Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Unnamed One posted:

Also Clint was one of the biggest stars of that era, and a lot of his movies are on the list ("Dirty Harry", "Magnum Force", "High Plains Drifter").

Yeah that's really the only explanation. I just checked out the trailer - man, were trailers lovely in the 70s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFr91atHqE

It totally reeks of desperation, they were obviously banking this movie on Eastwood alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah that's really the only explanation. I just checked out the trailer - man, were trailers lovely in the 70s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFr91atHqE

It totally reeks of desperation, they were obviously banking this movie on Eastwood alone.

That motorcycle gang guy really does look like Brandon Gleeson.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

Also, sometimes, some days, you just want to watch an ape drink a beer.

I'm more worried there are days when you don't want this apparently.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Unnamed One posted:

I can see the appeal when you say it like that.

Also, dude, there's plenty of weird poo poo in this list.

"Behind the Green Door" and "Pink Flamingos"? loving "Faces of Death"? Clint Eastwood and Clyde the Orangutan vs. the World seems downright pedestrian.

Also Clint was one of the biggest stars of that era, and a lot of his movies are on the list ("Dirty Harry", "Magnum Force", "High Plains Drifter").

Yeah, when you get out of the top few things get really ugly. Right there in 1970, Myra Beckenridge. On the other hand, the fact that they report only about 3 million in returns for that pile of poo poo while claiming it is the 17th best grossing film of 1970 tells me that their data is severely incomplete.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That was way worse than I expected.

Some of those really minimalistic 70s trailers are pretty good, I remember Enter The Dragon's being awesome.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
At times the 70's were so loving "folksy" it was disgusting.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

At times the 70's were so loving "folksy" it was disgusting.

It had to be a pushback thing right? Like you had the kids dancing their disco music with the negroes and scaring old white people, so they turn up the Happy Days filter to 11 and say "NO BUT REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS WHEN A MAN COULD BE BEST FRIENDS WITH A MONKEY?!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm more worried there are days when you don't want this apparently.

Sometimes you feel all hoity toity and you want that ape to wear jaunty clothes while drinking a beer. Also the remainder of the year when you're just wishing you could see an ape drinking contest.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I didn't enjoy the WHM on Every Which Way But Loose very much, but I often find WHM to be hit or miss. There were some funny parts, but there were more misses and awkward silences. Hopefully the Flophouse episode will be better.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The WHM episode "Every Which Way But Loose" was excellent, I think one of their all time best. My favorite part was the tangent about the ape possibly being forgotten in the truck and dying while the theme plays. That, and the "blood boiling" and "used to be!" callbacks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The WHM episode "Every Which Way But Loose" was excellent, I think one of their all time best. My favorite part was the tangent about the ape possibly being forgotten in the truck and dying while the theme plays. That, and the "blood boiling" and "used to be!" callbacks.

That and Eastwood tending the rabbits. Yeah, this was a great episode.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Maybe I should give it another chance. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood for it.

I particularly thought they missed some opportunities in describing/mocking the gang members. They touched on it, but I thought there was much more comedy there to be mined.

I also think they could use a little more structure, sort of like the Flophouse has. It often devolves into three (or four) people talking over each other much like HDTGM. Something simple like the Flophouses' "this guy goes over the plot summary" goes a long way towards keeping thing coherent.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 1, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

I also think they could use a little more structure, sort of like the Flophouse has. It often devolves into three (or four) people talking over each other much like HDTGM. Something simple like the Flophouses' "this guy goes over the plot summary" goes a long way towards keeping thing coherent.

Woah, I'd never go that far. It may not be as structured as Flophouse, WHM never gets into outright arguing like HDTGM does, which is why I stopped listening to it.

While Flophouse definitely has great content, I kind of prefer WHM now because they spend a lot more time on the movie in every episode. In the Flophouse it almost feels like they rush through the movie to get to the letters and recommendations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Woah, I'd never go that far. It may not be as structured as Flophouse, WHM never gets into outright arguing like HDTGM does, which is why I stopped listening to it.

While Flophouse definitely has great content, I kind of prefer WHM now because they spend a lot more time on the movie in every episode. In the Flophouse it almost feels like they rush through the movie to get to the letters and recommendations.

In general I like Flophouse better but I think they're sometimes hamstrung by their recent movie rule. A lot of the films they do are just boring, while WHM can go to known good-bad movies whenever they want.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yeah, I prefer WHM to Flophouse, because they seem to dig up more interesting bad movies, as opposed to Flophouse, which tends to review movies that are just...lame. Also, the whole "we talked about the movie for twenty minutes and now there's an hour of singing and recommendations." I dunno, I like how in Alcohollywood there's recommendations for "a companion piece to this movie", but that's really right at the end and only takes a couple of minutes. If I start listening to a podcast about a movie, I want the overwhelming majority of the podcast to be about, well, that movie.

tldr; don't think Flophouse is as good as WHM and I didn't even get into How Did This Get Made. Guess it's all personal taste.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Flophouse has its ups and downs, and yeah, they seem to be cursed with picking boring movies and not having much to say about them. But when they're on their game, they're loving HILARIOUS. I love both podcasts, but WHM just has more content and is more consistent. I'll always listen to both, but WHM is my favorite.

I've also been going through the recent archive of Alcohollywood, and while at first I was disappointed that it wasn't strictly bad movies they're reviewing, I've started listening to the good movie episodes and appreciating them as well. It's not exactly the same thing as the other podcasts, but it has its own appeal.

And HDTGM... Is just frustrating to listen to. I won't start that debate again though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I stopped listening to Flophouse because of everything that has been brought up and that one dude just being WACKY and talking over everybody and generally grating. With WHM they discuss the movie, let each other speak, and they're funny. Plus lots of old-school Simpsons references.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing that I like about WHM and HDTGM is that the focus is on the movie. With WHM, they go through the whole movie and will stop to break down why something doesn't work or doesn't make sense or whatever, and HDTGM is a bunch of people just trying to make personal sense of the movie they watched. Flophouse just feels like the focus isn't on the movie, it's on the guys talking about the movie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

cheerfullydrab posted:

I stopped listening to Flophouse because of everything that has been brought up and that one dude just being WACKY and talking over everybody and generally grating. With WHM they discuss the movie, let each other speak, and they're funny. Plus lots of old-school Simpsons references.

I don't feel that way at all. Yes, Elliot is the most active on Flophouse, but there's barely any times when they're actually talking over each other. All of them seem to be collectively contributing, with Elliot leading the discussion and delivering the most rapid-fire jokes - but everyone is riffing off his energy.

In fact, I thought the Any Which Way You Can episode was especially good, and addressed most of the faults I DO have with their podcast - they spent a lot more time than usual focusing on the movie and did a great job summing up its craziness. I think if they seek out more movies that are crazy, fun, good-bad movies instead of snoozefests, they'll focus on the movie more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Flophouse just feels like the focus isn't on the movie, it's on the guys talking about the movie.

Yeah, this - thankfully it doesn't happen all the time (although far too often than usual recently). Again, this episode was an example of how well they do when the subject matter is a lot of fun. Seriously, I thought it was a great, great episode.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 5, 2014

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Just listened to the new WHM. Wow, The Butterfly Effect really does sound like a poisonous little movie. I remember hearing about it when it came out, and I had no idea it was so...uncomfortable sounding (I suppose in my head it was going to be more time traveller's wife-y or something, I wasn't labouring under a serious misapprehension, I just never cared enough to find out more.) I think that they were right, in terms of...when you go into a movie like, say, Mysterious Skin or American History X, you know what you're going in for and you're sort of...prepared for it, you're ready to deal with it, and it's handled well - whereas with a movie like the Butterfly Effect, it's sort of....nasty themes made into a movie by people who really didn't have the capability to handle them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm so glad they rip apart Butterfly Effect. That movie really is just EXTREME poo poo IN YOUR FACE CAN YOU HANDLE IT MAAAAAAN the film.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I saw The Butterfly Effect twice in theaters and thought this episode was great. Also, the new episode, lots of Simpsons references!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Infamous Sphere posted:

Just listened to the new WHM. Wow, The Butterfly Effect really does sound like a poisonous little movie. I remember hearing about it when it came out, and I had no idea it was so...uncomfortable sounding (I suppose in my head it was going to be more time traveller's wife-y or something, I wasn't labouring under a serious misapprehension, I just never cared enough to find out more.) I think that they were right, in terms of...when you go into a movie like, say, Mysterious Skin or American History X, you know what you're going in for and you're sort of...prepared for it, you're ready to deal with it, and it's handled well - whereas with a movie like the Butterfly Effect, it's sort of....nasty themes made into a movie by people who really didn't have the capability to handle them.

Did they touch on the director's cut alternate ending? Because it's hilarious.

The director's cut alternate ending shows Evan turning on the home movies, only this time instead of watching a home movie at a neighborhood gathering he's watching the video of his own birth. He travels back to when he is about to be born and commits suicide by strangling himself with his own umbilical cord, therefore he was never there to change the timeline in the first place and explains why Evan's mother had 2 still-born children before him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

weekly font posted:

I'm so glad they rip apart Butterfly Effect. That movie really is just EXTREME poo poo IN YOUR FACE CAN YOU HANDLE IT MAAAAAAN the film.
I've only listened to the first half-hour of the episode so far and they're still talking about all the Young Ashton stuff but goddamn you really can tell the screenwriters were trying to outdo Se7en and Donnie Darko by being all dark and edgy and poo poo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
As there were talking about this movie I realized that I must have seen it, because the first act or whatever seemed really familiar to me, but literally everything else was not. This leads me to believe that I must have fallen asleep during it. Thank you for this revelation WHM.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

As there were talking about this movie I realized that I must have seen it, because the first act or whatever seemed really familiar to me, but literally everything else was not. This leads me to believe that I must have fallen asleep during it. Thank you for this revelation WHM.

Had the exact same journey. I'm positive I've seen at least forty minutes of this movie and nothing else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did they touch on the director's cut alternate ending? Because it's hilarious.

The director's cut alternate ending shows Evan turning on the home movies, only this time instead of watching a home movie at a neighborhood gathering he's watching the video of his own birth. He travels back to when he is about to be born and commits suicide by strangling himself with his own umbilical cord, therefore he was never there to change the timeline in the first place and explains why Evan's mother had 2 still-born children before him.
They do briefly at the end of the episode. I love that's the "director's cut" ending because it fits in so well with how the movie was trying so hard to be EDGIER THAN EDGY, yet they went with the dull ending.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

WHM might have accidentally created the super villain "Baby Boomer" who goes around exploding babies with sticks of dynamite.

The Butterfly Effect is probably my favorite episode of theirs in a while now, and I really enjoyed their collective character of raspy film bros as the ones who wrote the movie.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing that I like about WHM and HDTGM is that the focus is on the movie. With WHM, they go through the whole movie and will stop to break down why something doesn't work or doesn't make sense or whatever, and HDTGM is a bunch of people just trying to make personal sense of the movie they watched. Flophouse just feels like the focus isn't on the movie, it's on the guys talking about the movie.

I agree and feel exactly the opposite about it. I listen to comedy podcasts for the comedy. I don't care about the movies in general, and as far as bad movie podcasts go, I consider the movies to be nothing more than a comedic device. To me, The Flophouse is the best because it is the funniest.

A good example of this is the U talking U2 To Me or Analyze Phish podcasts. I am not really interested in the bands at all, but they are two of my favorite podcasts. Or the Reality Show Show: I wouldn't ever even think about watching a reality show, but the Reality Show Show was great.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 6, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I enjoy WHM because apart from the incredible chemistry all of them exhibit and Szyska's impeccable timing, they all have the decency of either muting their mics or turning around when they laugh.

I tried listening to How Did This Get Made but couldn't make it past one episode because one of the dudes has the most incredibly obnoxious, screechy, annoying laughters ever and I can't deal with it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

A Meat posted:

WHM might have accidentally created the super villain "Baby Boomer" who goes around exploding babies with sticks of dynamite.

The Butterfly Effect is probably my favorite episode of theirs in a while now, and I really enjoyed their collective character of raspy film bros as the ones who wrote the movie.

Oh god yeah, that was cracking me up.

And yes, they do touch on the alternate ending! I knew about the ending before though, since I'd listened to the Yeah, it's That Bad review of the same movie, and I think the alternate ending was the only ending they saw in that one, since they didn't mention the other one. So the whole WHM review I was like "come on, strangled foetus time!" only for them to say the movie ends with that other thing. I was then like "oh what the hell?" only to find out that the film was SOOOO EXTREEEEEME that it had more than one ending.

All in all, it comes off as sad combination of Donnie Darko and a poor man's Looper, even before Looper was invented. One really does get the feeling that the writers were watching a whole bunch of SERIOUS MOVIES like..well, David Fincher and American History X and Donnie Darko, and them combining them into a horrible conglomeration, that misunderstands everything about the original films they took inspiration from. You can tell these guys wanted to be Tyler Durden and thought that a fight club would be soooo kewwwl bro.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

All in all, it comes off as sad combination of Donnie Darko and a poor man's Looper, even before Looper was invented. One really does get the feeling that the writers were watching a whole bunch of SERIOUS MOVIES like..well, David Fincher and American History X and Donnie Darko, and them combining them into a horrible conglomeration, that misunderstands everything about the original films they took inspiration from. You can tell these guys wanted to be Tyler Durden and thought that a fight club would be soooo kewwwl bro.
It's very cargo cult-y when you get right down to it; it's clear they watched Donnie Darko and Fight Club and went "oh man, we can totally do that!" with no thought about what actually made those movies work beyond a superficial level.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Now that I think about it, there was a paedophile neighbour in Donnie Darko as well, but because that wasn't the whole point of the story, the movie didn't obsess over it.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Infamous Sphere posted:

Now that I think about it, there was a paedophile neighbour in Donnie Darko as well, but because that wasn't the whole point of the story, the movie didn't obsess over it.

Yeah he's a real Pedophile Excited Terrifying Extrovert.

Enjoyed the new episode but the stoner dudes started to grate after a bit, totally accurate though.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Flython posted:

Yeah he's a real Pedophile Excited Terrifying Extrovert.

Enjoyed the new episode but the stoner dudes started to grate after a bit, totally accurate though.

Ahahaa oh man, what episode did that PETE thing come from? It was that one with the digital denzel washington - Virtuosity - wasn't it?

It's strangely appropriate, since "Pete" in my mind will always be sadly associated with paedophiles, ever since I had the misfortune of reading Alfie's Home.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

Ahahaa oh man, what episode did that PETE thing come from? It was that one with the digital denzel washington - Virtuosity - wasn't it?
Yeah, that's Virtuosity.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Man WHM's North episode was loving DARK. "All these parents want North to just....meet them...."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's very cargo cult-y when you get right down to it; it's clear they watched Donnie Darko and Fight Club and went "oh man, we can totally do that!" with no thought about what actually made those movies work beyond a superficial level.

My feeling with the Butterfly Effect is that is was an attempt to be "shocking" and "dark", but like most attempts to do that without considering the balance of the film it looped around to "laughably stupid". I hadn't considered the "jumped up student film" aspect that WHM played up but it really does fit. You'll still find people out there that defend it as a misunderstood masterpiece and claim that the alternative ending makes the whole film.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

You'll still find people out there that defend it as a misunderstood masterpiece and claim that the alternative ending makes the whole film.

Without having seen the movie, but knowing the alternative ending, I kind of assumed that was the case. Now that I know the actual details of the plot, it makes it extra loving stupid - there's so many things he did wrong for NO GODDAMN REASON other than the plot decided something really shocking was needed.

Or maybe that does make the alternate ending make more sense - he was just too stupid to live, and he needs to end his bloodline because his idiocy destroys everyone around him.

I kind of like endings that troll the audience, though. I loving applauded at the end of Repo Men - it was a giant gently caress you that made a stupid movie 180 into hilarious. I choose to believe that was intentional, and that Butterfly Effect's was not, though.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

"And speaking of doughnut rainstorms, Ethan Suplee..." has to be one of the greatest segues I've heard in a long while.