Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I see these big amazing videos (Robbaz and Scott Manley, mostly) that make amazing use of Infernal Robotics, and I get all pumped up and ready to make something awesome. So, I sit down, load up KSP, and proceed to fumble about for 20 minutes to end up with a four-legged thing. I have creativity issues after 300 hours playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

I see these big amazing videos (Robbaz and Scott Manley, mostly) that make amazing use of Infernal Robotics, and I get all pumped up and ready to make something awesome. So, I sit down, load up KSP, and proceed to fumble about for 20 minutes to end up with a four-legged thing. I have creativity issues after 300 hours playing the game.

I still have to have another crack at Infernal Robotics. I tried to use it in 0.35 but it just crashed KSP during startup. Back when it was Damned Robotics I built things like a crane vehicle with articulated arm joints and claw for recovering crashed spaceplanes, oh and a giant mech of sorts with jointed arms and legs. It could also fly... but not very well.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

Ugh. SSTOs are hard. Finally got one off the ground, but it starts nose-up flipping at 15km up right when I try to level out to build up speed.

Handles pretty good under 6km though.

If anyone has suggestions (besides "You are terrible at rockets spaceplanes") I'd appreciate it

Same deal as the eagle--open the flying chinchilla pic in notepad, everything from "ship =" onwards is the craft file. My goal is to get an orange tank's worth of gas into orbit to refuel a platform, hence the size of the thing.

I think imgur re-compresses the image, destroying the hidden text file. All I see is moon runes.

I used the forum's image attachment option (may require platinum).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I seem to have developed a new problem with MechJeb's ascent guidance: It's backwards. I'm definitely controlling from the right part, but when I turn on the navball help dealie, it shows the antitarget symbol instead of target, and does everything in its power to flip the craft rear end-first. This has been happening for a couple versions now, and I've tried everything up to and including a full and total reinstall of KSP, with new saves and everything. I just want to ride my Apollo knockoff in IVA with KerbQuake without having to focus on steering. :saddowns:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there any way to place a marker on the surface of a planet? I'm finding it very difficult to keep myself properly oriented when flying to different locations on the surface of a planet, or when trying to keep track of where I actually want my landing site to be. Assuming there's nothing like that built-in, are there any mods that add something like this? I don't need anything complicated, I'm just looking for something that places a target marker on the navball, really.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where are you putting the module? Are you putting it antenna upward?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I actually use a modulemanager script that I wrote to automatically add it to all probe cores and command pods, and the command pod is definitely the right way and set as the "control from here" part.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, something is wrong with that, then. I've never had a problem with orientation using the discrete module (except when I forgot to switch the ship from being controlled by a docking port or something).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I think imgur re-compresses the image, destroying the hidden text file. All I see is moon runes.

Well, crap. Been meaning to get Pt anyway.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Another one of my friend's design.

He was out to break the jet speed record, and got sick of minimalist design(sorry, Abyssal Lurker). What he ended up with was a turbojet capable of orbit. This top-secret craft has a thermometer, a gravioli detector, a barometer, an accelerometer, and two Goo canisters. Less elegant, more starfighter: Wyvern IIIp Jet Orbiter

It has a docking port and RCS thrusters, but I removed the pods RCS reserves to prove its capabilities:

Careful engine management can get you on this trajectory:

And then ultimately here:

The decouplers are for aesthetic wingtips. It does not eject them or other parts to attain orbit.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I've been having fun with Infernal robotics too.

Large rocket, mystery payload.

Whatever it's carrying, it's in a hurry!

...Space station Photovoltaic array truss?

Wait no, it's firing up again.

...Oh, okay?

In it comes to land.

Well, that worked much better than I thought it would. It's the first part of a modular Munbase that I'll be building with an experimental builder bot.

Oh, and has anyone got a mod with an extendable docking collar for space shuttles and such?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

So I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there any way to place a marker on the surface of a planet? I'm finding it very difficult to keep myself properly oriented when flying to different locations on the surface of a planet, or when trying to keep track of where I actually want my landing site to be. Assuming there's nothing like that built-in, are there any mods that add something like this? I don't need anything complicated, I'm just looking for something that places a target marker on the navball, really.

Mechjeb's landing guidance has an option that says 'land at target site' and then it lets you pick a spot on the planet from map mode. It puts a marker with coordinates on that spot in map mode and I think it puts it on the navball, too. Just don't turn the autopilot on if you just want to use the marker.

It's useful.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OAquinas posted:

Well, crap. Been meaning to get Pt anyway.

You can also use http://pomf.se/, if you're not afraid of how weeaboo it is. Seems to host whatever without touching it. Hard to find hosts like that these days, Omp went down too.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Maxmaps posted:

Throw it at us. We're always up for tackling new bugs and appreciate reports that aren't 'Well, I have these 20 mods installed but I'm pretty sure it would also happen if they weren't installed.'

I throw all of mine at you, and try to explain what I was doing and list the mods I was running (usually none, I'm too lazy to install and update them). It's less useful than a bug report with proper reproducability, but I figure if nothing else it might help notice a pattern.

OwlFancier posted:

I just map wheel controls to the arrow keys. You can drive using purely wheels, or a mix of wheels for movement and reaction wheels for turning, which can help keep the vehicle from rolling.

I leave them mapped default, but I switch into docking mode to drive rovers. And pretty much only to drive rovers, I learned the art of managing qweasd and ijklhn together before it was added, and it feels rewarding to play a spacecraft like a piano. That way I can toggle ASAS off and on depending if I need the stability assist or not, but don't have to worry about wasd rolling me.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Why aren't you guys just chucking that poo poo on pastebin) or one of its many workalikes? .craft files are just text. If not for being huge and spammy you could embed them straight into a post if you wanted.

edit: Is there an extension for markdown-to-bbcode yet?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There is no worse feeling than separating your science modules from your return pod after forgetting to EVA to collect the science. And your last quicksave was before you even landed on the planet :negative:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Keiya posted:

Why aren't you guys just chucking that poo poo on pastebin) or one of its many workalikes? .craft files are just text. If not for being huge and spammy you could embed them straight into a post if you wanted.

edit: Is there an extension for markdown-to-bbcode yet?

Y'know, I remembered pastebin on the way home today. Welp.

http://pastebin.com/28hAdcK8

Craft files can get pretty big for just being text, though. Plus I liked the idea of the flying chinchilla carrying the code. :colbert:

Away all Goats posted:

There is no worse feeling than separating your science modules from your return pod after forgetting to EVA to collect the science. And your last quicksave was before you even landed on the planet :negative:

Good news! It's still there...now you just need to launch to intercept the science module. Well, unless you ditched it on a re-entry course, anyway.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 6, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anyone KSPing in Linux? I thought I'd give it a shot, and my frame rate is rather poor. I'm using the nvidia binary drivers, and I have SLI enabled, and there's noticeable frames at all times. I'm locked 60fps (except huge rockets, obviously) in Windows with SLI 670s. Same hardware in Linux seems to be giving me ~20-40fps at most time. Is this expected behavior?

I'm a professional linux sysadmin, but 95% of what I do at this point is on servers and I haven't tried a desktop linux in like 6 years so I'm a bit out of the loop on linux gaming.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

LAYTHE OR BUST

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OAquinas posted:

Good news! It's still there...now you just need to launch to intercept the science module. Well, unless you ditched it on a re-entry course, anyway.

That's exactly what I did :doh:

Maybe I should put one of those small remote control modules on my science section to prevent this in the future, since I still had fuel in that stage. Or I could just be less forgetful.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 6, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Another one of my friend's design.

He was out to break the jet speed record, and got sick of minimalist design(sorry, Abyssal Lurker). What he ended up with was a turbojet capable of orbit. This top-secret craft has a thermometer, a gravioli detector, a barometer, an accelerometer, and two Goo canisters. Less elegant, more starfighter: Wyvern IIIp Jet Orbiter

It has a docking port and RCS thrusters, but I removed the pods RCS reserves to prove its capabilities:

Careful engine management can get you on this trajectory:

And then ultimately here:

The decouplers are for aesthetic wingtips. It does not eject them or other parts to attain orbit.

How does it do this? Is it some weird reaction wheel physics abuse? Can it deorbit?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

MeramJert posted:

How does it do this? Is it some weird reaction wheel physics abuse? Can it deorbit?

Maybe the pilot got out and pushed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

If you close the intakes in an atmosphere they keep a small amount of air in them. It's really not much, but it can get you a brief burn outside the atmosphere.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
And with strange aeons, even Spaceport may die.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Next stop: KerbalNexus!

:suicide:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Still alive for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe he shouldn't floor it uphill in microgravity.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

Geirskogul posted:

It's ugly as-is, and I don't use it because of that. I mean, functionally it is good, but a stack of RCS canisters with RCS cylinders glued to the sides? Ugly and horrible to use as gently caress.

I took models from the Large Structural Station Components and added the station science configs to select parts. Fits the bill just fine:

eth0.n, I'm pretty much playing a "make space stations" simulator at this point, thanks for the mod! I wish there was more stuff to do or engineer for, though. The weight on the components is too easy to hoist up in 23.5. I added massive power requirements, which helps require building out stations with the characteristic solar panel sails.

Could you do something with the Kerbal "stupidity" trait like the Interstellar lab does? Requiring low stupidity scientists makes staffing a bit harder.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I had to rescue Jeb from a botched science mission on Duna so I made a ship that could detach from its engines, land, rendezvous in orbit, reattach itself, and bring him on home:

Not pictured: my terrible terrible docking attempts

Jeb's loot:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

Oh, Maxmaps! It's not the most immediate problem in the world, but could you ask about rewording the Addon Licensing bit of KSP forums community standards to make it clearer that "Any works derived from addons, plugins and similar works, if permitted, must attribute the original work and provide proof of rights to use the original work." is a requirement for posting, not an extra clause being added to the license of the addon that applies anywhere? Some of the licenses people use don't allow requirements to be added like that, and I'm sure at least one person is using outside GPLed code, which adding the 'proof of rights' would make disallowed.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ok so the WIP procedural parts mod is really fun to tinker with.

I wish there was a low profile engine that wasn't as wide as the poodle but close in power. Now I need to figure out how to snap something to the bottom of this thing.. or launch it upside down.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

OAquinas posted:

Putting anime boobs on spaceplanes since 2014

Spaceman Future! posted:

Ok so the WIP procedural parts mod is really fun to tinker with.

I wish there was a low profile engine that wasn't as wide as the poodle but close in power. Now I need to figure out how to snap something to the bottom of this thing.. or launch it upside down.
Where are you landing it? An LV-909 will do the job with that mass easily at Mun or Minmus. My lander with procedural parts has 4.09 TWR, 1603m/s Delta V and can run it's motor for 3 minutes 16 seconds, that's with an LV-909. The Ascent stage gives me 5.12 TWR, 993m/s Delta V and 1m 43s time.

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 6, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spaceman Future! posted:

I wish there was a low profile engine that wasn't as wide as the poodle but close in power.

The Poodle is a honeypot planted by the Krussians to sabotage your space program.

If one Rockmax 48‒7Ss isn’t enough, cluster them with cubic octagonal struts.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

OAquinas posted:

And you thought you were joking. (That's actually existed for a while, they set it up so users can add new games when they upload files apparently. Meh. As long as I can still grab the unofficial elder scrolls patches to make the games moderately less buggy, whatever.)

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I did it! I stranded a crew on Eve and have at last brought them home after 17 years. Sorry about the very long post but I wanted to tell my story as a warning to others.

I started playing a KSP a few weeks ago, and after planting flags on Minmus and the Mun (and rescuing a stranded crew from there), I decided to plant my next flag on another planet. Not knowing anything about them I chose the nearest: Eve. I landed somewhere at random:

When I tried to take off to go home I realised that my lander was woefully inadequate. No matter, I would build a bigger, better one. It would be lifted on my shiny new 1500 ton launcher:

The second lander was still nowhere near good enough. I was beginning to realise how difficult this would be. Reading up on Eve I realised that my landing spot had been a terrible choice: nearly at the north pole, and at sea level with no high ground nearby. I sent a fast rover to scout for higher ground, and then a replacement rover when the first turned out to explode at random in Eve's high gravity:

Next I would need the most powerful launcher I had. My first plan was to fly my Kerbin launcher with no payload and without dropping any tanks, refuel it in orbit and push it to Eve. This required many, many refuelling trips:

However, after docking an interplanetary stage it became apparent that there were way too many parts for my PC to handle, and this was impractical. So I invented a new, 'practical' plan:

1. Design a new heavy launcher with far fewer parts but more delta-v.
2. Refuel in Kerbin orbit, fly it to Eve under its own power, and land.
3. Refuel it again on the ground, and escape.

Steps 1 and 2 were easy enough. I used the bare minimum of parts, not even providing a ladder (that would be sent separately on a rover chassis). My first attempt with landing legs stood at a sickening angle under Eve's gravity:

And yes, 900m was the highest peak I could find in the region. I quickly sent another version which landed on its rocket nozzles instead. About 10 years had elapsed in game at this point. Next I needed some ground-based refuelling tankers, so I made this:

And sent a whole fleet of them simultaneously:

They were very heavy and difficult to drive:

After much pumping, all I needed was the ladder! This was the most ludicrous vehicle of all:

Driving it on Eve was extremely difficult. It could only go uphill in reverse, and downhill forwards or it would tip over:

Jeb and Bill watch as Bob begins the climb:

It works, and Jeb is last to board:

Only MechJeb will be able to fly this thing accurately enough while dropping tanks fast enough, but even so I'm kept busy managing some dodgy decouplers. Liftoff from this altitude on Eve is agonisingly slow:

After an age we lose the last external tanks. This isn't so far above where a sensible person would have started from in the first place:

Now we can really get going:

I'm still not sure whether they'll actually make it to orbit. But it has been 16 years and my crew and I are really sick of seeing purple! The last stage is still suborbital when it runs out of fuel, so the crew must disembark and use their EVA suits to circularise, one at a time:

We did it! The original return stage has been faithfully waiting in Eve orbit all this time, so it picks them up one at a time and brings them home to a welcoming parade:

It was kind of fun, but I don't think I'll ever be going back to Eve.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Rottbott posted:

It was kind of fun, but I don't think I'll ever be going back to Eve.

This is why I haven't done a crewed mission to eve. I might now the wider parts are in, but it just seems tedious.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wow, I can't believe you managed to do all that on your first manned interplanetary mission.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eve is the boss of KSP.

That’s the Jebbest mission I’ve ever seen. The ladder rover truly takes the cake.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hell yeah Rottbott, that was KSP as gently caress :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Eve is the boss of KSP.

That’s the Jebbest mission I’ve ever seen. The ladder rover truly takes the cake.

I like the plan to land a 1500-ton-capable lifter on Eve itself, even if that plan never came to fruition. I'm amazed that he didn't try it anyway, after what must have been loving hours refuelling the stupid thing.

• Locked thread