Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
My understanding is that his handling of the Animal Crossing LP was what got his foot in the door. My understanding could be flawed, of course, but that's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dunno, I wasn't actively reading or participating in SA's LP community until a few years ago, so I missed the whole Animal Crossing thing. That's pretty cool, though, as I played a bit of Banner Saga and quite enjoyed it.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I'm in need of some VLPs of the Half Life series, preferably voiced.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FillInTheBlank posted:

Have you seen the Spoiler Warning LP of Half Life 2? They are mostly talking about the design elements that went into making the game work even after all these years. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIN36m4vlapbyq4txGaCBFkGCIXz-V9zm

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FillInTheBlank posted:

Freeman's Mind.

Guy goes through the first half-life game giving voice to Freeman's thoughts.

Is way better than it sounds. And finally almost done after about 7 years. :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Brainamp posted:

Freeman's Mind.

For what it's worth, he had a donation drive and got way, WAY more money than he expected, so he promised to definitely be done with Half-Life this year.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Brainamp posted:

Freeman's Mind.

Watched the first episode and it seemed dumb.
Not quite what I'm after.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone know where to find the remixes that Viper.fox did for cybershell's sonic LP? All the links in the lparchive are broken oddly.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My girlfriend and I LOVE watching LPs together, but we've watched a few already and we're running out a little bit!

So far we've watched pretty much everything Pork lift and Wateyad have done, 20 Years of Sonic, the Super Best Friends LP of Indigo Prophecy and we got partway through Geop's Dark Souls run. We tried the FFX LP in the archives (I cannot remember who did it though) because we're both huge fans of the game but we had to stop because we got more angry than we should have at the liberal use of "human being" and now we're not really sure what else to watch!

It might be obvious but we tend to like longer LPs, with a less than serious commentary style, closer to an MST3K riff session than an informative, completionist LP. We don't care if its blind or not, but blind tends to be funnier for the more natural reactions to silly things happening.

20 Years of Sonic has been our favourite so far because we both love Keith and Kyle and we both appreciate that while they'll riff on a game when it deserves it, they will also talk about parts they genuinely liked, even if the rest of the game is terrible. I really wanted her to watch the Two Worlds LP that hbomb and Organic Robot did but blip took it down and the dropbox hosting is almost always down. We're also watching through Niggurath's Disaster LP and enjoying it a lot, but as its still ongoing its not something we can just sit and watch together in a few sittings. I tried to show her Kaubocks and Panzer Skank's Saints Row 2 LP but since she's not a huge fan of the game itself, she lost interest pretty quickly.

Any suggestions, guys and gals?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

My girlfriend and I LOVE watching LPs together, but we've watched a few already and we're running out a little bit!

So far we've watched pretty much everything Pork lift and Wateyad have done, 20 Years of Sonic, the Super Best Friends LP of Indigo Prophecy and we got partway through Geop's Dark Souls run. We tried the FFX LP in the archives (I cannot remember who did it though) because we're both huge fans of the game but we had to stop because we got more angry than we should have at the liberal use of "human being" and now we're not really sure what else to watch!

It might be obvious but we tend to like longer LPs, with a less than serious commentary style, closer to an MST3K riff session than an informative, completionist LP. We don't care if its blind or not, but blind tends to be funnier for the more natural reactions to silly things happening.

20 Years of Sonic has been our favourite so far because we both love Keith and Kyle and we both appreciate that while they'll riff on a game when it deserves it, they will also talk about parts they genuinely liked, even if the rest of the game is terrible. I really wanted her to watch the Two Worlds LP that hbomb and Organic Robot did but blip took it down and the dropbox hosting is almost always down. We're also watching through Niggurath's Disaster LP and enjoying it a lot, but as its still ongoing its not something we can just sit and watch together in a few sittings. I tried to show her Kaubocks and Panzer Skank's Saints Row 2 LP but since she's not a huge fan of the game itself, she lost interest pretty quickly.

I think Deadly Premonition might be right up your alley?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
You may enjoy Pokecapn's stuff. Him and his friends tend to play entire games (mostly Sonic) blind and in one sitting, but even the games they've played before have a less serious commentary style. If you're not in the mood for more Sonic after 20 years of Sonic, the Mario Party and Four Swords Aventures LPs are great. There's also Final Fantasy XIII-2 by the same group.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Faerie Fortune posted:

Sorry I said human being so much.

You may want to check Mercenaries 2 by by helloitsdan & lithuanian dad. It's less "MSTK riffing" and more "two guys goofing around", but its entirely entertaining. It also goes without saying that anything Chip and Ironicus make is gold (I would recommend 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'd recommend Judge Reinhold's LP of The Golden Compass.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

just watch all of the Men Drinking Coffee LPs from Advergames onwards

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'd recommend Judge Reinhold's LP of The Golden Compass.
Ride to Hell was a sight to behold, too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FutureFriend posted:

just watch all of the Men Drinking Coffee LPs from Advergames onwards

Yeah, I was going to recommend their Advergames LP but it's a series of short games and Idunno if that gels with what Faerie Fortune's looking for. :shobon:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I don't mind series of shorter games, we did watch through the entirety of 20 Years of Sonic, after all!

All these suggestions seem really awesome, thanks a lot guys! I'm especially surprised I didn't think of 50 Cent before since we've watched all of the Metal Gear Solid videos!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I already posted about it, but I'm gonna have to recommend everybody watch Kaubocks and Panzer Skank's LP of Saints Row 2 that just finished. It's seriously one of the funniest LPs I've seen since Mercenaries 2, and that's saying a lot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to plug Regdren's Shadow Warrior LP here. It's a classic shooter from the nineties, meaning it's designed around being able to save anytime you want. He doesn't do that. Instead, he plays it it on the highest difficulty - and kills himself at the start of every level in order to lose all weapons he had.
It's not comedy gold and it won't change your life, but it's a really skilled run of a pretty difficult FPS, definitely worth a watch.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Ride to Hell was a sight to behold, too.

If people saying human being is a little much for them, this might cause their heads to explode. It was hilarious, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

YamiNoSenshi posted:

If people saying human being is a little much for them, this might cause their heads to explode. It was hilarious, though.

? The Men Drinkin' Coffee (R-C-TM) don't swear for the most part.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

steinrokkan posted:

? The Men Drinkin' Coffee (R-C-TM) don't swear for the most part.

The game sure as hell does.

A Wooden Palisade
May 23, 2009

none of them want to fight me like you do

YamiNoSenshi posted:

There's a difference between a game using slurs and the commentators playing it using slurs.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Teddybear posted:

The game sure as hell does.

Pretty sure that's not what they were talking about.

Ed: Like A Wooden Palisade said. I'm fine with people LPing a game that has some offensive poo poo in it, but I'm not comfortable with LPers throwing slurs around left and right.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

DICKPIX REMOVED

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

James Hardon posted:

DICKPIX REMOVED

RIP

DecayDOA
Jun 3, 2013

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

James Hardon posted:

DICKPIX REMOVED

I agree.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

James Hardon posted:

DICKPIX REMOVED

James Hardon died the way he lived.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I really wanted her to watch the Two Worlds LP that hbomb and Organic Robot did but blip took it down and the dropbox hosting is almost always down.

Since the demand for this is apparently much bigger than I thought, I'm gonna upload this here over the next few days.

Do note that due to questionable encoding decisions some of the videos may not play properly in JW Player, so you might need to download them, or at least access the file via the download button and let your browser handle the decoding.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 9, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Faerie Fortune posted:

If you liked the dynamic of the FFX LP, you'd probably like some of the other stuff that Tipping40s did. I don't remember them keeping up the human being shtick in any other LP. In their defense the word was thrown around a lot more back then, kind of like the whole Huck Finn thing.

What I'm basically saying is that Kuvo is Mark Twain.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Since the demand for this is apparently much bigger than I thought, I'm gonna upload this here over the next few days.

Do note that due to questionable encoding decisions some of the videos may not play properly in JW Player, so you might need to download them, or at least access the file via the download button and let your browser handle the decoding.

Oh my goodness, thank you! Twoworldsman will live again!

A Wooden Palisade posted:

There's a difference between a game using slurs and the commentators playing it using slurs.

Yes, this was my problem with the T40s videos. I have no problem with a game swearing and having bad language if its thematically appropriate and I don't care if commentators swear too because I'm an adult but as a gay girl I get very uncomfortable with homophobic slurs being thrown around so casually. Which is a shame because I was really enjoying the commentary besides that!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Somebody here recommended the Ribbit King ie 'FROLF' LP, but all the videos in that is not available. Is there any way I could watch it? The Game Grumps' treatment of it piqued my interest in the game, but they're not playing the entire game.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 9, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

toanoradian posted:

Somebody here recommended the Ribbit King ie 'FROLF' LP, but all the videos in that is not available. Is there any way I could watch it? The Game Grumps' treatment of it piqued my interest in the game, but they're not playing the entire game.

Wait really?
FROLF (which means Frog Golf) LP was a really good LP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

Somebody here recommended the Ribbit King ie 'FROLF' LP, but all the videos in that is not available. Is there any way I could watch it?

Release the videos, Pins.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Release the videos, Pins.

When i say that theyre gone, unfortunately i mean it. I had a pretty big accident which caused everything to be lost.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

If you liked the dynamic of the FFX LP, you'd probably like some of the other stuff that Tipping40s did. I don't remember them keeping up the human being shtick in any other LP. In their defense the word was thrown around a lot more back then, kind of like the whole Huck Finn thing.

What I'm basically saying is that Kuvo is Mark Twain.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yes, this was my problem with the T40s videos. I have no problem with a game swearing and having bad language if its thematically appropriate and I don't care if commentators swear too because I'm an adult but as a gay girl I get very uncomfortable with homophobic slurs being thrown around so casually. Which is a shame because I was really enjoying the commentary besides that!

For what its worth we burnt mellowed out in our later LPs. I said a lot of regrettable things in some of the earlier ones.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Goldeneye was the first T40s LP I came across, and I absolutely recommend it. Shenmue (the LP) was hit-or-miss for some, but I really enjoyed it :v: Shenmue was a favorite game of mine, but having them riff on it kind of led to me re-evaluating it, thinking "wow, I guess this game really did have some dumb design decisions, huh?"

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

please do not ban my friend james hardon

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yo, if you like mediocre bargain bin platformers on the Nintendo 64, you should check out majormonotone and The T's Chameleon Twist. They 100% get-enough-crowns-to-be-close-enough-to-100% the game. It's a fairly relaxed and funny LP, and they have good chemistry together. The game isn't too long, so it doesn't overstay its welcome, and it's interesting to see N64 platformers that weren't made by Nintendo or Rare in action. Also, it has some clever ideas amongst all the mediocrity, so that's fun to see.

There was a brief hiatus, but they're back now and getting ready to play through the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

I AM THE MOON posted:

please do not ban my friend james hardon

• Locked thread