Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I like Bauer's other work, though I haven't read that particular one yet. The global history she's working on of everything from the dawn of literacy in each culture as it occurs across the globe is still ongoing, but up to the mid-Middle Ages now and I'm finding it a great quick "grab and read a chapter" or "look up this particular event/year/happening" resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any recommendations for something on the planning/logistics/development of the interstate highway system in the US ?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

head58 posted:

Any recommendations for something on the planning/logistics/development of the interstate highway system in the US ?

The Big Roads: The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighway is basically precisely that. And surprisingly readable for a book mostly about engineering and politics.

I enjoyed it and doubt there's a better single volume out there that covers this topic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I would also add to that, that you might want to get some books on the Pennslyvania Turnpike, the New Jersey Turnpike and the New York City metropolitan area Parkways as important context on the development of the first high speed automobile roads in the country; which produced experience in highway design that was vital to the later Interstate system. Among other things, the design standards for the PA and NJ turnpikes for curves, elevation changes and sightlines were adapted practically verbatim into Interstate design standards.

Unfortunately I don't have any particularly good books to name for them.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

head58 posted:

('sup, fellow Roderickian?)

Might be tangential to your question, but Robert Caro (later famous for his ongoing multi-volume biography of LBJ) wrote a 1300 pg biography of Robert Moses, the man behind billions of dollars worth of city planning projects and highway development in New York (city and upstate). If you're interested in 'planning/logistics' in the sense of politicking, rather than engineering, it's what you're looking for.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

WoG posted:

('sup, fellow Roderickian?)

Yup. Nailed it. This week's ep gave just enough info (and possibly misinfo) to get me curious.

Thanks everyone. My library has The Big Roads so I'm grabbing that today.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Can anyone recommend a good book about Pizarro's conquest of the Incas?

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now

Sam. posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book about Pizarro's conquest of the Incas?

Funny you should mention that, as I just started the book The Last Days of The Incas by Kim McQuarrie which so far is very engaging and well-written.

Ezzum fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 11, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Has anyone read Lost White Tribes: The End of Privilege and the Last Colonials in Sri Lanka, Jamaica, Brazil, Haiti, Namibia, and Guadeloupe? Is it any good, reviews I've seen are pretty mixed but then again they are amazon reviews. Also does it avoid the obvious pitfalls its subject matter invites?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What are some good books about the american "wild west"? I'm in australia so most of my exposure to that kind of thing has been through popular media, so I don't fully understand it and it's significance. I'd like to know more about the catalyst for the expansion and discovery as well as what life was actually like out there and how communities were built and sustained throughout that period

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

screaden posted:

What are some good books about the american "wild west"? I'm in australia so most of my exposure to that kind of thing has been through popular media, so I don't fully understand it and it's significance. I'd like to know more about the catalyst for the expansion and discovery as well as what life was actually like out there and how communities were built and sustained throughout that period

Author Dee Brown has many good nonfiction books on the American West, the closest to what you'd want is probably Wondrous Times on the Frontier, or maybe The American West (haven't read that one) for a general history, but his most important work is Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee about the destruction of American Indian tribes from their point of view, from extensive research by primary source materials such as transcripts from meetings between tribal leaders and government officials. There's a lot of romanticism about the American West and this book really shows a sad and disturbing look at the tragedy of it from those who paid the price of westward expansion, from a viewpoint you don't often get elsewhere. It's not a distant and objective history book, you won't read much about violence on settlers or between tribes, but it's important to read to get a more complete picture of the history of the American West.

A few months ago I read Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne. It covers about a 100-year history of the Comanches from the 1800s, focusing on Quanah Parker and his mother Cynthia Ann Parker, whose life the book/film The Searchers was loosely based on. It can get very graphic with the violence between the Comanches and settlers, but it's an interesting history from around the beginning of recorded contact with the tribe to their displacement to a reservation. One complaint was that the focus on Quanah and Cynthia Ann sometimes feels like you aren't getting the bigger picture, but that limitation is probably from a limitation of source material from the era.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Another good one is Comanche Empire by Pekka Hamalainen, which covers the tribe from the early 1700s up until the late 1800s when they were forced onto the reservation (which the book argues didn't happen from military defeat as much as environmental factors like drought and overhunting of buffalo).

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Any recommendations for a detailed look on everyday life, war and religion during the reformation years in northern Europe? I'm mainly researching for the years around 1500-1550's and in the german, dutch and scandinavian area. Ships, weapons, food, art, anything can be of interest.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PlushCow posted:

Author Dee Brown has many good nonfiction books on the American West, the closest to what you'd want is probably Wondrous Times on the Frontier, or maybe The American West (haven't read that one) for a general history, but his most important work is Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee about the destruction of American Indian tribes from their point of view, from extensive research by primary source materials such as transcripts from meetings between tribal leaders and government officials. There's a lot of romanticism about the American West and this book really shows a sad and disturbing look at the tragedy of it from those who paid the price of westward expansion, from a viewpoint you don't often get elsewhere. It's not a distant and objective history book, you won't read much about violence on settlers or between tribes, but it's important to read to get a more complete picture of the history of the American West.

A few months ago I read Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne. It covers about a 100-year history of the Comanches from the 1800s, focusing on Quanah Parker and his mother Cynthia Ann Parker, whose life the book/film The Searchers was loosely based on. It can get very graphic with the violence between the Comanches and settlers, but it's an interesting history from around the beginning of recorded contact with the tribe to their displacement to a reservation. One complaint was that the focus on Quanah and Cynthia Ann sometimes feels like you aren't getting the bigger picture, but that limitation is probably from a limitation of source material from the era.

Seconding Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. It's one of the books that got me into seriously studying history, and I think it's a masterpiece.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

PlushCow posted:

Forgot I posted in here, thanks for the suggestions, I think I actually have a copy of bury my heart at wounded knee somewhere already, either way it's already on the list, in the small amount of google searching I did, every list had that on the top

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Does anyone have any suggestions for books that clearly outline military strategies? I ask because I'm tired of reading war history books and being :downs: when they explain things like encirclement and flanking the rear, etc.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone have any good recommendations on the history of Sicily? Also looking for some about the history of Venice/Italian merchant republics in general.

Edit: To be more specific, the history of Sicily from about 1400-1800.

V
Thanks, I'll check those out!

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 22, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trujillo posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations on the history of Sicily? Also looking for some about the history of Venice/Italian merchant republics in general.
Norwich has a history of Venice. I haven't read it, but his stuff is usually pretty good (he did that epic three volume history of the Byzantine Empire).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trujillo posted:

I recommended Roger Crowley's City of Fortune last time someone asked for a history of Venice, and apparently the person bought it and really enjoyed it, so there you go.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Trujillo posted:

Edit: To be more specific, the history of Sicily from about 1400-1800.

V
Thanks, I'll check those out!

"Venice: A Maritime Republic" by Frederic Lane is a good reference.

radlum
May 13, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I recommended Roger Crowley's City of Fortune last time someone asked for a history of Venice, and apparently the person bought it and really enjoyed it, so there you go.

I bought it and I really liked it, I recommend it as well.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
My library didn't have City of Fortune but I picked up Norwich's History of Venice and the closest thing I could find about Sicilian history, "The Lady Queen, the Notorious Reign of Joanna I," anyone familiar with that one? Seems alright so far.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need a recommendation on US history post-Civil War. I'm mostly interested in Reconstruction, but anything covering, say, 1865-1900 would be great. I want to read American Colossus, which focuses on major industrialists in the late 19th century. But first I'd like to read about Reconstruction and the history preceding Carnegie and Rockefeller.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Bagheera posted:

I need a recommendation on US history post-Civil War. I'm mostly interested in Reconstruction, but anything covering, say, 1865-1900 would be great. I want to read American Colossus, which focuses on major industrialists in the late 19th century. But first I'd like to read about Reconstruction and the history preceding Carnegie and Rockefeller.

Well Foner's Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution is always the first recommendation I think.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Antwan3K posted:

Well Foner's Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution is always the first recommendation I think.

Purchased, thanks. I imagine this will be a very depressing read.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Any recommendations on a good overall history of the Byzantine Empire or an overview of Byzantine culture that's available in Kindle format?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Bagheera posted:

Purchased, thanks. I imagine this will be a very depressing read.

Foner's Reconstruction is basically THE seminal work on the period, and yes, it will depress you. For an extra dose of gloom, try Stephen Budiansky's The Bloody Shirt and David Blight's Race and Reunion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pinball posted:

Any recommendations on a good overall history of the Byzantine Empire or an overview of Byzantine culture that's available in Kindle format?

I don't think there is a kindle version, but Byzantium: The Surprising Life of a Medieval Empire by Judith Herrin was pretty good. A beginners book, it covers culture, religion, military, court intricacies over the several centuries history of the empire. It does nothing great, but it was a swell overview for me.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pinball posted:

I really like Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth he did the 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast and its a nice overview of Byzantium.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Anyone know of a good biography of Edward Seaga? Or any other Jamaican politicians, for that matter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What are some good books on the experiences of neutral and non-belligerent countries in World War I and World War II? Preferably not including countries that declared neutrality and later ended up conquered in the same conflict.

insomniacjunkie
Oct 13, 2005
I hack people and molest computers.
Not sure if this one has been posted yet in the thread, I can't find any search results and can't be bothered to scour all 23 pages. I would like to post the following history book. It was fascinating.

Lincoln
by David Herbert Donald

quote:

A masterful work by Pulitzer Prize-winning author David Herbert Donald, Lincoln is a stunning portrait of Abraham Lincoln's life and presidency. Donald brilliantly depicts Lincoln' gradual ascent from humble beginnings in rural Kentucky to the ever-expanding political circles in Illinois, and finally to the presidency of a country divided by civil war. Donald goes beyond biography, illuminating the gradual development of Lincoln's character, chronicling his tremendous capacity for evolution and growth, thus illustrating what made it possible for a man so inexperienced and so unprepared for the presidency to become a great moral leader. In the most troubled of times, here was a man who led the country out of slavery and preserved a shattered Union; in short, one of the greatest presidents this country has ever seen

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/106590.Lincoln

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Last Days of the Incas was recommended earlier and I'm really enjoying that despite some repetitiveness in spots. Any other recommendations for good books touching on the Spanish and/or Portuguese in the New World?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The Last Days of the Incas was recommended earlier and I'm really enjoying that despite some repetitiveness in spots. Any other recommendations for good books touching on the Spanish and/or Portuguese in the New World?

Conquest: Cortes, Montezuma, and the Fall of Old Mexico by Hugh Thomas is a great read.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Just about to finish Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine who Launched Modern China by Jung Chang and really enjoying it. It touches on a lot of topics - the development of China's industry, its relationship with the West and Japan, the Boxer Wars as well as her personal relationships.

I'm about to go on a Chinese history binge and have Wild Swans and Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe lined up. I'd love a good broad history of China too - any recommendations? I'm thinking either John Keay's or Harold Tanner's (two volume) China: a History?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Mao's China and After by Maurice Meisner is essential imo.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Seams posted:

Mao's China and After by Maurice Meisner is essential imo.

Cool thanks, I'll check it out!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Would mythology be broadly considered history? Because I'm trying to find a decent primer of sorts for slavic mythology, Svarog, Veles, that sort of thing and the only thing I've been able to find thus far is some kindle book that's about 100 pages long and was literally written in the 1910's. Anyone know of anything good that covers slavic mythology?

Also I guess while I'm here I should give my own recommendation of something I finished recently: By The Sword by Richard Cohen. It's a (mostly) complete history of swordsmanship and dueling/fencing in particular, mostly focusing on the western world but occasionally covering the east, written by a retired olympic fencer. For a guy who as far as I know didn't really have much writing experience when he first wrote it the book is extremely readable and never even approaches any sort of dry, overly academic tone. It's obvious that Cohen is hugely passionate about the subject matter and that's really reflected in the writing. Reading it kind of felt like sitting down in front of an old expert to listen to them tell you all they know, if that makes any sense. If you're looking for an entertaining and educational look at sword fighting I highly recommend it.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for books that clearly outline military strategies? I ask because I'm tired of reading war history books and being :downs: when they explain things like encirclement and flanking the rear, etc.
Honestly if you go to wikipedia for military tactics and then just start clicking every link you find it's a pretty good way to get a basic grasp of things like that. One day a few months ago I just went to the page for "enfilade fire" cuz hell if I knew what that meant, a few hours of fascinated clicking later and I'd basically gone through tactics 101.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

clarion ravenwood posted:

. I'd love a good broad history of China too - any recommendations?

Cambridge History of China if you have some disposable income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seeing as there is a lot of discussion about China already, I'm looking for a book that focuses on the Chinese Warring States period and the Qin's wars of unification; I've some alternative media that is really fun to experience but I'd rather have a solid background of the actual history.