Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Good Citizen posted:

So apparently all the fracking in Oklahoma is causing a huge uptick in earthquakes. The number of 3.0+ earthquakes has risen from <5 a year to more than a hundred a year and it's still increasing rapidly. They've already had more in the first 5 months of this year than in all of 2013, and the USGS just issued an earthquake warning in the state. That's the first time that has ever happened anywhere besides the west coast states.

ooooops

Um, fracking is completely safe and without any consequences whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I don't know if it was this thread or one of the others, but I am listening to that Chumbawumba album of English protest songs that someone mentioned here. It's really fascinating and awesome and it's on Spotify's free service, so give it a listen.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JT Jag posted:

Hey man, you stay out of my space, I stay out of yours. :smug:

By the way, this is all my space. No, none of it is yours. Who says so? I say so! :flame:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Efficient government is another one of those seemingly agreeable ideas that have been turned into loaded nonsense by politics. No one in their right mind is rooting for an inefficient government. Unfortunately the people pushing "efficient government" go about it by cutting a semi-useful program to the point that it loses all effectiveness thus necessitating a new round of cuts that eliminate it entirely or reduce it even further that it can be killed the next time around.

I'd love a more efficient government. My main exposure to any large federal agency has been through the DoD which was eye opening. Ideally one would cut the DoD budget down in order to "starve the beast" forcing it to actually take a hard look at standard procedures and hopefully push it towards a more streamlined, more efficient system. Unfortunately every agency has gotten PR savvy and when cuts are threatened or come down the pipeline they take a hostage.

For instance, lets say you want to cut the DoD operating budget by 5% because they're so huge they can't even do an audit on themselves as in they have no ability to track where their money is going. Ok, sounds reasonable. Well the DoD doesn't want to lose any portion of funding because each individual at the top of the DoD is concerned about where precisely the budget will be cut. Will their department or pet research project be cut? Will their carefully cultivated relationship with private contractors get fouled up by budgetary restraints costing them a (in their minds) hard won cushy retirement gig? And on top of that there is the ever present concern that if you roll over easily and come up with efficiency gains to soften the blow then next time around your budget will get slashed even worse because its just easier. So you fight the cuts. What, in this modern media age, is the easiest way to fight an impending cut? You find a hostage and threaten it. Preferably whatever is the most beloved piece of your organization. The DoD goes after personnel benefits either military retirement or healthcare for service-members. Either are guaranteed to cause a massive uproar, but the uproar is never directed at the agency threatening the cuts*. It's almost always directed at whomever is pushing the budget cuts on the agency in the first place. The best part for the DoD in this situation is either the gambit works per usual and their budget doesn't get cut or it only gets a very modest grazing or the uproar is muted and you get to kill an expensive part of your budget. Win-win.

And all of that is just to get minor budget cuts to force efficiency gains. I have never once heard a good solution to bureaucratic creep. There doesn't seem to be any known way to murder the tendency for large organizations to become ever more bureaucratic over time. I suppose you could burn it all down, but unsurprisingly people aren't willing to do that until the organization has lost all useful functionality, a process which takes ages.

* I have found being in an organization under budget threats and having them reach for your benefits over the other obvious cuts tends to be remembered among the peasants. Good thing us peasants have no power though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Efficient government is another one of those seemingly agreeable ideas that have been turned into loaded nonsense by politics.
The easiest way to tell this is true is the SNAP program. It is dollar for dollar the pinnacle of government spending and mysteriously needs to be cut for 'efficiency.' There isn't a program in the history of the US that is a more efficient use of government funds, and yet, it is always too big and bloated. Even if you completely ignore the stated purpose of giving people food to eat, the stimulus effect alone makes an extremely good value providing $1.84 worth of economic activity for every dollar dispersed.

If you're looking at how well it treats the problem it was founded to solve with the funds it receives, it makes drat near any other public initiative look impotent. The SNAP program provided 47.6 million Americans with food assistance in 2013. If the Healthcare exchange had that many enrollees, the Republican party would have disbanded. The drug war cost about the same as the SNAP program did before the recession, yet the budget hawks never target such an obviously failed government program. Most of the time 'smaller government' simply means harming people you don't like to divert public funds to those you do.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is it me or does this thing in the Ukraine sound like the start of a bad technothriller? I just heard on the news this morning that US fighters intercepted Russian bombers overflying Guam, spy aircraft are taking pictures of US forces in SK and JP, and Navy forces found several russian subs off the coast of California.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Good post, and correct. Also a lot of the defense contractors keep ensuring that they make minor things in every possible congressional district. That way they can go up to their local congresscritters and say "hey, you are going to cut defense spending? Know that you are going to be putting your personal constituant ouit of work, and I will be sure to dump tons of money into the election in two years making sure everyone knows that."

This is also why we have such militarization of the police. Do you think my small hometown of 4000 people really needs urban assault vehicles? Not at all, and they hate having it, but it was given to them because poo poo, someone has to buy these expensive toys.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

420DD Butts posted:

Yeah? And I've got some spring water I'd like to sell you.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is there a reason why I shouldn't support kids being allowed to choose which public school they want to attend? It seems like a really great idea and I'm surprised that my state (NC) is actually going through with it.

It seems like some Republicans are for it and some against. I can see why many would be against it I can already see the letters to the editor: "You mean some inner city thug will be able to go to school with my daughter? We moved out here to get away from all that!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cimber posted:

Is it me or does this thing in the Ukraine sound like the start of a bad technothriller? I just heard on the news this morning that US fighters intercepted Russian bombers overflying Guam, spy aircraft are taking pictures of US forces in SK and JP, and Navy forces found several russian subs off the coast of California.

In other words it was Monday.

Bears have been patrolling the arctic since Russia and Canada got into a territorial dispute. You can find a bunch of pictures of F-22s flying in formation with Bears in the arctic for example. We also do the same kinds of things with Russia, you're naive if you don't think we have subs as close to Russia as they can get.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Good Citizen posted:

So apparently all the fracking in Oklahoma is causing a huge uptick in earthquakes. The number of 3.0+ earthquakes has risen from <5 a year to more than a hundred a year and it's still increasing rapidly. They've already had more in the first 5 months of this year than in all of 2013, and the USGS just issued an earthquake warning in the state. That's the first time that has ever happened anywhere besides the west coast states.

ooooops

Not entirely due to fracking though. Most of the bigger earthquakes are related to washer disposal wells that are much earlier than the recent fracturing boom. They have pumped millions if barrels into those wells (likely illegally) and raised the reservoir pressures high enough to break through to the binding formations and relieve some stress. I say likely illegal because most states (not sure about Oklahoma) don't allow injection wells to operate about fracturing pressure. The method for determining this is pretty easy (pump rate vs stabilized pressure and look for a break), but you can pass the initial vertical fracturing plane really early and use the lift the overburden pressure as a maximum point. They also allow "re-tests" where you can hope to get a higher injection pressure to increase rate.

The reason this is tangentially related to hydraulic fracturing is that it increased the need for disposal, people don't like drilling disposal wells, and generally the owners of wells making water pay someone else to take care of it. Once the truck of produced water leaves location it is someone else's problem and if you can't take it, someone else will.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

420DD Butts posted:

So is drinking and driving

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't support kids being allowed to choose which public school they want to attend? It seems like a really great idea and I'm surprised that my state (NC) is actually going through with it.
It doesn't include bus service (presumably because it would be infeasible to run hundreds of special buses, each with two kids onboard). Hence, the freedom offered by the program (in theory) would in fact be available mainly to families who possess two cars and some flexibility in their work schedule (e.g. wealthier folks).

It also has the potential to quickly defund a troubled school:
  • school does poorly on a round of standardized tests (e.g. because of statistical variance; poo poo happens)
  • parents of high-performing students are alarmed; they transfer their children to nearby schools
  • $x of funding is lost from the school budget for each departure
  • school is left with a smaller budget but its fixed costs (e.g. heating, maintenance) remain the same. It must reduce per-student spending (and/or teacher salaries) to make up the difference.
    • Note that schools have some experience in dealing with demographic shifts and long-range planning. The difference here is that you could suddenly lose 10% or more of your enrolment after a bad year and it's very hard to plan for shifts of that magnitude.
  • school now has a higher proportion of special-needs students; it can either neglect them (which will often lead to students becoming frustrated and disruptive) or allocate resources from its general funds (e.g. cutback on textbooks, phys ed, music, or whatever)
  • either way, faculty morale is going to take a hit
  • test scores decline further
  • death spiral
Note: this is based on a five-minute reading of the issue; I'm not from NC and I certainly don't understand it well enough to cast a vote on the issue. I'm just trying to identify some reasons why you might decide to oppose the measure.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ChaosSamusX posted:

I would pay a lot of money to see a really serious political drama with utterly absurd plot elements in the vein of MGS.
You mean 24?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don't forget the implied systematic racism of school choice either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oil! posted:

Not entirely due to fracking though. Most of the bigger earthquakes are related to washer disposal wells that are much earlier than the recent fracturing boom. They have pumped millions if barrels into those wells (likely illegally) and raised the reservoir pressures high enough to break through to the binding formations and relieve some stress. I say likely illegal because most states (not sure about Oklahoma) don't allow injection wells to operate about fracturing pressure. The method for determining this is pretty easy (pump rate vs stabilized pressure and look for a break), but you can pass the initial vertical fracturing plane really early and use the lift the overburden pressure as a maximum point. They also allow "re-tests" where you can hope to get a higher injection pressure to increase rate.

The reason this is tangentially related to hydraulic fracturing is that it increased the need for disposal, people don't like drilling disposal wells, and generally the owners of wells making water pay someone else to take care of it. Once the truck of produced water leaves location it is someone else's problem and if you can't take it, someone else will.

Yes, fracking can be done with minimal environmental damage compared to other methods.

Too bad thats more expensive so nobody will ever do it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey I've been busy moving this weekend. I made some updates to the op last night, I'll try to get the May thread up tonight, but I have a Dems shindig for the primaries so no promises

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I live in a massive blue state (Illinois) but it is not the best thing in the world. It seems like we are behind even some red states. Simply living in a blue state does not remove the stain of corruption.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

GulMadred posted:

It doesn't include bus service (presumably because it would be infeasible to run hundreds of special buses, each with two kids onboard). Hence, the freedom offered by the program (in theory) would in fact be available mainly to families who possess two cars and some flexibility in their work schedule (e.g. wealthier folks).

It also has the potential to quickly defund a troubled school:

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with all of that but for now it seems like a small step in the right direction. At first only the kids with parents care about what school their kids go to and can afford (and have time for) the extra travel expenses will be able to get in and I'm sure many public schools will find some way to say they're maxed out (when they're not) or will find a way to get the right sort of kids in their schools.

I really don't mind if some "troubled schools" fail because of it as long as the kids are given access to transportation to better schools when they do fail and they're not forced into private schools. So eventually more kids will have access to better schools and schools will become more economically (I hate the idea of all the poor kids going to one school and the rest going to another) diverse. The schools that survive will grow and will have to hire more teachers to accommodate the growth in students.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That's cool, its just that until that school fails, the kid is sort of trapped in a lovely learning environment.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

"A school failing" is not really a (routine) timely thing, it doesn't occur after a lousy semester.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey I've been busy moving this weekend. I made some updates to the op last night, I'll try to get the May thread up tonight, but I have a Dems shindig for the primaries so no promises

Ask em what kind of open source campaigning tools they need. I'm still sitting on that empty VPS.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It seems like some Republicans are for it and some against. I can see why many would be against it I can already see the letters to the editor: "You mean some inner city thug will be able to go to school with my daughter? We moved out here to get away from all that!"

I don't think NC is going through with it anymore: http://www.wral.com/lawmakers-table-statewide-school-choice-idea/13619864/

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Install Windows posted:

Larger governments are more efficient.

I'm going to resurrect this because I'd love to see some evidence for this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with all of that but for now it seems like a small step in the right direction. At first only the kids with parents care about what school their kids go to and can afford (and have time for) the extra travel expenses will be able to get in and I'm sure many public schools will find some way to say they're maxed out (when they're not) or will find a way to get the right sort of kids in their schools.

I really don't mind if some "troubled schools" fail because of it as long as the kids are given access to transportation to better schools when they do fail and they're not forced into private schools. So eventually more kids will have access to better schools and schools will become more economically (I hate the idea of all the poor kids going to one school and the rest going to another) diverse. The schools that survive will grow and will have to hire more teachers to accommodate the growth in students.

NC had the most well integrated schools post-CRA. Now since NC is GOP Uber Alles, there's a big push for vouchers to charter schools and all of this other poo poo that has basically re-segregated the schools.

NC isn't the first though, I think Alabama or another state in the same area currently has more segregated schools than they did in the 50s and 60s.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Cheekio posted:

Ask em what kind of open source campaigning tools they need. I'm still sitting on that empty VPS.

I'm still sitting on an empty private GitHub repo. :smuggo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Berke Negri posted:

Itll be worth it once we displace Putin providing gas to Europe :smug:

or the midwest splits down the middle

oooppps

The middle of the country collapsing you say? There's a funny SF short story from the mid-60s about that and what it'd do to politics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Nebraska_Sea
Full text transcribed here: http://alternatehistory.net/discussion/showpost.php?s=926f5cca49ddf42c88d680d03effe2d5&p=1111920&postcount=6

Amergin posted:

Ever had to go to the DMV in two different states, one that relentlessly cuts the budgets for things and one that doesn't? It's just one example, but man you're out so much faster when you've got 10 stations open at the office rather than 2.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Install Windows posted:

The middle of the country collapsing you say? There's a funny SF short story from the mid-60s about that and what it'd do to politics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Nebraska_Sea
Full text transcribed here: http://alternatehistory.net/discussion/showpost.php?s=926f5cca49ddf42c88d680d03effe2d5&p=1111920&postcount=6

That is actually why there are so many shale plays extending from Texas through Alberta.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretaceous_Seaway

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, fracking can be done with minimal environmental damage compared to other methods.

Too bad thats more expensive so nobody will ever do it.

Yeah but that would harm the JOB CREATORS.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah but that would harm the JOB CREATORS.

I always love this one: doing things safely often requires more people so creates more jobs. But that means less money goes into the investor's pockets!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The easiest way to tell this is true is the SNAP program. It is dollar for dollar the pinnacle of government spending and mysteriously needs to be cut for 'efficiency.' There isn't a program in the history of the US that is a more efficient use of government funds, and yet, it is always too big and bloated. Even if you completely ignore the stated purpose of giving people food to eat, the stimulus effect alone makes an extremely good value providing $1.84 worth of economic activity for every dollar dispersed.

This is really interesting, can you source it so I can refer back to it later?

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Rep. Trey Gowdy Tapped to Lead Benghazi Panel: Former Federal Prosecutor Named to Head Republicans' New Investigation in 2012 Attacks

quote:

WASHINGTON—House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) said Monday that Rep. Trey Gowdy (R., S.C.) will lead a special panel being created by Republicans to investigate the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks that killed four Americans in Benghazi, Libya.

The selection of Mr. Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor, will make him the point man in a political battle with Democrats and the White House over GOP allegations that the Obama administration engaged in a coverup in its response to the attacks. Mr. Boehner said in a statement that Mr. Gowdy is "as dogged, focused and serious-minded as they come."

"I know he shares my commitment to get to the bottom of this tragedy and will not tolerate any stonewalling from the Obama administration," Mr. Boehner said.

The September 2012 attacks on the diplomatic post in Benghazi, which left U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three others dead, have become a political flash point in Washington. Republicans have accused the White House of being unresponsive to congressional inquiries, while Democrats have said Republicans are embracing conspiracy theories and care more about political motivations than the actual attacks.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said the new investigation isn't "legitimate oversight," but instead a politically motivated move. Mr. Carney said the administration doesn't cooperate with probes it doesn't believe are legitimate, foreshadowing that Mr. Obama is unlikely to go along with the new House investigation.

Mr. Carney noted that the White House has already cooperated with seven "legitimate" investigations, and participated in 13 hearings and 50 briefings on Capitol Hill on Benghazi. "This is a conspiracy theory in search of a conspiracy," he said.

:suicide:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
And I'm sure the White House is just quaking in its boots at the prospect of another open-ended fishing investigation.

I love that this move is so transparently political that even some Republicans are saying "It looks political, but IT'S NOT GUYS I SWEAR IT THIS TIME".

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 6, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Amergin posted:

"Big government" or "large government" is a completely meaningless messaging term used for "things I don't like" so I'm not sure what there is to discuss, beyond how stupid it is that sound bytes infect and dumb down discourse even among the politically aware.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is that guy's reputation staked on finding something, to the point where he would make poo poo up?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well if that's not an "impeachment!" Signal to the base I don't know what is. This weekend Fox had some fool rep whose name escapes me on during the correspondents dinner calling for impeachment over Benghazi. Looks like they are really going for it. I wonder if we will get someone shooting pumpkins this time as well.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Install Windows posted:

Ever had to go to the DMV in two different states, one that relentlessly cuts the budgets for things and one that doesn't? It's just one example, but man you're out so much faster when you've got 10 stations open at the office rather than 2.

But (and I know this is a horrible analogy) my experience in working in businesses large and small is that, yes you will always have inefficiencies, but in larger companies with more siloed employees and responsibility distributed wider, things are less efficient. Smaller companies, smaller pool of employees, more hats worn by everyone, it's more stressful BUT poo poo gets done quickly.

This is part of the reason why I would try and adjust things to make firing employees easier and encourage a more "meritocratic" system. Would it be truly meritocratic? Of course not. But if you can reward federal employees for effort and curb the number of employees down to those who are most effective, possibly boost their pay, I would hope things would quicken.

I know "Curb government bloat rah rah" is a common trope thrown around but I think the idea that a larger government is more efficient just doesn't hold water. Curbing employee count while not trying to encourage efficient work is obviously going to just make things worse - you're cutting budgets to say you cut budgets but you don't actually solve anything.

If there were some stats/studies on larger government being more efficient, I'd love to see it. The analogy to businesses for economies of scale doesn't really hold water to me because I'm talking internal efficiency, whereas economies of scale would be more analogous to foreign relations (which would boil down to military economies of scale, I suppose).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So Kerry is telling Congress to take their subpoena and shove it.

I fully expect contempt of Congress charges. What happens then?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
The problem that this argument is that, by capitalist standards, efficiency is basically austerity by definition. It is about getting the maximum amount of work done for minimal expense/employees. This has led to serious structural problems in our society, as mentioned in the Gilded Age 2.0 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good Citizen posted:

ooooops

Wait. I thought earthquakes were caused by tectonic shifts, surely fracking can't cause the Earth's crust itself to shift.

• Locked thread