Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I don't typically skip through anything other than the commercials in Austin's podcast, but boy, there are dry sections of this episode. I'm 3/4's through now and only now is it starting to pick up. Makes me wonder just what we missed in that first 90 minutes when they thought they were recording (Steve, c'mon man).

Edit: And Bischoff's laugh is that of a cartoon villain tying a damsel to train tracks.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sounds like both guys were afraid of the real conversation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Heyman's claim about ECW being owed all that money from inDemand came up on WOR tonight and it came up here so I looked it up, turns out they were owed 860,000 from inDemand, Acclaim and their toy deal so I have no idea where Heyman got his figure in the millions. That's from his bankruptcy claim too.

Dave's mini rant on Bryan's rental car was annoying at first but it did make me think "Why didn't they rent him a nice electric car? They rented Del Rio all those loving cars, you can't rent your champion a Tesla?"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Dave's mini rant on Bryan's rental car was annoying at first but it did make me think "Why didn't they rent him a nice electric car? They rented Del Rio all those loving cars, you can't rent your champion a Tesla?"

Yeah, that probably would've been the best way to it if you feel you have to show Bryan's car. Still, as Dave later brought up a much bigger problem with Bryan's portrayal as champ is him regularly running away and getting punked out, not driving a Chrysler 300.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

The PSPcast is probably dead forever because The Goog got some job that doesn't allow him to be up til 1 AM and the Hulkamatt has some job and whenever they say "We'll record on Tuesday" it means "We'll record never."

:( I enjoyed it while it ran, have fun with actual employment, guys.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

MassRafTer posted:

Or perhaps a Prius, as he used to claim he had.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Are those even available to rent frequently?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Any time I had to rent a car I rented one of the cheapest pieces of poo poo ever. I would continue to do so if I were world champ. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Literally every rental company has an option to rent a hybrid and I'm sure you can specifically request a Prius if you're a regular customer like I'm sure wrestlers on the road 300 days a year are.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I doubt it, unless you can find one of those luxury rental places. It's rare to even see one on the road. Yeah they rented fancy cars for Del Rio but I doubt he drove them any further than from backstage to the ramp.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Literally every rental company has an option to rent a hybrid and I'm sure you can specifically request a Prius if you're a regular customer like I'm sure wrestlers on the road 300 days a year are.

I don't rent often so I was just wondering. I've only ever seen them to rent in Orlando, but that's such a massive tourist hub I didn't really consider it indicative of anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostpilot posted:

Makes me wonder just what we missed in that first 90 minutes when they thought they were recording (Steve, c'mon man).

He did it AGAIN? :stare:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

who the hell cares if Daniel Bryan rents a hybrid or not

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Wazzu posted:

:( I enjoyed it while it ran, have fun with actual employment, guys.

We'll 100% be back next week, Goog or no Goog.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oatgan posted:

who the hell cares if Daniel Bryan rents a hybrid or not

is it a hybrid dolphin?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole argument that Bryan should have a chauffeur, a limo, wear a suit is absurd, because someone needs to tell Dave that not every wrestling world champ is Ric Flair. Flair, or Triple H or Orton should absolutely have those things, because their characters are rich playboy types, who would probably shell out for that treatment even without the belt. That doesn't mean that Ricky Steamboat should've started flashing his Rolex every week, and come out with babes on his arms after wining the NWA title, because Ricky was a family man. And as noted by some dude on Twitter, Austin drove a pickup truck and wore jorts. (Austin also closed most shows on top, but y'know...) Bryan's character is a crunchy granola hippie type, and a man of the people. If he starts having personal assistants, drivers, wearing flashy clothes and driving fancy cars, he comes off like a phony.

Bryan himself running scared from Kane is a bigger issue. Have him bundle Brie into a car, absolutely, because he's afraid Kane will try to hurt her, but he should be staying to fight, more a "Leave the girl alone, it's me you want!" thing.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Meltzer you KNOW Bryan has a bus anyway so blow it out your rear end

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The car complaints were very stupid

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I did enjoy Dave realizing that they're going to "Rey Mysterio" Daniel's reign.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I didn't really mind the car complaint but I remember seeing the conversation coming the second it appeared on screen.

Running away should have never happened though, that was really, really, really, REALLY bad.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

triplexpac posted:

I did enjoy Dave realizing that they're going to "Rey Mysterio" Daniel's reign.

What does that mean?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

HulkaMatt posted:

We'll 100% be back next week, Goog or no Goog.

No Goog, no buys. :colbert:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What does that mean?

Really lovely booked title run where the champion is constantly made to look weak as hell.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Daniel Bryan posted:

Really lovely booked title run where the champion is constantly made to look weak as hell.

Yeah, there are basically two teirs of "World Champion" in the WWE. You can be a World Champion like HHH, Rock, Orton (usually), etc... or you can be a "world champion" like Jack Swagger or Rey Mysterio.

One group is seen as the top guy and protected as such. The other group does not get that same protection.

Why they give a prominent title to someone they don't want to protect I have no idea.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, there are basically two teirs of "World Champion" in the WWE. You can be a World Champion like HHH, Rock, Orton (usually), etc... or you can be a "world champion" like Jack Swagger or Rey Mysterio.

One group is seen as the top guy and protected as such. The other group does not get that same protection.

Why they give a prominent title to someone they don't want to protect I have no idea.

Because their response is generally to act like petty children when fans get sick of them giving us the same poo poo over and over again at that level. They don't want people to leave but they also don't want the people to get their way so they give them what they want to temporarily appease them and then make what they want look like dogshit thinking they can trick the fans into not liking what WWE never wanted them to like in the first place.

e: although, to be totally fair, they wanted to put him over Batista, which would've been a good thing, and Batista is predictably acting like a big baby

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The running of the way really hurts it. Because he's the face. I don't care if you're a lovely writer and attempting to invoke Horror Movies, He's the HERO. What is with the writers not getting that about Faces?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Onmi posted:

The running of the way really hurts it. Because he's the face. I don't care if you're a lovely writer and attempting to invoke Horror Movies, He's the HERO. What is with the writers not getting that about Faces?

Well that's what we're talking about. They do totally get it. That's why HHH would never be booked to run away from Kane if he was the face in the feud. That's why Rock and Austin never backed down from a fight.

They see Bryan as a little guy that the WWE fans love. "Why wouldn't a tiny little guy run away from a big monster like Kane?" is probably their mentality.

Edit: Thinking about it, did they even book Rey to ever run away from a fight? The guy is always the underdog but his whole thing is he keeps fighting.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Onmi posted:

In horror movies, don't the heroes run away until the end?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Yeah which is why having your fighting champion take the role of a horror movie protagonist is beyond idiotic.

And they're doing it twice. I mean, if John Cena had reacted to "Little Johnny" by turning around and clotheslining Bray Wyatt's head off and then dragging a terrified and crying Johnny to his abashed parents and giving them a disappointed head shake I'd probably be rooting for him now.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 6, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah which is why having your fighting champion take the role of a horror movie protagonist is beyond idiotic.

And they're doing it twice. I mean, if John Cena had reacted to "Little Johnny" by turning around and clotheslining Bray Wyatt's head off and then dragging a terrified and crying Johnny to his abashed parents and giving them a disappointed head shake I'd probably be rooting for him now.

I keep waiting for a face to get so sick of the heels poo poo that he just goes full loving fury mode and, Heel throws a punch? Face slaps his hand away just staring at him. Heel throws a kick? Face just kicks her leg away blocking it. Just so pissed off with righteous fury they don't no-sell the offense, they just shut it down without even bothering to go for a hold, as if to say "I'm done playing games, you hosed up."

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Thinking about it, did they even book Rey to ever run away from a fight? The guy is always the underdog but his whole thing is he keeps fighting.

Congrats, you are the first person to find something positive about Rey's title runs. He did indeed take his squashes head on.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Well, that's why you don't try to recreate a horror movie with your FACE WORLD CHAMPION. I'm not opposed to some supernatural silliness in wrestling and I'd be a lot less bothered if this was a midcard angle.

While I disagree with Dave that he should be seen in a chauffeured limo since that's kinda the opposite of his persona, he absolutely needs to be treated more like the top guy in the company and not a goofy underdog that's depicted as a guy who doesn't quite belong there. He's won now and should be well beyond that, and certainly no face champion should ever, ever, ever, be running away. It's fine if the Authority hates him and doesn't want him on top, but they should be treating him more like he's Austin in that case.

I actually don't think they're intentionally "Rey Mysterioing" him though. They're giving him solid clean victories and wanted to put him over Batista. That could easily be how this ends up if they're not careful though. I think Bryan's great, but as a fan I'm a lot more invested in the Shield's storyline right now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Onmi posted:

I keep waiting for a face to get so sick of the heels poo poo that he just goes full loving fury mode and, Heel throws a punch? Face slaps his hand away just staring at him. Heel throws a kick? Face just kicks her leg away blocking it. Just so pissed off with righteous fury they don't no-sell the offense, they just shut it down without even bothering to go for a hold, as if to say "I'm done playing games, you hosed up."

And the fans want to root for tough guys who don't back down. It's why the Shield are so popular and why every time they try to make a scary heel like Bray Wyatt (or the Shield) they start getting cheered, because they're the only bad motherfuckers who like to fight on the show. It's why Stone Cold Steve Austin was becoming a face even before the official turn in the I Quit match. Randy Orton (or whoever was booking him when he was champ) understands this, when he was heel champ he would lose non-title matches and whine to his bosses to get out of title defenses and be a cowardly chickenshit rear end in a top hat, and people hated him for it. Even people on this forum whined that the champ was losing matches like that's somehow bad or wrong, without realizing it was making them care about the "undeserving" champion and buy into the angle.

Ric Flair was a great heel champion because he never won in a fair fight, and when Kerry Von Erich or whoever would finally got their hands on him they'd beat the hell out of him.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 6, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And the fans want to root for tough guys who don't back down. It's why the Shield are so popular and why every time they try to make a scary heel like Bray Wyatt (or the Shield) they start getting cheered, because they're the only bad motherfuckers who like to fight on the show. It's why Stone Cold Steve Austin was becoming a face even before the official turn in the I Quit match. Randy Orton (or whoever was booking him when he was champ) understands this, when he was heel champ he would lose non-title matches and whine to his bosses to get out of title defenses and be a cowardly chickenshit rear end in a top hat, and people hated him for it. Even people on this forum whined that the champ was losing matches like that's somehow bad or wrong, without realizing it was making them care about the "undeserving" champion and buy into the angle.

Ric Flair was a great heel champion because he never won in a fair fight, and when Kerry Von Erich or whoever would finally got their hands on him they'd beat the hell out of him.

It really is a very simple concept that it's so shocking they get it wrong. It's especially shocking they get it wrong when they used to get it right and- that's actually a lie. The turn over rate for writers is so shockingly high, I'm sure many of them don't really get wrestling.

EDIT: Also I think Ortons biggest problem was that often he didn't cheat ENOUGH.

Like... remember the Raw match after the Slammies and TLC? With Bryan and Orton and the crowd gets so loving into the match and they want to see Orton get his head kicked in and... I'm not even sure it was for the title, I think it wasn't. But he's getting beat and eating the Yes kicks and then he low blows Bryan in full view of the ref.

In a non-title match, it didn't matter if he lost. He could have done it behind the refs back and stolen the pin, he could have took a count out loss, but no, he chose to rob people of a finish they were so ridiculously in to. And even JBL, the heel commentator, had to grumble that he hated the match ending like that because he wanted to see it end properly.

That's amazing heel work.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 6, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I'm sure some of this comes from writers watching horror movies and thinking "Yeah, this will be great!" without realizing pro wrestlers don't work like that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Again, the two main rules of getting someone over:

1. They win lots.
2. They don't lose lots.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Again, the two main rules of getting someone over:

1. They win lots.
2. They don't lose lots.

An extension of this, every angle/segment/etc. should be one of two things, with very few exceptions:

1. Heels getting their asses kicked.
2. Building towards heels getting their asses kicked.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nothing pisses fans off more, even smark fans, than a heel who won't fight. It's the reason why Jericho in WCW was getting absolutely nuclear heel heat -- he'd beat some jobber in a quick nothing match, then taunt the fans while refusing to fight credible opponents like Malenko. Charisma black hole and living :geno: Dean Malenko got a DDP-esque pop just for managing to get Jericho into the ring for a wrestling match.

Monster heels can work in very certain and particular situations (Lesnar), but somehow they became the default mode for WWE which was a gigantic mistake.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's a tough balance though, because it gets monotonous real quick when every heel's a chickenshit heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nothing pisses fans off more, even smark fans, than a heel who won't fight. It's the reason why Jericho in WCW was getting absolutely nuclear heel heat -- he'd beat some jobber in a quick nothing match, then taunt the fans while refusing to fight credible opponents like Malenko. Charisma black hole and living :geno: Dean Malenko got a DDP-esque pop just for managing to get Jericho into the ring for a wrestling match.

Monster heels can work in very certain and particular situations (Lesnar), but somehow they became the default mode for WWE which was a gigantic mistake.

Umaga also made a great heel, because he just beat loving everyone and was so brutal about it, up to and including (Different time and era after all) Maria. He was a killing machine with no remorse, and the feud with Cena shows how you build a credible monster heel opponent, beat him, and have him remain credible afterwards.

The stuff with Lashley, is how you kill a monster heel.

EDIT: Also I wish faces would stop being such jackasses to one another. If a face is outnumbered and being beaten up, hit the loving ring and even the odds. Every no and then Cena/Bryan/Shield will do it, but the faces apparently just don't believe in friendship.

Apparently, if you want people who will watch your back? be a bad guy.

EDIT 2: I just remembered something. The Miz used to be an excellent babyface... when he was a hell. Because his entire character was "I'm loving pissed off at everyone for treating me like a joke when I've tried so loving hard for this. I'm not backing down and am going to butt heads with my opponent."

In fact the way he and Show lost the tag titles was bragging about dominance, and then not backing the gently caress down when Teddy Long kept adding teams to the match, because Miz honestly believed he could take them. And it's like "That's great babyface fire in that heel there"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread