Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Dying would take some effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

UncleMonkey posted:

How is Fez not dead?
Ron put it best when he said "Some burdens just never go away."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Poor Shelby can't cum. And he's loving killing it today.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm calling to put an end to the rumor that I did crack 3 years ago

actually it was 2 years ago

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
Ron and fez good today? I mean fez is back so..is it another "Fez is back"? Nature boy bullshit that fell flat on it's face?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChristianDB posted:

Ron and fez good today? I mean fez is back so..is it another "Fez is back"? Nature boy bullshit that fell flat on it's face?

The beginning was good in the way listening to an old lady list off their medical problems for 30mins is good.

Then they talked about quarterbacks for a while and started doing another lifeboat game and I turned it off.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Why is it when Fez was gone it was great with little to none of the dumb games like lifeboat and what's in the box.

Then he comes back ...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

The beginning was good in the way listening to an old lady list off their medical problems for 30mins is good.

Then they talked about quarterbacks for a while and started doing another lifeboat game and I turned it off.

You missed Pepper crushing one of Fez's muscle relaxers and Fez attempting to snort it. Hilarious stuff.

And I thought today was solid. Fez is running the board, Shelby is able to focus on firing off weird one liners and everything ran smoothly. Even Lifeboat was saved by Ron and Shelby joking around.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Did LCK do Howie this morning as well?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hah I love how Stephen Starr was on Opie and Anthony and they just don't give a poo poo. He's like one of the restaurant gods here in Philly. To be fair all of his places are loving delicious.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Saint Jimmy posted:

Did LCK do Howie this morning as well?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzNRJW7nqac

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Louie segment felt off, as in it was less hangout and more interview. It also seems like they don't know how to talk to him anymore.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

shyduck posted:

The Louie segment felt off, as in it was less hangout and more interview. It also seems like they don't know how to talk to him anymore.

It's been like that for a while. Louis really is a big celebrity these days so all they can do is say "wow, you were hosting SNL again and the cover of GQ and you have two TV shows and you're appearing in Oscar nominated films and..."

Most of the regular comics they have maybe have ONE of those things in a year, if that. It's a little intimidating.

That being said I enjoyed today's show and all the last few Louis appearances.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
All I know is that I was in tears during Jimmy's Louis segment

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

Most of the regular comics they have maybe have ONE of those things in a year, if that. It's a little intimidating.

One a year? Their super regular guys would be lucky to get one of those a decade.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Dave posted:

One a year? Their super regular guys would be lucky to get one of those a decade.

For sure, I just meant that usually the regulars have some small success that they come in and talk about every now and then, like Burr doing a movie with Pacino and last week's Florentine appearance where he says he got a part on Californication. Those are decent breaks for the regulars, meanwhile Louis comes in once every couple of months and he's had several major successes.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

DiscoDickTease posted:

That was fantastic.

Also, holy poo poo has Jimmy gotten really thin. I mean, he was never actually fat before (at least not nearly as fat as the image he has in his head). But goddamn has he lost weight.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

DiscoDickTease posted:

That turtle-esque man can't stop blinking.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

DiscoDickTease posted:

Just when I think Lady Di isn't stupid enough to fall for something...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

livingfruitvirus posted:

She's a gullible, imbecilic, alcoholic crack fiend. If they told her Obama was in the studio and on the phone with her, she'd believe it. I wish they'd pull a Nigerian Prince 419 scam on her and see how much of Bill's money she'd send. She is just the worst.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

livingfruitvirus posted:

I know right, there were parts of that I'm certain even Bobo wouldn't have fallen for.

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."
Am I the only one who doesn't think Louie CK's show is amazingly brilliant? I really liked Lucky Louie, Louie's stand up and Louie on the radio. But I thought Season 1 of "Louie" was just decent-ish and I hated the 2/3 or so of Season 2 that I managed to get through. Apparently I'm an idiot because it wasn't supposed to be funny/entertaining/consistent/[insert any other positive adjective here], or at least that's what the hardcore fans say when I complain. Does it get better/different after S2?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's a good show, but it has a lot of anti-comedy elements and doesn't follow any specific format so I think that throws people off.

Lucky Louie was his version of Roseanne, it was funny too but just your standard sitcom, nothing special. Louie is unique, but yes it can miss sometimes trying to be different so it's not perfect.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yea, I wouldn't call it brilliant or anything, but I definitely find it funny and entertaining.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mousetrench posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Louie CK's show is amazingly brilliant? I really liked Lucky Louie, Louie's stand up and Louie on the radio. But I thought Season 1 of "Louie" was just decent-ish and I hated the 2/3 or so of Season 2 that I managed to get through. Apparently I'm an idiot because it wasn't supposed to be funny/entertaining/consistent/[insert any other positive adjective here], or at least that's what the hardcore fans say when I complain. Does it get better/different after S2?

Louie is a fun show, it's not something I wait for every week to watch though. I just binge watch the seasons as they are added to Netflix.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I like the show a lot. It's unpredictable and occasionally profound. Plus it warms my heart to see ol' blinky on the screen from time to time. Also ol' blobby.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ozza posted:

I like the show a lot. It's unpredictable and occasionally profound. Plus it warms my heart to see ol' blinky on the screen from time to time. Also ol' blobby.

Blobby is awesome on Louie, he should really write his own show, he's entertaining as hell.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah like I didn't watch it last night knowing it was on, but if I am bored tonight I will probably throw it on, it's that kind of show for me. Some of it has been epic though and really brilliant stuff, it just doesn't always work and for a comedy has a lot of sad sack elements with no real laughter.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mousetrench posted:

I had trouble getting into it. A few episodes slayed me the rest were kind of just on.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

shyduck posted:

Yeah, that's been the vibe for a while now. I think the only time it wasn't in recent memory is when Louie popped in unannounced at the end of the show. Other than that appearance, it's them interviewing him and fawning over how famous he is, while he makes noises like "hm. meh. blrgh."

And his show is definitely not as brilliant as people make it out to be. A lot of episodes are really funny, some are great while not being funny, but a lot of them are just not good at all. Which is fine, it's not like a TV show has to be amazing every single episode.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

livingfruitvirus posted:

The few times she called him "Jimmy" made me go deep into :tinfoil: territory and made me think that this was them setting her up, letting her know she was going to fight with a fake Louis CK, but she would get bothered enough to tear down the fourth wall and yell at the actor she knew was playing Fake Louis.

It hadn't occurred to me too much until someone said that 90% of the "retard" bits are set up in advance, but now I'm a lot more sensitive to the little signs. I mean, I know that a lot of times they're fed lines in studio, but I get bummed out when Opie does a five minute set up to begrudgingly take Lady Di/Bobo and ask with frustration "Why are you CAWLING us?!" only for them to go "You guys called me". It's never acknowledged and there's usually the tiniest bit of silence before they go onto beating them up, verbally.

I can only hope she IS that stupid, and we're not all rubes. :smith:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Cromulent posted:

And his show is definitely not as brilliant as people make it out to be. A lot of episodes are really funny, some are great while not being funny, but a lot of them are just not good at all. Which is fine, it's not like a TV show has to be amazing every single episode.

I agree completely. The funny thing is when I look at this thread, most of the O&A listeners feel the same way about Louie being good but overrated, but if you try to bring this up in the TVIV thread you'll get flamed forever.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

TwistedNails posted:

Louie is a fun show, it's not something I wait for every week to watch though. I just binge watch the seasons as they are added to Netflix.

FX takes a long while to add shows to Netflix don't they?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bubba Smith posted:

I agree completely. The funny thing is when I look at this thread, most of the O&A listeners feel the same way about Louie being good but overrated, but if you try to bring this up in the TVIV thread you'll get flamed forever.

TVIV seems to think it's a strange that a show about bad people doing bad things is successful too, I wouldn't take TVIV too seriously. I swear to god, the Breaking Bad thread is good and all, but you'd think that having a flawed main character was something that the show invented by how people talk about it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I thought Louie got kinda boring and samey after a while, that said the Miami episode is one of the best things i've ever seen

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

I thought last nights two episodes were really good. Its funny that Seinfeld was supposed to be the "Show about nothing" but it always had a plot. Louie really is a show about nothing. The first episode had no real plot at all, it was just some amusing stuff. The second had a plot, but was still very loosely structured. Sometimes it works for the show and sometimes it doesn't.

And yes, Jimmy is a fidgety, blinky, zilch. His scene at the poker game was very funny though. His acting is much improved from his first real TV appearances.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I thought the 3 episodes where Louie is trying to take over the Tonight Show were really great

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Bubba Smith posted:

Yeah, i made the mistake of suggesting that it maybe wasn't that great in TVIV halfway through the second season.

Of course i was called a luddite rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand comedy at all because i didn't find every second of the show to be hilarious genius.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I thought Louie got kinda boring and samey after a while, that said the Miami episode is one of the best things i've ever seen
I wouldn't call it same-y, but I consider it a series of mostly inspired short films rather than an outright comedy. He insists the "formula" really switches up after the first 3 episodes this season, and I'm looking super forward to what the increased serialization in a constantly surreal dreamscape entails. Mainly because that Letterman saga was incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Morter posted:

The few times she called him "Jimmy" made me go deep into :tinfoil: territory and made me think that this was them setting her up, letting her know she was going to fight with a fake Louis CK, but she would get bothered enough to tear down the fourth wall and yell at the actor she knew was playing Fake Louis.

It hadn't occurred to me too much until someone said that 90% of the "retard" bits are set up in advance, but now I'm a lot more sensitive to the little signs. I mean, I know that a lot of times they're fed lines in studio, but I get bummed out when Opie does a five minute set up to begrudgingly take Lady Di/Bobo and ask with frustration "Why are you CAWLING us?!" only for them to go "You guys called me". It's never acknowledged and there's usually the tiniest bit of silence before they go onto beating them up, verbally.

I can only hope she IS that stupid, and we're not all rubes. :smith:

I caught that as well, but then I realized that Lady Di wouldn't be smart enough to cover with it with 'is Jimmy there?' I think she kinda heard Jimmy's voice laughing and went after him instead of "Louie." If this is fake, then Lady Di is really good on covering, and I wouldn't give her that much credit.

• Locked thread