Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Migishu posted:

So, a ticket came in:

user can able to log in to this application just so happpened that the navigation on this page is the issue or the connection on this

Ticket Closed : User can able to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

A ticket came in:

"SYSTEM WAS UPDATED BUT MACHINE WAS NOT THEY ARENT COMMUNICAT"

:eng99:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Hey thread!
I've been working in my college's computer labs as a lab consultant this past year, which meant making sure nothing exploded. It's only 6 hours a week but I could pick up extra shifts and it was easy.

I decided to stay at school over the summer, and when I asked my boss about work instead of giving me 12 hours per week, she recommended me for a desktop technician job. It pays $10 per hour, and my new boss said "work as much as you can, there's tons of money in the budget" and I get to keep it during next year. I hope that counts as YotJ!

Downside is taking tickets from help desk. In my training the first ticket I got alone was, "Pop up blocker not working" so I went to chrome, saw there was no pop up blocker installed and installed one, and my trainer started laughing and told me to do a virus scan and he was right.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Standalone pop-up blockers still exist? I thought every browser already comes with that feature.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Guy Axlerod posted:

Standalone pop-up blockers still exist? I thought every browser already comes with that feature.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's standard now.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
The one I installed (and ended up uninstalling) was really old.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Nerdrock posted:

Ticket Closed : User can able to log in.

I wonder what would happen if you'd actually respond this way.

:newlol: My desk top not working. Work please.
:newlol: Working desk top. Working working.
:newlol: Please desk top working working desk. Top!
:newlol: Working working top. Desk desk, please.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
See Desk Top.
Work Desk Work!
Please Work Desk.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

eithedog posted:

I wonder what would happen if you'd actually respond this way.

:newlol: My desk top not working. Work please.
:newlol: Working desk top. Working working.
:newlol: Please desk top working working desk. Top!
:newlol: Working working top. Desk desk, please.

Pokémon IT

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in last night

Client at a remote site(90 minutes to 2 hour drive from the office) was having issues with their PC. Windows wasn't booting and wasn't giving an error message, the client said their were no other PCs available and needed someone to get this fixed asap. The only person available was one of the new hires that started yesterday. So they sent him onsite on an after hours onsite call.

Turns out the customer was full of it. The PC itself was broken, but there were a dozen PCs available. She didn't want to move her small stack of paperwork to another desk. She then told the onsite guy that she expects the PC fixed and returned by 4pm today.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in last night

Client at a remote site(90 minutes to 2 hour drive from the office) was having issues with their PC. Windows wasn't booting and wasn't giving an error message, the client said their were no other PCs available and needed someone to get this fixed asap. The only person available was one of the new hires that started yesterday. So they sent him onsite on an after hours onsite call.

Turns out the customer was full of it. The PC itself was broken, but there were a dozen PCs available. She didn't want to move her small stack of paperwork to another desk. She then told the onsite guy that she expects the PC fixed and returned by 4pm today.

Quote: $1500 + time and materials.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Quote: $1500 + time and materials.

quote from the manager "Since we got the call before we were closed, bill at the standard onsite rate"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I guess it shows the new guy what kind of company you work for and what type of customers he should get used to dealing with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You now realize that everyone who has to track their time has added you to their hate list. What's up next - free food?

I literally put an hour down for everything, I don't know how long an issue took, somewhere between 1 and 60 minutes is how long everything took. I've not been questioned about it, its kind of insulting that people want me to track literally all of my time.

Just give me work and tell me it needs to be done by X and it'll be done by X. If not, it'll be done in the timeframe our SLA say's it will.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Unfortunately, my place was going to go with "we want the full 8 hours of what you've done today" in ticket format. I think they got a universal "gently caress off". I can see how this place got so bad, all the older guys just sorta go "ok" but then will agree when all the newer guys complain.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 6, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just have to track my billable time, not all of my time for the day. If I had to do that there would be a lot of invoicing for "Utilized ergonomic chair technology to rest my tuchas."

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
A sign came in, years ago.

How often have you read every single dumb sign plate at work? After a new employee told me to double check ours for a laugh, I discovered this one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CDW posted:

How often have you read every single dumb sign plate at work? After a new employee told me to double check ours for a laugh, I discovered this one.

I would add 'Vending Machines' to that in a heartbeat

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

CDW posted:

I had to read that out loud three times to pronounce "Techonolgies"

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I was going for the Swedish chef thing, but this works as well.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

eithedog posted:

I was going for the Swedish chef thing, but this works as well.

:confused: "What happened to the servers?"
:newlol: "Bork bork bork bork!"

We have to fill in time worked on tickets, but it's more a 'ballpark it so we know what our customers are bugging us about' thing. If I had to be more precise I'd probably hate it.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I just have to track my billable time, not all of my time for the day. If I had to do that there would be a lot of invoicing for "Utilized ergonomic chair technology to rest my tuchas."

I am supposed to be pressing a button on a ticket to start the clock when I am working on a case, and then press it again when I am not. So what they want me to do is start timer on case A, work case A, get call on case B, stop timer on case A, start timer on case B, finish call on case B, stop timer on case B, go back to case A, start timer on case A, etc. 75% of my time needs to be put on cases. Luckily we can just add time to cases, and that is what I do, especially since I tend to work on 2-3 things at once.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I am supposed to be pressing a button on a ticket to start the clock when I am working on a case, and then press it again when I am not. So what they want me to do is start timer on case A, work case A, get call on case B, stop timer on case A, start timer on case B, finish call on case B, stop timer on case B, go back to case A, start timer on case A, etc. 75% of my time needs to be put on cases. Luckily we can just add time to cases, and that is what I do, especially since I tend to work on 2-3 things at once.

Jesus christ, that would drive me absolutely mental. I already don't handle being micromanaged well - it being done to that degree would probably make me lose my mind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus christ, that would drive me absolutely mental. I already don't handle being micromanaged well - it being done to that degree would probably make me lose my mind.

For an MSP that is pretty standard. You can't really remain in business if you don't bill for your time...

I think it only gets dumb when you get told "You're expected to be at work for 8 hours per weekday, and you need to be able to account for all 8 hours on this sheet here."

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
An email came in from one of my coworkers. "Hey, I switched over the AV on the servers for this service you manage to the new product. I didnt ask you anything before doing this, but I followed this technet article for file exclusions. Lemme know if breaks." Today, service is running like poo poo. Dude included exemptions for the application, sure, but ignored the stuff it runs on top of, like, i dont know, SQL Server, reporting services, IIS. I dont need your lovely AV network inspection breaking replication or stopping clients from hitting the web front end. When I'm the SME on poo poo, please talk to me before you do poo poo to my poo poo. poo poo.

CDW posted:

When we first moved into our new office space there was a sign placed on the door to the helpdesk/infrastructure area that read "Authorized Personnel Only." If you walked down the hall from that door and turned right, you came into the area from the other side where there was no door. :eng99:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a ticket came in:

Need to help a client setup a webcam to work in skype. What they actually wanted. Setup a 7 year old Handicam to work as a webcam in skype. To be fair, it does appear to be an option.. in windows XP. No support for it in windows 7, and the client insists that he had it working pre-os reinstall due to virus.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

See Desk Top.
Work Desk Work!
Please Work Desk.

This reminds me too much of those C:\dos run shirts that were popular amongst nerds in the 90's. poo poo made my knuckles itch.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in:

Need to help a client setup a webcam to work in skype. What they actually wanted. Setup a 7 year old Handicam to work as a webcam in skype. To be fair, it does appear to be an option.. in windows XP. No support for it in windows 7, and the client insists that he had it working pre-os reinstall due to virus.

It would cost more in man hours for you to try and fix that than just going to Microcenter or Best Buy and get a 20 dollar camera.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 6, 2014

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Well, no tire track or footprint. Turns out the battery is doing its best to imitate a deployed airbag and buckled the palmrest. Bummer. I was looking forward to ranting about executives.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, if you have to switch between the projects (alike to what SubjectVerbObject said), however if you're working on one thing it makes things easier. Right now we gave up on this approach and I miss it when I have to say what I've done on this/that day, or when I fill up my sheet of "what was I was supposed to do / what I was doing". Even next day when I try to remember what did I do, I cannot really explain what were these 8 hours spent on. Sometimes I write in my notebook: A took 4, spent 10m on B; but then what did I do with rest of time?

On the other hand we work in open space and people see I'm not watching cat videos all the time.

YMMV I guess.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

For an MSP that is pretty standard. You can't really remain in business if you don't bill for your time...

I think it only gets dumb when you get told "You're expected to be at work for 8 hours per weekday, and you need to be able to account for all 8 hours on this sheet here."

Not an MSP. All of this is work on customers with maintenance contracts. They just want to be sure we are actually working on tickets.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

We have a new hire that reads but doesn't comprehend emails. In one eye and out the other.

My email: We have a new Thing, it isn't in box A with the other Things, it is in a new box, B.
Reply email: I tried to find the new Thing but it wasn't in the box with the other Things.

Just read your emails!! Also when this new hire has a problem that can't be solved the expected way they take the traditional route of 'give up or immediately ask for help' instead of 'try to use brain and think of alternate way to solve problem'.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Not an MSP. All of this is work on customers with maintenance contracts. They just want to be sure we are actually working on tickets.

Which is absolutely terrible when you have to do in-house things and no one makes or allows you to create a ticket for it because it "Skews the numbers", to hell with "The numbers" what about my numbers, especially when you bitch at me at the end of the day that you did Nothing

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

we have a dope-rear end coffee machine.

and yeah first week I was there we had 2 pizza days.

Sorry guys :(

Was this MSP in Manhattan? You sound like you came from the same MSP I did...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo someone is about to lose their job. I guess someone on the patch management team was doing something with endpoint manager and pushed out a patch to ALL Windows servers, I guess what he missed was that the patch required a reboot after install. So every single one of our Windows server just rebooted. Our entire EHR/EMR system, Exchange, AD, etc etc.

edit: So apparently he was just doing a normal PING command to the endpoint managed servers, but what he didn't know was included in that command was a reboot as well. Oops, 914 Windows servers just rebooted, in the middle of the day, during the busiest time of day!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 6, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

I... what?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CDW posted:

I would try really hard to get that sign replaced so I could keep the old one for my desk.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

blackswordca posted:

quote from the manager "Since we got the call before we were closed, bill at the standard onsite rate"

Former restaurant manager spotted.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mattfl posted:

edit: So apparently he was just doing a normal PING command to the endpoint managed servers, but what he didn't know was included in that command was a reboot as well. Oops, 914 Windows servers just rebooted, in the middle of the day, during the busiest time of day!

How the hell do you accidentally append a reboot command to "ping"?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

He said something about boxes and default settings and he does this all the time. I guess he missed a step this time or something.

Entire EHR/EMR/PACS systems across 55+ hospitals nationwide went down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

"Ping (of Death Resurrection)"

• Locked thread