Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Momplestiltskin posted:

Update! Season Two, Episode Three: "In Vino Veritas" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkqnktSNIg8

e: voting is now open for the next ship

It's private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Mehuyael posted:

It's private.

You sir, are a liar.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This sentence is a lie.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Engi A Let's go with that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They said I would get to meet the Lanius. They said dying would be fun. They never said the captain and first mate would be drunk piloting a ship with no shields or clone bay.

You lied to me.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

They said I would get to meet the Lanius. They said dying would be fun. They never said the captain and first mate would be drunk piloting a ship with no shields or clone bay.

You lied to me.

It's good to see the Federation Propaganda Posters paid off.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I figured you were doomed when you picked the Rebel Sector. It was almost as horrible as I expected the sector would be.

Voting for the Zoltan B because a beam+ion combo from the start sounds nice.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well if you wanna be suicidal (and have a slick paint job), I'll go with the Federation C, we haven't used a C ship, or the Artillery Beam.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Major_JF posted:

Yeah, this sounds neat.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Last night I got a loadout of Flak 2, Halberd Beam, Flak 2 that I picked up for free. Then I sold the second 2 when I realized I couldn't use all three... and bought a Flak 1 instead. With a pre-igniter.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Major_JF posted:

I disagree. Engi B. One engi versus the might of the rebel fleet.

Optional condition. No recruits after you have the captain and one other passenger. All other recruits must be vented into the great wastes of space. This is a tight operation, and most recognised it to be a suicide mission. The only person who came forwards was a lone engi, with no charisma and a deathwish. The mission has few crew, and even less hope for success.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
I think it's only fitting to take a Zoltan ship after that experience. From no shields to a supershield. I am leaning towards the Zoltan C which also loads you up with power by giving you four zoltan crew members and an upgraded battery.

dragoat
Mar 21, 2012

YOU STOP THAT
I third (or fourth, however many) the zoltan ship votes, I've been playing a lot of Zoltan A.

First run with it I beat the flag ship but every run after that I can't seem to get very far
before I'm completely screwed over, usually due to weapons getting hit and being unable to repair in time.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Another Person posted:

I disagree. Engi B. One engi versus the might of the rebel fleet.

Optional condition. No recruits after you have the captain and one other passenger. All other recruits must be vented into the great wastes of space. This is a tight operation, and most recognised it to be a suicide mission. The only person who came forwards was a lone engi, with no charisma and a deathwish. The mission has few crew, and even less hope for success.

Have I not suffered enough?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You think you have finished suffering? FLT would stand to disagree. It would disagree on every encounter. I would only really want to see you try the run once tho.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Momplestiltskin posted:

Have I not suffered enough?
No. Beat the game on normal with one of the ways I have. Federation Cruiser C no weapons beyond the Flak Cannon you get at the start. :getin:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Play as Mantis B. The thread needs to see the beauty of a 4-mantis teleporter.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

my dad posted:

This thread needs more people like you.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Yeah, this. Go go bug man machete squad.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Go Mantis C because it has a 4-man teleporter and a clone bay for maximum "FTL Grim Reality" effect.

Board Lanius ships! Board droneships! Send all four guys over into an airless hell because hey, you have more where that came from! And besides, it's not like your weapons can deal hull damage, so if you want to kill that droneship you'll have to do it by tearing down its systems bit by bit. Did you know that a level-2 clonebay can regenerate 2 crewmembers in almost exactly the amount of time it takes a level-1 teleporter to cool down?

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Mantis B, just because the 4-man medbay and the 4-man teleporter are literally right next to each other.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Ice_Mallet posted:

Mantis B, just because the 4-man medbay and the 4-man teleporter are literally right next to each other.

True, it is also fun when the other ship sends a boarding party right into the waiting arms of your own 4 man squad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Major_JF posted:

True, it is also fun when the other ship sends a boarding party right into the waiting arms of your own 4 man squad.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I'm a jump on the mantis band waggon. Play Mantis B and cut everyone up, Name the ship Scyther

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
All my victories over the flagship are on easy, EXCEPT that I beat it with all three variants of the Zoltan ship on normal. Zoltan C.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Mantis B or Mantis C, spread fear through all the sectors.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nalesh posted:

Mantis B or Mantis C, spread fear through all the sectors.

I want to see the mantis master race go on a rampage.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Mantis B all the way. I propose we name it the Roach Coach

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mantis B

But also the condition that you recruit no one but Mantis

Time for a bug human hunt :black101:

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 6, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Jumping on the Mantis B bandwagon, it'll be a nice change from the slog that the Stealth B was. Unless you run into non-stop autodrones in sector one, but that's FTL for you.

Someday I will get three more Lanius on the Mantis C. A four-man Lanius boarding squad would be a wonder to behold.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inadequately posted:

Someday I will get three more Lanius on the Mantis C. A four-man Lanius boarding squad would be a wonder to behold.

Honestly a 4-man boarding squad of just about anything except Engi wreaks face. Very few enemy ships can muster an effective defense against that kind of assault. 4-man Lanius actually might end up working against you because the enemy crew will run away from you once at critical health, rather than stand in a room with no air. Probably the best boarding crew possible would be 3x Lanius, 1x Crystal (remember they take reduced asphyxiation damage) so you can easily lock them in with you instead of having to rely on hacking or a crystal bomb.

4-man Zoltan would be pretty hilarious actually, so long as you have a clonebay!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

4-man Zoltan would be pretty hilarious actually, so long as you have a clonebay!

Get their health low via asphyxiation, fire a missile on the room you'll teleport them to, send 'em over, two missiles for the price of one! :yarr:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Mantis B

But also the condition that you recruit no one but Mantis

Time for a bug human hunt :black101:

I had a game sort of like this recently. Somehow ended up with 6 Mantises(!), including the legendary captain dude. I also had a human pilot and an engi engine/repair guy to keep things alright at home though.

Everything was going fine until I got a fight that sends some boarders right at the start- I send 4 mantis over and keep two with the engi to fight off their boarders, which they do, until a stray missile got through and killed all three.

Then I started hitting ships with med/clone bays, anti-personnel drones and large crews that my mantis couldn't take down fast enough and I had no weapons/hacking to disable their bays and I lost two mantis by loving up and not paying attention. I thought it was over.

But then I got 2 rocks, and then two more mantis so it was back on! Still had a frustrating lack of weaponry, but I made it to the flagship. "Ahahaha, I got you now, just gonna take out the missiles..."

It was on hard. I died.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Momplestiltskin posted:

Update! Season Two, Episode Three: "In Vino Veritas" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkqnktSNIg8

e: voting is now open for the next ship

Now that you've done that ship the only ship that can follow it up is Stealth C! :getin:

I kid, you should use Crystal B and have some fun.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis ship please. :bandwagon:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Because of this thread I started playing FTL after picking it up in a Humble Bundle a year ago. Four weeks later I have 100 hours logged on Steam.
Because I want to continue to see you suffer, I say you should pick up Slug B, because gently caress that ship and everyone who thought this was a good idea. Holy poo poo I hate it so much. (The Rock cruiser was the last non-Crystal ship I unlocked because I could not for the life of me get a win with a Slug cruiser until today.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That challenge ship someone posted.

Suffer. :getin:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Pierzak posted:

That challenge ship someone posted.

Suffer. :getin:

Nah, you gotta make him feel safe for a bit before knocking him down again.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
After the cloak ship... I think you deserve a break. Next ship after that one should be Engie b though.
For now... Zoltan c or Mantis any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Engi A because it was my first win and it's fun to play a bit differently

• Locked thread