seemed to work well through most of the game. A friend of mine recommended trying the Richard's Rapier, but that one requires quite heavy stat investement.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 6, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blue Flame doesn't scale any better than the million other straight swords with B scaling once magic infused. The real problem is that faintstone is a bitch to get til the area with Blue Flame. And so are decent magic based staves. Carry one because you can't have 2 CMW'd weapons any other way and use a magic infused varangian sword, broadsword or maybe even your favorite greatsword or curved sword.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 6, 2014

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
How do you get that glowing red eyes look?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Skilleddk posted:

How do you get that glowing red eyes look?

Red-eye ring, the ring that draws aggro. Buy it from Shalquoir.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I replaced my Mace with the Barbed Club during my first play through, but I didn't realize until yesterday how weird infusion is with it. For some reason, un-infused with 40 STR/DEX/FTH it was 250+101 damage, but if you add magic/fire/lightning/dark its base physical damage goes up to 306+67, the bleed gets stronger, and of course the elemental damage is added on top. Its total damage ends up higher than a lot of much heavier weapons. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but it makes me wonder if there are other weapons that secretly have weird scaling like that as well?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Mariposa posted:

Okay, I just got chameleon. I can wait behind the dwarves upstairs in Bel Luna, and then soul spear after the host is engaged with them. This is very successful, and hilarious.

I love Chameleon. That's how I greet the dragbros (dragonbros), but not with a surprise attack. I let them do their greetings and weapon rubs/enchants while I spin around. Then spells, spells everywhere. Everyone has fun. PvP tip, try not to run away from mages unless you're also a spellcaster or when necessary (Chaos Storm). Two spellcasters result in a a hadoken dodge battle between two mage Ryus.

As a mage, I've been killed much more by the brave, in short, try relentless attack.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

DS2 is my first game in the series, and I'm playing it for the first time. The game is incredibly vague in regards to what you're supposed to be doing, but aside from not knowing the Pursuer was an optional boss and dying to it a ridiculous amount of times, I've been doing pretty well. I'm at No-Man's Wharf currently.

That said, I hear lots of people talk about builds, stats, soul memory and overlevelling and I keep getting the feeling that I'm setting myself up for failure in the long run since I practically have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to leveling up. I put most points into ADP because I dodge a lot and am still < 100 AGI, and I've been putting most of the rest in dexterity because the rapier is kinda fun. I have no idea whether I'm overlevelled for where I currently am in the game. I've been looking into builds but I am completely unable to tell whether a build is good or not because I don't know enough about it.

Are these valid concerns at all for the first playthrough? If I'm overlevelled or my soul memory is too high, should I start a new character at the end of the game or should I play NG+?

I'm really enjoying roaming around and fighting things, but worrying about all this meta game stuff is really affecting how much fun I'm having.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
No, if it's your first character in your first game of the series just truck along and have fun. Make a new character when you've finished the game or stop having fun with your current one. There will always be other people around your Soul Memory level for you to summon if you want, and PvP is a non-issue until NG+.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wallet posted:

I replaced my Mace with the Barbed Club during my first play through, but I didn't realize until yesterday how weird infusion is with it. For some reason, un-infused with 40 STR/DEX/FTH it was 250+101 damage, but if you add magic/fire/lightning/dark its base physical damage goes up to 306+67, the bleed gets stronger, and of course the elemental damage is added on top. Its total damage ends up higher than a lot of much heavier weapons. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but it makes me wonder if there are other weapons that secretly have weird scaling like that as well?

Several boss weapons do dumb poo poo like that when you infuse them.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Foxhound posted:

was hoping for their heads without a helmet :(

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Eruonen posted:

I'm really enjoying roaming around and fighting things, but worrying about all this meta game stuff is really affecting how much fun I'm having.

I say explore, have fun, and experiment. Fall back on this thread or the wiki for advice when you truly need it. I never really had a problem with being overleveled, except for when I wanted to co-op with hosts as an Heirs of the Sun covenant member (I had 3 million soul memory at the end of new game and could only co-op the last boss). You want that additional power to tackle optional bosses that are too tough for you at first.

And the soul vessel item allows you to respec your character should you need a drastic change. I'd only really worry if you lost hundreds of thousands of souls (or millions) due to how you'll be matched with players that will have a much higher level over you. For example, if you lost 900,000 souls without getting them back from a bloodstain while having 1 million soul memory (total souls gained). You'd run the risk of being matched with players that might have lost only 30,000 souls, so you can see the disadvantage there in terms of additional levels and upgraded gear.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Eruonen posted:

DS2 is my first game in the series, and I'm playing it for the first time. The game is incredibly vague in regards to what you're supposed to be doing, but aside from not knowing the Pursuer was an optional boss and dying to it a ridiculous amount of times, I've been doing pretty well. I'm at No-Man's Wharf currently.

That said, I hear lots of people talk about builds, stats, soul memory and overlevelling and I keep getting the feeling that I'm setting myself up for failure in the long run since I practically have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to leveling up. I put most points into ADP because I dodge a lot and am still < 100 AGI, and I've been putting most of the rest in dexterity because the rapier is kinda fun. I have no idea whether I'm overlevelled for where I currently am in the game. I've been looking into builds but I am completely unable to tell whether a build is good or not because I don't know enough about it.

Are these valid concerns at all for the first playthrough? If I'm overlevelled or my soul memory is too high, should I start a new character at the end of the game or should I play NG+?

Just play the game and have fun. DS2 honestly doesn't seem to care very much at all about what level you are, just raise your stats when you feel like you should and keep going.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

After spending most of NG convinced I was just biding my time until I got the Faraam Set, I ended up going with King's + King's Shield, Gyrm Great Hammer, and Drakekeeper helm. It looks really appropriate in certain cinematics.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Some news on the lore front: EpicNameBro asked FROM about The Emerald Herald's name being listed twice in the credits and it turns out that the fourth firekeeper in the opening is an older Shanalotte.

I wonder if that means that the DaS 1 narrator was her as well. That'd be kinda neat.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Foxhound posted:

Titchy Gren doesn't have a face. :stare:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Several boss weapons do dumb poo poo like that when you infuse them.

Which ones? I checked all of the ones I happened to have on hand and the rest of them all scaled normally.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Foxhound posted:

Saulden looks :downs: and :smith: as hell.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Look out, it's Spiderman!

I can't find the Undead Purgatory; I just realized that I haven't done it, and I thought it was in the cave across the bridge on the way from the third bonfire in Huntsman's Copse to the boss, but no dice. I've cleared out the whole area between the 2nd and 3rd bonfires, unless I missed something. Where is it?

Edit: Oh my god, I missed a bridge. I've never noticed that, and I've been through here about 10 times.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Turn right after the first bridge from the bridge lookout bonfire and cross that bridge then follow the path around and across the wooden bridge.