Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Keats, I want to see his reaction to the upcoming realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

I favour Keats first.

Trivia;

The name Ellen doesn't mean Fairy; it means "light". It's a variant on Helen.

Even more trivial: While you were fighting Luidaeg I remembered that the writer Seanan McGuire has Luidaeg as a character in her "Toby Daye" novels. She says that it's pronounced something like "loo-shack". I did a bit of a google search and half the pages I found were talking about McGuire's novels and the other half were repeating the same info from another source (Luidaeg is a water-hag, drowns naughty children in her pond, blah, blah, blah) I did find one that was a kind of compendium of fairie folklore (note the small "f") that confirmed that pronunciation.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
That's pretty great pronunciation information to get now that I'll probably never use it again with either character.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel like the Faery Lord is dangerously out of touch with reality since Livane had very good reason to abdicate, people were killing themselves/each-other do to having no fear of death.

I cannot see the Faery Lord's plan as anything but a disaster waiting to happen & I imagine the HellRealm will not very kind to him or Ellen as a result.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 4, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The argument can be made that Livane is clearly in the right, and from our perspective, I think that's true. But think about it from the other side - imagine if you KNEW with absolute certainty, not just a belief but a fact, that there was an afterlife where immortal souls dwell and that it was losing power and disappearing because living people were forgetting about it and concentrating on their own lives in their own world. You could focus on doing what was best for the world of the ephemeral living, or you could sacrifice that to make the eternal afterlife the best it could possibly be. In that case, wouldn't the home of the immortal souls be the obvious choice for which world to save?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nidoking posted:

In that case, wouldn't the home of the immortal souls be the obvious choice for which world to save?

I don't imagine that the countless Messengers that have died in the Faery Lord's name would think so anymore. His utter disregard for life is a huge red flag to me and I think that ideally you should try to do what is best for both the living and the dead.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Bucking the trend and voting for Ellen, I want to see what O'Connell has planned.

Also, when you killed Fleshrum this time I noticed an eye that was high up on the wall close to the ceiling. You can see it 7 mins into your video in the background while you are capturing it's id. Given the picture in the book I wonder if Habetrot's attack can interact with that eye and cause some effect - since the picture book had a silhouette of Habetrot shooting a beam at an eye that is higher up.

Nidoking posted:

The argument can be made that Livane is clearly in the right, and from our perspective, I think that's true. But think about it from the other side - imagine if you KNEW with absolute certainty, not just a belief but a fact, that there was an afterlife where immortal souls dwell and that it was losing power and disappearing because living people were forgetting about it and concentrating on their own lives in their own world. You could focus on doing what was best for the world of the ephemeral living, or you could sacrifice that to make the eternal afterlife the best it could possibly be. In that case, wouldn't the home of the immortal souls be the obvious choice for which world to save?

It's an interesting situation where both sides seek a solution that is difficult to find.

The netherworld, as I understand it is shaped as a reflection of people's lives and their idea of death and what it entails, and while it always exists, the nature of the netherworld might change. Hence we have the different realms and conditions.

If people knew that the netherworld existed and believed that they would simply be able to live a blissful life whatever they did, perhaps that would change the nature of their morality and cause it to degrade as they expected an easy life for little. Then that might effect the netherworld in turn and end up making it something worse.

Perhaps there's a way to save it without making everyone so certain that death is not to be feared too.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 4, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh hey double update. I was going to say Keats buuuut...

Mehuyael posted:

Voting for Ellen for the super secret folk you can only find if you pick chapters in the exact sequence we've been taking until now (my uncle who works in Nintendo told me).

...I don't want to miss out on optional content! Ellen's Turn. Turns out this game is not developed by Cavia and therefore is not completely insane about its secrets. Ellen can wait.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 6, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm still really confused about the whole Lulu situation. Ellen found a mummy the first time she entered the Henge, and then this time she found Lulu's earring. But...why would Lulu not be in the Netherworld? Is it specific to people from Doolin such that only Doolin's dead can be contacted? And isn't it still jumping to conclusions assuming Lulu has to be dead?
Am I missing something here?

Oh, also, Ellen.

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

Nidoking posted:

That's pretty great pronunciation information to get now that I'll probably never use it again with either character.

Sorry, Dude. :(

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Keeping with tradition, I'm voting Keats.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

...I don't want to miss out on optional content!

I thought it was a pretty obvious joke, but just in case anyone is actually fooled, there's no content that relies on doing things in a particular order. If there had been, I would have done the chapters in the necessary order, but think about it - does that even make sense?

Spatula City posted:

I'm still really confused about the whole Lulu situation.

I don't know whether we've gotten the whole story or not. It does seem to be a bit of a leap to presume that the mummy was Lulu, but the earring certainly seems to indicate that she was in fact in the Divine Sanctuary at some point.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I say Ellen.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Nidoking posted:

I thought it was a pretty obvious joke, but just in case anyone is actually fooled, there's no content that relies on doing things in a particular order. If there had been, I would have done the chapters in the necessary order, but think about it - does that even make sense?

You guys mentioned this game is hard on completionists, and ever since NieR I stopped underestimating how vicious developers can be about hiding their secrets. :v:

Keats it is!

e: To elaborate on it a little. NieR has a hidden sidequest deliberately put right before a point of no return that requires talking to an NPC hidden waaaay off your path multiple times, leaving and reentering the town until he finally decides to change his dialogue to give you the actual quest prompt.

This is around the halfway point of the game and completing the quest takes you to 51% quest completion rather than 50%, so you normally would have no idea you missed anything, doubly so because the game's quest hint NPCs make absolutely no mention of it ever existing. This is also is right before the starting point for New Game+, so if you missed it the first time around you need a fresh save.

tl;dr I've seen weirder secrets than this joke.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 5, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Major_JF posted:

I say Ellen.
Ditto, because every chapter she gets a new pretty dress.

Sometimes they look badass, like the Warcadia one! :black101:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Ditto, because every chapter she gets a new pretty dress.

The bad news is that the new pretty dress comes near the end of the chapter - a bit like the Cloak of the Deep, actually, but one step more difficult to find. The good news is that I'm hoping to collect it before doing the quest and grinding videos, and while I don't remember offhand what the new power is, I recall it being useful enough that I'll probably wear it until I get the final Cloak, so we'll see plenty of it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I totally thought O'connell was going to jump, and that would be how we would enter hellrealm that Livanne spoke of, but no I'm pleased that that wasn't the case. :)

I'm going to go with Ellen because I want to know what O'connell's method of retrieving memories is. And also what the hell O'connell is a researcher of.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
There can only be Keats.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm so weak-willed. I just couldn't take it anymore. After months of editing these videos, previewing them so I can prepare some commentary, watching them again while recording the commentary, watching them AGAIN to make sure the final sound mix is good... a man can only take so much. Something had to give. I just couldn't take listening to that music anymore without doing something drastic.

That's such a relief. I'm so happy.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I don't know whether we've gotten the whole story or not. It does seem to be a bit of a leap to presume that the mummy was Lulu, but the earring certainly seems to indicate that she was in fact in the Divine Sanctuary at some point.

That reminds me, if Cecilia was supposed to be young Ellen, why did we encounter her in the Netherworld when Ellen was alive? Maybe it was supposed to be someone's memory of Cecilia, but still, I'm really confused about that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't really get how the afterlife works in this gameworld. Do people actually go to the netherworlds when they die, or only their memories? Knowing that when I die insects will eat both my body and my "spirit" wouldn't really comfort me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Daigerus posted:

That reminds me, if Cecilia was supposed to be young Ellen, why did we encounter her in the Netherworld when Ellen was alive? Maybe it was supposed to be someone's memory of Cecilia, but still, I'm really confused about that.

Mehuyael posted:

I don't really get how the afterlife works in this gameworld. Do people actually go to the netherworlds when they die, or only their memories? Knowing that when I die insects will eat both my body and my "spirit" wouldn't really comfort me.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for this based on what we've seen so far of the game, nor do I remember whether there's a definitive answer yet to come. What we have been told is that the memories the Mnemosynes show us are not the enduring consciousnesses of the people they belonged to, but detached memories that exist on their own. That's not to say that the souls don't live on in the Netherworld, but perhaps Ellen and Keats can't interact with them the way they would with living humans.

Ellen is still alive, and therefore Cecilia is too, but her memories of her childhood are not currently within her. Maybe those memories took form in the Netherworld the same way the memories of the dead did, and perhaps that has something to do with why the Faery Lord says that Ellen must reach the Netherworld Core to recover those memories.

We could find out in the upcoming chapter, as my latest count has Ellen winning by a single, rather confused and misguided vote. I could be off by one either way - it's tough to tell because some people quoted votes and I might have missed something while skimming through. No sense calling an end to it just yet, but if you haven't voted yet, it's really close!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is a shame that most of the game's music is low key enough we don't get to hear it, because I looked up a few tracks and they are very nice.

e: By the way Nidoking, I changed my mistaken vote from Ellen to Keats.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

It is a shame that most of the game's music is low key enough we don't get to hear it, because I looked up a few tracks and they are very nice.

Some of them sound a lot more impressive in the soundtrack - I still haven't decided which version I prefer, but the instruments seem to stand out a lot more on the CD, and a few of the looping tracks from the game have outros on the CDs. I'm also curious about some key differences - the track that I would have expected to be the miniboss theme from the Faery Realm (it's right between the standard fight music and Cernunnos' theme) is instead something that sounds much more suited to final boss music, and I don't recognize it from the portions of the game I've played for the LP so far. I could pull up my endgame file and see whether it IS the final boss music, but I'd rather just wait. The actual theme I was expecting might be on one of the later two discs.

I've noticed a few other things about the music, though, particularly the ambient music. If there is ambient music in the Faery Realm or the Undersea City outside of combat, I've never noticed it. However, the ambient music in Warcadia and the Endless Corridor plays throughout. I wonder whether that's meant to mean that the former two Realms are more peaceful, and fighting is an unusual situation, while the latter two are more chaotic and you're basically just fighting all the time there. I suppose I can be more certain if the fifth Realm's music fits the pattern. Also, the percussion in the Warcadia tracks is really heavy. It sounds like military marches. I think that's much more noticeable in the soundtrack version.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go with Ellen again to lead the chapter.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think everyone's had enough time to watch the videos and vote, and my latest count has Ellen with a commanding lead of a single not at all confused vote, so I'm calling the voting now. It's convenient for me, because I should have time this weekend to record at least the first run through the Realm, and I believe I need to do it all in a single run to get the Cloak (not necessarily entirely true, but given the objectives you have to meet to get it, you'd need a list to do anything less than everything and still succeed), so that's my plan. I'm still working on some extra content to bridge the gap until I have enough videos to keep the LP going through June, but that's still up in the air just yet. I'll keep the thread updated if there are any new developments before there are new videos, and otherwise, expect Ellen's bestiary sometime this weekend.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Bit late on this, but I'm pretty certain that picture book image is in fact a Habetrot, as seen from behind, shooting its sleepybeams at the wall eyes.

Also, what is the deal with Scarecrow? We know roughly that Belgae is a servant of Livane, if a bit mysterious, but I don't think we've ever actually seen Scarecrow in the same place as the Faery Lord.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Bit late on this, but I'm pretty certain that picture book image is in fact a Habetrot, as seen from behind, shooting its sleepybeams at the wall eyes.

I guess I should try that when I load up the game, although I don't see why you'd need a Sleep attack when Peg Powler takes the eyes down in a single hit as it is.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I guess I should try that when I load up the game, although I don't see why you'd need a Sleep attack when Peg Powler takes the eyes down in a single hit as it is.

See if you can do anything with those eyes that are halfway up the wall, close to the ceiling - if you look 7 mins into the folklore vid you can see one behind the heart. In the picture book the eye looks higher up than the Habetrot so I parsed it as something high up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

See if you can do anything with those eyes that are halfway up the wall, close to the ceiling - if you look 7 mins into the folklore vid you can see one behind the heart. In the picture book the eye looks higher up than the Habetrot so I parsed it as something high up.

Done and done, and while I didn't bother to record it (seems a bit pointless at the moment, although it might be worth doing if it works for Keats as well), there is indeed a single eye high up on the wall at one end of the room, which is disgorging the Thrumpins regularly. Hitting it with Habetrot will cause it to close for a while and let you concentrate on the rest of the room. Sleep doesn't work on the eyes at Ellen's level, though - they have to be hit with Water.

After doing that, I proceeded to record most of Ellen's Chapter 5 - it's turning into an all-day epic, since the Cloak was a bit better hidden than I thought, so I've got a couple of short videos to start with, then about an hour of searching for the Cloak (which I plan to condense to highlights and maybe shove some of them in the Grinding video if it makes sense to do that), the longest set of Quests yet by far (which could easily stretch to three videos and, in my opinion, not suffer at all for the length - those are some good Quests with some solid mechanics and a couple of very sad stories), and only an hour and forty minutes of specific grinding, which still leaves Quasarilli minus one Karma, but I still don't care about it enough to double the length of the video grinding Spriggan. I have better Wind element Folks now. I'd take on the Folklore as well, but I should probably eat a meal first. LP is hungry work.

So, to tide you over until I start posting videos again (which will hopefully be sooner than the start of Chapter 5, since a couple of knowledgeable volunteers have stepped up to teach us about the Folks of the second half of the game and I plan to do a second audio track for the most recent grinding video to cover Chapter 4), here's Ellen's Chapter 4 Bestiary. I rewrote one of the entries after playing through Chapter 5 - guess which one! (There is no prize for guessing which one.) I also updated the entries for a couple of the Warcadia Folks that we saw reach their full potential during this chapter, but it's probably not worth going back to look - there's nothing that interesting about there being four of a Folk instead of three.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, what the hell is worth loving around with the entirety of the human subconscious? Or was the Faery Lord just lying about that?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

Okay, what the hell is worth loving around with the entirety of the human subconscious? Or was the Faery Lord just lying about that?

Well, that was Livane's story. She damaged one of the Twin Trees, and the Faery Lord is trying to restore things to the way they originally were.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Livane's point of view might not be that far off. When the spirtism was really strong in the 1850's a fair number of the people believing in that version of the afterlife committed suicide to get to that better place sooner.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Progress update: I've spent most of the last few weeks getting videos edited, mostly because some of them needed an awful lot of editing, and I had to throw in a few of those gags that only last about ten seconds, but require hours of work to make them happen. I've got six videos ready for commenting, which takes me through the end of the quests - there are a lot of quests this chapter, and most of them are really good. I just finished recording the commentary for the first video, which won't take long to clean up because I never have much to say during the investigation videos, and I'm hoping to have time to do the combat videos before the end of the month. My plans for June have changed a bit, so I'll have a bit of extra time to work on the LP before I have to stop, although I don't know how much extra time just yet. (I probably won't know until the day before, which is sadly typical.) Meanwhile, I've tested publishing a video by uploading it as private first and then publicizing it, and everything seems to have gone swimmingly, so with any luck, there will be chapter 5 content starting in June. As for the results of that test, the aforementioned grinding video redo with special guest JamieTheD. Don't let the description throw you off; while we do discuss all of the things listed, I exaggerated a bit for comedic effect. We also cover several types of hags, psychopomps, children's poems that are actually riddles, and the Folk I will forever refer to as They Might Have Been Giants. You've already watched me grind - now learn what it was I was grinding.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I rather enjoy the fast-forwarded grind videos. The plot in this game is pretty deliberative, the dialogues are kind of frustrating, but you have to give the developers credit for packing the combat full of lots of weird creatures for thrumpin'. And fairy tales are nothing if not weird.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That was pretty good, yeah. I missed the Folklore folklore chat!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Thanks for your patience, everyone. I've got three videos waiting to be posted, and that will cover the period that I expect to be away - if I even end up leaving at all. Long story that I probably shouldn't tell. That said, just in case, I'm posting this episode entirely from my laptop just to make sure I can still update on the road. Today, as anticipated, we begin the fifth chapter with a look into Ellen's past and a re-examining of everything we thought we understood about how the game works. As you can probably tell, this chapter gets very philosophical about the nature of existence, death, the Netherworld, and how real or unreal any of it may be. Strap in, folks and Folks... this is going to be a wild ride.

Ellen Chapter 5 - Investigation Youtube

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ahhhahahaha! I never saw any of the DLC for this game, so I had no idea about the alternate costumes. Booty-shorts Ellen is the best. :v:

Edit: Is she wearing a wig? You can see strands of her dark hair underneath the blonde. Is that literally a streetwalker outfit? :pwn:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 31, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Ahhhahahaha! I never saw any of the DLC for this game, so I had no idea about the alternate costumes. Booty-shorts Ellen is the best. :v:

I'm pretty sure you unlock a couple of costumes just for beating the game or capturing all of the non-DLC Folks. I don't remember which ones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Is that a leather beret?

• Locked thread